Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

All roads lead to the buzz :D

I would honestly not be surprised if VW stopped producing any other vehicles than the Buzz because it's the only one people want

I'm certainly looking forward to the Buzz. I don't need a big car, but a small day van type vehicle would be so much more useful to me, especially when (not if) a removable camping module is available. There was one available for my Multivan years ago.

I can see some fantastic adaptations of the Buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

quick question

I know the car powers down when you exit the car, but what happens if you have a passenger left in the car after the driver leaves?

Do you leave the keys with them, or will that keep the car powered on? I know the car is supposed to recognise that somebody is still inside, but what controls does the passenger have access to and for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Anyone got a delivery date? Our dealer is being a bit cagey so I'm guessing it could be end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Some car getting delivered this evening I believe. I'll sent photos later if I get them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

cannco253 wrote: »
    quick question

I know the car powers down when you exit the car, but what happens if you have a passenger left in the car after the driver leaves?

Do you leave the keys with them, or will that keep the car powered on? I know the car is supposed to recognise that somebody is still inside, but what controls does the passenger have access to and for how long?

When the car is put in park I believe there's an option comes up on the infotainment called "air condition now" which will keep the fans/heating running. I think it keeps the screen on as well for around 30 mins

If you leave the key with them then they can probably press the power button on the steering column to keep the car alive

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Spoke to dealer this morning, v cagey as well. They mentioned general delays across everything. They won't commit to a date for sure. My car is at checkpoint 8 in the factory for over a week now with no view of when it will be moved to port or be shipped.

Pricey indeed, definitely not smart from a financial standpoint, but I don't buying a car ever is.

I went for PCP as I couldn't afford the payments on HP and didn't want to be in debt for more than 3 years. My plan is to get an ID. Buzz at the end of the PCP and either sell the ID.4 privately for trade it in

My mileage is pretty low, around 12,000km before covid and less than half of that since. The limit is 60,000km over 3 years, so unless something changes I should be safe.

Sounds like you'd be doing about 25,000km per year which would put you 15,000km over. The excess is 10c per km, so that'd be a €1500 hit to the equity in the car

I'd be driving around 25-30K Kms a year now I'm not working shift any more I'll be commuting more, I used to work 7 days/ 7 nights so now I work 5 days every week long spin from Carlow to Blanch or Grangecastle whichever site I've to visit or both so could actually be up to 35K Kms a year.

So no, PCP no longer makes sense for me or new cars really but it's good it works out well for you you'll be saving a fortune on PCP over 12K Kms a year compared to buying HP especially when you intend to get rid of it in 3 years it makes no sense really to pay much more PM. The mileage is a killer for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Deposit down on a 1st in Manganese Grey! Anyone want to buy a Leaf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

Deposit down on a 1st in Manganese Grey! Anyone want to buy a Leaf?!

Congrats! Did you get an estimated delivery date?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm been told end of March at best.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »

What year?

Summer8181 wrote: »
    What year?

I am also surprised at that time-line, I was expecting a minimum 6 month lead time at the moment.

Wow!! Thats good, I was looking at one for July but was worried about demand being so high... what version did you get and what price?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

kop-end wrote: »
    I am also surprised at that time-line, I was expecting a minimum 6 month lead time at the moment.

For a 1st?

For a 1st?

I thought all the 1st models were sold out...

There are a few of the 250 1st editions arriving still available if you ring around the dealers, might change when they start appearing on the roads.

I was told to expect mine next week...

kop-end wrote: »
    Congrats! Did you get an estimated delivery date?

Was told a month and a half or so so I guess end April (and the car is built apparently). Could have got a blue sooner though I think.

There are a few of the 250 1st editions arriving still available if you ring around the dealers, might change when they start appearing on the roads.

I was told to expect mine next week...

I was onto 5 or 6 dealers. All could get an ID.4 except one. Colours seem to be generally limited to blue and white though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Was told a month and a half or so so I guess end April (and the car is built apparently). Could have got a blue sooner though I think.

be a nice machine to cart around the flacons in Pat :D

well wear when you get it, should be nice in the grey.

Only one I can get first is grey. I want a Blue

• Advertisement

https://insideevs.com/news/493812/how-to-charge-the-volkswagen-id4/

Some interesting points in this even though it's US based.

