Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

Should of been about double that I'd say. Cold battery perhaps. Dodgy charger?

Starting charging at 50% probably will not give you good speeds, it wont in the ID.3 anyway. Needs to be under 20% then will fly providing the battery is at a reasonable temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Should of been about double that I'd say. Cold battery perhaps. Dodgy charger?

The charging speed does seem to depend a lot on the starting SoC, plugging in a 50% could limit the charging speed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Looks like VW are going to have V2G on MEB cars from next year

https://www.thedrive.com/news/40073/vws-evs-will-be-able-to-power-homes-charge-other-cars-starting-in-2022-report

Here's the source article in German, has some more details

https://app.handelsblatt.com/unternehmen/flottenmanagement/elektromobilitaet-bidirektionales-laden-so-will-volkswagen-am-speichern-von-strom-verdienen/27052182.html?ticket=ST-2866608-OnUZsVcbgUkmLxJaU3Be-ap6

Crucially they haven't said whether the car will provide AC or DC power to the load. AC would ideal as is means you can have loads plugged directly into the car, similar to the Ioniq 5 or Honda E

The fact that the current MEB cars can't do it seems to indicate they need to add hardware, which hopefully includes an inverter

I'm starting to think I'll need to trade in my ID.4 before the PCP runs out :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I like what Hyundai have done with the V2L (Vehicle to Load) system, I think it's a really good idea and would like it on my next car. V2G (Vehicle to Grid) seems like a good idea, but I don't really see the benefit for an individual unless they have a decent solar setup.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The charging speed does seem to depend a lot on the starting SoC, plugging in a 50% could limit the charging speed

I was only going by what fastned graphed.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I like what Hyundai have done with the V2L (Vehicle to Load) system, I think it's a really good idea and would like it on my next car. V2G (Vehicle to Grid) seems like a good idea, but I don't really see the benefit for an individual unless they have a decent solar setup.

I could charge up in work and provide some free power to the house. It would be good if there was an option to provide power to the house only and not the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Some ransom musings from the first five days of ownership.....

Feels like a tank on the road. I thought the Leaf was solid, but this takes it to another level.

Unbelievably quiet inside. Again, more so than the Leaf, which was already quiet.

Touchscreen and capacitive controls - **** off, give me proper buttons which actually work.

Coasting in D mode is insane - just keeps going and going...it's even tempted me from my beloved B mode as used for six years on two Leafs. Eco assistance feature while coasting is slightly freaky - car brakes / regens for you approaching traffic / junctions; perhaps a tad early but not too bad. Will have to turn this off for the wife as she'll think the thing is haunted.

B mode has some nice regen, stronger than the Leaf. A bigger power meter to monitor would be welcome though.

Range 1: still on my first 'fill' but, honestly, not looking fantastic at this early juncture. OK, I wasn't quite expecting the claimed 500km, but based on the 67% I've used so far, it's looking like it will barely scrape 400km - and that for a full 100%, so obviously lower again usable range. There's a reasonable amount of motorway work in that, but I've also been comparatively babying the car as well compared to normal (I think I had the fastest Leaf in Cork!). Hopefully things will improve.....

Range 2: wow, climate, and especially heating, deal a big blow to the range! Far greater comparatively than the Leaf - guess that was the heat pump.....

Ying and yang: the thing is so smooth and quiet it's VERY easy to go faster than you intend.....yet conversely at higher speeds I haven't really been tempted to hit naughty speeds because it's so relaxing.

Dealer already covered my car in swirl marks. Knew I should have told them leave it and got a new car detail instead!

The voice control function works about as well as most - i.e. it doesn't.

It's BIG - inside and out.

Seriously VW - keyless drive but no keyless entry? How much did you save - a dollar? Bastards.

Setting charging timers is......counterintuitive (I only know how to as someone here posted it!).

You make me go off and get new USB-C double ended cables.....and Android Auto is still flaky? Probably an Android / phone issue I guess.

The external sounds are kinda cool - like a spaceship or something.

Acceleration is decent, but no match for the Leaf.

Colleagues using the work chargers are going to hate me with that 77kW battery! Might be time to upgrade my old 3kW home charger too.

liamog wrote: »

If you're on a variable tariff then you can buy electricity when it's cheap then sell it back to the grid in the evenings when it's expensive

Ideally you can charge from free sources like solar or a free charger, but it's still possible without. If rates go negative you can even get paid to charge then paid to sell the electricity back

Some ransom musings from the first five days of ownership.....

Feels like a tank on the road. I thought the Leaf was solid, but this takes it to another level.

Unbelievably quiet inside. Again, more so than the Leaf, which was already quiet.

Touchscreen and capacitive controls - **** off, give me proper buttons which actually work.

Coasting in D mode is insane - just keeps going and going...it's even tempted me from my beloved B mode as used for six years on two Leafs. Eco assistance feature while coasting is slightly freaky - car brakes / regens for you approaching traffic / junctions; perhaps a tad early but not too bad. Will have to turn this off for the wife as she'll think the thing is haunted.

