Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

slave1 wrote: »
    Ouch, probably short runs but still, ouch!

Sounds about right, it's a pretty chunky car

Still gives 350km range

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

TitianGerm wrote: »
    And people not used to driving an electric and bet there was a fair few flooring it to test the acceleration. If Mad Lad was there earlier then that definitely affected the usage, he's always diving in 0-100km sprints ;)

I didn't shy away from the play pedal anyways. It'd all be short runs for sure, stop start stuff. Sure half my test drive was sitting in traffic. I foolishly didn't reset the consumption before my drive. Similar driving/location in my Ioniq is around 17kWh/100km so there's some reference for ya.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's a setting in the car to have Air Con come on when you unlock the car. This may have been disabled on the one you drove. I couldn't get the Air Con on when I test drove the ID3, dealer showed me when I got back though :pac:

Auto Hold is in the Driver Assist tab I think. You can add a quick toggle to the home screen though. Pull down from the top of the screen, hold down one of the four icons and then pick auto hold from the options.

You can set the screen up with different layouts and "widgets" to show what you'll use the most. I agree it can be hard to find what you're looking for initially though.

Not sure how you let the back window down as you'd still have to pull the switch. There's a touch button just above the switches that flips between back and front windows. If you double tap the touch button you can control all four windows at once.

I bet someone will sell a third party insert for the center console. I see you can get one for the Model 3 now.

Not sure about LKS or the camera.

Oh I accidentally switched to the rear windows and when I went to open my driver's side window the back one opened.

Thanks for all the info though. Very helpful

IMG-20210319-145328.jpg

Wasn't the worst place to be this afternoon. Forgot to mention, seats seem very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Back from my test drive, and while the car itself is very nice and refined, a few things kinda frustrated me. I'm sure they're just things one would have to learn how to change, but here goes:
    - Couldn't get the air con on. I've been told you need to "turn on" the AC before you can control it, which goes against every air con system i've used for the last 15 years or so. Maybe software can change that.
    - Auto hold - I wanted it off, but couldn't find it in the menus.
    - The infotainment system was somewhat intuitive, but I did find myself looking at it wondering "where is X, Y or Z"
    - From resting my arm on the door armrest, I later ended up controlling the rear windows :rolleyes:
    - As mentioned, pity about the center console storage. There's room there, but without a side bumper or a grippy mat things will just slide about.
    - Lane keep didn't inspire me (assuming it was on)
    - Rear camera is warped something funky. It's quite fisheyed, but it does the job.

Overall though. Nice car, decent pep in it. Great space inside for everyone, and a generous boot. The consumption on it for it's few hundred km was ~22kWh/100km. I was conscious of reviews saying it's quiet in the cabin, so I did pay attention to it, but it did seem refined.

Air con in ours is on by default when you get in but I think it can be turned off from the clima menu. Auto hold can be turned on/off from the car view, it's one of the exterior options. I found lane keep assist decent but not as good as the Ioniq we had. Rear camera is very extreme but just took a bit of getting used to. On the drive from the West to Dublin I averaged around 18kWh/100km and average speed was 80kph. On motorway consumption was fairly high so at 120 I wouldn't be surprised at 22kWh/100km for all motorway driving.

It's a very easy car to drive and the range is great, interior is very spacious and comfortable. If I had the extra to spend I think the max would be an amazing car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Also had a test drive today, was very impressed. My wife has a Tiguan and that's what we would be trading in, from driving a Tesla myself for the last year, I really hated driving the Tiguan again, one peddle driving is just the best way to drive!!

The car is pretty quick from 0-50, from 90-120 is slow enough but would be quicker than the Tiguan for sure. Very refined, feels very heavy and solid which I don't have any issues with.

The passenger door didn't close very well, needs a good push to close. If you didn't push it hard enough and only half closed then you couldn't just reopen it again. You had to push it in hard to close it and then it would reopen again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Prince10r

Test drove the ID4 1st edition today. Didn't seem to have wireless charging or a raised floor in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

New EV car arriving in the next few weeks. I will be charging 50-60% at home but will have some 200-300km trips between 2-6 times per month on average. Half of these will be overnight stays where I can use a charger near a hotel.

I am a newbie when it comes to EV and charging.

Are most EV chargers operated by ESB?
    Should I get ESB card? Guest or membership. What is break even user amount?

Does ESB charge exact amount for use or is it overcharge and leave you in credit? Does it take long to get card?

Are there stations I can just pay with credit card?
    Should I get another charging card from another supplier?

Where are fast charger stations on M4, M7 & M8?

It is not a Tesla car.

• Advertisement

Prince10r wrote: »
    Test drove the ID4 1st edition today. Didn't seem to have wireless charging or a raised floor in the boot.

The max has wireless charging. I'd expect some aftermarket addition at some stage.

Same with the boot I seen. Odd

Summer8181 wrote: »
    New EV car arriving in the next few weeks. I will be charging 50-60% at home but will have some 200-300km trips between 2-6 times per month on average. Half of these will be overnight stays where I can use a charger near a hotel.

I am a newbie when it comes to EV and charging.

