Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

To be fair that's the car limiting to 11kW. It'd be nice if VW installed 22kW chargers, or even made it a paid option, I'd happily have gone for it

VAG have been promising that on the eTron since launch, and AFAIK it's still not available :-( - so two model years+ later, still no sign of it materializing.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Does anyone know if the driver seat will have lumbar support?
    I don't see it mentioned on the product guide? I rang a local dealer and they couldn't tell me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Are VW dealers allowing ID owners to use their on site chargers ? I know Nissan did this, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss from what I've heard with VW.

I'm sure if you were in the area and needed a charge they wouldn't mind if you called them in advance, but it would be a great selling point for them if it was communicated better.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

cannco253 wrote: »
    Are VW dealers allowing ID owners to use their on site chargers ? I know Nissan did this, but it seems to be a bit hit and miss from what I've heard with VW.

I'm sure if you were in the area and needed a charge they wouldn't mind if you called them in advance, but it would be a great selling point for them if it was communicated better.

Here you go - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058154026

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

murt101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the driver seat will have lumbar support?
    I don't see it mentioned on the product guide? I rang a local dealer and they couldn't tell me much.

I believe the Max does as part of the electric adjustable seats, not sure about the 1st or other models

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Thanks rockerspocket

Do VW dealers show up on the ID sat nav as available chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

I contacted my local VW dealer about the ID4, i said that i was interested in the style version (smaller battery) i dont do a lot of long distance driving so in my head I dont think i need to fork out an additional 4k. So he immediately tried to talk me out of it saying that this car would be worth so much less in a few years which annoyed me. Then I proceeded to talk about what trade in for my car would cost, and he was offering 3.5k less for my car than what i got quoted off Peugeot a couple of weeks ago (against a phev 3008 which i am not going for now) he was saying that there is just no margin in the ID4 to give me anymore.

Was he talking through his a** or is it a case that there is big demand for these cars and he can chance his arm with this sort of stuff. My PCP is up in July, i think ill hang on to my car, try and sell it and go for the ID4 in Jan as a cash sale perhaps

JP85 wrote: »
    I contacted my local VW dealer about the ID4, i said that i was interested in the style version (smaller battery) i dont do a lot of long distance driving so in my head I dont think i need to fork out an additional 4k. So he immediately tried to talk me out of it saying that this car would be worth so much less in a few years which annoyed me. Then I proceeded to talk about what trade in for my car would cost, and he was offering 3.5k less for my car than what i got quoted off Peugeot a couple of weeks ago (against a phev 3008 which i am not going for now) he was saying that there is just no margin in the ID4 to give me anymore.

Was he talking through his a** or is it a case that there is big demand for these cars and he can chance his arm with this sort of stuff. My PCP is up in July, i think ill hang on to my car, try and sell it and go for the ID4 in Jan as a cash sale perhaps

So to answer your first question of which end the salesman was talking through, it's most certainly his a*se based on what he said

The demand for the ID.4 is likely to be pretty high, it's a CUV which is the most popular vehicle segment at the moment and it's electric which is rapidly gaining popularity

Unfortunately this means the dealers aren't incentivised to give good deals, especially considering they don't make as much of a return from EVs as ICE vehicles

Regarding depreciation, well your guess is as good as mine. There's no doubt the car will lose a lot of value in several years, the same is true for every new car.

Will it lose more than the equivalent ICE? Maybe not if the push to EVs continues, it could push up demand for 2nd hand EVs

Will it lose a lot compared to the bigger battery version, maybe it will as a percentage of the original price, but they're starting from a higher point

My recommendation is this, first ring around several dealers expressing an interest in an ID.4. Don't mention anything about finacne or trade in until you've heard their offer of a price and don;t be afraid to mention that you got better offers from other dealers

Once you've got the price, then start talking about trade ins and see who'll give you the best value. Finally once that's done, start talking about finance deals.

I'll be up front and admit I didn't do any of that when I was buying my ID.4, but in retrospect I really should have at least rung around several dealerships instead of going with the most convenient.

Ringing around is also a great way to gauge the amount of support you'll get after purchase. If the dealer has no interest in EVs then it's possible their service department won't be as well equipped to deal with any issues that come up

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

JP85 wrote: »

He's taking ****e, there's not a huge margin but I'd say 5% is manageable, I haven't heard of anyone getting more in a straight deal but it might be. Two Dublin dealers offered me 4k less on a trade in than a different VW dealer so it's worth shopping around on that front too. Also seems to depend on who you get on the phone, how their day is going and what the weather is like!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there going to be a series edition like with the ID3?

