Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭id.4 fan

I had the same problem.

Get a heat gun and apply heat to the tail light bar evenly. Get it hot enough that you can just still touch it with your hand.

Now apply pressure to the center VW emblem and it will pop back into place. Hold it till the tail light bar cools back down a little and it should stay flush with the car body.

Mine did and I did this over a year ago and it hasn’t popped back out yet.

Post edited by id.4 fan on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Ours popped back out again, in fact every error or incident with the car has reoccurred and we have had enough

It’s frustrating alright owning a car that was not thought through 100% but I think all ev owners are experiencing some sort of problems with their cars not just VW.

Out of curiosity what recurring problems are you experiencing with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I'm having great difficulty getting the old sensors out, still haven't managed to do it🙄. But on another issue, do you know if the sensor linked here is for the two centre ones, or the outside ones? I've read that they are different. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Doors opening on their own accord. Was fixed and it’s still happening so lost total confidence in the car and VW’s ability to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭obi604

was charging the id4 last night at a public esb 100kw charger.
    got up to speeds of 92kw so happy with that.

During charging, there were some relatively loud kinda fan noises coming from the bonnet area, kinda like the sound the AC would make when on full blast (AC was turned off) . Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭positron

Just noticed VW is offering 0% finance, is this new? Didn't see it mentioned anywhere (but may be I wasn't reading the right threads).

Tesla also continues to offer 0% on Model Y PCP & HP. But nothing on Model 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

They started the 0% offer about 3-4 weeks ago. It's HP only. PCP is 2.9%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, that's normal. With all EVs. Cooling or heating the battery as it's charging.

That store in the link I posted sells both. Your best option is to take a photo of the sensor currently in your car (when you get it out) and send it to the seller.

Your more than likely having difficulty getting it out because you are not pushing the Y type clips behind the grill in the right direction.

Post edited by id.4 fan on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Nothing really! 55k into a two year old GTX its been rock solid. The infotainment system is bit crap alright but thats about it.

I did have two tyres deflate on me but that was my problem not looking at them careful enough. While they migh look ok on the outside its the inside shoulder wears faster. I still got 25k KM out of each corner..they can be expensive especally if you use the VW garage🤨 but I got two 20 inch tyres in Cashel for about €130 a corner which I was very happy with (unbranded though)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭obi604

I hadn't heard the noise before to be honest, does it only happen when fast charging, like greater than 50kw?

or can it happen on any type charger

Door issues are a common problem on the ID.4.

Hard to believe there is no recall on that yet.

I'm currently having door issues with mine, locking mechanism in my case isn’t up to the job. I expect the last two will fail out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Fast charging normally. That's what gets the battery hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Got my first door issue today, primary lock on the driver door wouldn't latch. Took several actuations with the door handle before it would lock.

Another thing that's been driving me nuts is this software bug which stops the mirrors from adjusting up. Only way to fix it is a reset of the car which takes of course takes 10mins. Always seems to happen at a time when I don't have the time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Badger242

Interesting solution that I might try.

I see other people online have successfully used polyurethane adhesive near the centre pin (behind the VW sign) along with greasing the outer bolts. Apparently when the tail light exapnds in the heat it expands sideways (due to greased bolts) rather than bulging out. I would need to remove the tail light to do this and not overly keen on thought of using an adhesive.

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next couple of weeks to see what happens. It hasn't bulged out as far as it had when I first noticed it. It is a bit frustrating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liam2021

I sent mine in this week for the heavy duty brackets on the rear light bar. While there I was advised that there was an update for the doors. You should contact your dealer and get the update.

I brought my ID.4 into the dealer today to get 4 new tyres fitted. Tyre tread on all 4 were not down to the min wear mark but they were close plus they owe me nothing, I’ve driven 40k on them.

When the fitter took off the rear 2 tyres I was surprised with what I saw. The inside wall (approx. 1 inch in width) on both tyres were down to the wire.

I asked the fitter to align all 4 wheels thinking it must be an alignment problem.

The results showed all 4 wheels were in perfect alignment according to VW’s specifications.

After doing a bit of digging I’ve come to the conclusion that VW’s wheel alignment specifications increase grip for better cornering, at the expense of the rear tyre inner tread? 

I find this very strange!!!

Has anyone else here noticed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

I had to replace tyres at 30k km was loads of thread but wore uneven.. tracking blamed as the issue

• Advertisement

Strange I was told my tracking/ alignment was spot on.

Ive read elsewhere that one guy who owned two ID.4s purchased in different years had the exact same problem.. Both cars had identical tracking/ alignment readings when checked and both had the exact same accelerated rear inner tyre wear.

Seems to be a common thing on all ID.4’s

I wonder is the weight of the car plus the fact that most are rear wheel drive also contributing to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Oof, that's not good - having said that 40k km is pretty good going, dodgy inner excluded.

I had something similar on my old Lexus GS300 - in fact I got a blowout. Tyre place suggested the default pressure was too low and to over inflate slightly. Can't remember ID4 default pressure but think it's 36psi? Tesla advise running at 42.

I’m running my rears at 36psi so might try pushing them up to 40 just to see if it makes any difference.

I suspect the center will wear faster at 40psi.

Theres actually 41780kms on all 4 tyres so I’m not complaining but they would have lasted even longer had it not been for the excessive wear on the inside wall.

A bit odd it seems to be common on ID.4’s

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

I had this wear explained to me as follows: when cornering to the left, the car weight shifts on to the two right side wheels. If you then accelerate, your left driven (rear) wheel suffers a degree of wheel spin due to less road contact causing scuffing (and wear) of the inside of the wheel. Opposite occurs cornering (while accelerating) to the right. No issue with alignment, only a heavy right foot and plenty of horsepower!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Known issue and is widespread with the Skoda Enyaq also. Some owners have got tyres replaced under warranty. Alignment cannot be correct with such severe inner shoulder wear. You’ll have the same issue with your new tyres if not solved.

VW say alignment is perfect, second opinion?

Its bad when your second judging main dealer!

It definitely looks like alignment is off to me too but it can’t be off on all ID.4’s can it. Surely VW know how to align their car wheels in factory?

My mate has a 2024 with 30k on her already and the rear inside walls are wearing the exact same as mine.

Must be a weight/ tyre wall strenght issue or poorly designed rear suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

When I was changing my last set of tyres the tyre guy I use said in his experience ID4s were prone to uneven tyre wear, that often looks like bad tracking. He said he thought that it was a combination of weight and under inflation is often the culprit. The ID4 has a higher recommended tyre pressure of I think 40psi than the usual 32, but he said they really need more like 42-43psi when under normal, light loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I've been watching Bjorn's testing of the new ID.4 Pro 4 Motion

Basically it's the Pro with the front motor giving AWD, but still limited to 210kW

So it's not as powerful as the GTX, but better acceleration and grip than the RWD

There doesn't seem to be any plans to bring it here, but it seems like a good idea if they do

Since the GTX will only give 250kW above 80% SoC, it seems like a lot of money for something you don't use a lot

The 4 Motion will likely be closer to the Pro in price and seems like a better deal overall

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

Any experiences with 'Electric drive not working correctly'? Popped up 2 days in a row

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Irrespective of which EV you drive, when messages like this start to pop up intermittently I would rule out the 12v battery being the problem first.

Advertisement