Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Thats bizarre -  I was just talking to a dealer yesterday and the PCP figures he gave me were:
    €5000 deposit
    €8500 trade in
    €347.97 X 36months
    GFV €19515
    2.9% APR

That was for a 1st edition (non max).

I wanted to throw more of a deposit but he said he couldn't do it. First time I've looked at PCP for a car, still not sure if I like it though. The fact we appear to have gotten two different quotes bothers me I have to say.

(Was looking at getting a car last year, happy upside of covid for me putting the skids on that then but on the up side have more of a deposit to play with) 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Thats bizarre - I was just talking to a dealer yesterday and the PCP figures he gave me were:
    €5000 deposit
    €8500 trade in
    €347.97 X 36months
    GFV €19515
    2.9% APR

I wanted to throw more of a deposit but he said he couldn't do it. First time I've looked at PCP for a car, still not sure if I like it though. The fact we appear to have gotten two different quotes bothers me I have to say.

(Was looking at getting a car last year, happy upside of covid for me putting the skids on that then but on the up side have more of a deposit to play with)

2 different quotes on what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats bizarre -  I was just talking to a dealer yesterday and the PCP figures he gave me were:
    €5000 deposit
    €8500 trade in
    €347.97 X 36months
    GFV €19515
    2.9% APR

The other poster is getting the Max I think - total payments = €58,208

Your total payments are €45,542.

GMFV looks a little off between both though. I would have imagined there'd be more of a difference between the two at year three than there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Summer8181 wrote: »
    In 3 years time, VW are promising 800+ KM. That will be the key figure I'll be looking at. 400km is plenty for half the country

When they give range figures in general does that take into account the regenerative braking bonus. I say bonus because it’s not applicable to ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

TitianGerm wrote: »

Aha - sorry should have spotted that.

But yeah the GFV difference seems to be smaller than it should be, right? (again, never looked at PCP before so might be all perfectly normal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

€17,229 deposit
    €501.61 per month for 36 months
    €22,921 final payment
    2.9% APR

2024 is going to be a fun year if I decide to keep the car :eek:

Hefty figures, getting into ev ownership is an expensive business. 23k settlement isn't leaving much room for going into the next deal in 2024. I've a year left on the superb with a 12k settlement I'll have the money to cash out as they say. Very difficult to know what to do. Those figures wouldn't encourage me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Hefty figures, getting into ev ownership is an expensive business. 23k settlement isn't leaving much room for going into the next deal in 2024. I've a year left on the superb with a 12k settlement I'll have the money to cash out as they say. Very difficult to know what to do. Those figures wouldn't encourage me tbh.

If it holds it's value as well as a Tiguan you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Gazzler82

Aha - sorry should have spotted that.

But yeah the GFV difference seems to be smaller than it should be, right? (again, never looked at PCP before so might be all perfectly normal)

Was quoted 22,432 GFV with a 10% depo for a1st. 536 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

TitianGerm wrote: »

Your total payments are €45,542.

GMFV looks a little off between both though. I would have imagined there'd be more of a difference between the two at year three than there.

Beat me to it :)

Yes I'm getting the Max which comes in just over €56k OTR

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Car ownership in general is an expensive business :(

I suspect VW kept the GMFV high to make the repayments lower. They also almost guaruntee someone is going to trade in that car against a newer one by making the final payment unattractive

• Advertisement

When they give range figures in general does that take into account the regenerative braking bonus. I say bonus because it’s not applicable to ICE.

Sort of, the WLTP cycle has acceleration and deceleration cycles which would use the regen

Truth be told, regen won't play a huge factor on a long journey unless there's a mountain in the middle. It's more efficient to coast if you can than to brake and accelerate again

Regen is more useful in city driving IMO because it gives you more of a one pedal experience and saves your brake pads

The ID.4 has a neat trick where it'll adjust the regen based on the road conditions ahead. For example, if you're appraoching a junction it'll prompt you to life off the accelerator pedal and will turn the regen to max to recover as much energy as possible

Car ownership in general is an expensive business :(

I suspect VW kept the GMFV high to make the repayments lower. They also almost guaruntee someone is going to trade in that car against a newer one by making the final payment unattractive

There's expensive and there's expensive, can't see myself making the leap next year into ev ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Wait until diesel is €2 a litre. It's might not be too far away.

There's expensive and there's expensive, can't see myself making the leap next year into ev ownership.

It's up to you of course but you may want to consider cheaper alternatives. The ID.4 is in a totally different segment to the Skoda Superb so there's not much point comparing them

There's lower priced cars out out there like the Ioniq, ID.3, MG 5 EV and others

It's up to you of course but you may want to consider cheaper alternatives. The ID.4 is in a totally different segment to the Skoda Superb so there's not much point comparing them

There's lower priced cars out out there like the Ioniq, ID.3, MG 5 EV and others

Skoda have their own take in the ID 4, maybe it’s not out yet but it soon will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Anyone have an order for the ID.4 (non-Max)? It seems the Max is the popular one, but the difference in price is not small (about 12k?). Anyone else think the base car is good enough? On the fence about whether the Max is worth the extra outlay.

eko wrote: »
    Anyone have an order for the ID.4 (non-Max)? It seems the Max is the popular one, but the difference in price is not small (about 12k?). Anyone else think the base car is good enough? On the fence about whether the Max is worth the extra outlay.

I'd say the Max is worth it if you're planning on a lot of long distance driving since it's got the Travel assist and matrix headlights. It's also got the panoramic roof which really opens up the interior

It's up to you whether that's worth the 12k extra. It's a big outlay and it probably doesn't make financial sense in terms of value for money or future value

But then again, when has buying a car been about financial responsibility :)

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I was told the ID.4 software update takes about 3.5 hours. I'm not sure what version the car was shipped with, but doesn't seem to be as big a problem as some of the ID.3's are having.

