Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'd set off driving to the Costa del Sol tomorrow, if they'd let me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

If anything I'd feel better about driving an EV in Europe than Ireland. Most European countries have vastly superior charging networks to here and between Plug surfing and Chargemap that's most of the networks covered for payment

I think the VW we charge card covers a lot of different providers too so makes life a little easier

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob5156

I simply wouldn't take a European trip in an EV, I'd think twice before I'd drive to the west of Ireland and back in one or take a weekend away in Ireland, the charging situation here is a nightmare. Now imagine the planning involved, having the right access cards, apps etc. You pay for Diesel in Euro's not in multiple currencies so the same should be for electric car charging.

By all means get an EV just rent or borrow an ICE for the week or two abroad.

No issue driving from Cherbourg to Berlin & back at the end of last year. The only hassle was one "missing" charging spot between Cherbourg and the first Ionity charger in Abbeville, I had to use one EDF charger at a highway stop which was unfortunately only 50KW.

But I can imagine that with a family this might be slightly different as you have to stop when the car needs to recharge and there is not necessarily a charging option available when the kids need food or a restroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Rob5156 wrote: »
    No issue driving from Cherbourg to Berlin & back at the end of last year. The only hassle was one "missing" charging spot between Cherbourg and the first Ionity charger in Abbeville, I had to use one EDF charger at a highway stop which was unfortunately only 50KW.

But I can imagine that with a family this might be slightly different as you have to stop when the car needs to recharge and there is not necessarily a charging option available when the kids need food or a restroom.

Yeah northern France doesn't seem the best for the high power chargers, lots of 50kW around

The network is getting better all the time though

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I suppose if you take the Ferry to France it's not so bad then at least you're there when you start driving again. To Germany would be more of a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement

I suppose if you take the Ferry to France it's not so bad then at least you're there when you start driving again. To Germany would be more of a pain in the arse.

That's going to be a pain regardless of what fuels your car. Driving close to 1000km is never fun

Saw one of our Dutch friends doing a 300km road trip in his ID.4

https://youtu.be/VwwuUtKj2aM

Average consumption was 195Wh/km, that's pretty impressive for something the size of the ID.4

He did only average 80km/h but unless you live beside the motorway that's probably pretty normal.

He did a midpoint charge but frankly he probably could have made it without charging at all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Rob5156 wrote: »
    I can imagine that with a family this might be slightly different as you have to stop when the car needs to recharge and there is not necessarily a charging option available when the kids need food or a restroom.

Just with ref to long range holiday trips in Europe with kids etc my experience is that regardless of having an 800km range with a tank full of diesel we always planned our stops every 2.5 to 3 hours to stretch our legs, get some food and coffee, use bathrooms etc and most importantly of all switch drivers as myself and my wife's concentration limits, especially on motorways, starts to wane after 3 hours. I can do and have done much longer but it's uncomfortable, potentially dangerous and unnecessary when a 2nd driver fresh from a front seat nap is an option.

It sounds like an id.4 EV would need to be recharged along the same timelines we'd be stopping anyway so a small bit of planning to make sure we're doing so at fast charging stations wouldn't change things too much for us, in fact removing McDonald's as even an option could be a good thing!!

I'd love to be buying an EV which had full legal auto drive so we could nap our way to our destination but I know that's some time off unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Watched the Bob flavin video last night. Very impressed. Have a one year old petrol Tiguan highline on 3 year pcp. Id4 looks like a good option whenever I change. When are they available? Can you get into a top spec one for 43k after grants? Would there be a charger for home install included in that? I wonder what my dealers appetite would be to change after 1 year of pcp. Doing hardly no mileage as have switched to working from home which will be long term even after Covid
    Thanks ,
    Mick

Hi folks,
    Watched the Bob flavin video last night. Very impressed. Have a one year old petrol Tiguan highline on 3 year pcp. Id4 looks like a good option whenever I change. When are they available? Can you get into a top spec one for 43k after grants? Would there be a charger for home install included in that? I wonder what my dealers appetite would be to change after 1 year of pcp. Doing hardly no mileage as have switched to working from home which will be long term even after Covid
    Thanks ,
    Mick

So I'll try to answer as many questions as I can

They'll be available this year from mid March for the special 1st edition, the series models coming later this year

You're not far off the base 1st edition which is quite well specced, the top spec 1st Max is €56k after grants

VW sell chargers but they're not included. They're pretty much as good as any other chargers so I'd recommend shopping around

I'm not sure how dealers approach trading a car with outstanding finance, you'll need to check this with them. If you're trading up to a higher spec car then I imagine they'll be willing to be flexible.

