Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I’d assume the entire VAG group for the recent releases should all receive OTA updates, no?

I dont know how anyone can think the iD4 dash/controls are an upgrade on anything. They seem objectively awful. The latest golf is bad, but this seems an Oder of magnitude worse. I was just watching Matt Watson Carwow review and I’m struggling to think of anything as cheap and compromised in the price bracket. The fit out budget for the range most have been incredibly severe given the level of cut backs (eg the lack of an independent rear windows controls is something else, it’s like something you’d imagine on a 15k city car)

I don't get this whole cheap interior thing people are throwing around. Okay the rear window thing is a bit dumb and there's a couple of things I'd change on the ID.4 interior (light up the volume switch, proper storage in the centre console) but overall I think it's really nice

Personally I like the minimalist style the ID cars are going with, I've never been a fan of loads of buttons in a car.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

The late brake reviewer wasn’t a fan of the interior layout especially the central screen, I would agree but that is down to taste more than anything. My taste would be more to the interior layout of the Ariya.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Matt Watson isn’t exactly a hatchet man is he? Given his role and who he works for, it’s not in his interest. And nobody really wants to piss off VW. My take away is that the product must be fairy bad if that’s the level of enthusiasm. It’s kinda of like when you see a 4 out of 5 on autocar or autoexpress for VW.

I've watched a lot of his reviews over the years and he definitely shows preference to certain cars. I've seen him give out about something on one car but let the exact same thing completely slide on a different car. I wouldn't call him a hatchet man but probably human nature for people to have preferences even if they try not to.

I also hate when reviewers in general compare a 35k car to an 80k car in a review. Not just him that does that though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Vroom vroom I picked it up today
    Got the blue.
    As an owner of a wide range if cars from Mondeo St, few VRs, Mazda Mps, superb est Sportline and then the Passat Gte estate this is probably the most comfortable car I've driven.
    It's definitely a bulkier car at 2 tons but it's not too rolly.

I drove it home to Castlebar via Tuam just to give myself lots of drive time.

First off it looks really really well. Much bigger than I expected and internally there is a lot of room.
    It takes time To get use to the drive and controls up at the hands.
    It's really solid on the door close and also on tbe drive. The cabin sound is a lot less than the Passat and I found it much more comfortable due to the position but the seats are really good.

Pedal wise it's pokey when you need it, but drive it like a devil and you'll see the km range drop like a rock. Motorway driving above 130 kmph and you'll not get near the 450 range.
    The pickup for a big unit is a lot better than I expected.

Infotainment is excellent, very responsive and my android phone worked straight away
    Arm rests are positioned really well.
    Steering wheel is a nice feel.

It's still weird no gear lever as I'd be a driver with the hand in the stick a lot!
    The voice control is pretty decent and when I asked to find me chargers it did it rapid.

Boot size is perfect and the rear space for adults is best I've come across.

The middle head rest blocks your view so mine will come out.

All in all after my long drive I love it. Anyone who's seen it think it's class. My kids love it.
    On first impression I'm giving it a 10/10

Anyone buying won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

yop wrote: »
    Got the blue.
    As an owner of a wide range if cars from Mondeo St, few VRs, Mazda Mps, superb est Sportline and then the Passat Gte estate this is probably the most comfortable car I've driven.

First off it looks really really well. Much bigger than I expected and internally there is a lot of room.
    It's really solid on the door close and also on tbe drive. The cabin sound is a lot less than the Passat and I found it much more comfortable due to the position but the seats are really good.

Pedal wise it's pokey when you need it, but drive it like a devil and you'll see the km range drop like a rock. Motorway driving above 130 kmph and you'll not get near the 450 range.

Infotainment is excellent, very responsive and my android phone worked straight away

It's still weird no gear lever as I'd be a driver with the hand in the stick a lot!
    The voice control is pretty decent and when I asked to find me chargers it did it rapid.

All in all after my long drive I love it. Anyone who's seen it think it's class. My kids love it.

I'm very jealous. Collecting Thursday in blue, did you have any issues with checkpoints? I assume it's allowed under essential travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Got the blue.

Congrats. Blue on the way also if I could only get a date from the dealer. Do you mind me asking where you purchased? Keep us posted on how the range is working out for you over the coming days

Got the blue.

Congrats, wear well. You could be the first owner here to collect so keep us posted on your experience

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Got the blue.

Nice one:D Throw up an aul pic if you get a chance. Give us the odd update too I'm sure many are curious. Have you home charging already sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Wishing you safe & happy motoring in it.
    If you get a chance to check can you let us know if there is any lumbar support in the front seats please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Without a doubt this is the historic pivotal point in ev history when a solid family suv style car transforms the car industry. No compromises and huge benefits at no additional cost. Can't wait to see one and one day own one!