Are most EV chargers operated by ESB?
    Should I get ESB card? Guest or membership. What is break even user amount?

Does ESB charge exact amount for use or is it overcharge and leave you in credit? Does it take long to get card?

Are there stations I can just pay with credit card?
    Should I get another charging card from another supplier?

Where are fast charger stations on M4, M7 & M8?

It is not a Tesla car.

Most are operated by ESB. Get the card. Most likely, don't get membership, you'd need high usage to warrant it.

The card works on credit. €20 to begin with and topped up when below a value. Takes a week or so to get last I heard.

Credit card charging doesn't exist yet. easyGo are supposedly adding it to newer chargers they're installing but nothing yet. Speaking of which, easygo app could be worth downloading. You can order a fob for €5-10 I think. Ionity is the last mainstream charger in Ireland, though their rates are quite high at 80c/kWh (the chargepoint app can be used to get 64c/kWh on ionity for now - they too act on a credit system)

M8 - cashel (includes 4 ionity stations), urlingford, ballacolla, portlaoise (includes a 150kW unit which I think is running at full power now), Mayfield (which is due to have a 4 unit hub by June)

M7 - Barack Obama plaza, birdhill (applegreen operate one for free here, so always double check plugshare to see if it's working - free generally means abused and liable to break)

M4 - lucan (busiest paid charger in Ireland), Enfield, kinnegad (easy go operated), Mullingar park hotel (easy go), edgeworthstown (easygo), Longford, carraic-on-shannon (2 units including 1 150kW unit), Sligo.

Prince10r wrote: »

They're both on the Max

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

I assume you mean you'll be doing 100% of your driving using public chargers? Or would you be doing a 300km road trip every week?

The charging costs are really dictated by the availibility of chargers around you. If you're using public charging for all your driving, then you'll probably be looking at public AC points near where you live or work. They range from free (in Lidl) to 27c/kWh at ESB chargers

300km per week at say 22kWh/100km average gives 66kWh of energy used. Round up to 70kWh to account for any charging losses

At 27c/kWh this works out at €18.90 per week or €945 per year

Assuming you had a petrol car averaging 6l/100km, you'd spend €24.30 in fuel assuming €1.35 per litre

Now, if you're talking about a 300km road trip per week and whether any of the We Charge plans make sense specifically for Ionity charging then the costs are below

We Charge|Free|Go|Plus|ESB eCars|PAYG|Paid
    |||||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3||0.37|0.33
    Monthly fee|0|7.49|17.49||0|4.6
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49||0|0.04
    ||||||
    Break even kWh per year|0|374.5|428.3265306||0|1380
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|22.5|||||
    Break even km per year|0|1664|1903.673469||0|6133
    ||||||
    Annual DC driving (km)|15000|||||
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|3375|||||
    Annual charging cost (€)|2666.25|1856.25|1012.5||1248.75|1113.75
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|89.88|209.88||0|55.2
    ||||||
    Total Annual cost (€)|2666.25|1946.13|1222.38||1248.75|1168.95

So in the case of a 300km trip every week, the We Charge Plus plan works out at a saving for Ionity. However the ESB eCars pricing is still cheapest with the subscription, but only works for ESB chargers
    Thanks for that Cruisey,
    Very helpful, looking at 300km as the weekly average around town. Our usual furthest drive would be in the 350km round trip range so ID 4 looks like the perfect fit.
    Problem we have is that there is civil works needed to put in a private charger (no driveway) and that a stand alone post style charger is looking like it will be expensive even with a grant!
    Also, do private chargers have a lock system or can anyone just pull in and hook up??
    Thanks.

Thanks for that Cruisey,
    Very helpful, looking at 300km as the weekly average around town. Our usual furthest drive would be in the 350km round trip range so ID 4 looks like the perfect fit.
    Problem we have is that there is civil works needed to put in a private charger (no driveway) and that a stand alone post style charger is looking like it will be expensive even with a grant!
    Also, do private chargers have a lock system or can anyone just pull in and hook up??
    Thanks.

Ah I see what you mean now. I'd recommend looking around your town to see if there are any AC chargers available. The ID.4 can charge at up to 11kW if you plug it into one of the ESB AC chargers, so that'll fill the battery in about 7 hours. However if there's a charger near your home or work then you can just leave it plugged in for a couple of hours every couple of days then collect the car

I'd recommend looking at plugshare for chargers since ESB only show their own and not other networks
    https://www.plugshare.com/en

Regarding getting a home charger, I don't think you're eligible for the grant as you need to have your own driveway AFAIK. I'd be clear about this to any installers you speak to, a lot of the fixed price deals are based around you being grant eligible

There are chargers out there that can be keyed with an RFID reader to stop people from just plugging in. It'll add expense obviously so you'll need to balance that against the prices of public charging.

You could always install a credit card reader and start making some money off of the charger :)

Most are operated by ESB. Get the card. Most likely, don't get membership, you'd need high usage to warrant it.

The card works on credit. €20 to begin with and topped up when below a value. Takes a week or so to get last I heard.

