Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Is it true that no more ID4's will be delivered to Ireland for another two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Is it true that no more ID4's will be delivered to Ireland for another two weeks?

No it’s not there are lots in dealers all over. They may not be handed over until next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The MV Parana is due in Dublin again on the 20th. It has just arrived in Emden, so it will have VAG cars aboard. If there are ID.4s at Emden port, they may well be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cannco253 wrote: »
    I was asked if the car had an alarm and said yes, but has anyone had confirmation of that?
    Also asked if there was a tracker in the car and said the VW app allows you to track the car.

I presume the answers to both are the same for the ID.3

I think the answer is no to both actually... it was for the ID.3 anyway, so unless someone has new info to say that the ID.4 is different you might need to rethink that with your insurance as they might wriggle out of any theft claim if it doesnt have an alarm and gets robbed.

jp101 wrote: »
    No it’s not there are lots in dealers all over. They may not be handed over until next week.

I know there are many at the dealers but not mine. It is in batch two or so I'm told. Just wondering when they will arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I know there are many at the dealers but not mine. It is in batch two or so I'm told. Just wondering when they will arrive.

Did you get a 1st or a Max? I'm being told my Max won't arrive until the end of April :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

KCross wrote: »
    I think the answer is no to both actually... it was for the ID.3 anyway, so unless someone has new info to say that the ID.4 is different you might need to rethink that with your insurance as they might wriggle out of any theft claim if it doesnt have an alarm and gets robbed.

It does have an Electronic Engine Immobilizer, which is an interesting term since there's no engine :)

None of the brochures mention an anti theft alarm, but it's a bit hard to imagine a car in 2021 shipping without one.

The easiest way to check that I've seen is to lock the car via the remote and then use the physical key to unlock the door and open it. The alarm should go off in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Well.....

Back from test driving the ID.4 (not the Max) in Drogheda earlier this evening, colour blue. Was out in it for 20 minutes, so here are some quick thoughts.

Very comfortable drive, great driving position, pretty quick, for a 2tonne car it can certainly move, and not too shabby when pushing that accelerator down. I thought it was pretty responsive.

I drive a Passat, and while the wheel base of the ID.4 is slightly smaller than it, it feels a lot bigger than the Passat, and it is definitely bigger than the Passat on the interior front. Extremely roomy inside. I'm 6'1 and when I sat in the back, with the driver seat pushed back, I still had plenty of leg room, this is a big car !

I loved the interior. The combination of that fabric on the seats(more like a velour) and the tanned colour leather (not leather but very soft) sides of the seats really compliment each other. The interior door arm rests are a lovely combination of the tanned leather, and black piano gloss plastic, holding the controls for the electric windows etc.

He said the 1st edition is extremely well equipped, 20" alloys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Parking Sensors including rear camera, Heated front seats, heated steering wheel, Tinted rear windows, electric windows front and back, Touch sensitive interior front and rear lights, Customisable interior ambient lighting etc. Just listing those as they were all pointed out to me.

The non 1st Editions will come with 18" alloys, and will not have as high a spec.

There is no heat pump or tow bar on the 1st edition ID.4, they are on the ID.4 Max.

Overall, I'm very impressed with what I saw and drove today, and can't wait to pick mine up later this month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It does have an Electronic Engine Immobilizer, which is an interesting term since there's no engine :)

Thats not an alarm though and if you tell the insurance company that you have an alarm and it doesnt you are giving them wriggle room to invalidate or dimish your policy if you come to claim.
    None of the brochures mention an anti theft alarm, but it's a bit hard to imagine a car in 2021 shipping without one.

Thats exactly how the ID.3 has been shipped though, so it doesnt take much imagination at all to think the ID.4 is any different a few short months after the ID.3 was launched and it's built on the same platform! ;)

Now, maybe the ID.4 has an alarm but I wouldnt bet on it until its actually confirmed by a real owner in Ireland.

Thats not an alarm though and if you tell the insurance company that you have an alarm and it doesnt you are giving them wriggle room to invalidate or dimish your policy if you come to claim.

Thats exactly how the ID.3 has been shipped though, so it doesnt take much imagination at all to think the ID.4 is any different a few short months after the ID.3 was launched and it's built on the same platform! ;)

Now, maybe the ID.4 has an alarm but I wouldnt bet on it until its actually confirmed by a real owner in Ireland.

