Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

catharsis wrote: »
    1st Max has electric memory seats including adjustable lumbar and the 'massage' function which is really automated moving of the lumbar support as I understand it.
    1st max also has power liftgate, IQ (active matrix LED) Lights, HUD, travel assist, the led lightstrip across the front, panoramic roof and wireless charigng pad (?!), and a 12@ instead of 10@ screen.

That's the differences as I remember them at least.

I have the massage seats in the ID.3. It certainly doesn't feel like the lumbar support moving. For one thing, the lumbar support is still right where it should be. The other thing is that it feels like rollers that work on each side of the spine and move up and down, in and out. They can be adjusted to work higher up or lower down, but the lumbar support, which is pneumatic, stays where you have adjusted it to, in both height and support strength.

It works for 10 minutes, and feels really good. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

My car is due in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Summer8181 wrote: »
    My car is due in next week.
    When did you order? Mine is stuck in the factory at 'checkpoint 8' for a while now with little by means of an update or estimate available

declan123 wrote: »
    When did you order? Mine is stuck in the factory at 'checkpoint 8' for a while now with little by means of an update or estimate available

November. Dealer is hopeful but other cars were delayed over a week last week.

Cheers, I ordered mine at the end of Feb so I shouldn't complain I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

1st or 1st Max?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

1st or 1st Max?

1st

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Today I learned...
    Dealers love to know where you're from. What's with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Today I learned...

Trying to strike up a friendship buddy!

Trying to strike up a friendship buddy!

They're not my buddy friend!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

They're not my buddy friend!

Not your friend, pal!

Today I learned...

I'm always tempted to give unhelpful answers like "my house" when people ask where I'm from :)

I'm always tempted to give unhelpful answers like "my house" when people ask where I'm from :)

I should probably ask if there's a discount if I say the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Today I learned...

Kearys probably have an APB out on you - likely posters up in dealers' showrooms with your picture, labelled "rebel" :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Today I learned...

It’s either they need your address for a quote for their system or they’re trying to find out if you’re from 200 kms away and possibly wasting their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Today I learned...

Tyre kicker alert...

L-M wrote: »
    It’s either they need your address for a quote for their system or they’re trying to find out if you’re from 200 kms away and possibly wasting their time.

Gimme the right price and I'll buy. Fair point about the distance though, it is a bit of a factor. No real word back from Limerick VW yet (I very much assume you're Limerick based). Taking today off it seems.

Kramer wrote: »
    Kearys probably have an APB out on you - likely posters up in dealers' showrooms with your picture, labelled "rebel" :D.

I've been back to them recently and all went pretty well. Though they did machine wash the car. Hate those things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

That's very short sighted by dealers. I live in Wexford and bought my Ioniq on the north side of Dublin. It can be difficult buying a car in the south east. The Boland brothers have the whole thing sewn up, and the dealers must be told to extract every last cent.

If I call a dealer anywhere in Ireland, I'm very serious about buying a car. Their attitude to me will decide whether there's a stroke through their name on my list, or not. There are 30 Hyundai dealers in Ireland, 34 Volkswagen. I know this, because I have the lists printed out.

That's very short sighted by dealers. I live in Wexford and bought my Ioniq on the north side of Dublin. It can be difficult buying a car in the south west. The Boland brothers have the whole thing sewn up, and the dealers must be told to extract every last cent.

If I call a dealer anywhere in Ireland, I'm very serious about buying a car. Their attitude to me will decide whether there's a stroke through their name on my list, or not. There are 30 Hyundai dealers in Ireland, 34 Volkswagen. I know this, because I have the lists printed out.

The sales person you talk to on the day has a huge impact in my opinion. I rang a lot of VW dealers and found some to be very pushy with no movement on price. Others offered better trade in or straight deal and tended to be less pushy. We went with a dealer who's nearly 300km away because what's a few hours driving each way for something that costs over 40k?

• Advertisement

The sales person you talk to on the day has a huge impact in my opinion. I rang a lot of VW dealers and found some to be very pushy with no movement on price. Others offered better trade in or straight deal and tended to be less pushy. We went with a dealer who's nearly 300km away because what's a few hours driving each way for something that costs over 40k?