B mode has some nice regen, stronger than the Leaf. A bigger power meter to monitor would be welcome though.

Range 1: still on my first 'fill' but, honestly, not looking fantastic at this early juncture. OK, I wasn't quite expecting the claimed 500km, but based on the 67% I've used so far, it's looking like it will barely scrape 400km - and that for a full 100%, so obviously lower again usable range. There's a reasonable amount of motorway work in that, but I've also been comparatively babying the car as well compared to normal (I think I had the fastest Leaf in Cork!). Hopefully things will improve.....

Range 2: wow, climate, and especially heating, deal a big blow to the range! Far greater comparatively than the Leaf - guess that was the heat pump.....

Ying and yang: the thing is so smooth and quiet it's VERY easy to go faster than you intend.....yet conversely at higher speeds I haven't really been tempted to hit naughty speeds because it's so relaxing.

Dealer already covered my car in swirl marks. Knew I should have told them leave it and got a new car detail instead!

The voice control function works about as well as most - i.e. it doesn't.

It's BIG - inside and out.

Seriously VW - keyless drive but no keyless entry? How much did you save - a dollar? Bastards.

Setting charging timers is......counterintuitive (I only know how to as someone here posted it!).

You make me go off and get new USB-C double ended cables.....and Android Auto is still flaky? Probably an Android / phone issue I guess.

The external sounds are kinda cool - like a spaceship or something.

Acceleration is decent, but no match for the Leaf.

Colleagues using the work chargers are going to hate me with that 77kW battery! Might be time to upgrade my old 3kW home charger too.

I'm pretty happy with the touch screen

D mode is my default, B is my wife's. I like the eco assistance, it somewhat alerts you to cars slowing ahead etc.

Not had a chance to try any real range yet. Can't wait, but so far locally it's been fun. I am conscious of the cost of those tyres so taking things easy.
    Be nice to see a breakdown of what's consuming what power. Ie. What does the heater take. The preheat function is nice though.

Keyless entry is annoying. Never going to pay out the 15k+ to get it, so why withold it?

I found Android Auto flakey on my old car with my old phone, but once I upgraded my phone it was much better. That said, I was using Android Auto wirelessly to navigate and play music and it **** the bed on me. Buffering a lot.

Yeah, upgrade that 3kW charger. Guts of a day to charge from empty.

I am conscious of the cost of those tyres so taking things easy..

Are you getting a service pack? I must get back on to BW about it actually - confirmed available when collected but didn't sort it out because of some BS or other. The more expensive option is €19 per month for the three years and includes the single service due in that period after two years.......but it also includes a full set of tyres (after 30k km I think) which is a bloody good saving and an absolute no brainer, given a set of 20" decent brand tyres will cost you at least a grand fitted, and likely quite a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭digiman

Does the id4 Max automatically lock itself when you leave the car? Had this on the Tesla Model 3 and really miss it when I’m driving our Tiguan. I’m always forgetting to turn of the Tiguan and worse then forgetting to lock it as I leave the car!

Are you getting a service pack? I must get back on to BW about it actually - confirmed available when collected but didn't sort it out because of some BS or other. The more expensive option is €19 per month for the three years and includes the single service due in that period after two years.......but it also includes a full set of tyres (after 30k km I think) which is a bloody good saving and an absolute no brainer, given a set of 20" decent brand tyres will cost you at least a grand fitted, and likely quite a bit more.

Asked about it and was told nothing. Just says it was due a service at 2 years.

Asked about it and was told nothing. Just says it was due a service at 2 years.

I've just emailed them to follow up. Will PM you with details if they get their finger out.

Anyone have issues AC charging? I plugged it into my venerable 3.3 kW home charger last night and it started fine......but stopped for some reason after ~2 hours. No faults indicated anywhere that I can see. Timer set 00.05 - 08.05. Home charger hasn't missed a beat in six years with the Leafs so am guessing it's a car issue......hopefully a Padraig Mor error, and not a car fault! Charging at work now (@11kW - nice!) so let's see how that goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Anyone have issues AC charging? I plugged it into my venerable 3.3 kW home charger last night and it started fine......but stopped for some reason after ~2 hours. No faults indicated anywhere that I can see. Timer set 00.05 - 08.05. Home charger hasn't missed a beat in six years with the Leafs so am guessing it's a car issue......hopefully a Padraig Mor error, and not a car fault! Charging at work now (@11kW - nice!) so let's see how that goes....

Have you any "max" limit set that would have stopped when it hit that ?

WattsUp wrote: »

Have you any "max" limit set that would have stopped when it hit that ?

No, set to 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

No, set to 100%.