Yeah I see what you mean and I'll definitely be checking it out when I get mine

I still can't see the logic behind not having an alarm unless VW know something about the effectiveness of them as a deterrent

I could see an immobilizer and tracker being more useful and the ID cars have both of those. But as you say, an alarm is kind of a default assumption with the insurance company, so they might not be happy if the car gets broken into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Has anyone who ordered a standard 1st recently (last week or two) been given any timeframe for delivery? My dealer is being quite cagey and is reluctant to give even a guess but considering he thought it would be week 12 (next Monday onwards) for first delivery of them it’s promising that they’ve arrived early.

I ordered this day 2 weeks ago, should I have a vin number yet? My thinking would be that as VW are making a limited number of the 1st and they are not made to order, they should simply be making x amount of them and shipping them here? Is that a fair assumption?

I know people have had orders in for weeks/months before me, but all the video and photos coming out now are making me impatient :)

dave oc wrote: »
    Has anyone who ordered a standard 1st recently (last week or two) been given any timeframe for delivery? My dealer is being quite cagey and is reluctant to give even a guess but considering he thought it would be week 12 (next Monday onwards) for first delivery of them it’s promising that they’ve arrived early.

I ordered this day 2 weeks ago, should I have a vin number yet? My thinking would be that as VW are making a limited number of the 1st and they are not made to order, they should simply be making x amount of them and shipping them here? Is that a fair assumption?

I know people have had orders in for weeks/months before me, but all the video and photos coming out now are making me impatient :)

I don't know what lead times are but my guess would be 8-10 weeks including shipping. Purchasing ordering parts, drawings for production line etc. VIN numbers are normally produced a couple of weeks before production. I would say it will be at least 2 more weeks until you receive a VIN number.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What are people paying for their id4 1sts? Straight cash.

Is there bargaining to be had or are they all the same?

What are people paying for their id4 1sts? Straight cash.

Is there bargaining to be had or are they all the same?

Haha, I wish I had the cash for that kind of expense

No, I went begging on my knees for a PCP and didn't have any bargaining power as a result.

There might be deals to be had over the next few weeks, usually there'll be a few people who put down deposits and didn't finish the purchase for various reasons. So there might be a few ID.4s around that dealers are looking to get rid of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Dealer confirmed no alarm in the ID.4 1st.
    As for a tracker, the VW app can be set up to monitor the location and speed of the car - does that count as a tracker for insurance purposes?

Looks like some ID.3 series models have an option for an alarm, so would presume same for the ID.4 later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

The UK brochure for the 1st (and not max) says it comes with an alarm:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/order-a-brochure/id4
    "Anti-theft alarm with interior protection, deactivation via infotainment screen"

I know Irish/UK cars can have different specs, but it should at least be possible to add it later. Are we sure there are different versions of the car coming to Ireland and the UK?

FWIW, Aviva don't ask whether you have an alarm or not and I didn't see it mentioned in the assumptions

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

One thing I notice as a running theme in the UK 1st reviews (non-Max) is the mention of a wireless charging pad. The brochure shared around here seemed to indicate that's not the case in Ireland, with wireless charging only available in Max guise. Wonder if the UK reviews are accurate, and if that's the case, rather infuriating tbh at this price point to be lacking one.

I have been wondering about the lack of an alarm. With an EV what is the risk. Obviously it’s an issue for theft from the car but is it possible to steal the car itself. Can an EV be stolen without access to the key?

I have been wondering about the lack of an alarm. With an EV what is the risk. Obviously it’s an issue for theft from the car but is it possible to steal the car itself. Can an EV be stolen without access to the key?

Yes it's possible to steal EVs unfortunately, they have many of the same security issues as ICE vehicles

There were quite a few Nissan Leafs stolen over the last few years by using a radio signal booster to receive the signal from the wireless key, and rebroadcast it to the car. Someone tried it with my Leaf and was able to get inside but thankfully couldn't start the car

This allowed the thieves to gain entry and start the car without the key nearby, within about 20 metres was enough. Once the car is started, it'll reamin on even if it loses signal from the key. This is for safety, you wouldn't want you car to stop suddenly on a motorway because the battery in your key died

I'm hoping the VW keys have evolved beyond this issue, but I don't know that anyone has tested it yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

So, my ID.3 has this tile to turn the alarm on or off. Is that only on the Tour or other higher spec cars?

