Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCJ53qTQBk

Bjorn
    #72 VW ID4 82 kWh road trip to Arctic Circle part 2
    Edit of the live stream just posted

Pity Ionity is so expensive here, once VW increase the charging speed it will be the only option

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »
    Some EVs with a heat pump don’t use it for pre-heating anyway. The HP only really matters for when you are on the road.

Did the Ioniq use the HP or the PTC heater when plugged in?

Always thought it was the PTC, but afair it didn't take near 10kW. Might have seen 6kW at some stage going from memory. It's only for a short period anyways.

cannco253 wrote: »

Bjorn

Pity Ionity is so expensive here, once VW increase the charging speed it will be the only option

Eh.. ecars 150kW units? More sites than ionity, and more likely to add more compared to ionity in the future. Though ionity at least install multiple per site. Painful to arrive at an ecars 150 and find it already in use and only the 50kW as backup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

VW rumoured to increase ID.4 charging to 175kW possibly by the end of the year, also increasing ID.3

VW rumoured to increase ID.4 charging to 175kW possibly by the end of the year, also increasing ID.3

Cool. I'll make do with 150kW the rare time I use them (or 75kW if it's load balanced... Ugh). Tbh, I'll still use ionity if I need to. As I say, it's so rare I public charge it's hardly an expense in the grand scheme of things.

• Advertisement

Eh.. ecars 150kW units? More sites than ionity, and more likely to add more compared to ionity in the future. Though ionity at least install multiple per site. Painful to arrive at an ecars 150 and find it already in use and only the 50kW as backup

Haha yeah good O'l ESB charging "Hubs" yeah in use by 50 Kw charging cars or Leaf plugged in having to share the load or go to the 50 Kw charger that is probably throttled to 35 Kw as I saw in Kilcullen, real progress.

Good to see the ID.4 preheats the battery before fast charging but if I got the gist of that right it only does it for Ionity chargers ? that's nuts, the driver should have the option to manually preheat the battery for charging.

Have to say the id.4 is pretty tempting, just not happy about the cost to get travel assist.

I wonder will they increase the charging power to 150 Kw like rumors suggest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Good to see the ID.4 preheats the battery before fast charging but if I got the gist of that right it only does it for Ionity chargers ? that's nuts, the driver should have the option to manually preheat the battery for charging.

Have to say the id.4 is pretty tempting, just not happy about the cost to get travel assist.

I haven't looked at the options list on the series model ID.4, is the travel assist available as an option on the lower trims? If not possibly it will be available in the future?

eagerv wrote: »
    I haven't looked at the options list on the series model ID.4, is the travel assist available as an option on the lower trims? If not possibly it will be available in the future?

Travel assist is only available on the max and the tech spec. €54k for the tech spec. Seems ridiculous it's so "elite".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Travel assist is only available on the max and the tech spec. €54k for the tech spec. Seems ridiculous it's so "elite".
    Indeed the id.4 is looking very attractive for me but I'm not going to pay 58K to get travel assist, I'd rather pick and choose the options I want.

The Max will be €63,000 from July 1st with the removal of the SEAI grant (assuming VW don't drop the price, maybe include steel wheels, cloth seats :pac:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bjorn

It's only expensive if you're paying the full rate and if you're using it more than twice a month it's probably better to go for the subscription to get the discount

I've got a table showing how many kilometres it takes for each of the plans to pay off the subscription, I'll see if I can dig it up at some stage

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

What exactly is Travel Assist? Is it the lane correction thing together with adaptive cruise control?

What exactly is Travel Assist? Is it the lane correction thing together with adaptive cruise control?

It's like autopilot. It doesn't just keep you in Lane, it steers somewhat, without bouncing between the lines of the road. Cruise control is separate, and included on the 1st version as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Kramer wrote: »
    The Max will be €63,000 from July 1st with the removal of the SEAI grant (assuming VW don't drop the price, maybe include steel wheels, cloth seats :pac:).

Only phev hybrid is being cut and by 2500 for cars over 60k.if you can afford a car over 60k a few thousand isn't really a deal breaker and if it is you can't afford it. You will have to buy a 'poor person's car' for 55k.

