Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

and said look its pointless getting alignment - you need new tyres

Why not get the alignment done anyway? It has to be done either way.

And are you only calling car dealers? Why not try other tyre centres?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'd probably get the 2 rear (expensive) tyres replaced by VW and then get front replacements from openeo or similar

Apparently the low energy tyres don't have as much tread, so they wear faster (brilliant bit of marketing if it's true)

Last time the Leaf needed new tyres I just went for the cheapest ones, didn't make any noticeable difference to range

The ID.4 will probably need new tyres in the next 12 months and I've no service plan. I'm thinking I might try to get all weather tyres, they'll lose some range in summer but the better grip in winter it probably worth it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

FWIW, I checked OpenEO there for matching tyres and can get a set of all weather Goodyear's for €961 including delivery

I've the 21 inch rims, extra painful when buying replacement tyres

Adding in fitting and alignment will probably take it up the the €1100 that @micks_address was quoted, so definitely worth shopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭micks_address

alignment 75 euro and they said its a pointless exercise as youd need to re align when new tyres go on and they need to go on asap.. im only dealing with VW garages as they are giving me 2 free tyres.. so keeps the cost down a bit... anyone experience of the pirelli tyres? sligo vw said they got good feedback over the bridgestones.. on 21s here as well.. hopefully this set see me out till replacing the car in 1.5 years.. illl definitely be keeping a closer eye on alignment.. seems far to co incidental that even in this thread a few people have had issues..

Few pictures of the tyres

• Advertisement

I've got Pirelli Scorpions and they seem fine after 20,000km or so

Grip on ice isn't brilliant but just driving slowly or avoiding going out in the cold fixes that. I suspect they're about average for summer tyres

Efficiency is fine, doubt they're having any negative effects on range

Personally I kind of treat tyres like a commodity, the energy and grip rating should tell you all you need to know. I don't really care what brand or type of tyre as long as it's got decent grip and will last a few years

Oh, and no self sealing, I'd rather have tyres that I can get repaired rather than sink €250-300 if I get a puncture

With the mileage that I do, I don't feel the extra 5% or so of range or efficiency makes sense for the more expensive tyres

If you're doing long trips every day or two, then I suspect the higher end tyres will make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I think you might be mixing up self sealing tyres with that slime type thing. You can repair self sealing tyres, the sealent is a layer on the inside, not a liquid/slime.

Well the guys who repaired mine said they aren't supposed to repair them and made to promises as to how much I'd get from them

Now a year and probably 7,000km later the tyre is still fine

I'd rather get the non self sealing variety and save the argument

… they said its a pointless exercise as youd need to re align when new tyres go on

I’ve never heard of that. I’d be skeptical of that advice.

im only dealing with VW garages as they are giving me 2 free tyres

right, but you can change the 2 fronts now with your own money using a local tyre centre and use VW later for the other two. You don’t have to deal with VW right now. Get them to pay for the more expensive rears?

id rather have same tyres front and back and get it done at same time.. re the alignment they said id have significantly more tyre thread on new tyres and they always recommend alignment check when fitting new tyres.. so nothing to be gained now getting it checked/set and then replacing tyres in the next week or so.. have put a call in with joe duffy in navan and sheehy's in nass to see what they can do but doubt it be any better. don't feel that comfortable driving for to long on them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

do you need 4 tyres? I replaced my rear. They front are lasting about 10k more.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Good info -

what’s people’s experience of alignment and the dreaded steering wheel not being dead centre?

My i3 went in for its winter tyres, came out with the steering wheel maybe 2deg off- it was perfect. The lad was rough with the jack and breaking the bolts loose by hand. I’d hoped it would revert back to dead centre when the summers went on but no joy- i live with it given the high milage of the car and not 100% on how to rectify.

The id3 tyres did wear more on both front outside edges and I replaced all 4 at 35,000km’s. Was on continentals that I couldn’t really fault. Replaced with Conti All Seasons.

Sometimes I feel like the wheel isn’t quite dead centre but again that depends on the road. Maybe just a fraction off.

The question is who aligns the steering wheel to dead centre once the 4 wheel alignment is done ? And how do they know without finding a dead straight and flat road. It’s something I may have to do but don’t / won’t go to some tyre land or First Stop Tyres type outfit - wouldn’t trust vw either for that matter which leaves few options, eye roll.