• Advertisement

Matt Watson isn’t exactly a hatchet man is he? Given his role and who he works for, it’s not in his interest. And nobody really wants to piss off VW. My take away is that the product must be fairy bad if that’s the level of enthusiasm. It’s kinda of like when you see a 4 out of 5 on autocar or autoexpress for VW.

I dunno, I would say Matt is in it for the entertainment value rather than providing meaningful reviews. He seems to be trying to do a discount top gear show at times

He wasn't the biggest fan on the ID.3 and I suspect a lot of that leaked through to the ID.4

Some of the stuff he picked up on was valid like the tiny glove compartment. But I think a lot of the 'negatives' were him scratching for things to complain about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lantus wrote: »
    Without a doubt this is the historic pivotal point in ev history when a solid family suv style car transforms the car industry. No compromises and huge benefits at no additional cost. Can't wait to see one and one day own one!

I wouldn't say at no additional cost, for me personally it's way out of my price league, maybe a 21 model in 2023 might be affordable, who knows? Going on the two PCP deals shown here they're bloody expensive. Without question they're a lovely car but holy moley those figures are scaldy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/id4

"Crossovers are family transit pods. And judged through that lens, the ID.4 is right on target"

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Our ID.3 Max order got "lost" and we are now looking at an ID.4 1st (non-Max) model, for roughly the same money. The Max is totally not available in Ireland, it seems. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons - bigger car, longer range, but some of the toys from the ID.3 Max would have been nice, like the head-up display.

For sure the Max is a better model, but has anyone else here ordered the normal 1st edition also?

eko wrote: »
    Our ID.3 Max order got "lost" and we are now looking at an ID.4 1st (non-Max) model, for roughly the same money. The Max is totally not available in Ireland, it seems. I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons - bigger car, longer range, but some of the toys from the ID.3 Max would have been nice, like the head-up display.

For sure the Max is a better model, but has anyone else here ordered the normal 1st edition also?

Anyone who is collecting their cars in the next few weeks is a 1st owner, the 1st Max hasn't been delivered yet and mine isn't expected until end of April :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Was passing VW in liffey valley today, spotted an ID4 in blue in the car park.

Went for a nose, it was a max -- 21" wheels and iq lights, looked well.

No reg plate tho.

Ya Pierse Motors in Tipp have a max in the show room. I'd say a lot of dealers have the Max in the showrooms. It's a pity there is such a price difference between the First and Max.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Jofspring wrote: »
    Ya Pierse Motors in Tipp have a max in the show room. I'd say a lot of dealers have the Max in the showrooms. It's a pity there is such a price difference between the First and Max.

There are models in between coming soon.

There are models in between coming soon.

Ya saw the brochure alright. At a quick glance the current 1st edition still looks the best value as far as spec and price goes.

Am I right in saying neither of the 1st models have electric seats, nor memory seats?

The brochure doesn't mention them for the 1st (Max has pneumatically adjustable lumbar support), but they're standard on the "Tech" spec, and optional on the Style, Business and Family spec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

1st Max has electric memory seats including adjustable lumbar and the 'massage' function which is really automated moving of the lumbar support as I understand it.
    1st max also has power liftgate, IQ (active matrix LED) Lights, HUD, travel assist, the led lightstrip across the front, panoramic roof and wireless charigng pad (?!), and a 12@ instead of 10@ screen.

That's the differences as I remember them at least.

catharsis wrote: »
    1st Max has electric memory seats including adjustable lumbar and the 'massage' function which is really automated moving of the lumbar support as I understand it.
    1st max also has power liftgate, IQ (active matrix LED) Lights, HUD, travel assist, the led lightstrip across the front, panoramic roof and wireless charigng pad (?!), and a 12@ instead of 10@ screen.

That's the differences as I remember them at least.

And Travel assist (lane following with adaptive cruise control)

So no electric seats for the plebs who can only shell out €42k? :rolleyes:
    Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Spotted on m7 EASTbound around Portlaoise today. Where would they be coming from to be there heading east? Would they come into port of Cork,?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Came into Rosslare and going to drop one off before heading back West????

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

WattsUp wrote: »
    Spotted on m7 EASTbound around Portlaoise today. Where would they be coming from to be there heading east? Would they come into port of Cork,?

Are they all white with one white and one blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

WattsUp wrote: »

I passed through Ringaskiddy (Cork port) earlier and spotted a trailer load of ID4s there. Said I'd stop on the way back and grab a pic.....it was gone! Maybe that one is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Blackwater motors had at least two ID.4s in white and grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

So no electric seats for the plebs who can only shell out €42k? :rolleyes:
    Shame

BMW 430i M-sport Pro @ 72K also has manual seats so not exactly unheard of.

• Advertisement

Blackwater motors had at least two ID.4s in white and grey.

Was told the white is their demo model

Advertisement