Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm finding that it only likes middle distance journeys at the moment. Short spins of less than 10km use a lot of battery, and long high speed drives also drain battery quickly too.

Only mid speed middle distance journeys show any kind of efficiency - my guess is because the drain on the battery is just high enough for it to heat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

So,,,, the id4 doesn’t like skippy icy roads. Did a small journey there and went a bit further to see how it held on ice and slushy snow,……. Not the best. The back likes to swing out (thanks to rwd) suppose the weight doesn’t help either.

wonder how they get on in the colder countries

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I dont have an ID4, but considering a used one. One thing that concerns me, was in a Taxi id4, the taxi man maintains, when he switches on heat , he loses about 80km of range, is this possible ? He does not have a heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭micks_address

it totally depends on the outside temp - not unique to id4s.. same with engine cars or other evs.. if its cold and you want heat something makes the heat.. takes energy and will reduce range.. same for cooling.. if its really hot and you want air con it takes range.. 80 would be the upper range of range loss.. on average wouldnt be that..

• Advertisement

you wouldn’t list that much.

the trick is to precondition the car before you leave.

so we leave for the a school run at 8:05, we’ve told the car to be at 22 degrees then. It uses the mains to achieve this so no loss of range. The past few days as the neighbours have been defrosting their car. Mine is sitting, frost free ready to go. Once it’s at 22 it’s not to energy hungry it maintaining it.

heat pumps are not great for low temperatures and take a while to warm

up

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Related question, does the car need to be connected to the mains charger in order for the pre-heating / pre-cooling feature to work?

I'm just thinking of the use case where you didn't plug it in the night before as it didn't need charging or if you have it timed to only charge on cheap rates (in my case, 2AM-6AM).

the pre heating feature is awesome and ive used it all this week - same experience but it does take a couple of percent of battery to pre heat.. of course you can be plugged in and let the car top up if you want and arent worried about peak rate electricity usage.. its not a lot and the comfort level is so worth it..

no you can preheat plugged in and not be using power from the charger.. i do exactly what you describe.. charge from 2 to 5 and set departure time in the app for 6.30 and the car is warm when i sit into it.. it works whether you are plugged in or not.. if you dont have a schedule set and say your car is 100% full the pre heat might drop it 2 percent and the car will pull power from the charger..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

does the car need to be connected to the mains charger in order for the pre-heating / pre-cooling feature to work?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Excellent, thats great! Very handy for these cold mornings!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It won't work below 20%.unplugged. Not sure about when plugged in below 20%.

Worth noting it only takes 5-10 minutes to clear ice. When you manually set heating/cooling it goes for 30 minutes but you don't actually need it that long so I'd say set heat for 15-20 minutes before departure and see how you get on. My Born was nearly defrosted when I was sitting in it for 5 minutes checking something with charging the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Came out to a fully defrosted car this morning on a road full of frozen over cars. Done on the phone app in seconds and car windows fully defrosted and cabin lovely and warm in about 5 mins. I kick myself when I forget to do it and it's cold out!

My car isn't plugged in at home and I can do it for loss of about 1% battery.

Plugged in at work and it doesn't lose any battery preheating. Actually helps because don't need much heat on when driving after I leave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

7k and Bridgestone

you can schedule a departure time in the app and repeat it automatically if you use it regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

yeah if I had a schedule in my own life I would!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

Totally agree with that taxi driver. It’s a know FACT that EV’s lose around 20% of their range in winter.

Multiple factors effect range but the cold is one of the main culprits.

Pre-heating the car helps as this figure is likely to be more if you don’t.

Im into my second year of driving the ID.4 now and have around 70k up on her and find I lose around 100kms in the winter.(Summer 450kms-Winter 350kms)

Looking at the news in the US at the moment most EV drivers are reporting a 30% plus drop in range, some saying half!

EV are definitely not suited to sub zero temperature.

My bottle washer motor stopped working yesterday, went dead. Checked the water reservoir to make sure it was not frozen annd it wasn’t, then plugged my OBE Eleven into the car to check for faults.

The positive terminal on the windshield washer pump was frozen. Cleared the fault, rebooted the car and it started working again.

If I didn’t have the OBE Eleven it would have been a pain in the ass having to bring it back to the dealer for repair as the wait time to get an EV repaired in Irleand is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭jlang

Taxis do big mileage but can also spend a lot of time turned on and not moving (waiting for pickup, idling at taxi rank, stuck in traffic, etc.). That would be time spent keeping the car comfortable and costly on a kWh/100km basis - an apparent reduction in range in cold weather.

My car does not spend a lot of time turned on/ stationary and I definitely take a hit of around 100kms in freezing temperatures. I very conscious of battery consumption and I turn off the heater regularly and don’t use AC that often. I think around 20kwh/100km would be a fair winter efficiency to put on the ID.4 (compared to my avg summer efficiency of 15kwh/100km) which isn’t bad considering what all the other EV owners tell me at public network charging points during the winter.

My advice to anyone thinking about buying an EV is go for one with at least a 77kw battery which the ID.4 has or more if you can and expect to take a winter range hit no matter what the dealers/ sales persons try to tell you.

350kms in my mind isn’t bad in freezing temperature and I have 450kms to look forward come summer.

Sacrificing comfort for range in a car does not make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

. Just travelled across the country today. Mixture of motorway, national, and rural roads. Averaged 16.3kw per 100km. Aircon was used intermittently and I was conscious of the way I accelerated. Very impressed with the id4 considering the temperature never went above 3 degrees.

• Advertisement

Don't mean to be smart pal but you must be one in a million

I’m not here to debate efficiency but I’m also not here to sell cars either.

Three of my colleagues own ID.4’s, another one owns a Leaf and another two drive Teslas and they’re all averaging 21kws per 100kws in freezing temperature and if it’s windy that gets worse.

16.3kws is summer efficiency for the ID.4 unless your trip across the country was with a tail wind behind you.

There is a very accurate real world EV efficiency chart somewhere online doesn’t come to mind at the moment and it confirms my efficiency figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

90km was the average speed so no made driving. Took my time to conserve battery.

Here we go:

My annual average (winter-summer) was 18.7kwh/100kw which converts to 435kms per 100% charge which is spot on with the EV database figures.

I also see VW themselves have revised their estimations:

I think Evs are the best things since jam donuts but their range does tend to be exaggerated.

Bought these recently for my ID.4:

Great mod and Super easy to install, only cost €30.

Good quality and 600N force.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d expect an ID4 to be more efficient than 21 kWh/100km in this weather tbh. My AWD performance EV is averaging that for December and January so far.

Model 3 RWD will average late teens even in this weather without a lot of hassle.

EV range is a bit like WiFi…….speeds/ range up to….. 😀

just came off the motorway after traveling 90kph for 30 mins.

Averaged 25kwh/100km

A bit windy today all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Just over 10k on my ID4 Pure Life, yes the piddley battery. Was averaging 21kwh/100km on mixed M/N/R/L road driving, kept to 110kmh on motorway but speed limit or traffic pace everywhere else, about 330km in total.

Had the use of a 7kw charger while at my destination for a couple of hours and fast charged at 40kw ish for the time it took to stop for some fast food at a motorway service area so no actual charging time lost.

I could have used an ICE car for this trip but chose not to, this kind of journey is an exception for me these days but it can be done, even in winter. It's primarily a commuting car ~75km round trip, 3 days a week these days but can work for the occasional longer trips if it needs to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Driving an ID4 recently. When around local roads it was about 16kwh but mixed driving including motorway was between 20 and 21. That was in around 7 degrees out. Lower temps I'd expect consumption to be a little higher.

Advertisement