Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Article about ID.4 charging speed

https://insideevs.com/news/495561/volkswagen-id4-dc-fast-charging-consistency-amazes/

One of the interesting parts of the article is that none of the 3 tests showed any sign of cold gating, even though at least one was carried out in freezing temperatures

This is contrary to some of the cold gating issues reported on the ID.3. One reviewer noted that the car will always try to keep the battery at 25C, which is different to the ID.3 which allowed the battery to cool down after pre heating

I wonder did VW make a change in the newer software to fix the cold gating issues

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

After a few days with the car I've no major complaints, wireless Android auto works great and is very convenient. Generally don't take the phone out of my pocket. The built in navigation is pretty good and it's convenient to be able to send destinations from the app to the car. Preheating through the app is easy too but it would be good to have more options on that.

The lane keep system seems pretty crap which is a bit disappointing, I wonder if it'll improve with software but I won't hold my breath! There is loads of space and the boot is great with the kids. I really like the interior and no issue with controls, the centre console can be slow when the car first starts up though.

The car looks really well in blue and the wheels are huge, lots of interested neighbours too so I'd say VW could be onto a winner. It feels much faster than the Ioniq in terms of acceleration, the ride can be a bit firm over speed bumps but great on more open roads.

I think cruisey1987 will be very happy with the Max, some of the extras would be great to have!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

After a few days with the car I've no major complaints, wireless Android auto works great and is very convenient. Generally don't take the phone out of my pocket. The built in navigation is pretty good and it's convenient to be able to send destinations from the app to the car. Preheating through the app is easy too but it would be good to have more options on that.

The lane keep system seems pretty crap which is a bit disappointing, I wonder if it'll improve with software but I won't hold my breath! There is loads of space and the boot is great with the kids. I really like the interior and no issue with controls, the centre console can be slow when the car first starts up though.

The car looks really well in blue and the wheels are huge, lots of interested neighbours too so I'd say VW could be onto a winner. It feels much faster than the Ioniq in terms of acceleration, the ride can be a bit firm over speed bumps but great on more open roads.

I think cruisey1987 will be very happy with the Max, some of the extras would be great to have!

Can it preheat without being plugged in?

What features does the app provide?

Can it preheat without being plugged in?

What features does the app provide?

It's fairly simple, let's you air condition the car, remotely start or stop charging (and set charge level), set departure times and then send navigation destinations to the car.

It doesn't need to be plugged in for pre conditioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

dave oc wrote: »
    Congrats, when did you order it?

I ordered on March 9th, had the choice of the blue or grey. The grey is much darker then you think when you see it.

Has anyone been able to get the internet radio working? Keeps telling me the function is unavailable.

Also had a notification of a software update which surprised me, guess it's the OTA working already - did anyone else get these? Notes said it was changes to the electronic owner manual and some small error fixes but no more details.

Connected to the app eventually, the car colour in the app shows yellow, not sure why that is?

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    I ordered on March 9th, had the choice of the blue or grey. The grey is much darker then you think when you see it.

Has anyone been able to get the internet radio working? Keeps telling me the function is unavailable.

Also had a notification of a software update which surprised me, guess it's the OTA working already - did anyone else get these? Notes said it was changes to the electronic owner manual and some small error fixes but no more details.

Connected to the app eventually, the car colour in the app shows yellow, not sure why that is?

That's all the same for me, I think internet radio might be a service you post extra for but I'm not certain. Not sure why car is yellow in the app but it's the same for me and ours is blue...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

That’s very quick delivery! Any idea how it was in so quick? I ordered mine at the start of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

That’s very quick. Ordered a grey one myself in December. Was told it’s after arriving in the country last week, with hopes of collection some time next week if there’s no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Congrats to new owners!

Anyone care to share the software version?

Congrats to new owners!

Anyone care to share the software version?

Pretty sure it's 0792 but will double check later.

• Advertisement

yep 0792

One thing I've noticed is that the ID cockpit (the small screen attached to the steering wheel) doesn't show the battery percentage until the charge level drops to less than 10%. Is there any way to have this permanently displayed without having to go into the vehicle menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

One thing I've noticed is that the ID cockpit (the small screen attached to the steering wheel) doesn't show the battery percentage until the charge level drops to less than 10%. Is there any way to have this permanently displayed without having to go into the vehicle menu?

Nope that's the way it is. It'll go yellow at 20% and then red at 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Can I charge ID4 with Mennekes combo near Shannon airport ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Does anyone know what are the "Reduced tariffs for ID.4 1st customers" as per the ID4 sales brochure ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That's all the same for me, I think internet radio might be a service you post extra for but I'm not certain. Not sure why car is yellow in the app but it's the same for me and ours is blue...

Internet radio not working yet but will come via an update.

Got the internet radio working last night by creating a hotspot on my phone and connecting the ID.4 wifi to it.
    Works well, all the usual options for internet radio are there.

I suppose you could always stream the radio off the phone using Car Play anyway, but good to see that the ID.4 option works.

Does anyone have any experience of the Cubic Telecom packages on offer, how reliable is the internet from them?

Got the internet radio working last night by creating a hotspot on my phone and connecting the ID.4 wifi to it.

I suppose you could always stream the radio off the phone using Car Play anyway, but good to see that the ID.4 option works.

Does anyone have any experience of the Cubic Telecom packages on offer, how reliable is the internet from them?

I saw some chatter in the id3 thread so they might know better as I think the first movers got a free package.

Are the radio stations determined by region? If so, can you change region and does it work?