Vw I would say will adjust their pricing and the reason given will be economy of scale. It's not the real reason as the car is profitable anyway but it explains the price drop without making it look like the grants were free money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Lantus wrote: »
    Only phev hybrid is being cut and by 2500 for cars over 60k.

Incorrect.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/9c69a-electric-vehicle-grant-scheme
    In addition, the grant for both EVs and PHEVs will only apply to cars under €60,000.

:cool:.

Kramer wrote: »

Given how manufacturers have been dropping prices on cars in the UK to keep the grant, I'd say it'll happen here as well

VW did something similar already with the VRT changes to the 1st. They made the metallic paint "free" instead of a non-optional paid option to keep below the maximum threshold for the VRT rebate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Was thinking of changing my 2016 Tiguan for this. Haven't seen in the flesh in a garage but disappointed there's a dip in the boot space. I mostly need to slide equipment along a level boot.

forumdedum wrote: »
    Was thinking of changing my 2016 Tiguan for this. Haven't seen in the flesh in a garage but disappointed there's a dip in the boot space. I mostly need to slide equipment along a level boot.

The higher spec ones have a false floor which makes the boot space more or less level. Removes the dip where the back seats drop, but I don't think the back seats fold fully flat

There's still the drop at the boot lid, pain in the hole when trying to lift something heavy out but I think it's partly down to the way the car is designed with the motor under the boot

The higher spec ones have a false floor which makes the boot space more or less level. Removes the dip where the back seats drop, but I don't think the back seats fold fully flat

There's still the drop at the boot lid, pain in the hole when trying to lift something heavy out but I think it's partly down to the way the car is designed with the motor under the boot

Can't fathom why the false floor wasn't included in the 1st. It's not like it's a selling point for people to upgrade by 15k+.

I've not sussed it out, but I'd be certain you could manufacture your own with some mdv, carpet and adhesive. Don't think I've a need though.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Can't fathom why the false floor wasn't included in the 1st. It's not like it's a selling point for people to upgrade by 15k+.

I've not sussed it out, but I'd be certain you could manufacture your own with some mdv, carpet and adhesive. Don't think I've a need though.

I'm wondering will the parts be available as user-installable parts to purchase from VW going forward?

Also, has anyone else had an issue with the head unit in the car not showing any Cell connection and the App now working?

I have no App and no ability to re-set the head unit as it says 'you must take the care out of offline mode to factory reset' - which I cannot do, as the car will neither go into nor come out of "online mode"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

OK, so the light pattern that shows on the ground when you press the unlock button on the key fob was unexpected. Nice touch.

OK, so the light pattern that shows on the ground when you press the unlock button on the key fob was unexpected. Nice touch.

VW have certainly fallen in love with light shows, I'm half expecting to see a giant VW sign being projected into the sky like the bat signal when I get mine :)

You'll struggle to lose your car in a car park ever again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

That's good to know. I guess it's one of those things where you need to see in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

It doesn't preheat the battery by selecting any fast charger. Best job is to floor it 20 minutes before charging station

Summer8181 wrote: »
    It doesn't preheat the battery by selecting any fast charger. Best job is to floor it 20 minutes before charging station

I'm nearly sure that's what Bjorn said in one of his latest videos, other than that I have no idea, think it was for ionity only for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Do VW include any free public charging or discounted charging with the ID4 ?
    How much does Ionity cost with ID4 ? Normal price is 79c/kWh

WattsUp wrote: »
    Do VW include any free public charging or discounted charging with the ID4 ?
    How much does Ionity cost with ID4 ? Normal price is 79c/kWh

No. VW do not include any free charging/discounted rates.

Ionity through the Ionity app is 79c/kWh.
    Ionity through the chargepoint app is 64c/kWh. This is not guaranteed to continue though. "Cheapest ionity provider" has changed several times over the last year.

