Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

AFAIK there's a bit of a glitch between the Zappi and the ID cars. If the Zappi provides a charging session shorter than 30 mins or so then the car will go into some sort of deep sleep mode and won't get woken up again by the charger

If I remember correctly, the unlock button on the fob will release the cable lock. There's also an emergency release in the boot, it's a little string with a loop behind a panel on the right hand side

There's also a looped cable in that slot with a label on it, don't pull that, it's the fuse for the HV battery system and if you break it your car won't work

I read about the Zappi issues, but think it's only related to Eco mode and should be sorted. I don't have the hub so can't update the firmware atm which might be causing a problem. Do the VW wall chargers come with built in wifi to allow for updates?

Yes, key fob unlocks the cable only for AC charging, I think this should be made a lot clearer for users to save any teething problems new drivers might have at a charger. I saw a video about the emergency unlock in the boot, good to know but won't be going near it in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

cannco253 wrote: »
    Do the VW wall chargers come with built in wifi to allow for updates?

The mid and top level ones have WiFi but not sure if they allow updates

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads
    How did ye connect the Android phone wirelessly to the infotainment?
    I have andoid auto and it works via the cable, but I can't seem to get the phone to connect to the vw *** wireless point as I have no password.
    I'm connected via bluetooth but it doesn't let me use the infotainment system to control the maps, spotify etc like it does when its connected via USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

yop wrote: »
    Lads
    I have andoid auto and it works via the cable, but I can't seem to get the phone to connect to the vw *** wireless point as I have no password.
    I'm connected via bluetooth but it doesn't let me use the infotainment system to control the maps, spotify etc like it does when its connected via USB.

I think when you connect via Bluetooth there's an option for hands free or audio and it's one of them you can change. Can't remember which. But it should pop up on the phone about Android auto when you do t.

Did anyone's come with a first aid kit?

I thought the triangle was provided for mainland Europe only but that the first aid kit would be supplied here?

I did get a decent cleaning kit I'll have to take a look at shortly.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Lads

Do you have the right version of phone and android? Only the latest models support it AFAIK

This guy did a fairly good summary
    https://youtu.be/f1oRu6yd9hc

I thought the triangle was provided for mainland Europe only but that the first aid kit would be supplied here?

No first aid kit or triangle, I assume there's a tyre kit somewhere. The Channing kit is pretty decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you lift up the carpet in the boot is there a small cubby hole with it in it? I found a little red bag in there in my ID3 but didn't actually open it.

No first aid kit or triangle, I assume there's a tyre kit somewhere. The Channing kit is pretty decent!

Is it on the inside of the boot lid, below the back window? I have a vague memory of seeing it there in a review

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Picked up ID4 today. Very impressed. Big car and handles well. Looking forward to a few long trips in the coming days.

• Advertisement

Has anyone created 2 separate accounts on the WE connect app for 2 drivers, or can you only have one account linked to the car?

I've set it up on my phone and am just wondering what to do for the second phone? I can log in on the second phone using the existing details, but it would be better to have 2 accounts if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Picked up ID4 today. Very impressed. Big car and handles well. Looking forward to a few long trips in the coming days.

Congrats! Still no sign of our ID4 arriving... some point in April it seems... ho-hum...

Has anyone looked at one of these mobile chargers for when you are nowhere near a proper charging point:

https://www.mister-ev.com/maxicharger-mobile-charging-station/

Was considering one of them for when I visit my folks in Clare or friends living in the middle of nowhere near Bantry Bay... whenever things open up that is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

gear_ie wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at one of these mobile chargers for when you are nowhere near a proper charging point:

https://www.mister-ev.com/maxicharger-mobile-charging-station/

Was considering one of them for when I visit my folks in Clare or friends living in the middle of nowhere near Bantry Bay... whenever things open up that is ;)

I doubt your folks have 3 phase 32A in Clare or you friends in Bantry so you'd be charging at 1 phase 13A(16?) so 2.9-3.7kW max.
    Just use the granny charger that comes with the car and don't waste your money.

lafors wrote: »
    I doubt your folks have 3 phase 32A in Clare or you friends in Bantry so you'd be charging at 1 phase 13A(16?) so 2.9-3.7kW max.

They being farmers, they have 3 phase ;)
    Just use the granny charger that comes with the car and don't waste your money.

Being new to the EV scene, how much range will the Granny charger provide for an ID4 if left plugged in for 8hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Haha sorted :D
    Would you not just put in a permanent charger there?