I listened to US radio a few years back and it is truly bonkers, the radio hosts spent the whole time ringing up guys who were cheating on their wives and yelling at them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ya? Sales guy told me it was not working. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Picking up car tomorrow. I'll let you know my feedback later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jayjayokacha1

Hopefully picking up my 1st id4 this week. Have gone with a pulsar plus charger. First time ev purchase and user. Any tips etc, like do you need to go easy for first 100km like an ICE car to break it in so to speak. Also just wondering did anyone go with the vw service pack. Think it's 18 per month I know its sold as a commission add on for sales guy etc, but realisticly in the 3 years lifespan of pcp will it need much servicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hopefully picking up my 1st id4 this week. Have gone with a pulsar plus charger. First time ev purchase and user. Any tips etc, like do you need to go easy for first 100km like an ICE car to break it in so to speak. Also just wondering did anyone go with the vw service pack. Think it's 18 per month I know its sold as a commission add on for sales guy etc, but realisticly in the 3 years lifespan of pcp will it need much servicing.

Needs to be serviced after two years. Check and see if the service plan includes new tyres though which may make it ok price wise. If it doesn't I wouldn't bother.

I'd go easy for the first bit just to get used to the accelerator. EVs are much quicker off the line than ICE vehicles and it can take people by surprise

Other than that, not much that you won't figure out quickly. Here's a few pointers

- Range depends largely on how you drive, if you can back off the speed slightly on motorways and try gentler acceleration it'll help a lot

- Heated seats are more efficient at keeping you warm than air conditioning

- Fastest way to use a fast charger is to get the battery low and only take what you need. Generally the charging slows down a lot after 80% so move on if you can before that point

For servicing, I felt the service packs were a bit of a rip off considering the car only needs servicing every 2 years. Servicing on an EV is largely an inspection, there are no consumables that require annual changing

The highest service pack is probably the best since it contains a set of new tyres. However if you're even a little bit conservative with your driving then you'll likely get 4 years or more out of a set of tyres

I didn't realise the service was every 2 years, I thought I saw something say 15k km. Every 2 years is great!

Loving the case but wish I could take it for a proper spin!

I didn't realise the service was every 2 years, I thought I saw something say 15k km. Every 2 years is great!

Loving the case but wish I could take it for a proper spin!

Check the manual for the proper intervals but VW have been constantly saying the car only needs servicing every 2 years

Like I said the service on an EV is really more of an inspection. There are examples of Nissan Leafs that have never had anything more complex done to them than a brake fluid change

There's no oil, oil filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, exhaust particulate filter or bits like that to go wrong

The electric drivetrain does break sometimes, don't get me wrong, but I don't think there's many faults that EVs have had which would be spotted by servicing. If and when they break it tends to be down to some sudden failure or external damage

Check the manual for the proper intervals but VW have been constantly saying the car only needs servicing every 2 years

Like I said the service on an EV is really more of an inspection. There are examples of Nissan Leafs that have never had anything more complex done to them than a brake fluid change

There's no oil, oil filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, exhaust particulate filter or bits like that to go wrong

The electric drivetrain does break sometimes, don't get me wrong, but I don't think there's many faults that EVs have had which would be spotted by servicing. If and when they break it tends to be down to some sudden failure or external damage

Just spotted the 2 years service intervals in the car, that's great, the Ioniq was every year for them to do nothing!

I had some fun earlier trying to get the charging cable to disconnect from my car.

I had it plugged into my zappi and was playing around with the charging timer in the car to test it out. I was trying to use the preferred time setting for a short 15 minute charge, it started on time but did not seem to end so I must have done something wrong.

Zappi turned blue which I haven't seen before, indicating charge complete but only after I'd manually stopped the charge in the car menu. Cable would not disconnect from the car and it took me a few minutes to realise I had to fully unlock the car with the key fob for it to release.....at least it happened on my own driveway.....

I still think in Leaf terms about charging the car and keep looking for the physical buttons it has to lock/unlock the cable and timer override. The ID.4 system does not have these available on a high level menu, you need to dig a bit deeper into the options - hopefully they make things a bit easier in the future.

I had some fun earlier trying to get the charging cable to disconnect from my car.

I had it plugged into my zappi and was playing around with the charging timer in the car to test it out. I was trying to use the preferred time setting for a short 15 minute charge, it started on time but did not seem to end so I must have done something wrong.

Zappi turned blue which I haven't seen before, indicating charge complete but only after I'd manually stopped the charge in the car menu. Cable would not disconnect from the car and it took me a few minutes to realise I had to fully unlock the car with the key fob for it to release.....at least it happened on my own driveway.....

I still think in Leaf terms about charging the car and keep looking for the physical buttons it has to lock/unlock the cable and timer override. The ID.4 system does not have these available on a high level menu, you need to dig a bit deeper into the options - hopefully they make things a bit easier in the future.

AFAIK there's a bit of a glitch between the Zappi and the ID cars. If the Zappi provides a charging session shorter than 30 mins or so then the car will go into some sort of deep sleep mode and won't get woken up again by the charger

If I remember correctly, the unlock button on the fob will release the cable lock. There's also an emergency release in the boot, it's a little string with a loop behind a panel on the right hand side

There's also a looped cable in that slot with a label on it, don't pull that, it's the fuse for the HV battery system and if you break it your car won't work

• Advertisement

Just spotted the 2 years service intervals in the car, that's great, the Ioniq was every year for them to do nothing!

Yeah I'd say you'll still get the push from the dealer for annual servicing. It's one of their main income sources after all :rolleyes:

Advertisement