Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

So with the Max you get the travel assist ?

Travel assist (lane keep "ping pong" in the 1st)
    Power seats with massage (heated only on the 1st)
    12" display vs 10" on the 1st
    HUD - Bob loves this
    Wireless phone charging (2 USB C front + 2 USB C rear only on 1st)
    360 camera and rear camera which "turns" as you turn the wheel (Rear view camera only on 1st)
    Adaptive chassis
    Electric open/close boot.

21" wheels (20" on 1st)
    Pano roof
    Funky lights that do "tricks" and are Matrix headlights (LED with auto dip on 1st)
    A few extra lights (door handle lights, light bar on the dash, fancy turn signals) - Welcome lights in the 1st model only.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

And automatic boot, 360 cameras, electric seats (with massage), HUD, and a few more bits!

All the trimmings :D

I didn't realise the automatic boot was only on the max, glad I went for it now as that's a nice feature to have

Closing your own boot is so last decade :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Travel assist (lane keep "ping pong" in the 1st)
    Power seats with massage (heated only on the 1st)
    12" display vs 10" on the 1st
    HUD - Bob loves this
    Wireless phone charging (2 USB C front + 2 USB C rear only on 1st)
    360 camera and rear camera which "turns" as you turn the wheel (Rear view camera only on 1st)
    Adaptive chassis
    Electric open/close boot.

21" wheels (20" on 1st)
    Pano roof
    Funky lights that do "tricks" and are Matrix headlights (LED with auto dip on 1st)
    A few extra lights (door handle lights, light bar on the dash, fancy turn signals) - Welcome lights in the 1st model only.

The matrix lights do look pretty cool, and from the tests they seem very useful on unlit roads at night

They'll blank out sections of the full beams when it sees other cars, so you can keep the full beams on without blinding other drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

No wireless charging on the 1st? Only on Max? Thats a pity.

No wireless charging on the 1st? Only on Max? Thats a pity.

A few of the guys over on the ID.3 forum have been asking about adding the wireless charging plate. It sounds like the interface under the center console is the same on all trims so it could be as easy as just getting the part and swapping it

I don't have any phones that support wireless charging, and I believe Android Auto only works via the wired connection so I'll be using USB all the way

I do like how the phone can be hidden away under the cover, good for removing any temptations to gawk at your phone while driving

• Advertisement

A few of the guys over on the ID.3 forum have been asking about adding the wireless charging plate. It sounds like the interface under the center console is the same on all trims so it could be as easy as just getting the part and swapping it

I don't have any phones that support wireless charging, and I believe Android Auto only works via the wired connection so I'll be using USB all the way

I do like how the phone can be hidden away under the cover, good for removing any temptations to gawk at your phone while driving

It says apple carplay is wireless, so it'd appeal to those sheep buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Where this car excels is in delivering a family friendly car with an almost octavia boot and roof rack and tow bar with good range. That's a lot of boxes ticked which the leaf, ioniq, niro and kona don't have.

This is a game changer and sets a new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

It says apple carplay is wireless, so it'd appeal to those sheep buyers.

As a ID.3 owner who was recently fleeced :D , must say the wireless Car Play is great, particularly the sat view on Google maps.

And the phone charging curve is quite similar to my car:), flies if you plug it in with under 20%, a bit slower from about 50- 80%, then crawls the last 20%.

I think wireless Android auto is promised too isn't it?

I don't know, they didn't mention it on the ID.3 specs previously, but would be surprised if it wasn't available also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

From what I have read, the wireless Android Auto works as long as your phone is running the latest version of Android.

From what I have read, the wireless Android Auto works as long as your phone is running the latest version of Android.

Cool, my phone is a pixel so generally up to date!

Cool, my phone is a pixel so generally up to date!

I've a OnePlus 3T so it's running Android god knows what version, doubt I'll ever get wireless Android auto

Luckily I think it's incompatible with all the spyware the Chinese and American governments are using :D

EDIT: Apparently I'm running Android 9, I didn't even know there was an Android 9, whatever happened to 8???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Android Auto works wirelessly on the ID.3 with the recent software update so can't see it being an issue on any ID.4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

Impressed.

4-A2-CD958-F99-A-4771-8-C14-0102-D7-DD05-C8.jpg
    2-A320-C73-5914-4155-B306-D635-CC60-C595.jpg
    EDD0-F582-C71-F-4894-B627-82441-E3-C40-D3.jpg
    B748-BE83-CEE9-40-BD-AA06-3-D3-EDA3768-CF.jpg
    F52-E7830-C0-DC-431-F-8-F74-CED2-C1-EE0-AEE.jpg

Looks great Mark, thanks for sharing those pictures :)

Anything in particular you liked or disliked about the car?

Also please post a link to the video when it's published

B pillar is huge, if you've the passenger seat at a certain point, the headrest with the pillar is significant.

100% (or I'm nearly sure it was 100) displayed 325kms. 2 degrees outside and it has obviously had many different people driving it so I wouldn't go by that range compared to a one driver ID4. Very stable range however at motorway speeds. A solid, solid car and one that felt premium. As I was the only one to have the car today, I wasn't being rushed so hopefully it will be a fairly in depth look.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Check the software version @MarkN..... its in Settings somewhere.

0783 is the 2.0 version.

If its a smaller number than that its on the original software which doesnt do battery heating quite as well and might affect your efficiency figures so its worth noting what you have for your tests.

I think it's 0784 in the ID.4, but as KC says above it's worth checking..

eagerv wrote: »

I think I say a guy in Netherlands testing his ID.4 and it said 0783 as well

Hopefully they didn't put the software for the wrong car on it :D

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    B pillar is huge, if you've the passenger seat at a certain point, the headrest with the pillar is significant.

Does it create a big blind spot? Or at least bigger than on another car?

How was the blind spot detection (the lights on the mirrors)?

I think I say a guy in Netherlands testing his ID.4 and it said 0783 as well

Hopefully they didn't put the software for the wrong car on it :D

I am not sure, but remember one of the Youtubers (Battery Life?) mentioning something about the 4 for The ID.4..

I am not sure, but remember one of the Youtubers (Battery Life?) mentioning something about the 4 for The ID.4..

I remember that too which was why I was a bit surprised to see 0783 on an ID.4

Does it create a big blind spot? Or at least bigger than on another car?

How was the blind spot detection (the lights on the mirrors)?

Bit of rubber necking required at times. Messing around with the passenger seat will probably solve it.

I didn’t check the software and now it’s too late but I was under the impression from others that it was the latest. I didn’t have any issues with it anyway - the ID3 I had was quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have my doubts on this too.

The initial version in the ID.3 had 0564. An interim update had 570 and the latest is 783. There is nothing in those version numbers to suggest that the last digit represents the model.

I'd say someone put 2x2 and got 22.

9am tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

MarkN wrote: »
    9am tomorrow morning

Just release it now!! What’s the idea of doing it at 9am? I assume it works better for views, but interested to know how

digiman wrote: »
    Just release it now!! What’s the idea of doing it at 9am? I assume it works better for views, but interested to know how

It’s only uploading at moment and is 95gb. No point putting it live at 2.30am or whenever my Virgin has it up but yeah generally, you upload when your channel is busier / viewers are awake which is easy to work out in YouTube analytics

Great review, thanks Mark!

Thanks for measuring the boot and showing the blind spot detection, both look great :)

• Advertisement

Great review, thanks Mark!

Thanks for measuring the boot and showing the blind spot detection, both look great :)

Was that 125cm wide including the little pouches at the side, or just the floor?

Advertisement