Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

I'm looking into the ID4 and see that VW have prices for home charger install. Dealer gave a rough price of €900, and while I'm not overly familiar with the options for chargers (trying to research and get up to speed now) is the VW charger a good choice? Or is there benefits to getting it done separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

dave oc wrote: »
    I'm looking into the ID4 and see that VW have prices for home charger install. Dealer gave a rough price of €900, and while I'm not overly familiar with the options for chargers (trying to research and get up to speed now) is the VW charger a good choice? Or is there benefits to getting it done separately?

I went with theirs & cost me 1200 (included fitting)- the software on it was pretty basic but that was back in November - haven't connected to the charger since. I like the look of it personally..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

cannco253 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned a few pages ago about scrappage deals on the ID.4.

I see that Divanes in Kerry and Blackwater motors in Cork seem to be offering something, but am wondering if this is nationwide?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2698052
    https://www.blackwatermotors.ie/volkswagen/new-vw/id4/

If you're doing a straight purchase I'd recommend getting in touch with Divanes at least, seem to be willing to do the best deals from the dealers I've contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

cannco253 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned a few pages ago about scrappage deals on the ID.4.

I see that Divanes in Kerry and Blackwater motors in Cork seem to be offering something, but am wondering if this is nationwide?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2698052
    https://www.blackwatermotors.ie/volkswagen/new-vw/id4/

Joe Duffy don't seem to be offering scrappage, I think it's down to individual dealers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Any ID4's in Ireland yet. Heard one was due in this week or next but can only be used as a Demo/test car.

ANYONE else hear this?

Pretty sure i just saw a transporter full of them on the M50 coming from Dublin port there earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Doonbegman

My wife ordered her ID.4 1St from Tom Harvey's in Thurles, Co. Tipperary. She dealt with Andrew Shakespeare who is very knowledgeable and gave her a good deal.

Doonbegman wrote: »
    My wife ordered her ID.4 1St from Tom Harvey's in Thurles, Co. Tipperary. She dealt with Andrew Shakespeare who is very knowledgeable and gave her a good deal.

What's a good deal ?

Finance , cash ? loan for cash deal etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks Andrew :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    Thanks Andrew :D

Ha ha! No I'm not, I'm much better looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

An I right in thinking that because I got the free charger installed in 2017 that I'm not eligible for the home charge point grant?

• Advertisement

An I right in thinking that because I got the free charger installed in 2017 that I'm not eligible for the home charge point grant?

One grant per mrpn I think

What's a good deal ?

Finance , cash ? loan for cash deal etc ?

It was a straight deal on PCP. We looked at trading her car in (a 131 520d M-Sport), but I spoke with a number of dealers and I felt that we will get more for it selling it privately. Now that may or may not happen but it is a risk that I am willig to take.

As L-M says it pays to shop around and every deal is different and what constitutes a "good deal" can have other variables than just the price of the car such as the attitude of the dealer, after sales service, location etc. Indeed a dealer that gives you the best deal this year may offer you the worst deal the next, it really does depend on how desperate they are to sell you a car at that moment. I'm just detailing my experience with this particular dealer on this occasion that is all-if someone wants to find our for themselves they can phone them or send them an email.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

It was a straight deal on PCP. We looked at trading her car in (a 131 520d M-Sport), but I spoke with a number of dealers and I felt that we will get more for it selling it privately. Now that may or may not happen but it is a risk that I am willig to take.

As L-M says it pays to shop around and every deal is different and what constitutes a "good deal" can have other variables than just the price of the car such as the attitude of the dealer, after sales service, location etc. Indeed a dealer that gives you the best deal this year may offer you the worst deal the next, it really does depend on how desperate they are to sell you a car at that moment. I'm just detailing my experience with this particular dealer on this occasion that is all-if someone wants to find our for themselves they can phone them or send them an email.

That's why I like the Tesla model of selling

What's the big deal in disclosing the price?

Are VW going to take out that salesman if the find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

latency89 wrote: »
    That's why I like the Tesla model of selling

What's the big deal in disclosing the price?

Are VW going to take out that salesman if the find out?

You like the Tesla model of selling because they have a monopoly and get full retail price off everyone and offered terrible trade ins???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

L-M wrote: »
    You like the Tesla model of selling because they have a monopoly and get full retail price off everyone and offered terrible trade ins???

Same price for everyone is fair

This negotiating rubbish and friend of a friend price is annoying as hell

Love the Tesla model, I don't negotiate price of a slice pan in Tesco

No but you can goto aldi and buy it cheaper if you care.

The Tesla ‘model’ costs them sales you can’t really trade against one of you have anything worth anything

But you can negotiate anything, building a house, buying a couch, buying a TV. If you don’t to negotiate that’s fine and the Tesla model can be the Vw model, just don’t ask for a discount.

Just because you don’t like asking for a discount doesn’t mean everyone else has to suffer.

If there was more than one Tesla dealer it would be considering price fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I am bad at negotiating and don't enjoy it, so I avoid buying goods and services where negotiating is common, because if I buy those things I know that I am paying for someone else's better negotiating skills.

