Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is that mostly local driving? Would there have been many high speed runs in that?
    It was 55 kph average on national roads. 1hr 56 mins of driving over 107km
    declan123 wrote: »
    Good to hear positive feedback after a few days of living with it. How is the infotainment system, there are still some reports of buggy software, etc?
    Its miles ahead of that on the GTE I had, the "swipe" doesn't work for me at all, but that I don't really care. I find the "Hello ID" voice control works a treat tbh. The navigation will display the chargers on your route which I like.
    Android auto works infinitely better than the GTE too.

The big thing for me is that I don't need to plug it in every single time I come home, it was charged there Tues to 80% and it will be Sunday I'd say when i charge again. Estimate cost on rural night rate (8 cent per unit, i went up this week from 6) to charge is 5.90 euro.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Summer8181 wrote: »
    18.4 is excellent fuel figures. I'll be at some 200-300Km trips when I get my car in the coming weeks. It will be mainly 120-130km per hour. I'll let you know the real figures then

I didn't check it on the return from Dublin, but I sat around 135 for most of it and it ate the battery at a bit rate. But if you can sit at 110-115 it will give you a chunk more battery.
    I'll be the same too once lock down lift as I'll travel to Dublin once per week or so.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Did VW correct the positioning of the light control panel in the ID4 compared to the id3? IIRC the ID3 kept them on the left hand side for RHD cars, kinda hidden behind the indicator stalk, but from what I see at our local dealer, the RHD ID4 has the light control panel on the right hand side beside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did VW correct the positioning of the light control panel in the ID4 compared to the id3? IIRC the ID3 kept them on the left hand side for RHD cars, kinda hidden behind the indicator stalk, but from what I see at our local dealer, the RHD ID4 has the light control panel on the right hand side beside the door.

Yeah it's to the right of the steering wheel now, mirror image of the LHD cars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

im getting an ID4 on test for a few hours 22nd of April while my Tiguan is in for service. Be curious to see what its like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

im getting an ID4 on test for a few hours 22nd of April while my Tiguan is in for service. Be curious to see what its like

ID4 is about 6 inches longer than new model Tiguan. ID4 is slightly wider too. Tiguan is a fine machine.

Summer8181 wrote: »
    ID4 is about 6 inches longer than new model Tiguan. ID4 is slightly wider too. Tiguan is a fine machine.

enjoying the tiguan... 1.5 petrol auto with full leather storm grey with sunroof etc.. spec is hard to beat...

yop wrote: »
    I didn't check it on the return from Dublin, but I sat around 135 for most of it and it ate the battery at a bit rate. But if you can sit at 110-115 it will give you a chunk more battery.
    I'll be the same too once lock down lift as I'll travel to Dublin once per week or so.

Have you signed up to we charge yet? Did you get any deals for the paid plans?

The middle plan, We Charge Go, used to be free for 3 years for ID owners but it looks like VW have withdrawn that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

enjoying the tiguan... 1.5 petrol auto with full leather storm grey with sunroof etc.. spec is hard to beat...

1.5 auto seems to be the best combination. What's it like on fuel now that you have it a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

catharsis wrote: »
    I see the above as evidence of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I call you, you don't want to sell me a car (for whatever reason) - you let me know that through lack of motivation or simply by telling me, I do not buy a car - you now have confirmation that "everyone buys locally anyway".

I have bought 7 new cars in my lifetime and in every case I have not bought the car I originally intended to because the sales staff at my first target were unprofessional unhelpful or both and I either discovered a better alternative while researching options or I chose the a different car because of a better buying experience. I know that many people have told me the same thing.
    I'm not spending 50K with someone who doesn't bother returning my phone calls -period.

interestingly I am buying the ID.4 from a (reasonably) courteous professional rep at a garage where I previously walked away without purchasing a new Passat GTE specifically because the dealer I was working with was so useless at returning calls and answering questions, so I bought a different car from a different dealer.

I’m not defending useless sales people, like every industry there’s plenty about. Go out and buy anything from a sink to a sandwich and you’ll meet the same. I’m defending sales people who are taking calls from all over the country and expected to drop their trousers without any ounce of committed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

L-M wrote: »
    I’m not defending useless sales people, like every industry there’s plenty about. Go out and buy anything from a sink to a sandwich and you’ll meet the same. I’m defending sales people who are taking calls from all over the country and expected to drop their trousers without any ounce of committed.

I agree. There has to be some return on investment. Local people have a better chance of getting car serviced locally. Would you travel 300km for a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭CoBo55

L-M wrote: »

A return phone call would be nice. Not really interested in seeing what's beneath the trousers. Garage I dealt with in Waterford didn't worry about the phone bill and they'd never heard of me before, I'll definitely be contacting them again when the time comes.

