Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I saw a few of these last week up in Naas. Really impressed with them, the interior colours were a bit meh but the space and boot size was excellent.
    It’s the first EV that we’re going to try and get (next year).

For anyone that has picked it up, what is the realistic miles in a full charge. Will you get the 300?

Sorry if this is asked already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Took delivery yesterday of my id4. Must say its lovely to drive, very nippy. Just wondering does it have a GPS tracker and if so how do I go about using it on app. The sales guy said it has.

The app is poor enough at the moment but should get updates throughout the year. Don't forget to sign up for the 3 month 1gb free trial with cubic telecom.
    The video below shows you all the features of the app, the map shows you the location of the car so kind of like a tracker I suppose.

https://youtu.be/0yUFQYZaSH4

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

[PHP][/PHP]
    I saw a few of these last week up in Naas. Really impressed with them, the interior colours were a bit meh but the space and boot size was excellent.
    It’s the first EV that we’re going to try and get (next year).

For anyone that has picked it up, what is the realistic miles in a full charge. Will you get the 300?

Sorry if this is asked already.

I think 250 is probably realistic but if it's all motorway at 70 it might be a bit less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

[PHP][/PHP]

I think 250 is probably realistic but if it's all motorway at 70 it might be a bit less.

is that 250 miles or Km's?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

deravarra wrote: »
    is that 250 miles or Km's?

Miles, about 400km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Just caught the tail end of Bjorn's livestream trip to the Arctic circle with an ID.4

So far he's managed to average about 198Wh/km at about 89km/h speed. He did say he had some tail wind which would help

Not bad for a car which could best be described as chunky, especially considering this is over mountainous terrain and not the best weather

On track to do the trip in 13.15 hours, only 45 mins slower than the Tesla Model 3 :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Is there any use in the wecharge card?

Certainly doesn't seem to be at the moment.

I wonder why VW didn't put the heated steering wheel icon to the main screen, under the heated seats?
    It's only available in the climate control menu and is still on the left hand side of the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

cannco253 wrote: »
    I wonder why VW didn't put the heated steering wheel icon to the main screen, under the heated seats?
    It's only available in the climate control menu and is still on the left hand side of the screen

Add it as a shortcut on the pull down menu.

That's true, but you'd think if they went to the trouble of moving the home button and heated seats icons to the right that they would have moved the heated steering wheel icon as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That's true, but you'd think if they went to the trouble of moving the home button and heated seats icons to the right that they would have moved the heated steering wheel icon as well

You can program the heated steering wheel to come on when the car starts, temperature dependent. It's in the climate settings up the top right I believe

Just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with vampire drain when the car is left idle for a while?

I saw one guy on YouTube leave the car for nearly 4 days and it only lost 0.4% SoC but he mentioned some other owners were complaining about 3-5% drain per day

I wonder does having the key closer to the car cause it to stay awake and not let it go into sleep mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with vampire drain when the car is left idle for a while?

I saw one guy on YouTube leave the car for nearly 4 days and it only lost 0.4% SoC but he mentioned some other owners were complaining about 3-5% drain per day

I wonder does having the key closer to the car cause it to stay awake and not let it go into sleep mode.

Mine has been sitting for over 24 hours and the battery hasn't changed. I have the key at the opposite of the house but the app seems to be communicating with the car.

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Mine has been sitting for over 24 hours and the battery hasn't changed. I have the key at the opposite of the house but the app seems to be communicating with the car.

Cool, I guess if people obsessively check the app then it might drain the battery a bit, although most of that will be coming from the 12V so at worst you'd be charging the 12V more from the traction battery

Climate control timers also use up some battery if you have them set for every day, I wouldn't be expecting more than 1% per day however

It'd be cool if VW created a 'holiday mode' for when the car will be left for a while. For example it would only run the battery heater or cooling if it got dangerously cold/hot and disable cabin heating

If the car was left plugged in it could prevent charging until the last day. Ideally it would also discharge the battery to 50% if the car is sitting idle for a long time and then top it up the day you're due back

Plus a geofence alert would be great to see if anyone has helped themselves to a trip in your car while you're away

How are id.4 owners finding the infotainment and needing the screen for practically every function ?