Sure see how it goes on the 11kw at work....Maybe the home one was just overawed by the big brute of a battery :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Do you have to have the ID4 connected to Home WiFi to start charging it? Or to send it maps etc? I've only tried once to send it anything and it didn't work. I must connect it to the WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

what if your phone's battery is flat? you lose phone? or drop phone etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Where did you set the timer on the charger? 2 of us here trying find it on our our ID4.
    I tried it on the Zappi and it failed miserably. Its not on the app.

I've just over 1500km on mine now.
    Range has settled in around 410km for a full charge with very little mad bursts and the AC I have off most of the time. I got the demist spray for the internal windows and its stops them fogging up.

Keyless entry!!! Its a killer as I have had it on the last 4 cars and the boot open is a pain in the hole. Why have a boot button on a key and it doesn't work...

Android wireless is flaky at best.

The hand gesture doensn't work.

The infotainment is decent enough.

Still love it though :)

For some reason the car has lost kms sitting there. I charged it to full, 401km. Yesterday I noted it lost 4 Kms and today I checked the app and its down to 395kms... heat isn't on, no departure times set.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Where did you set the timer on the charger? 2 of us here trying find it on our our ID4.

Range has settled in around 410km for a full charge with very little mad bursts and the AC I have off most of the time. I got the demist spray for the internal windows and its stops them fogging up.

Keyless entry!!! Its a killer as I have had it on the last 4 cars and the boot open is a pain in the hole. Why have a boot button on a key and it doesn't work...

For some reason the car has lost kms sitting there. I charged it to full, 401km. Yesterday I noted it lost 4 Kms and today I checked the app and its down to 395kms... heat isn't on, no departure times set.

Convinced ambient temperature plays into it. Ours was down around 260 the other day, did the creche run and later that day notice it up at 300km. Then when I went to collect from creche it was up at 310km.

For the charging times, it's in vehicle - locations - add location and add your home as a charging location, then set times etc

Yes, if it's like my ID.3 it fluctuates a bit. Up and down. I suppose it is only a Guess o meter. I have often gone out to the car and when I start it's got a little more range than the app previously said.

Re fogging up, I find if you leave the heater on "low" with the fan on low then there is no range penalty with not too cold weather. (With ac off). And clear windows.

Convinced ambient temperature plays into it. Ours was down around 260 the other day, did the creche run and later that day notice it up at 300km. Then when I went to collect from creche it was up at 310km.

For the charging times, it's in vehicle - locations - add location and add your home as a charging location, then set times etc

Yes it does, but more important is battery temp which we cannot see unless we have an OBD thingy.
    For example the other night when I had to drive the ambient temp was about zero but I didn't get any battery heating hit on range. (Normally there would be at least 5kW used when under about 5c or so). Battery was obviously still warm from heat earlier in day.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I had a couple of false starts alright, but assumed I must be doing something wrong.

Had it cut out once because i was using an extension lead and it got too hot.

Thermal cutout, but once I unrolled the cable, it was grand.

WattsUp wrote: »
    Sure see how it goes on the 11kw at work....Maybe the home one was just overawed by the big brute of a battery :-)

All the way to 100% at 11kW at work anyway - no issues and must say the estimated finish time was very close to spot on at the start - ~5 hours and it look about an extra 10 minutes in the end.

If it's not going to play nicely with my home charger though, there could be trouble.....need to be able to rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭CBD2

Really hate no keyless entry. I might try one of these if they're compatible. Price is OK at about €150 https://www.viper.com/car/keylessentry/product/412v/viper-1-way-keyless-entry-system

Do you have to have the ID4 connected to Home WiFi to start charging it? Or to send it maps etc? I've only tried once to send it anything and it didn't work. I must connect it to the WiFi

Trying to figure out with the air conditioning how the LHD car in the app controls my RHD car. You can only turn on both seats or the drivers seat (as the app sees it), but not sure if the drivers seat in the app is the drivers seat in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

App is poor at the moment, car colour is wrong and very slow to respond when you try to preheat the car. I'm hoping the next round of updates will provide some more of the car data that we all want to see.

Bjorn latest video is on the app
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhuffl5rIs8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

All the way to 100% at 11kW at work anyway - no issues and must say the estimated finish time was very close to spot on at the start - ~5 hours and it look about an extra 10 minutes in the end.

If it's not going to play nicely with my home charger though, there could be trouble.....need to be able to rely on it.

If the home charger does the same thing again I'd remove the Location based timer configuration and manually start the charge session and see if the issue goes away.

The timers are not reliable yet, imo.

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    App is poor at the moment, car colour is wrong and very slow to respond when you try to preheat the car. I'm hoping the next round of updates will provide some more of the car data that we all want to see.

Bjorn latest video is on the app
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhuffl5rIs8

Yeah interesting to see some settings are pretty instant vs the air conditioning. That said, when air con is still spinning in the app, I can see via ev notify that is starting to draw power for the heaters, so the initiation of heating might actually be quick, but the response from the car might be delayed

Advertisement