I did notice the traction control kick in my my id4 a couple of times last month. Was weird feeling almost like lane assist kicking in. Was only doing about 60km. I just feel like I haven't hit anything at all which would have knocked the tracking out. Maybe the 21 inch wheels are more prone to drifting on the tracking? Its annoying as I'd have easily got to spring time with the thread depth left. I'll struggle now to avoid having to change tyres again as Im not due to change for 22 months.. might go early though. Will see what's on offer with PCP etc.. and updates to car

As far as I know the wheel not sitting dead centre is an alignment issue, so the tyre place should be able to fix it

It can be pretty tricky to figure out if it's the road or the wheels, although I believe they're supposed to take camber into account.

A car park or other large flat area should be good to test it out

How do you find the all weather's? I'm on summer tyres and ended up Tokyo drifting around a couple of bends in the frosty weather. Wasn't even going fast, maybe 30-40km/h

My traction control seems to kick in at bizarre times as well. Seems to be at certain junctions, maybe the road surface isn't great

Would it be worthwhile getting the wheels aligned every year? For the €70 expense it could put off another set of tyres until the PCP is up

Yeah I'll be paying close attention and might get them done next may/June

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Temperature not low enough yet but a vast improvement on the worn out continentals that came on the car.

Heavy rain showers of late, car is very well planted. We tend to do more night time 300km trips in winter, so opted for something better suited to our 2deg evenings with rain. None of our roads here are gritted either. Ice is a tough one, if it’s glassy your pure winter won’t make much difference. Car loaded with the family on **** winter nights I figured the all seasons were worth a try. The id3 is far more planted than the i3 which is unforgiving with summers on low temperature damp roads.

19’” Conti All Season Contact worked out at €760 fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭n.d.os

It just doesn't work. It's that simple and VW should be on top of it. It just isn't good enough. Last night I set a timed charge from 1am to 6am and the charge cut out just after 3am.

It's an absolute pain because on our new tariff we have a smaller window to charge and rely on the car timers to do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have you selected Preferred charging times in the car?

• Advertisement

The timers work for me. They didn't on the older s/w but fine since it was updated to v3+.

Probably a setting somewhere that's throwing yours out.

what’s people’s experience of alignment and the dreaded steering wheel not being dead centre?

Thats done by the tracking/alignment process. They have to centre the steering wheel and lock it in place when they are doing the alignment. If they let it slip out and then they tighten up the bolts with it out of alignment, then that is what you end up driving out with. The tyres will be aligned but your steering wheel wont.

The time to complain is when you sit into the car immediately after you get the alignment done. Or say it to them beforehand that you expect to get it back dead centre.

Would it be worthwhile getting the wheels aligned every year? For the €70 expense it could put off another set of tyres until the PCP is up

Not really. Its a depends type thing. You should eyeball your tyres every 5-10k km's and if you see uneven wear get it done then... before the tyres are beyond being unusable. I wouldn't just wait until you have a wrecked tyre.

When you are getting the tyres replaced, if they have worn evenly then there is no point in getting alignment done as it has done its job.

If you hit a bad pothole, that would be another reason to get it checked.

Basically you only get it done if there is a problem and you know that by eyeballing the tyres regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'll check what software the car is running tonight but there's no updates available in the cars settings so its just buggy.

This just doesn't happen with other EVs. It's not good enough. Out of all the threads on boards the ID cars appear to be the ones with the most software issues. I don't see why they can't just have a simple slider, start and finish. It's over complicated and prone to errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Totally agree. It’s like buying a really buggy android

I don't see why they can't just have a simple slider, start and finish. It's over complicated and prone to errors.

+1

Out of all the threads on boards the ID cars appear to be the ones with the most software issues.

They openly admitted they released the ID cars before the software was ready. ID owners are basically alpha testers. It took them 2yrs+ to stabilise it but you do need to get to v3.2 asap (if you are not on it already).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

TBH I see owners of most marques complaining about random software glitches, not just VW. And most brands seem to have gone out of their way to make charge settings unnecessarily complex - even Tesla doesn't allow you to simply set start and finish times FFS.

just back from getting the tyres fitted.. at least feel like the car is safe again.. asked about the software update to 3.2 and they booked me in for this day 2 weeks.. not getting a loan car as i dont really need.. if i wanted a loan car was another 2 weeks.. no idea how to read the alignment report.. ill post a picture of it

Did you go with discount tyres in the end or with a VW garage?

• Advertisement

VW garage... ended up approx 400 euro less with VW overall (2 free from VW service pack).. 4 pirelli scorpions.. can't believe 4 tryes would cost guts of 1500 euro.. ill be changing the car over chaging tyres next time out

Advertisement