I haven't read many great reports about it, I know it's a work in progress.....

How are id.4 owners finding the infotainment and needing the screen for practically every function ?

I haven't read many great reports about it, I know it's a work in progress.....

Haven't got mine yet, but what I'll say is that I wouldn't go by many of the car reviews because they were generally using the older software

Maybe the best one to look at is Chris from Battery Life because he did a fairly in depth comparison of the older and newer software

https://youtu.be/x2Kq8qcVEwU

In general, they've fixed a lot of the initial bugs around slowness and freezing. There's still quite a few bugs though, at least with OTA updates working now they'll be much easier to fix and I believe VW have committed to an update every 3 months

There's a few things which are still just dumb IMO. The volume and temperature sliders don't get much love and they aren't backlit, which seems like a strange choice considering all the other buttons are

The charging speed only in km/h or km/min and the discharge power being in kWh/h is fairly ridiculous. VW have said they won't change this in the short term because they're trying to make the car more relatable to ICE drivers, but hopefully if everyone keeps complaining then we'll get the option of setting the units

Last complaint is the battery capacity only showing as a percentage on the drivers when the SoC is below 10%. Yeah maybe I'm old fashioned but I never fully trust the GOM and I find percentages easier to use. If I'm about halfway there and I've used 60% battery then I'd better start looking for chargers.

None of these are deal breakers, luckily humans are pretty good at working around annoyances in computers. I'm just hoping that VW give the user experience a bit more thought and look at ways it can be made more efficient and intuitive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Add it as a shortcut on the pull down menu.
    You can program the heated steering wheel to come on when the car starts, temperature dependent. It's in the climate settings up the top right I believe

Or they could have popped an ickle teeny weeny button on the wheel :pac:.

What is with this race to emulate Tesla/Apple et al & remove every single practical button & switch from everything?!! :rolleyes:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Or they could have popped an ickle teeny weeny button on the wheel :pac:.

What is with this race to emulate Tesla/Apple et al & remove every single practical button & switch from everything?!! :rolleyes:.

Same reason for everything, cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Same reason for everything, cost :)

I think that's a small consideration these - it's a trend/fashionable & pretty stupid when it comes to cars as it simply distracts from the actual driving itself.

I think a German court took issue with Tesla's forced interaction with a touchscreen, to operate the wipers, but I could be wrong. There was something though.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just bury it somewhere in a submenu, on a touchscreen, an arm's length away, in a car hurtling along an autobahn, at 120km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Because a touchscreen is far, far cheaper than the tooling and installation of expensive buttons, dials and switches.

• Advertisement

I think that's a small consideration these - it's a trend/fashionable & pretty stupid when it comes to cars as it simply distracts from the actual driving itself.

I think a German court took issue with Tesla's forced interaction with a touchscreen, to operate the wipers, but I could be wrong. There was something though.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it, just bury it somewhere in a submenu, on a touchscreen, an arm's length away, in a car hurtling along an autobahn, at 120km/h.

BMW's Idrive system is vastly superior, in my opinion. Touchscreens are there to be cool, modern and attractive but buttons really do make a difference or with the Idrive system, you have a few buttons and a wheel at your fingertips all the time and it's very simple to go between menus and options but luckily there are buttons for climate and simple things like windows are a lot easier to use, I found the window buttons in the id.3 an absolute pain in the ass, a matter of getting used to ? perhaps but I think the infotainment in the id3/4 is a huge embarrassment for VW, there are so many complaints old and newer software but People did sign up to beta software so.