10:43 first time I've seen the VW granny cable, I presume the European version is the same. Can you use any granny cable on any car or are they manufacturer specific?
    24:35 DC charging curve, as expected
    27:40 close up of plastic cap and tab to hold the cap when charging
    28:00 charging at a Tesla station (not supercharger) with an adaptor. I presume Tesla stations don't show up on the VW app?
    37:58 ID light, didn't know it showed the state of charge of the car
    38:35 Plug and Charge coming later in the year via OTA. Does this exist in Ireland at the moment apart from Tesla?
    41:30 Reduced AC charging current, I wonder if many ID.3 owners have used this at all?

Fast charge test link below for a more detailed view
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm8xMZQr0w

Only one I can get first is grey. I want a Blue

Nearly every dealer I talked to (Munster) seemed to have blue.

Oh crap,I just saw the above video, didn't realise it had so much hideous black plastic all over it, it's kinds worse than the Kona ffs VW ?

Oh crap,I just saw the above video, didn't realise it had so much hideous black plastic all over it, it's kinds worse than the Kona ffs VW ?

That's why in my opinion, it looks best in white or grey.

https://insideevs.com/news/493812/how-to-charge-the-volkswagen-id4/

Some interesting points in this even though it's US based.

10:43 first time I've seen the VW granny cable, I presume the European version is the same. Can you use any granny cable on any car or are they manufacturer specific?
    24:35 DC charging curve, as expected
    27:40 close up of plastic cap and tab to hold the cap when charging
    28:00 charging at a Tesla station (not supercharger) with an adaptor. I presume Tesla stations don't show up on the VW app?
    37:58 ID light, didn't know it showed the state of charge of the car
    38:35 Plug and Charge coming later in the year via OTA. Does this exist in Ireland at the moment apart from Tesla?
    41:30 Reduced AC charging current, I wonder if many ID.3 owners have used this at all?

Fast charge test link below for a more detailed view
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irm8xMZQr0w

So here's the answers that I know

1. Granny lead, you can use any as long as it's a Type 2 plug. The VW one isn't anything special but it works
    2. Tesla AC chargers don't need an adapter in Europe, they're Type 2. However they have their own protocol which causes them to not work. It depends on the setting of the Tesla charger, some of them are setup to be Tesla only, others allow any EV. Not sure of they'll show up in the navigation
    3. Ionity is setup for plug and charge, however it's still to be seen how it works as regards billing. From what I've read, when you arrive you'll pick which charging account you want to use and just plug in. Dunno about ESB chargers, the hardware probably supports it, but the single Windows ME computer which runs the whole system probably doesn't support it
    4. Reduced charging current drops your AC current down to 6A or 8A, can't remember which. Probably only useful when using the granny lead in case you don't want to overload the circuit

Yeah I think they're doing a bit of visual trickery, trying to make the car look smaller and sleeker. No idea why they bothered

Tbh, I didn't even notice it on the blue one when I saw the car in person. At least when you're driving one badly surfaced Irish roads you'll only be scratching the plastic and not the paintwork

It's a big car for sure, same size as a Tiguan or Tucson but it seems bigger when you see it in person. More imposing or something

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sergijaws

just saw two blue ID.4s charging outside the Liffey Vally VW dealer. One was a 1st Max, the other was the 1st and it already had registration plates :eek:

Sergijaws wrote: »
    just saw two blue ID.4s charging outside the Liffey Vally VW dealer. One was a 1st Max, the other was the 1st and it already had registration plates :eek:

A Max!? In Blue!?

I'm calling dibs :D

First Max seen in Ireland I believe

Yeah I think they're doing a bit of visual trickery, trying to make the car look smaller and sleeker. No idea why they bothered

Tbh, I didn't even notice it on the blue one when I saw the car in person. At least when you're driving one badly surfaced Irish roads you'll only be scratching the plastic and not the paintwork

It's a big car for sure, same size as a Tiguan or Tucson but it seems bigger when you see it in person. More imposing or something

Can't wait to see one in person and get a spin in one. :)

• Advertisement

I've been told the software update for the ID.4 doesn't take as long as the ID.3.

The problem lots of garages are having is that they want to get the ID.4s out the door, but also want to keep the existing ID.3 owners onside with the update, but can't manage both at the same time...

I'd guess the ID.4 1sts will get out quickly, if nothing else it's good publicity for VW and more ID cars on the road.....

Advertisement