Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

I've one of the old ESB untethered chargers but once it kicks the bucket I'll be getting a tethered charger. It can be awkward getting the cable from the boot especially if you tend to have buggys, bikes, etc

We have the untethered ESB one as well, and just keep the cable plugged in. We have one of those bike locks that kind of attaches the cables to the wall of the house, so that so one can take the cable.

It came in handy, as we decided to get a longer cable so we could charge two EVs without having to swap them in the driveway (not at once, but just do one then the other) and a tethered one wouldn't have helped there. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Can anyone with the car check whether it has an alarm? I know it not supposed to and this was discussed a few days ago, but not sure if it was checked/confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

dave oc wrote: »
    Can anyone with the car check whether it has an alarm? I know it not supposed to and this was discussed a few days ago, but not sure if it was checked/confirmed?

I asked the dealer and they confirmed it doesn't, it has an immobiliser instead and presumably can be tracked via GPS, although the app might not support this yet

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭bf

Any idea how many cars are delivered so far? Talked to dealer, frustratingly despite being on first ship our car is still sitting in Dublin Port

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

How do I charge my phone as car doesn't have charging pad. Well, car actually has charging pad but it is not activated.

Car has usb c ports so what cable do I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Summer8181 wrote: »

Car has usb c ports so what cable do I need?

I'm not sure if you're being serious here?

Get a USB C to whatever connection your phone uses. Most Androids will use USB C so get a USB C to USB C cable.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're being serious here?

Get a USB C to whatever connection your phone uses. Most Androids will use USB C so get a USB C to USB C cable.

Just what I was thinking usb c to usb c cable. Never seen one before. Must check online. Why did they go away from standard usb port?

Is there an usb c to usb adapter as wife and kids have different phones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is there an usb c to usb adapter as wife and kids have different phones

Yes, adapters are available in most electrical/computer shops, also Tescos (I think) and are cheap.

The ID.3 1st came with a multi cable, with both USB and USB-C on the end you stick into car. The other end has connections for Android, Lightning (iPhone) and older phones, cameras etc. It's a bit bulky but has saved me a few times when I forgot other cables for other devices when away from home or at work. The cable flashes when in use.....:)

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    Yes, adapters are available in most electrical/computer shops, also Tescos (I think) and are cheap.

The ID.3 1st came with a multi cable, with both USB and USB-C on the end you stick into car. The other end has connections for Android, Lightning (iPhone) and older phones, cameras etc. It's a bit bulky but has saved me a few times when I forgot other cables for other devices when away from home or at work. The cable flashes when in use.....:)

Didn't see any cables in my ID4. I'll order an adapter

dave oc wrote: »

Don't see any mention in my handbook

My ID connect charger finally came with DHL today. Electrician will fit it some day next week. Granny cable for now. It is so so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Didn't see any cables in my ID4. I'll order an adapter

It was part of the welcome pack for "First Movers" for the ID.3 1st. Along with the socks etc:). I may have mixed up the connectors a bit on my last post, but basically this cable covers almost everything whether in car or not.

I also keep a few adapters in middle storage console for others who don't have USB-C charging cable.

Talk to your friendly VW dealer, they might have a few cables lying around spare..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I posted this in another thread but ID.4 owners, or prospective ID.4 owners, probably missed it.

Kyle likes it :).

Well wear to all the new ID.4 owners!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Went for a test drive yesterday morning.
    The car looks really, really nice and pictures, videos and flyers certainly do not allow proper judgement, not until you see it in flesh.
    The car is way bigger than my e-Soul, an easy foot and a couple of inches longer. The boot is a proper VW boot.
    I had the 1st Edition in black.
    Spent a few minute getting used to the infotainment system and car set up and it helped that I had been in an ID.3. The software is much smoother and responsive. Being a bigger car and the dash being quite stretched, the 2 screens look much smaller than they actually are. The amount of plastic in the interior is more than what I expected but it is not unpleasant. I guess the higher trim cars would have it different.
    Had a chance to go on city and intercity roads. Very smooth and relaxed driving. The car feels like a boat and glides over the speed bumps and potholes. There is no so much of a difference between the three modes of driving. Perhaps it’s the weight of the car that affects it. Still plenty of power and quick acceleration.
    The sound system seemed inferior to the one in the eSoul but not in a bad way. Car Play worked well once phone was connected. Plenty of space in the cabin, lots of pockets for keeping stuff. No wireless phone charging though or at least it did not work for me. Steering wheel and car seats heating is very strong, good they have it set up to be able to select 3 levels of power. Turning on the Clima ate a good chunk of the range, much more than I am used to. Also I’m not used to not seeing the % of battery left on the dash - only GOM range shown. Perhaps, since this car is not really targeting highly tech minded people but more so families, it’s OK and not a deal breaker. The top light at the back is sensor operated, quite simple and effective.
    I did not like the front seat base cushion. Kinda flat and although it’s not too soft of too tough, it is not as comfortable as in the Leaf of the eSoul. The Leaf actually wins between the three.
    Back to the exterior - wheels are beautiful and huge, there will be a good cost involved in replacing them lol...
    Tow hitch - I was told by the dealer if not done while car’s being build it would cost about €1500 to retrofit. Love the front and rear lights.
    Overall I thought it was really impressive vehicle and with all bells and whistles in a high trim line it would be an amazing family car.
    Since I do know a good deal about electrics already there was nothing really else that the dealer had for me so he’s to comeback over the next few days with a trade-in and finance offers.
    Will I go for it - if the digits allow it and the Boss shows at least a bit of interest - the answer is YES.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

declan123 wrote: »
    Similar to yourself i was hoping to wire it from the fuse box in my garage. However, my electric had a look and doesn't believe the cable from the house to the garage is heavy enough. Best get a survey done as soon as you can so at least you know where you stand