Being new to the EV scene, how much range will the Granny charger provide for an ID4 if left plugged in for 8hrs.

I could be wrong but I think I remember someone here working it out 10Ax230V=2.3kW without losses. Real world is ~1.9kW iirc so 15.2kWh into the battery.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

lafors wrote: »
    Haha sorted :D
    Would you not just put in a permanent charger there?

Seems more worth it to my eyes, since at 99% of other locations you may as well use a granny cable. Even a granny cable (unless your parents live on the limits of your range) should be livable.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Mine seems to charge at a rate of 10km/hour on the granny charger.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

8hrs at about 2kW is 16kW (excluding losses). The battery is 82kWh , so that is about 20% added. Km will depend on your driving style, but assuming 400km from 100% that'd be 80km added over 8 hours. Overnight is usually more than 8 hours though.

Overnight is usually more than 8 hours though.

That's true :D

• Advertisement

Seems more worth it to my eyes, since at 99% of other locations you may as well use a granny cable. Even a granny cable (unless your parents live on the limits of your range) should be livable.

Yeah cheapest option is €690, I'd say if you got a Qubev charger and knew a local sparks you could get it installed for less than that

And if you have any bills in your name at your parents house you could claim the SEAI grant

That's true :D

If I was doing Dublin-Bantry-Dublin it'd normally be 3 fast charges. Ionity each way and a top up outside Bantry on the way back

Charging on the granny lead for 12 hours removes that 3rd top up outside Bantry and it's down to a 20 mins stop in Ionity Cashel each way

It's not brilliant, but that is a 4 hour drive each way so I'd personally want to break it up

Incidentally, if there was a 7kW charger there, the car would be full leaving Bantry. ABRP still says I'd need to stop at Ionity each way (7 mins now) but I feel like a bit of conservative driving would possibly cut out a charging stop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

What EV charger are you's getting for your ID4 and what's the process for getting the grant for it ?

v10 wrote: »
    What EV charger are you's getting for your ID4 and what's the process for getting the grant for it ?

I went with the ID. Charger Connect.

You have to apply directly with SEAI here if your dealer if not applying on your behalf. You will need your MPRN and Electric Vehicle Grant Application ID in order to get the grant approved. You need to pay for everything upfront and then provide proof of installation to get the refund.

Please note that the grant only applies to those with off street parking location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I went with the ID. Charger Connect.

You have to apply directly with SEAI here if your dealer if not applying on your behalf. You will need your MPRN and Electric Vehicle Grant Application ID in order to get the grant approved. You need to pay for everything upfront and then provide proof of installation to get the refund.

Please note that the grant only applies to those with off street parking location.

Thanks for that, I see the ID Charger Connect is €1,549 now (I think it was reduced for a while) including install, seems expensive? I'm considering the EO Mini Pro 2 myself (~€1100), think I would rather unbothered.

Thanks for that, I see the ID Charger Connect is €1,549 now (I think it was reduced for a while) including install, seems expensive? I'm considering the EO Mini Pro 2 myself (~€1100), think I would rather unbothered.

I got it for €822.99 (had to go with the 7.5M cable) without the installation. I'll get a local electrician that will install it cheaper than the €785 that VM/Elli were looking for installation.

I've one of the old ESB untethered chargers but once it kicks the bucket I'll be getting a tethered charger. It can be awkward getting the cable from the boot especially if you tend to have buggys, bikes, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I got it for €822.99 (had to go with the 7.5M cable) without the installation. I'll get a local electrician that will install it cheaper than the €785 that VM/Elli were looking for installation.

You'll need to allow for cabling and extras which in various quotes I received were a couple of hundred

Down South wrote: »
    You'll need to allow for cabling and extras which in various quotes I received were a couple of hundred

I've a fuse box already in the shed that the Charger will be mounted on, so only need to wire it to that (about 3 meter run) and put in a new fuse - all going well anyway... wouldn't expect it to cost more than €200 to fit...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

I've a fuse box already in the shed that the Charger will be mounted on, so only need to wire it to that (about 3 meter run) and put in a new fuse - all going well anyway... wouldn't expect it to cost more than €200 to fit...

Similar to yourself i was hoping to wire it from the fuse box in my garage. However, my electric had a look and doesn't believe the cable from the house to the garage is heavy enough. Best get a survey done as soon as you can so at least you know where you stand

Advertisement