Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

Do you have to signed up as an EI customer as part of that deal? What you save on installation you may end up paying in electricity bills

I didn't use EI personally, got the Wallbox Pulsar Plus via 3rd party installer based on neatness of work in the surrounding areas. Keeping my dirt-cheap Energia night rate tyvm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

omgapuppy wrote: »
    I didn't use EI personally, got the Wallbox Pulsar Plus via 3rd party installer based on neatness of work in the surrounding areas. Keeping my dirt-cheap Energia night rate tyvm :D

Ah I misread your post there, Energia FTW :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ConorF wrote: »
    It seems to me that there's a lot of bull**** around chargers and that a lot of the whizz-bang features are superfluous (especially given the smart connections to the car itself) and it is basically just a powerful socket.

It depends on your needs.
    If you need load management or Solar PV integration etc then its not superfluous.

If you dont need/care for those things then you are right.
    ConorF wrote: »
    However, the one feature that is drawing me to the mid-range ID. Charger Connect is the EEBUS communication for energy management. While I am far from expert in that, I understand that it will allow for load management in the event that we get a heat pump,...

Thats an oft forgotten and under-rated feature of the more expensive charge points. Adding that to a cheap and cheerful charge point significantly adds to the cost of those, so the headline figure for buying them might be low but when you get your electrician to install it and he says you need to pay extra for a priority switch because you have an electric shower the costs go up quickly.

I havent seen much first hand info on the ID Charge point yet but it does look like it is a decent unit with the right feature set but it does appear to be still a work in progress in terms of software (like the cars) so it might not be all singing all dancing just yet, but VW will get there, and the unit can be updated so it will get better with time (unlike most cheap units also).

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any idea when dealers might have these in show rooms, or does that even make a difference giving lockdown (dealers seem to be closed other than collections)?
    Are test drives (brief or 24hour) a thing at the moment?

Maybe our resident VW inside man L-M can fill us in?

Any idea when dealers might have these in show rooms, or does that even make a difference giving lockdown (dealers seem to be closed other than collections)?

I live near Airside which has about 8 or 9 car dealerships, I've definitely seen people doing test drives around the place. I've also seen sales staff in the buildings, so there's definitely car sales ongoing

I think the official line is no test drives but if you ring ahead they may leave a car out that you can take for a spin

Failing that, I'm sure one of our soon to be ID.4 owners can give you a spin :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They should be around in the next 2 weeks,

Problem is that if you didn’t have a 1st ordered Vw aren’t producing them anymore so it’s onto the series production. If anyone is considering a 1st which are much better value I’d seriously push the button now, if you can get one. Don’t wait for them to arrive because you won’t get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

L-M wrote: »

Problem is that if you didn’t have a 1st ordered Vw aren’t producing them anymore so it’s onto the series production. If anyone is considering a 1st which are much better value I’d seriously push the button now, if you can get one. Don’t wait for them to arrive because you won’t get one.

I'd imagine a good few people have put deposits down and they'll decide not to go ahead with the purchase for one reason or another so maybe a few floating around?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Whats people thoughts on residuals on the ID.4? Its impossible to have a crystal ball but do you expect them to be worth more than the equivalent ICE Tiguan in 3 years time? As we know, depreciation is the largest cost associated with a new car.

KCross wrote: »
    It depends on your needs.
    If you need load management or Solar PV integration etc then its not superfluous.

If you dont need/care for those things then you are right.

Thats an oft forgotten and under-rated feature of the more expensive charge points. Adding that to a cheap and cheerful charge point significantly adds to the cost of those, so the headline figure for buying them might be low but when you get your electrician to install it and he says you need to pay extra for a priority switch because you have an electric shower the costs go up quickly.

I havent seen much first hand info on the ID Charge point yet but it does look like it is a decent unit with the right feature set but it does appear to be still a work in progress in terms of software (like the cars) so it might not be all singing all dancing just yet, but VW will get there, and the unit can be updated so it will get better with time (unlike most cheap units also).