Yeah any electrician that I've spoken to has said you need a 6mm T&E (twin and earth) cable and a 32amp fuse... I've an Air to Water Heat Pump off the back of the shed so I'm hoping the current cable to the shed is sufficient... fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yoinks - my new ID4 (well, hopefully) is apparently turning up next week - a month early! Need to get shot of my Leaf - if anyone knows someone after a 40kWh SVE (top spec - fully loaded), send them my way! I'll beat any comparable price on Carzone, and include a two year extended Nissan warranty (so basically, better protection than buying from a dealer). Gun metal grey, cream leather - FSH etc and new tyres all round in December. Based in Cork.

Drove a demo ID4 today. Took a bit of getting used to, and I'm just not a fan of all the capacitive controls - give me proper buttons any day, much safer. Slower than the Leaf, but still decent acceleration - you can feel the two tonnes though! Didn't get to actually examine it thoroughly though as it was lashing rain.

edit: scratch that about the extended warranty - turns out Nissan don't sell an extended warranty for one specific model.....the Leaf! Still though, all the EV specific stuff is warrantied for five years anyway.

Yoinks - my new ID4 (well, hopefully) is apparently turning up next week - a month early! Need to get shot of my Leaf - if anyone knows someone after a 40kWh SVE (top spec - fully loaded), send them my way! I'll beat any comparable price on Carzone, and include a two year extended Nissan warranty (so basically, better protection than buying from a dealer). Gun metal grey, cream leather - FSH etc and new tyres all round in December. Based in Cork.

Drove a demo ID4 today. Took a bit of getting used to, and I'm just not a fan of all the capacitive controls - give me proper buttons any day, much safer. Slower than the Leaf, but still decent acceleration - you can feel the two tonnes though! Didn't get to actually examine it thoroughly though as it was lashing rain.

Happy days, did you get a 1st or 1st Max?

I don't think they've started building mine yet, knowing my luck one of the ships currently backed up in the Suez canal is full of parts for my car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Happy days, did you get a 1st or 1st Max?

I don't think they've started building mine yet, knowing my luck one of the ships currently backed up in the Suez canal is full of parts for my car :(

1st. Not sure what's going on, but I only put a deposit down last week. Seems very quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

edit: scratch that about the extended warranty - turns out Nissan don't sell an extended warranty for one specific model.....the Leaf! Still though, all the EV specific stuff is warrantied for five years anyway.

There was someone on another thread in here looking at a Leaf recently. Can't remember which one mind you but I definitely saw it discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

1st. Not sure what's going on, but I only put a deposit down last week. Seems very quick!

Very quick indeed... I've the Max ordered since December. The order was handed over to VW production on 25/02 but no sign of it being built yet... :(

There's been reports of shortages of computer chips in the car industry, I suspect it might be affecting the Max as it's got the travel assist and more computing power as a result

Also, the Max is probably somewhat in the minority in Ireland so it's probably low priority for VW

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Guessing you got one which someone had ordered, but pulled out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

My ID.4 is available for collecting in the next few days, I ordered in the last few days in Feb. My dealer mentioned there has been confusion in terms of the VAT rate with VW and is now trying to claw back the extra VAT (23% vs. 21%) exposure from me? Anyone else in a similar position?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

declan123 wrote: »
    My ID.4 is available for collecting in the next few days, I ordered in the last few days in Feb. My dealer mentioned there has been confusion in terms of the VAT rate with VW and is now trying to claw back the extra VAT (23% vs. 21%) exposure from me? Anyone else in a similar position?

Invoice is gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I managed to get the ID.4 connected to the free Cubic Telecom 1gb/90 day plan, easy enough to set up using the WE Connect app and a PC.

After you enter your VIN the connection is made in the background to the VW servers, so you don't need to anything or update any settings in the car itself. Internet radio now works without using the phone as a hotspot.

Now if only I could get Netflix streaming, I wonder if this would work?
    https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/apple-carplay-retrofit/apple-carplay-mmb-multimedia-box-upgrade/

cannco253 wrote: »
    I managed to get the ID.4 connected to the free Cubic Telecom 1gb/90 day plan, easy enough to set up using the WE Connect app and a PC.

After you enter your VIN the connection is made in the background to the VW servers, so you don't need to anything or update any settings in the car itself. Internet radio now works without using the phone as a hotspot.

Now if only I could get Netflix streaming, I wonder if this would work?
    https://www.advanced-incar.co.uk/products/apple-carplay-retrofit/apple-carplay-mmb-multimedia-box-upgrade/

It's got wireless Apple carplay already doesn't it? Not really seeing the use of the box

I know you can play videos via the USB port from a flash drive, I wonder can they act as a video input as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Are you able to connect the car to a phone hotspot rather than using Cubic Telecom plans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Wireless Apple Carplay works, but Netflix doesn't work with Carplay so you can't stream it.

Yes, phone hotspot is how I got it working to begin with. I'm wondering how the stable the car wifi will be so wanted to try it out and took the free option.

Advertisement