Careful you don't enjoy it too much, your Tiguan might get jealous :)

Have you signed up to we charge yet? Did you get any deals for the paid plans?

The middle plan, We Charge Go, used to be free for 3 years for ID owners but it looks like VW have withdrawn that :(

Free plan is .79 cent per kwh
    Go plan is .55 cent per kwh & 7.49 euro per month
    Plus plan is .30 cent per kwh & 17.49 per month

Damn, VW were offering the Go plan with no monthly charge for 3 years and Plus for €10 per month for 3 years

I guess they needed to make some more money :(

CoBo55 wrote: »
    1.5 auto seems to be the best combination. What's it like on fuel now that you have it a while?

To be honest ive gone from driving 600km a week to about 15km a week due to working from home fulltime with covid... im only filling it every 5 weeks or so.. i dont even bother checking the fuel usage... i think it was somewhere around 6 litres per 100km the last time i did a long journey.. even post covid our office situation will have changed dramatically so fuel costs won't be a substantial factor. That said i fully expect when im due to change in 2 years ill be in a id4... or if VW wanted to swap me into one now on the same pcp i might take it... ive only 12k km on the tiguan... i don't think the id4 spec would match it though in terms of comfort

The garages may offer the 3 service levels, which is from 12 to 18 euro per month. The upper limit will give you a set of tires. Service is done after 2 years also.

18 euro a month and it includes a full set to tyres after 2 years (€576 after 2 years)? That's pretty good. They're 235/50/20 and not cheap at ~€200 a corner from oponeo.

Cars come with either Bridgestone or Hankook tyres from what I seen today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

18 euro a month and it includes a full set to tyres after 2 years (€576 after 2 years)? That's pretty good. They're 235/50/20 and not cheap at ~€200 a corner from oponeo.

With my ID.3 it was a three year service plan, which included free tyres. Was included free as a first mover option.

Only problem is getting a bit of wear to avail of the free tyres, lockdown now being leaked into July:(

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

Don't they tie it to the length of the PCP, bumping it up to €648? Still decent value as long as the replacement tyres are to factory spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

Hi,

Just wondering how you would calculate the cost of charging an ID4 using these figures. Trying to work out if it is feasible to just use public charge points for approximately 300km of driving per week?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Just wondering how you would calculate the cost of charging an ID4 using these figures. Trying to work out if it is feasible to just use public charge points for approximately 300km of driving per week?

Thanks.

Hey
    The car I have is a 77 kw car so from flat to 100% (They recommend 80%) would be the kw of the car * the cost per kw at the charge station + if they add any extra to the charge.
    I'm still very new to the full Ev scene so others can comment.

But for a full charge then my car would cost me 60 euro to charge at one of those stations or is that right?

I charge with the ESB chargers on Tues and the cost was as follows:
    Duration 00:23:41
    energy consumed 18.870.
    Cost €5.76
    So that is around 30 cent per KW.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Damn, VW were offering the Go plan with no monthly charge for 3 years and Plus for €10 per month for 3 years

Wasn't that a special perk for the 1st editions?

Hi,

Thanks.

I assume you mean you'll be doing 100% of your driving using public chargers? Or would you be doing a 300km road trip every week?

The charging costs are really dictated by the availibility of chargers around you. If you're using public charging for all your driving, then you'll probably be looking at public AC points near where you live or work. They range from free (in Lidl) to 27c/kWh at ESB chargers

300km per week at say 22kWh/100km average gives 66kWh of energy used. Round up to 70kWh to account for any charging losses

At 27c/kWh this works out at €18.90 per week or €945 per year

Assuming you had a petrol car averaging 6l/100km, you'd spend €24.30 in fuel assuming €1.35 per litre

Now, if you're talking about a 300km road trip per week and whether any of the We Charge plans make sense specifically for Ionity charging then the costs are below

We Charge|Free|Go|Plus|ESB eCars|PAYG|Paid
    |||||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3||0.37|0.33
    Monthly fee|0|7.49|17.49||0|4.6
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49||0|0.04
    ||||||
    Break even kWh per year|0|374.5|428.3265306||0|1380
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|22.5|||||
    Break even km per year|0|1664|1903.673469||0|6133
    ||||||
    Annual DC driving (km)|15000|||||
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|3375|||||
    Annual charging cost (€)|2666.25|1856.25|1012.5||1248.75|1113.75
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|89.88|209.88||0|55.2
    ||||||
    Total Annual cost (€)|2666.25|1946.13|1222.38||1248.75|1168.95

So in the case of a 300km trip every week, the We Charge Plus plan works out at a saving for Ionity. However the ESB eCars pricing is still cheapest with the subscription, but only works for ESB chargers

liamog wrote: »
    Wasn't that a special perk for the 1st editions?