It's only expensive if you're paying the full rate and if you're using it more than twice a month it's probably better to go for the subscription to get the discount

I've got a table showing how many kilometres it takes for each of the plans to pay off the subscription, I'll see if I can dig it up at some stage

As promised here's the comparison on We Charge plans

We Charge|Free|Go|Plus
    |||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3
    Monthly fee|0|7.49|17.49
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49
    |||
    Break even kWh per year|0|374.5|428.3265306
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|22.5|22.5|22.5
    Break even km per year|0|1664.444444|1903.673469
    |||
    Annual DC driving (km)|15000|15000|15000
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|3375|3375|3375
    Annual charging cost (€)|2666.25|1856.25|1012.5
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|89.88|209.88
    |||
    Total Annual cost (€)|2666.25|1946.13|1222.38

For a real world example, Dublin-Cork-Dublin is around 520km with Ionity Cashel at a nice charging location along the way

4 of those trips a year is enough to make the We Charge Plus worthwhile, if you do any other regular long distance drives that go past Ionity then it's worth looking at IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

As promised here's the comparison on We Charge plans

We Charge|Free|Go|Plus
    |||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3
    Monthly fee|0|7.49|17.49
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49
    |||
    Break even kWh per year|0|374.5|428.3265306
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|22.5|22.5|22.5
    Break even km per year|0|1664.444444|1903.673469
    |||
    Annual DC driving (km)|15000|15000|15000
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|3375|3375|3375
    Annual charging cost (€)|2666.25|1856.25|1012.5
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|89.88|209.88
    |||
    Total Annual cost (€)|2666.25|1946.13|1222.38

For a real world example, Dublin-Cork-Dublin is around 520km with Ionity Cashel at a nice charging location along the way

4 of those trips a year is enough to make the We Charge Plus worthwhile, if you do any other regular long distance drives that go past Ionity then it's worth looking at IMO

Has anyone queried VW Ireland on this? It was previously announced I thought that all ID cars got 3 years of We Charge Go included?

I also have a concern that if VW do absolutely nothing to incentivize/advantage VW cars versus other cars using Ionity, then does that not kind of miss the point of building this network in the first place?

In other words, if my tesla and my ID.4 both get charged the same rates at Ionity, and My Tesla also has access to SuperCharger, it is objectively better.

If my VW ID has discounted access to Ionity, then neither is objectively better, it comes down to usage patterns, price etc.

Where is the advantage for my VW ID from the fact that VW are part owners of the Ionity network? - As of now there seems zero advantage?

• Advertisement

catharsis wrote: »
    Has anyone queried VW Ireland on this? It was previously announced I thought that all ID cars got 3 years of We Charge Go included?

I also have a concern that if VW do absolutely nothing to incentivize/advantage VW cars versus other cars using Ionity, then does that not kind of miss the point of building this network in the first place?

In other words, if my tesla and my ID.4 both get charged the same rates at Ionity, and My Tesla also has access to SuperCharger, it is objectively better.

If my VW ID has discounted access to Ionity, then neither is objectively better, it comes down to usage patterns, price etc.

Where is the advantage for my VW ID from the fact that VW are part owners of the Ionity network? - As of now there seems zero advantage?

So the issue isn't with VW, it's VW Ireland that pulled the We Charge discount. German buyers still get the discounted rates:

For example, if you live for rent, load your ID. Model in the city, mainly driving short trips and occasionally going on a city trip at the weekend? Then you are well advised with We Charge Go. You can charge at public charging points without a charge and use IONITY fast charging stations as the owner of a fast-charging ID. at a discount rate.

IONITY: € 0.55 / kWh

Other charging points: surcharge per charging process does not apply depending on the operator

Basic fee:

€ 0 / Month (for fast-charging ID. Models)
    7.49 € / month (for ID models that cannot be charged quickly)
    From the T&Cs a fast charging ID is anything with over 100kW charging
    Volkswagen Group Charging GmbH (Elli) offers buyers of fast-charging ID. Models (depending on equipment from 100kW charging capacity) when concluding a contract up to and including June 30th, 2022 the We Charge Go tariff without a monthly basic fee and the We Charge Plus tariff for 9.99 € monthly for a maximum of 3 consecutive years. The tariffs mentioned each have a contract term of 12 months and can be extended by two additional terms of 12 months each.

Basically, we need to start yelling at VW Ireland

Advertisement