Credit card charging doesn't exist yet. easyGo are supposedly adding it to newer chargers they're installing but nothing yet. Speaking of which, easygo app could be worth downloading. You can order a fob for €5-10 I think. Ionity is the last mainstream charger in Ireland, though their rates are quite high at 80c/kWh (the chargepoint app can be used to get 64c/kWh on ionity for now - they too act on a credit system)

M8 - cashel (includes 4 ionity stations), urlingford, ballacolla, portlaoise (includes a 150kW unit which I think is running at full power now), Mayfield (which is due to have a 4 unit hub by June)

M7 - Barack Obama plaza, birdhill (applegreen operate one for free here, so always double check plugshare to see if it's working - free generally means abused and liable to break)

M4 - lucan (busiest paid charger in Ireland), Enfield, kinnegad (easy go operated), Mullingar park hotel (easy go), edgeworthstown (easygo), Longford, carraic-on-shannon (2 units including 1 150kW unit), Sligo.

Thanks, that's excellent information. The ESB is €20 when €20 credit on it. Is that correct?
    I'll look into easygo app and see where the stations are. What does the fob do or enable you to do.

Ionity will be used as 30 minute breaks is what I'm used to. 64c is steep but for 30 minutes, it would be worth it and I'd probably make it home from there.

What chargers are in Loughrea Plaza? It's a handy place to pull into for a break.

I was watching some of the VW Power day and was interested by the V2G capabilities they're saying all ID cars will have from 2022

I was hoping VW would follow Hyundai and install an inverter in the car to provide a 230V AC plug on board. Unfortunately when they demoed the V2G Wallbox it has a CCS plug, which would indicate the car provides DC power and the wall box converts it to AC

Fingers crossed VW realise this is a mistake and they're missing a huge opportunity here. The Enyaq has a 3 pin plug (only 150W or so :()so hopefully it's something they'll add soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

I like the way your thinking - credit card reader lol. Will check out regarding the grant which is good to know as I thought it was just linked to the MRPN number.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I picked up my ID.4 yesterday. I want to get a tag for the motorway tolls but eflow doesn't seem to have ID.4 on their system yet. My insurance (123.ie) didn't have the car listed either.
    I'm quite enjoying the car so far.

Just had a look at the chargepoint app. So many chargers are in use. EV car sales are due to take off this year. I'm concerned that I'll be queueing for hours.

What are the plans for more stations this year? Especially on the motorways.

• Advertisement

Chademo charger. Can you charge ID4 here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Chademo charger. Can you charge ID4 here?

Nope. You’d need a CCS fast charger or regular type 2 slow one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just collecting my ID3 from its 2.1 update and I saw they had an ID4 parked next to an ID3 (next to a GTE) in the car park.

Took a few pics.
    j1DzcWt.jpg
    lhwb5OU.jpg
    3VfJEzz.jpg
    5Rjam3V.jpg

I liked the blue also the seats inside look nice. The wheels on it were lovely too. Similar to the ones on my ID3.
    Doesn't look right at the front though, its like a car with a massive colour coded bumper all the way around the bottom.
    Also the back it's the same. It's like a nice looking car that was put on stilts.
    Size wise it's only slightly taller than the ID3, was surprised. Length was hard to tell as they were parked at the back and front of their spots.

I think if you need the extra boot space, or have a dog, then go for an id4. If you've 2+2 then the ID3 is more than enough. Like leg room in the back of the id3 is good enough for adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PaulRyan97

How many ID4s have been brought into the country? Just yesterday the brother saw two car transporters full of them in Cork City, I myself saw another two over the past week.

Every Volkswagen dealer in the country has been posting pictures of their deliveries on social media.

There's only like 10 advertised on Carzone that are actually in the country so are the rest all for customers?

Just collected my manganese grey 1st. Had a drive on some country roads and it handles very well, much better then I expected.
    Having problems connecting to the WE connect app but will hopefully sort it out later.
    Lane assist is something I'm not used to so seems strange at first.

The size is deceptive, much more space inside then you expect, no complaints from the kids in the back!

Very happy so far.

PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    How many ID4s have been brought into the country? Just yesterday the brother saw two car transporters full of them in Cork City, I myself saw another two over the past week.

Every Volkswagen dealer in the country has been posting pictures of their deliveries on social media.

There's only like 10 advertised on Carzone that are actually in the country so are the rest all for customers?

Dealer told me they don't advertise them online because other dealers would poach them from them

Dealer told me they don't advertise them online because other dealers would poach them from them

There certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of demand, next months car sales should look pretty interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

cannco253 wrote: »
    Just collected my manganese grey 1st. Had a drive on some country roads and it handles very well, much better then I expected.
    Having problems connecting to the WE connect app but will hopefully sort it out later.

The size is deceptive, much more space inside then you expect, no complaints from the kids in the back!

Very happy so far.

I was the same with we connect at first. Restarted the car and moved somewhere else and was able to connect.

I was the same with we connect at first. Restarted the car and moved somewhere else and was able to connect.

My mum had similar issues when she picked up her ID.3. I think the signal can be quite bad at some of the dealerships and they probably have a lot of new cars being registered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

cannco253 wrote: »

Very happy so far.

Congrats, when did you order it?

Advertisement