Yup. I went to my local on Monday and after leaving my details I was never called - I called them that evening and was pushed back to say "see the car first" rather than give me a price, and they never emailed me anything (not that I need it) when they said they would. I emailed a 6 or so on Tuesday, and 3 replied back. I rang another 1 and with that short list so far i've certainly warmed to 1 over the others.

A few more to ring today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Unfortunately what you did rarely happens.

I’m selling cars 14 years, I’ve been through it all and around the block. As much as what the do gooders on boards say, the reality is people want to price around and get the best price but still buy local. I can’t blame people really, but we are the people getting 20 phone calls a day looking for our “best price”. What people forget it were on a commission and we don’t make any money if we sell a car on a straight deal and give €2,500 off the price.

You might think that you got a better deal somewhere else, but reality is each dealer is only getting X amount of ID4s, some sold all theirs too cheap and now they can’t get any more and some dealers didn’t and they can hold onto them for their own local customers who they’d prefer to sell to, or to get a better trade in and or a better straight deal price.

The reality is dealers prefer to sell in their county. Targets etc are based on the market share of their brand in their county, so they’re chasing that. Also, selling locally means John and Mary will tell Their neighbours where they bought their car, they’ll bring their family and kids to buy cars there.

If you’re getting bitter because you’re from Dublin and a dealer in Limerick doesn’t want to sell you a car that’s in short supply well then, you don’t understand the business as a whole.

I’m selling cars 14 years, I’ve been through it all and around the block. As much as what the do gooders on boards say, the reality is people want to price around and get the best price but still buy local. I can’t blame people really, but we are the people getting 20 phone calls a day looking for our “best price”. What people forget it were on a commission and we don’t make any money if we sell a car on a straight deal and give €2,500 off the price.

You might think that you got a better deal somewhere else, but reality is each dealer is only getting X amount of ID4s, some sold all theirs too cheap and now they can’t get any more and some dealers didn’t and they can hold onto them for their own local customers who they’d prefer to sell to, or to get a better trade in and or a better straight deal price.

The reality is dealers prefer to sell in their county. Targets etc are based on the market share of their brand in their county, so they’re chasing that. Also, selling locally means John and Mary will tell Their neighbours where they bought their car, they’ll bring their family and kids to buy cars there.

If you’re getting bitter because you’re from Dublin and a dealer in Limerick doesn’t want to sell you a car that’s in short supply well then, you don’t understand the business as a whole.

Again I think it depends who you get on the phone, I bought mine from a dealer 3 hours away and when I was taking to my neighbor he was interested and ended up going with the same dealer for 2 commercial purchases because the price was a lot better than local dealerships. That's 3 id4's sold in November/December last year because that salesperson took an enquiry seriously.

I agree, the attitude of the salesman has a big impact. I'm lucky in that the guy I'm dealer with in my local VW dealership is an EV driver and does quite a few EV sales. He seems to handle all the EV sales for that branch

I've spoken to guys in the same dealership, and in other dealerships who have no interest in selling EVs

It's very frustrating when you ring up a dealership and ask to buy an EV and get told you don't want one and to get a diesel or a hybrid instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That's very short sighted by dealers. I live in Wexford and bought my Ioniq on the north side of Dublin. It can be difficult buying a car in the south east. The Boland brothers have the whole thing sewn up, and the dealers must be told to extract every last cent.

I bought my latest car in Waterford from a non Boland's garage. The next car I buy will be from the same garage there's no way I'll buy a car from any Boland's garage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I'm very jealous. Collecting Thursday in blue, did you have any issues with checkpoints? I assume it's allowed under essential travel?
    No checkpoints at all. Westport to Dublin and back via Galway and not a sinner to be seen. And its essential anyway :)
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    Nice one:D Throw up an aul pic if you get a chance. Give us the odd update too I'm sure many are curious. Have you home charging already sorted?
    I charged it on Tues night when I got home to 80%

Thanks lads. I'm DELIGHTED with it, did i say I was DELIGHTED with it :D
    This is the 11th car I've owned and its totally not my "usual", but I'm very happy with the choice.
    Yesterday I had it parked in 2 different locations and was really surprised at the number of people in for a look through the windows and a walk around while I was away from it, i could still see the car as I was walking or queuing up, so its generating interest to say the least.

