Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dingbat

Hi folks. Looking for some ID4 advice. Not the greatest time this century to be buying a car (new or used) but our old machine has given up the ghost.

I'm putting in an order for an ID4 this week (fingers crossed) but am in two minds about the heat pump. I intend having the car for 8-10 years so am looking at the expense in that context.

It seems like more and more models are coming with a heat pump as standard, and from what I've read about them with regard to BEVs in general it seems to be an entirely sensible thing to do in order that the car should be as efficient as possible. For the ID.4 the heat pump cost quoted by the salesman is €1181.

Can anyone attest to the real world impact of a stock ID.4 vs an ID.4 with heat pump?

In making the purchase, I'm envisaging, say, 5 years time when the battery might be at a little lower capacity and having the tiny bit of extra range might seem a lot more valuable.

Edit to add: my wife has Reynaud's and is a sea swimmer. Given her condition she has significant issues with circulation so (when I'm not in the car) can have the heat turned right up to get herself defrosted. The heated seats and steering wheel as standard are brilliant, but given we had heated seats in our old car also I know the jacked-up heat will still be happening in the ID4.

Huge thank you for any help.

Post edited by dingbat on

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Personally I’d avoid the heat pump. If you pre heat the car before leaving that should do the trick . Plus that may take longer to get if ordered.

that said if one is available now then given the stock issues you probably wouldn’t say no.

I’d say write out what your typical trips are. Will you need it? Typically I drive 40 km a day but on odd days may double. Then once off trips of 400+ km where I’ll need to charge anyways at some point. Even if the battery has decreased to 70% I don’t see a real benefit unless your planning 200km a day round trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The general consensus is that the heat pump isn't worth the amount they're charging

They're great pieces of kit, and when they added them to the original Leaf they really saved some of the winter range loss. But they should be included as standard and not an extra

They're also most efficient when they're on a low setting, so cranking the heat up will probably result in similar consumption to cars without the heat pump

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

IIRC I calculated when I bought my ID.3 that I would need to drive a million Km to pay for a heat pump. Probably with the price drop of heat pump and the rise in electricity costs that may well be half a million km or so now.

The real advantage would be if it meant you did not need to stop to charge on a regular journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Anyone having issues with the app, it keeps freezing and then closes. I'm on 2.2.11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

I had a freeze with it earlier today alright but seems to be working fine now

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. I don't hang around in the app. It usually hangs and crashes when I do.

Thanks.

The two big use cases for us when we're considering the heat pump are as follows:

a) Dublin-Belfast round trips and Dublin-Wexford round trips. Multiple times per year, and sometimes on back to back to back days. No charger at the other end in either case. Trip home to Dublin starting around 11pm.

b) Dublin to Clifden with everything in the car and bikes on the back (I'm ordering the tow hitch). Sometimes a family tent too. I'm not as concerned about this one because it's the sort of thing where I know the road backwards and can plan my times and stops appropriately. However, on a late night drive with kids already in pjs in the back I'd really prefer not to stop. Have done this round trip in a day before and will doubtless need to again, but not fully laden.

Most of our regular driving is otherwise in and around Dublin so not at all concerned as we have off street parking so will get a charger in.

I just know in my bones that they'll just start putting it in as standard right after we order one 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Hi

My ID4 is due to be built next week (yippie) how long on average does it take for it to arrive in Ireland and get to the dealer? If it 3 or 4 weeks we are looking at mid June and then I might just wait to get 222 reg?

Thanks

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭micks_address

im build week 20 which is next week as well or week after? ive been told it should or could be in for july.. i think if its any time from end of may onward id be asking for a july registration.. if you don't your car will be priced same as jan 2022 car when you go to trade

Well the good/bad news is that all the ID cars are basically sold out for 2022, so if you order now you'd be getting the 2023 spec anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm also in for Build Week 19 which is next week. Rang the dealer on Tuesday and he said it might be built but could just as easily be pushed another few weeks

Even if it is built next week, he said it's hit and miss if it'll arrive before July and to expect some time in July for the delivery date... hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

😥

As I said to dealer just let me know when its built and Ill be on the first plane out to Zwickau to pick it up....I am still going to be optimistic on delivery.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dave Barry

Does anyone have an issue where voice control keeps self activating randomly?

I was actually tempted to do the pickup in Dresden but they only let German customers do that, everyone else just gets a factory tour (which admittedly still sounds pretty cool)

That just turns off the VW voice activation yeah? Hey Google will still work after its deactivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Dave Barry

I just turned off the wake function so it should only now activate by hitting the voice control button on the steering wheel. Yes Google/Siri should be completely independent to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Anyone else get the ID4 fault ‘electric drive not working correctly, please visit workshop’?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Got it on the ID3 twice. Get out and lock the car and leave it about 10 minutes and it'll go away.

I drove the car when it happened to me and it worked fine.

Had the infotainment freeze and not come on today leaving Dublin. Had to wait till got home to lock and unlock car.

first time to do it

Also noticed today with a good headwind really reduced the battery %

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Has anyone got roof rails and a roof box for their id4? Did they get the official box or something like a Thule? The "official" 460l box is close to an eye-watering grand

While we're all sitting on 2.3 (hopefully), here's a preview of 3.1:

Trip on the binnacle is nice. Climate on the home screen widget is nice too.

Having the ‘OK’ button on the steering wheel as the hang up button would be nice aswell

Surely that would be a software update issue and not a hardware issue

VW were looking for feedback on the wheel controls through a survey on their FB group. In the free text feedback I suggested the OK button should have a purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’ve my touch screen set up to show the trip/consumption beside each other and have it always on display (quick swipe right) but it will be great to have it in the binnacle, so much unused space there at the moment

Question - how many people have customised their home screen, or even know you can do it?

First thing I did when I got the car, but I wouldn’t be surprised if most didn’t bother.

Gave the car a long overdue clean, was starting to turn white from all the bird droppings 😬

Nothing like looking at a clean car to cheer you up 😁

I tried some plastic trim cleaner on the bumpers and side skirts. It does seem to have made a difference, plastic is a much darker colour now. You can see the diff in a few spots that I missed

(Apologies for the fuzzy photos, my camera lens got cracked)

• Advertisement

good to see this, but when will it get released ? I see 2.4 has been delayed yet again. Surely the focus has to be getting 2.4 out before winter 2022 at this stage

Advertisement