The other option is selling the car with outstanding finance. You'll need to account for paying off the PCP agreement in the selling price. Personally I've no experience of this so not sure whether you stand to lose or gain by it

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    Just with ref to long range holiday trips in Europe with kids etc my experience is that regardless of having an 800km range with a tank full of diesel we always planned our stops every 2.5 to 3 hours to stretch our legs, get some food and coffee, use bathrooms etc and most importantly of all switch drivers as myself and my wife's concentration limits, especially on motorways, starts to wane after 3 hours. I can do and have done much longer but it's uncomfortable, potentially dangerous and unnecessary when a 2nd driver fresh from a front seat nap is an option.

It sounds like an id.4 EV would need to be recharged along the same timelines we'd be stopping anyway so a small bit of planning to make sure we're doing so at fast charging stations wouldn't change things too much for us, in fact removing McDonald's as even an option could be a good thing!!

I'd love to be buying an EV which had full legal auto drive so we could nap our way to our destination but I know that's some time off unfortunately.

Yeah some folks seem to want to do the cannonball run across France, doing it non stop all the way. If someone is commuting then I can understand the desire to get home as fast as possible, but I don't think the same logic applies to holidays. Doesn't seem like much of a holiday to be driving yourself to exhaustion

I definitely couldn't do it myself with two young kids (4 and 1 years old). Doing even a 3 hour drive would be challenging with them

I should warn you however, that a lot of fast chargers are in motorway service stations. I don't know what they're like in France, but if they're similar to Irish ones then you're definitely not going to be finding healthier food than Macdonald's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

So I'll try to answer as many questions as I can

They'll be available this year from mid March for the special 1st edition, the series models coming later this year

You're not far off the base 1st edition which is quite well specced, the top spec 1st Max is €56k after grants

VW sell chargers but they're not included. They're pretty much as good as any other chargers so I'd recommend shopping around

I'm not sure how dealers approach trading a car with outstanding finance, you'll need to check this with them. If you're trading up to a higher spec car then I imagine they'll be willing to be flexible.

The other option is selling the car with outstanding finance. You'll need to account for paying off the PCP agreement in the selling price. Personally I've no experience of this so not sure whether you stand to lose or gain by it

Due a service so might chat to my dealer about it at some stage in March/april

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I could be wrong and maybe L-M can correct me but I think I read that VW were moving to a commission based selling model for the id range and that the price was non negotiable. A set figure for the dealer for every unit sold. Following Tesla I suppose. Any discount is an over valuation of the trade in.

Sorry, just saw this.

In Germany and some other countries they have gone agency model or whatever it’s called, but in Ireland, no, it’s the same as normal. If you’re not getting money off shop around. Obviously money off when not trading something in.

When trading in, still shop around. It’s not about what you’re getting for your car or how much you’re get the 4 for. It’s what you’re paying. Ie the “cost to change”.

The amount of people that try get money off the new car when they have a trade in and don’t realise it doesn’t work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Orebro

L-M wrote: »
    Sorry, just saw this.

In Germany and some other countries they have gone agency model or whatever it’s called, but in Ireland, no, it’s the same as normal. If you’re not getting money off shop around. Obviously money off when not trading something in.

When trading in, still shop around. It’s not about what you’re getting for your car or how much you’re get the 4 for. It’s what you’re paying. Ie the “cost to change”.

The amount of people that try get money off the new car when they have a trade in and don’t realise it doesn’t work like that.

What could someone realistically expect off the list price of a new ID model if not trading in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

I should warn you however, that a lot of fast chargers are in motorway service stations. I don't know what they're like in France, but if they're similar to Irish ones then you're definitely not going to be finding healthier food than Macdonald's :)

My experience of French motorway service stations is that whilst their fuel price has a "captive audience" premium built in (nothing too punitive) the food is generally very good. There's always s good selection of fresh filled baguettes (ham and brie being my favourite) and salad bowls so never a problem stopping at the motorway service stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Hi folks,
    Thanks ,
    Mick

Pcp change after 1 year is possible but very tricky as often there is no equity in the pot at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Orebro wrote: »
    What could someone realistically expect off the list price of a new ID model if not trading in?