Consumption wise its around the 18.4kwh/100 km for yesterdays travel of 107 km around the place.

Negatives I have - lacking storage. The boot box for the cables in much smaller than the GTE, not sure why, but its a struggle to fit granny/normal charge cables in there.
    No side boot storage. In the Superb there were 2 lockers with doors for storing things, like windscreen washer, kids wipes, hats etc, on the GTE there was storage but no doors, on this there is zero.
    Centre console storage is also gone on this, I see the Skoda equivalent they retained the storage there under the armrest.
    The glove box is 1/2 the size as normal. No coin storage to the right of the steering.

But I am REALLY nit picking there.

Ride position, comfort, acceleration is excellent. I have put probably close on 500km on it now at this stage and I just enjoy getting in and driving it.

The garages may offer the 3 service levels, which is from 12 to 18 euro per month. The upper limit will give you a set of tires. Service is done after 2 years also.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

I see the above as evidence of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I call you, you don't want to sell me a car (for whatever reason) - you let me know that through lack of motivation or simply by telling me, I do not buy a car - you now have confirmation that "everyone buys locally anyway".

I have bought 7 new cars in my lifetime and in every case I have not bought the car I originally intended to because the sales staff at my first target were unprofessional unhelpful or both and I either discovered a better alternative while researching options or I chose the a different car because of a better buying experience. I know that many people have told me the same thing.
    I'm not spending 50K with someone who doesn't bother returning my phone calls -period.

interestingly I am buying the ID.4 from a (reasonably) courteous professional rep at a garage where I previously walked away without purchasing a new Passat GTE specifically because the dealer I was working with was so useless at returning calls and answering questions, so I bought a different car from a different dealer.

yop wrote: »
    No checkpoints at all. Westport to Dublin and back via Galway and not a sinner to be seen. And its essential anyway :)

This is the 11th car I've owned and its totally not my "usual", but I'm very happy with the choice.
    Yesterday I had it parked in 2 different locations and was really surprised at the number of people in for a look through the windows and a walk around while I was away from it, i could still see the car as I was walking or queuing up, so its generating interest to say the least.

Consumption wise its around the 18.4kwh/100 km for yesterdays travel of 107 km around the place.

Negatives I have - lacking storage. The boot box for the cables in much smaller than the GTE, not sure why, but its a struggle to fit granny/normal charge cables in there.
    No side boot storage. In the Superb there were 2 lockers with doors for storing things, like windscreen washer, kids wipes, hats etc, on the GTE there was storage but no doors, on this there is zero.
    Centre console storage is also gone on this, I see the Skoda equivalent they retained the storage there under the armrest.
    The glove box is 1/2 the size as normal. No coin storage to the right of the steering.

Ride position, comfort, acceleration is excellent. I have put probably close on 500km on it now at this stage and I just enjoy getting in and driving it.

The garages may offer the 3 service levels, which is from 12 to 18 euro per month. The upper limit will give you a set of tires. Service is done after 2 years also.

Glad to hear it's going well. The lack of storage is something I noticed recently as well, it's not bad but you'd expect more for the size of the car

I'm hoping someone makes an insert for the front of the center console so you can put stuff there without it sliding out

Agree the miniature glove box is annoying, the fuse box is in there and VW didn't bother moving it

The 1st Max has little plastic dividers for the sides of the boot which make it useful for storing cables, maybe there'll be an aftermarket version as well you could add later

You're getting very efficient usage for such a big car, a lot of drivers in Europ have been reporting upwards of 25kWh/100km, albeit in freezing winter months. Is that mostly local driving? Would there have been many high speed runs in that?

yop wrote: »

Good to hear positive feedback after a few days of living with it. How is the infotainment system, there are still some reports of buggy software, etc?

• Advertisement

18.4 is excellent fuel figures. I'll be at some 200-300Km trips when I get my car in the coming weeks. It will be mainly 120-130km per hour. I'll let you know the real figures then

Advertisement