That's what I thought but it seems to have quietly disappeared from any of the brochures

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

Hey
    The car I have is a 77 kw car so from flat to 100% (They recommend 80%) would be the kw of the car * the cost per kw at the charge station + if they add any extra to the charge.
    I'm still very new to the full Ev scene so others can comment.

But for a full charge then my car would cost me 60 euro to charge at one of those stations or is that right?

I charge with the ESB chargers on Tues and the cost was as follows:
    Duration 00:23:41
    energy consumed 18.870.
    Cost €5.76
    So that is around 30 cent per KW.

Thanks very much.

eagerv wrote: »
    With my ID.3 it was a three year service plan, which included free tyres. Was included free as a first mover option.

Only problem is getting a bit of wear to avail of the free tyres, lockdown now being leaked into July:(

Yeah, that's pretty annoying, but even after 2 years of driving you wouldn't be far wrong to replace a set of premium tyres.
    omgapuppy wrote: »
    Don't they tie it to the length of the PCP, bumping it up to €648? Still decent value as long as the replacement tyres are to factory spec.

Fair enough, 3 years for €648 is still pretty good if they're decent enough tyres and you get the other servicing included.

Back from my test drive, and while the car itself is very nice and refined, a few things kinda frustrated me. I'm sure they're just things one would have to learn how to change, but here goes:
    - Couldn't get the air con on. I've been told you need to "turn on" the AC before you can control it, which goes against every air con system i've used for the last 15 years or so. Maybe software can change that.
    - Auto hold - I wanted it off, but couldn't find it in the menus.
    - The infotainment system was somewhat intuitive, but I did find myself looking at it wondering "where is X, Y or Z"
    - From resting my arm on the door armrest, I later ended up controlling the rear windows :rolleyes:
    - As mentioned, pity about the center console storage. There's room there, but without a side bumper or a grippy mat things will just slide about.
    - Lane keep didn't inspire me (assuming it was on)
    - Rear camera is warped something funky. It's quite fisheyed, but it does the job.

Overall though. Nice car, decent pep in it. Great space inside for everyone, and a generous boot. The consumption on it for it's few hundred km was ~22kWh/100km. I was conscious of reviews saying it's quiet in the cabin, so I did pay attention to it, but it did seem refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Back from my test drive, and while the car itself is very nice and refined, a few things kinda frustrated me. I'm sure they're just things one would have to learn how to change, but here goes:
    - Couldn't get the air con on. I've been told you need to "turn on" the AC before you can control it, which goes against every air con system i've used for the last 15 years or so. Maybe software can change that.
    - Auto hold - I wanted it off, but couldn't find it in the menus.
    - The infotainment system was somewhat intuitive, but I did find myself looking at it wondering "where is X, Y or Z"
    - From resting my arm on the door armrest, I later ended up controlling the rear windows :rolleyes:
    - As mentioned, pity about the center console storage. There's room there, but without a side bumper or a grippy mat things will just slide about.
    - Lane keep didn't inspire me (assuming it was on)
    - Rear camera is warped something funky. It's quite fisheyed, but it does the job.

Overall though. Nice car, decent pep in it. Great space inside for everyone, and a generous boot. The consumption on it for it's few hundred km was ~22kWh/100km. I was conscious of reviews saying it's quiet in the cabin, so I did pay attention to it, but it did seem refined.

There's a setting in the car to have Air Con come on when you unlock the car. This may have been disabled on the one you drove. I couldn't get the Air Con on when I test drove the ID3, dealer showed me when I got back though :pac:

Auto Hold is in the Driver Assist tab I think. You can add a quick toggle to the home screen though. Pull down from the top of the screen, hold down one of the four icons and then pick auto hold from the options.

You can set the screen up with different layouts and "widgets" to show what you'll use the most. I agree it can be hard to find what you're looking for initially though.

Not sure how you let the back window down as you'd still have to pull the switch. There's a touch button just above the switches that flips between back and front windows. If you double tap the touch button you can control all four windows at once.

I bet someone will sell a third party insert for the center console. I see you can get one for the Model 3 now.

Not sure about LKS or the camera.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The consumption on it for it's few hundred km was ~22kWh/100km..

Ouch, probably short runs but still, ouch!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

slave1 wrote: »
    Ouch, probably short runs but still, ouch!

And people not used to driving an electric and bet there was a fair few flooring it to test the acceleration. If Mad Lad was there earlier then that definitely affected the usage, he's always diving in 0-100km sprints ;)

Advertisement