At this stage I'd say nothing. There is a lot of demand for this car with the usual buzz and excitement. If you don't want it at full price there will be 3 others who will.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Lantus wrote: »
    At this stage I'd say nothing. There is a lot of demand for this car with the usual buzz and excitement. If you don't want it at full price there will be 3 others who will.

dealer told me that with the ID.3 so went to another who knocked 2k off the price..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

dealer told me that with the ID.3 so went to another who knocked 2k off the price..

I presume you are talking about the "cost to change price" there?
    i.e. you were trading in and so you got offered more for your trade in?

As opposed to a cash buyer and getting €2k off the RRP?.... as I doubt a dealer would have anything close to €2k to play with in a cash deal on these cars.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »
    I presume you are talking about the "cost to change price" there?
    i.e. you were trading in and so you got offered more for your trade in?

As opposed to a cash buyer and getting €2k off the RRP?.... as I doubt a dealer would have anything close to €2k to play with in a cash deal on these cars.

Detective work says no. Straight deal.
    When do they expect your car?
    Said i wasn't fussed as not trading my current one in but they think 2 weeks.. hes going to ring me tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Detective work says no. Straight deal.

:-) Internet never forgets - yep, cash buyer, no trade-in.. Dealers always have room to move; i'd expect even more room when you're trading up..

:-) Internet never forgets - yep, cash buyer, no trade-in.. Dealers always have room to move; i'd expect even more room when you're trading up..

So you are saying that you bought one of the ID.3 1st edition cars and you got €2k off the RRP price in the brochure?.... there must be more to the story than that or the dealer short changed himself or something.

I still doubt they have €2k total profit not to mind to give you €2k discount and still have profit.

The 2 prices for the ID.3 1st were 33,715, 40,570. Are you saying you got a full €2k off one of those prices?

Fair play to you if you did.

Was that just a standard ID3 1st, or the Max (or whatever the crème de la crème version is called)?

So you are saying that you bought one of the ID.3 1st edition cars and you got €2k off the RRP price in the brochure?.... there must be more to the story than that or the dealer short changed himself or something.

I still doubt they have €2k total profit not to mind to give you €2k discount and still have profit.

But fair play to you if you did.

For the benefit of us all... explain how you saved 2k off the ROTRP.

The 2 prices for the ID.3 1st were 33,715, 40,570. Are you saying you got a full €2k off one of those prices?

Fair play to you if you did.

No back story & was the middle version - i went to a dealer, did the test drive, got back, told the dealer i was very interested if he would do me a deal - he said he couldn't for some reason or other (list price was great price, first edition, movers club, selling fast, lucky if i can get it etc..) - there was no move in him at all so I said thanks but was looking a deal - turned up at another dealership and said to the lad if does me a deal on it then i'd commit there & then and he did. maybe he needed to hit a quota cause it was month end.

No back story & was the middle version - i went to a dealer, did the test drive, got back, told the dealer i was very interested if he would do me a deal - he said he couldn't for some reason or other (list price was great price, first edition, movers club, selling fast, lucky if i can get it etc..) - there was no move in him at all so I said thanks but was looking a deal - turned up at another dealership and said to the lad if does me a deal on it then i'd commit there & then and he did. maybe he needed to hit a quota cause it was month end.

Looking back, it looks like you bought via a company so that somewhat explains it. I guess they have more wriggle room in that scenario.

i.e. you paid a good bit more than €38k for your ID.3 1st plus?

Looking back, it looks like you bought via a company so that somewhat explains it. I guess they have more wriggle room in that scenario.

i.e. you paid a good bit more than €38k for your ID.3 1st plus?

correct - i didn't get the grant. was asking them about the ID.4 as was planning to upgrade but he says he can't see much movement in the list price..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Sorry to say lads but anyone who paid list for an ID3... just didn’t shop around. Straight deals especially. Made me sick reading here people paying full list in Dublin.

Sorry to say lads but anyone who paid list for an ID3... just didn’t shop around. Straight deals especially. Made me sick reading here people paying full list in Dublin.

If you went into a Carlow dealer with a wad of notes he'd rather loose a sale before letting the car go for 100 Euro's less. :D

• Advertisement

Interesting. For straight cash, what sort of money of the ROTR price IS a deal? We'd be interesting in the id4, and I'd sell my own privately, and any deal I can get would greatly increase my wife's chances of agreeing.

Advertisement