Another thing I heard was that the VW app will at some point in the future offer users the option to purchase items. I've no idea what this really means, but I suppose that they could add new software features to the car that they could unlock - given that OTA updates should be a feature on 2.1 I guess this could be possible.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that any major updates in the future would not be done OTA and would require the car being booked in, but surely this defeats the purpose of OTA? I wonder why VW aren't making more of a big deal about OTA given how strong a feature it should be.

Apart from Tesla, do other EV manufacturers provide OTA updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Well, a control module in my id.3 was fried today during the update from the original software...

• Advertisement

Well, a control module in my id.3 was fried today during the update from the original software...

Was that listed in the known bugs? :D

cannco253 wrote: »
    I was told the ID.4 software update takes about 3.5 hours. I'm not sure what version the car was shipped with, but doesn't seem to be as big a problem as some of the ID.3's are having.

Another thing I heard was that the VW app will at some point in the future offer users the option to purchase items. I've no idea what this really means, but I suppose that they could add new software features to the car that they could unlock - given that OTA updates should be a feature on 2.1 I guess this could be possible.

It's been mentioned elsewhere that any major updates in the future would not be done OTA and would require the car being booked in, but surely this defeats the purpose of OTA? I wonder why VW aren't making more of a big deal about OTA given how strong a feature it should be.

I don’t know is about cars but that’s the model John Deere are pursuing. The future of car ownership is a subscription model.

You’ll buy a standard shell and purchase upgrades as you need or want them much like Netflix.

In China there bringing out that model, if you want to go on a long journey you buy/rent a battery upgrade. So you’re going on a long trip Wednesday and on Tuesday you drive to a warehouse and they swap your battery over. Same with cruise control or anything you upgrade for the period you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Skoda have their own take in the ID 4, maybe it’s not out yet but it soon will be.

I looked at the Enyaq but for similar range the price was the same as an id4, I think the id4 is a nicer car, it was higher spec and I'd assume as a VW it might hold its value a bit better than the Skoda. Unfortunately no bargain EVs from the VAG group

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I looked at the Enyaq but for similar range the price was the same as an id4, I think the id4 is a nicer car, it was higher spec and I'd assume as a VW it might hold its value a bit better than the Skoda. Unfortunately no bargain EVs from the VAG group

What was the difference in spec. Honestly, the Enyaq’s interior looks like it was far more expensive to produce than the id4s touchscreen/haptics cost cutting.

What was the difference in spec. Honestly, the Enyaq’s interior looks like it was far more expensive to produce than the id4s touchscreen/haptics cost cutting.

One of the things I like about cars is that we all appreciate different things.

From what I can see the Enyaq 77 kW is nearly 45k on the road. Once you added in metallic paint, 125kw charging your looking at over 46k Vs 42 for the id4. Id4 has worked Android auto and OTA updates going for it too.

I think the Enyaq standard interior looks awful so would have wanted to upgrade that. Given they're similar cars I'd say they'll both be worth a similar amount in 3 years time so I'd rather go the cheaper car at a better spec from VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

cannco253 wrote: »

BMW

One of the things I like about cars is that we all appreciate different things.

From what I can see the Enyaq 77 kW is nearly 45k on the road. Once you added in metallic paint, 125kw charging your looking at over 46k Vs 42 for the id4. Id4 has worked Android auto and OTA updates going for it too.

I think the Enyaq standard interior looks awful so would have wanted to upgrade that. Given they're similar cars I'd say they'll both be worth a similar amount in 3 years time so I'd rather go the cheaper car at a better spec from VW.

I’d assume the entire VAG group for the recent releases should all receive OTA updates, no?

I dont know how anyone can think the iD4 dash/controls are an upgrade on anything. They seem objectively awful. The latest golf is bad, but this seems an Oder of magnitude worse. I was just watching Matt Watson Carwow review and I’m struggling to think of anything as cheap and compromised in the price bracket. The fit out budget for the range most have been incredibly severe given the level of cut backs (eg the lack of an independent rear windows controls is something else, it’s like something you’d imagine on a 15k city car)

I’d assume the entire VAG group for the recent releases should all receive OTA updates, no?

I dont know how anyone can think the iD4 dash/controls are an upgrade on anything. They seem objectively awful. The latest golf is bad, but this seems an Oder of magnitude worse. I was just watching Matt Watson Carwow review and I’m struggling to think of anything as cheap and compromised in the price bracket. The fit out budget for the range most have been incredibly severe given the level of cut backs (eg the lack of an independent rear windows controls is something else, it’s like something you’d imagine on a 15k city car)

That's cool that Skoda are doing OTA, glad to hear it!

The rear window thing I kind of like, I never use all buttons together and generally never use any outside of driver window so not hitting the wrong button is a bonus for me. I haven't seen anything about dash controls that seems particularly bad, what's the issue exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

In fairness I got the impression from Matt Watson that he went into that review not liking the car at all and picked up any little thing he didn't like. It was the first review of the ID4 I saw where the reviewer was so harsh on every aspect of the car.

Personally I love the look of the outside of it and the inside is nice but not amazing. The price is very saucey for the standard of interior based on what I have seen in reviews. I'll hold out on full judgement until I get to actually sit in one.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    In fairness I got the impression from Matt Watson that he went into that review not liking the car at all and picked up any little thing he didn't like. It was the first review of the ID4 I saw where the reviewer was so harsh on every aspect of the car.

Matt Watson isn’t exactly a hatchet man is he? Given his role and who he works for, it’s not in his interest. And nobody really wants to piss off VW. My take away is that the product must be fairy bad if that’s the level of enthusiasm. It’s kinda of like when you see a 4 out of 5 on autocar or autoexpress for VW.

Advertisement