I see here on the VW charger specification: https://charging-energy.elli.eco/ie-en/IDcharger#specification that load balancing is 'Via external device'. I assume this means that load balancing is not included which is disappointing as just bought one last week before the offer expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

declan123 wrote: »
    Whats people thoughts on residuals on the ID.4? Its impossible to have a crystal ball but do you expect them to be worth more than the equivalent ICE Tiguan in 3 years time? As we know, depreciation is the largest cost associated with a new car.

It's a gamble, looking at EV depreciation across the board, but considering the 2030 ban on new passenger ICE and likely further moves to make ICE ownership not worthwhile, I can't see the equivalent Tiguan being worth much. Not that this has any bearings on the potential values of used EVs.

• Advertisement

That's a pity. 1st is definitely the best value, but there's not a hope I'll get sign off on putting a deposit down on one without seeing it. And from what you're saying by the time I see it, it won't be available to order

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Just got a call there and our id4 is on the car carrier . Should arrive Friday and hopefully be released by revenue next week. With being a new model and the EV grants process I won't be surprised if it's the week of the 15th before we collect. Software version 2.1 is already installed as well so all looks good for cake!

Just spoke with our dealer who confirmed ship due to land in next few days. He said late March is still target for delivery - said Revenue type approval for cars would take a while and apparently VW policy is the cars will be released to customers in week 12 & we are currently in week 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

I see here on the VW charger specification: https://charging-energy.elli.eco/ie-en/IDcharger#specification that load balancing is 'Via external device'. I assume this means that load balancing is not included which is disappointing as just bought one last week before the offer expired.

You would need to add a CT (Current Transformer) for load balancing. They might be about €35 ....It's good that it's optional because someone who does not need that feature isn't paying for hardware they don't need.

I think the VW charger is good value at approx €500, and allows the optional extra load balancing. The optional VW installation of charger of approx 800 on top of the charger itself, is daylight robbery.

Buy the charger and get a competent electrician to install. The manuals online have details on supported current transformers and setting for various scenarios

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

bf wrote: »
    Just spoke with our dealer who confirmed ship due to land in next few days. He said late March is still target for delivery - said Revenue type approval for cars would take a while and apparently VW policy is the cars will be released to customers in week 12 & we are currently in week 9.

That's good to hear, to be honest a week either way is fine, I had seen the 22nd march mentioned on Facebook for a few other countries so that makes sense that it would be the same here. It feels reassuring that is on the way here now at least!

WattsUp wrote: »
    You would need to add a CT (Current Transformer) for load balancing. They might be about €35 ....It's good that it's optional because someone who does not need that feature isn't paying for hardware they don't need.

I think the VW charger is good value at approx €500, and allows the optional extra load balancing. The optional VW installation of charger of approx 800 on top of the charger itself, is daylight robbery.

Buy the charger and get a competent electrician to install. The manuals online have details on supported current transformers and setting for various scenarios

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'm all at sea with these chargers. BTW, thats exactly what I did, I bought the charger on its own without the installation which I'll get a certificated electrician to install. By the way, it appears VW have partnered with Bord Gais energy to carry out the installs for which I'd imagine Bord Gais will subcontract anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The Zappi charger has a great LCD screen that shows you exactly what's going on, how much energy has been used, length of charge, as well as a host of other features you might not have now but might get later so there's an element of future proofing with it, but you are paying for it.

https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

Most chargers don't have a screen so you either rely on the car telling you the details or an app on your phone - I prefer the LCD screen myself.
    The downside is if you want the connectivity on the Zappi app you need to get a hub device to do that.

Does the VW branded charger come with a separate app to that of the car, or is there an app?

cannco253 wrote: »
    The Zappi charger has a great LCD screen that shows you exactly what's going on, how much energy has been used, length of charge, as well as a host of other features you might not have now but might get later so there's an element of future proofing with it, but you are paying for it.

https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

Most chargers don't have a screen so you either rely on the car telling you the details or an app on your phone - I prefer the LCD screen myself.
    The downside is if you want the connectivity on the Zappi app you need to get a hub device to do that.

Does the VW branded charger come with a separate app to that of the car, or is there an app?