Even if they had just one screen with all the common functions like climate, radio it would make a big difference, rather than flick, press, flick press all while driving, it's mental because every time you have to look at the screen is time eyes are off the road and at 120 Km/hr that's a significant amount of road that has not been seen by the driver and that again, in my opinion, is a huge safety issue one VW engineers have not paid much thought or consideration to except being cool with the big touch screen.

Haven't got mine yet, but what I'll say is that I wouldn't go by many of the car reviews because they were generally using the older software

Maybe the best one to look at is Chris from Battery Life because he did a fairly in depth comparison of the older and newer software

https://youtu.be/x2Kq8qcVEwU

In general, they've fixed a lot of the initial bugs around slowness and freezing. There's still quite a few bugs though, at least with OTA updates working now they'll be much easier to fix and I believe VW have committed to an update every 3 months

There's a few things which are still just dumb IMO. The volume and temperature sliders don't get much love and they aren't backlit, which seems like a strange choice considering all the other buttons are

The charging speed only in km/h or km/min and the discharge power being in kWh/h is fairly ridiculous. VW have said they won't change this in the short term because they're trying to make the car more relatable to ICE drivers, but hopefully if everyone keeps complaining then we'll get the option of setting the units

Last complaint is the battery capacity only showing as a percentage on the drivers when the SoC is below 10%. Yeah maybe I'm old fashioned but I never fully trust the GOM and I find percentages easier to use. If I'm about halfway there and I've used 60% battery then I'd better start looking for chargers.

None of these are deal breakers, luckily humans are pretty good at working around annoyances in computers. I'm just hoping that VW give the user experience a bit more thought and look at ways it can be made more efficient and intuitive

Maybe they will simplify basic functions but I think screens are too distracting in cars, time looking at a screen for functions is a lot of road missed by the driver at speed. In it's current form it's just a mess, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Right at the start of the Neo development (anyone remember that?) VW said that they see everything being controlled by voice. Now, they still have a way to go with that.

I'm interested to see how far they take voice control.

Right at the start of the Neo development (anyone remember that?) VW said that they see everything being controlled by voice. Now, they still have a way to go with that.

I'm interested to see how far they take voice control.

Imagine that with the kids killing each other in the back ? it's just so much easier to press a button. Dialing a phone number is different, the voice commands work really well on my i3 but if the kids were being loud in the back it wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Imagine that with the kids killing each other in the back ? it's just so much easier to press a button. Dialing a phone number is different, the voice commands work really well on my i3 but if the kids were being loud in the back it wouldn't work.

Test drove the ID3 with the kids, before ordering the ID4, and tried out voice control... major fail :) With them singing away in the back seat ID couldn't figure out what I was trying to tell it to do :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

gear_ie wrote: »
    Test drove the ID3 with the kids, before ordering the ID4, and tried out voice control... major fail :) With them singing away in the back seat ID couldn't figure out what I was trying to tell it to do :rolleyes:

HEY ID! I'M AT MY WITS END!

Seat massager comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

HEY ID! I'M AT MY WITS END!

Seat massager comes on

:D

I'll wear out the seat massager in the first month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

My kids discovered that you could pull down the centre backrest for an armrest and do it again to get access to the boot area.

I went in to a shop to pick up something with two of them in the back seats and when I came back out the two of them had disappeared. After a moment of pure panic, I heard them giggling in the boot. They had crawled from the seats into the boot and pulled up the seat back after them.

Bloody gremlins.

My kids discovered that you could pull down the centre backrest for an armrest and do it again to get access to the boot area.

I went in to a shop to pick up something with two of them in the back seats and when I came back out the two of them had disappeared. After a moment of pure panic, I heard them giggling in the boot. They had crawled from the seats into the boot and pulled up the seat back after them.

Bloody gremlins.

Ha ha Gas, :D

• Advertisement

Bloody gremlins.

Yeah I'm a bit worried about that one, my 4yo is obsessed with getting into the boot in my Leaf

Wait until he discoveres the kick sensor for the boot :eek:

Advertisement