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is there going to be a series edition like with the ID3?

Yup,, details were posted here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showpost.php?p=116434081&postcount=834

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If I could add a sunroof to the 52kw style spec I’d be happy to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Gael23 wrote: »
    If I could add a sunroof to the 52kw style spec I’d be happy to go with it

If you own or have access to an angle grinder then that shouldn't be an issue.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    If you own or have access to an angle grinder then that shouldn't be an issue.

Could make it a soft top while you're at it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone know if the ID 4 has an alarm? Dont see it mentioned specifically in the brochure but on the UK site/brochure it says it does (UK and Irish spec seem identical expect for this). I asked my dealer, he had to check and he said it doesnt have it but I'd be surprised if the UK and Irish are the same but only had this difference? Has anyone else asked about this?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pulled trigger on the 1st over the weekend. Waiting to see colors and availability. Hard to gauge when Ill get it.

dave oc wrote: »
    Anyone know if the ID 4 has an alarm? Dont see it mentioned specifically in the brochure but on the UK site/brochure it says it does (UK and Irish spec seem identical expect for this). I asked my dealer, he had to check and he said it doesnt have it but I'd be surprised if the UK and Irish are the same but only had this difference? Has anyone else asked about this?

I'll admit I never asked but I'd imagine it does. The manual mentions one, but it's possible different cars have different equipment

Might be worth asking on the ID.3 thread to see what the owners over there know

I'll admit I never asked but I'd imagine it does. The manual mentions one, but it's possible different cars have different equipment

Might be worth asking on the ID.3 thread to see what the owners over there know

same question came up on the ID.3 firsts a while back - still don't know the answer & i own one! must check it out some time but its never went off if i do have one..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The ID.3 has an alarm. One of the issues with the old software was that the alarm was going off during the night, without cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Spoke to my dealer and he confirmed my car is in the country.

He was not at all certain when anyone would actually get one, due to slowdowns in the port, revenue issues, SEAI Issues etc etc. sounded like end of month most likely.

Just another datapoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

The ID.3 has an alarm. One of the issues with the old software was that the alarm was going off during the night, without cause.
    ID3 1st def doesn’t have an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

TBTG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Some of the UK and German 1st owners were complaining about the alarm problem. There isn't an Irish spec for the car. I dunno. :pac:

Surely you can just lock the car with a window open then stick your arm in and wave it around? If that alarm goes off then you know

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

To be fair that's the car limiting to 11kW. It'd be nice if VW installed 22kW chargers, or even made it a paid option, I'd happily have gone for it

quick question on charging and chargers. I'm going to get the zappi for the charging point at my work and was wondering about whether to get the 3-phase 22kw version or the single-phase 7kw version. Head says get the biggest i can now, but am I just wasting my time if the car can't charge at more than 11kw?

quick question on charging and chargers. I'm going to get the zappi for the charging point at my work and was wondering about whether to get the 3-phase 22kw version or the single-phase 7kw version. Head says get the biggest i can now, but am I just wasting my time if the car can't charge at more than 11kw?

Does you house have 3 phase connection (its not common) - also, why when you likely be charging at high voltage when you're likely doing this overnight - 7KW is perfect IMO..

I'd go 22kW if it's work. It means you'll be able to get a full charge over the course of the work day or even plug in for a few hours and get a decent amount of charge. You could go VW charger which is a bit cheaper and will do 11kw even in the base model?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Whether you get single or 3-phase is down to what supply you have at work. Does your work have 3-phase?

If yes, then you might as well get the 3 phase unit as the price difference is minimal and will future proof the unit.

However, in reality, it wont matter much to you most days as you will just charge the car over several hours and get to 80-100% without any need for 3-phase.

If you do get an 11kW or 22kW capable car in the future you will be thankful of it then though!

Finally, if there are going to be more than one employees looking to use the charge point its, again, better to get the higher powered charge point as you have a better chance of getting people on/off it multiple times in the day.

TL;DR - Get the 3-phase unit if you have 3-phase available.

To echo what others have been saying, if your office has 3 phase, get a 3 phase charger, it's not that much more expensive in terms of capital costs and will future proof you against any future cars that can charge at 22kW

• Advertisement

Looks like Wexford VW have the accessories price list for the ID.4

https://www.wexfordvolkswagen.ie/en/id-4-accessories

€1795 for the tow hitch, ouch!

I might be tempted by the mud flaps and the dash cam

Advertisement