The mid and upper range comes with app support via the house wi-fi, to be honest not sure if its separate to the car app or not

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Just got a call there and our id4 is on the car carrier . Should arrive Friday and hopefully be released by revenue next week. With being a new model and the EV grants process I won't be surprised if it's the week of the 15th before we collect. Software version 2.1 is already installed as well so all looks good for cake!

Hi I was told the same about delivery but also that it was unlikely to be available before the 15th. Never mind the cake I presume the 5k limit doesn’t apply if you’re driving an ev. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Id put aside the fact that ICE residuals will suffer in future by looking at 3yo Tiguan prices today. And I’d bet any money that the ID4 will beat that proportionally. Demand for EV’s will continue to climb and probably outstrip second-hand supply, this generation of EV’s won’t suffer from how-many-bars-left syndrome like the early gen Leaf’s etc.

The only risk really is that it turns out to be a lemon of a car!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Can you explain why you think they're better value? I'm considering buying an electric car and am looking at the ID4. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Can you explain why you think they're better value? I'm considering buying an electric car and am looking at the ID4. Thanks.

If you go back a few pages someone posted the brochure for the series models and for an equivalent spec to the 1st edition it's a bit more expensive. I'd recommend ringing a few different dealers as well. I was offered 12k for my own car and nothing off the id4 by a couple of Dublin dealerships. Ringing around I got a dealer who would do a straight deal for 41k and another dealer who valued the trade in at 16k and paying list price for the id4.

jp101 wrote: »
    Hi I was told the same about delivery but also that it was unlikely to be available before the 15th. Never mind the cake I presume the 5k limit doesn’t apply if you’re driving an ev. Right?

Ya, I think week of the 15th is the earliest but if VW hold them back then it'll be the week of 22nd. Our dealership is nearly 300km away so at least I'll get a long first drive, after that I'd say it could be may before we get a chance to test the range more regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

On a like-for like basis, a "standard" ID.4 appears to be about €2K more expensive than a 1st edition, at least based on the most recent product guide. A few hundred of that is due to the 2% increase in VAT from March onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

conor_mc wrote: »
    Id put aside the fact that ICE residuals will suffer in future by looking at 3yo Tiguan prices today. And I’d bet any money that the ID4 will beat that proportionally. Demand for EV’s will continue to climb and probably outstrip second-hand supply, this generation of EV’s won’t suffer from how-many-bars-left syndrome like the early gen Leaf’s etc.

The only risk really is that it turns out to be a lemon of a car!!!

One interesting thing I saw on Twitter recently is that Shane O'Donoghue of Completecar.ie has gone for an ID.4 with his own money - trading in a Tiguan for it.

On a like-for like basis, a "standard" ID.4 appears to be about €2K more expensive than a 1st edition, at least based on the most recent product guide. A few hundred of that is due to the 2% increase in VAT from March onwards.

Plus there is a charge for metallic paint on the series model where it comes from 'free' on the 1st models.

From what I understand the standard "life" spec doesn't seem to include a reversing camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Does the ID.4 come with the normal type 2 cable and the Granny cable as standard?

Only one dealer I spoke to mentioned it comes with both and that the Granny cable is not additional, but wanted to check to see what other people have been told?

cannco253 wrote: »
    Does the ID.4 come with the normal type 2 cable and the Granny cable as standard?

Only one dealer I spoke to mentioned it comes with both and that the Granny cable is not additional, but wanted to check to see what other people have been told?

From the product guide it includes both:

»Three pin home socket charging cable, 10A

»Charging cable Mode 3 Type 2, 32 A

Comes with a 32A cable this time, so you can get 7kW from a single phase charger, the ID.3 came with a 16A cable only allowing 3.6kW on simgle phase

From the product guide it includes both:

»Three pin home socket charging cable, 10A

»Charging cable Mode 3 Type 2, 32 A

Comes with a 32A cable this time, so you can get 7kW from a single phase charger, the ID.3 came with a 16A cable only allowing 3.6kW on simgle phase

And 11kW from the 22kW ESB chargers.

• Advertisement

And 11kW from the 22kW ESB chargers.

To be fair that's the car limiting to 11kW. It'd be nice if VW installed 22kW chargers, or even made it a paid option, I'd happily have gone for it

Advertisement