Image tag doesn't want to work... https://ibb.co/NTd6jM0

NTd6jM0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Haha, I wish I had the cash for that kind of expense

No, I went begging on my knees for a PCP and didn't have any bargaining power as a result.

There might be deals to be had over the next few weeks, usually there'll be a few people who put down deposits and didn't finish the purchase for various reasons. So there might be a few ID.4s around that dealers are looking to get rid of

What are the figures like on PCP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

dave oc wrote: »
    The UK brochure for the 1st (and not max) says it comes with an alarm:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/order-a-brochure/id4
    "Anti-theft alarm with interior protection, deactivation via infotainment screen"

I know Irish/UK cars can have different specs, but it should at least be possible to add it later. Are we sure there are different versions of the car coming to Ireland and the UK?

It’s just a case of Irish car dealers selling paddy the dregs as per. Especially with something electronic your paying for it to just be switched on not to install the thing.

So, my ID.3 has this tile to turn the alarm on or off. Is that only on the Tour or other higher spec cars?

Image tag doesn't want to work... https://ibb.co/NTd6jM0

NTd6jM0

On a factory floor every car on that line are fitted with the same electronics your just paying for bits ito be activated. Theoretically everything could be turned on a later date with an upgrade, which will be standard practice in year to come or if you were screwing a tech and it was a nixer.

On a factory floor every car on that line are fitted with the same electronics your just paying for bits ito be activated. Theoretically everything could be turned on a later date with an upgrade, which will be standard practice in year to come or if you were screwing a tech and it was a nixer.

Sort of :)

They'll have the same wiring harnesses and connections and such in the cars, so it'll often be the case of getting parts and installing them

This could range from very simple (the wireless phone charging pad seems easy enough) to extremely complex

For example the cars with Travel Assist have extra sensors and computers that the other cars don't. So it isn't a case that you can enable this via software later, you'd need to make significant hardware upgrades

CoBo55 wrote: »
    What are the figures like on PCP?

€17,229 deposit
    €501.61 per month for 36 months
    €22,921 final payment
    2.9% APR

2024 is going to be a fun year if I decide to keep the car :eek:

Yes it's possible to steal EVs unfortunately, they have many of the same security issues as ICE vehicles

There were quite a few Nissan Leafs stolen over the last few years by using a radio signal booster to receive the signal from the wireless key, and rebroadcast it to the car. Someone tried it with my Leaf and was able to get inside but thankfully couldn't start the car

This allowed the thieves to gain entry and start the car without the key nearby, within about 20 metres was enough. Once the car is started, it'll reamin on even if it loses signal from the key. This is for safety, you wouldn't want you car to stop suddenly on a motorway because the battery in your key died

I'm hoping the VW keys have evolved beyond this issue, but I don't know that anyone has tested it yet

Cheers. Does that mean an alarm would have no benefit then. Cause if the thief essentially has the codes the alarm wouldn’t go off anyway.

Cheers. Does that mean an alarm would have no benefit then. Cause if the thief essentially has the codes the alarm wouldn’t go off anyway.

In my case with the Leaf the alarm was of no benefit

I suspect the deterrence of an alarm is diminishing somewhat since most people ignore them when they go off

Hotwiring cars is a thing of the past, car thieves now use tricks like that key replication to spoof the car into starting. An alarm is no good in this scenario since the car thinks there's a legitimate key

Or they'll just break into your house and steal the key to rob your car

The only scenario where an alarm would help would be if a thief tries to break the windows, in which case they're probably going to grab whatever valuables are in the car and run, so the alarm won't help much anyway

€17,229 deposit
    €501.61 per month for 36 months
    €22,921 final payment
    2.9% APR

2024 is going to be a fun year if I decide to keep the car :eek:

PCP = phinal crippling payment.

• Advertisement

PCP = phinal crippling payment.

In 3 years time, VW are promising 800+ KM. That will be the key figure I'll be looking at. 400km is plenty for half the country

Advertisement