Also, Tesla is loss making so I feel like dumb speculators are paying for my car.

I don't begrudge the good negotiators though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

Quick question for anyone knowledgeable - have ordered the ID4 for self & a PHEV of a different make for herself. 1st time buying new / signing up for PCP. The financial side and implications of balloons etc I’ve researched in depth and am happy with the decision.
    The part I’m unsure about are the extras the dealer is trying to sell, mainly gap insurance (in case of writeoff), ceramic coating of paint, some snake oil treatment of interior (sounds like a load of crap) and insurance of bodywork / scratch repair. Their selling points are protecting the equity at the end etc. I can see some value in the gap insurance, but the rest sounds a bit of a rip off. Even the gap insurance seems suspicious as most insurers would cover like for like replacement at least during the first year.
    What are people generally buying into in this case? Seems to add a fair chunk on top of each PCP. Nothing unmanageable but not sure if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

The gap can be worth it, you can track your ID4 on the app though so you can always chase after them.

The rest - politely decline.

• Advertisement

omgapuppy wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone knowledgeable - have ordered the ID4 for self & a PHEV of a different make for herself. 1st time buying new / signing up for PCP. The financial side and implications of balloons etc I’ve researched in depth and am happy with the decision.
    The part I’m unsure about are the extras the dealer is trying to sell, mainly gap insurance (in case of writeoff), ceramic coating of paint, some snake oil treatment of interior (sounds like a load of crap) and insurance of bodywork / scratch repair. Their selling points are protecting the equity at the end etc. I can see some value in the gap insurance, but the rest sounds a bit of a rip off. Even the gap insurance seems suspicious as most insurers would cover like for like replacement at least during the first year.
    What are people generally buying into in this case? Seems to add a fair chunk on top of each PCP. Nothing unmanageable but not sure if necessary.

Yeah they were selling the same stuff to me

The gap insurance could be useful if the car is written off in an accident as it'll cover any outstanding finance so you aren't out of pocket

I'm not going to bother with the ceramic coating, sounds like a load of nonsense

The ceramic coating is very good but I wouldn’t get it done in a dealership. Usually (not always) half arsed put on by a very busy Valetor. Also, you’d really want to be “in to” washing and cleaning your car properly afterwards.

As for GAP, you can buy that elsewhere also, online. So shop around if you do want it. There could be 50 percent commission in the policy for the garage so either shop around or offer them less. Most insurance companies offer gap for the first year anyway. (New for old)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As for GAP, you can buy that elsewhere also, online. So shop around if you do want it. There could be 50 percent commission in the policy for the garage so either shop around or offer them less.

I hope your boss doesn’t follow your boards profile or you won’t have a job Monday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The ceramic coating is very good but I wouldn’t get it done in a dealership. Usually (not always) half arsed put on by a very busy Valetor. Also, you’d really want to be “in to” washing and cleaning your car properly afterwards.

As for GAP, you can buy that elsewhere also, online. So shop around if you do want it. There could be 50 percent commission in the policy for the garage so either shop around or offer them less. Most insurance companies offer gap for the first year anyway. (New for old)

Can you add gap insurance after the fact? I was never offered it when I bought my ID3.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can you add gap insurance after the fact? I was never offered it when I bought my ID3.

Try your details here

https://www.carprotect.ie/gap-insurance

KCross wrote: »
    I hope your boss doesn’t follow your boards profile or you won’t have a job Monday! :)

We don’t sell GAP, and I am the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

TitianGerm wrote: »

You can take out gap insurance afterwards, I have taken it out on my last 2 new cars after the purchase, make sure it has RTI and not just cover for outstanding finance so you get back what you paid for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's no ID3 in the drop down.

You can take out gap insurance afterwards, I have taken it out on my last 2 new cars after the purchase, make sure it has RTI and not just cover for outstanding finance so you get back what you paid for the car

Yeah that's what my dealership is selling, they call it combined GAP and RTI insurance. Costs about €400, haven't found it much cheaper anywhere else to make the hassle worthwhile, but I might take another look closer to delivery date

Tbh, I don't get why they didn't just call it RTI insurance, since it pays out the greater of the outstanding finance or the return to invoice. Presumably the RTI amount is always greater?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Yeah that's what my dealership is selling, they call it combined GAP and RTI insurance. Costs about €400, haven't found it much cheaper anywhere else to make the hassle worthwhile, but I might take another look closer to delivery date

Tbh, I don't get why they didn't just call it RTI insurance, since it pays out the greater of the outstanding finance or the return to invoice. Presumably the RTI amount is always greater?

Not sure if this is allowed (I have no affiliation) I bought it last from Munstergroup Insurance in 2018 policy was €275 for 3 years, car was more expensive than ID4 so probably a close enough comparison, but then again insurance companies only like to increase prices. I feel the peace of mind is worth it, certainly when you have a car on the drive that’s desirable to the wrong element.

Advertisement