Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

cannco253 wrote: »
    I haven't used the timer on the car or zappi. I don't have a night rate or solar yet, just plug in the car and use the Fast boost option when I need it. The last time I charged it to 80%, charging started at 8pm and finished at 3am without any problems. I'll try it tonight using the car timers to see what happens.

Is the preference to use the car to control the timing or the smart charger? Seems like both have their own issues no matter what the car or charger is. There are lots of reports of zappi's not working correctly with Tesla/Kia/Hyundai as well as VW.

I wonder if anybody here with the VW home charger is having the same problems?

I had one issue with VW home charger. Couldn't stop last session on app, so couldn't charge again. Did factory reset on app and working great since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Do you control the timing via the zappi so?

I just have a dumb Rolec charger. Worked flawlessly for 2 years on my old car. Charging worked fine for me at Lidl the other day, so I do suspect it's the location based scheduled Home charging

Hmm.....you might recall I had an issue with mine the other day as well. Set charge timer - it started fine at ~midnight but stopped after a couple of hours. Charger is as dumb as it gets and hasn't missed a beat in six years. Not good! I think I'll set it to charge at home again tonight (despite not needing to) to see how it gets on this time.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I haven't used the timer on the car or zappi. I don't have a night rate or solar yet, just plug in the car and use the Fast boost option when I need it. The last time I charged it to 80%, charging started at 8pm and finished at 3am without any problems. I'll try it tonight using the car timers to see what happens.

Is the preference to use the car to control the timing or the smart charger? Seems like both have their own issues no matter what the car or charger is. There are lots of reports of zappi's not working correctly with Tesla/Kia/Hyundai as well as VW.

I wonder if anybody here with the VW home charger is having the same problems?

Thanks. Interested to know how it goes.
    Timers don’t work on ID.3 even after the 2.1 update

In what way do they not work?

Hmm.....you might recall I had an issue with mine the other day as well. Set charge timer - it started fine at ~midnight but stopped after a couple of hours. Charger is as dumb as it gets and hasn't missed a beat in six years. Not good! I think I'll set it to charge at home again tonight (despite not needing to) to see how it gets on this time.

When you say "charger timer" do you mean your car charger timer, or your zappi/wallbox etc unit timer?

My charger is dumb too, so I rely on the cars scheduler.

I'll be testing it out over the next few nights, not that the VW dealer can do anything about it if it's software. PITA though.

When you say "charger timer" do you mean your car charger timer, or your zappi/wallbox etc unit timer?

My charger is dumb too, so I rely on the cars scheduler.

I'll be testing it out over the next few nights, not that the VW dealer can do anything about it if it's software. PITA though.

Timer on car - nothing so fancy on the home charger!:D

• Advertisement

Timer on car - nothing so fancy on the home charger!:D

Seeing something similar on the ID.3 thread. Shameful from VW they've not fixed this yet. Big concern people have with electric cars is charging and range, and this doesn't help.

I'll give it another chance tonight on the schedule, but if needs be i'll probably manually start it as close as I can to midnight. An hour or 2 on the day rate is worth the sleep. At worst a euro extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Just got the zappi in at home.
    Charging at a whopping 27km/hr compared to about 8 for the granny cable. What a stupid measurement though.
    Around 2.5kw of that is coming from the solar. All good.
    Must play with the settings later on to see what it can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just got the zappi in at home.
    Charging at a whopping 27km/hr compared to about 8 for the granny cable. What a stupid measurement though.
    Around 2.5kw of that is coming from the solar. All good.
    Must play with the settings later on to see what it can do.

And what's your solar PV set-up?
    Also, do you have a solar diverter for heating water?

Seeing something similar on the ID.3 thread. Shameful from VW they've not fixed this yet. Big concern people have with electric cars is charging and range, and this doesn't help.

I'll give it another chance tonight on the schedule, but if needs be i'll probably manually start it as close as I can to midnight. An hour or 2 on the day rate is worth the sleep. At worst a euro extra.

Yeah, pain in the hoop. Will see if it happens again tonight. I'm always up late so no problem plugging in at midnight - but I'd prefer to just plug'n'go when I park up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yeah, pain in the hoop. Will see if it happens again tonight. I'm always up late so no problem plugging in at midnight - but I'd prefer to just plug'n'go when I park up!

Plug it in when you get home and then just stop the charge on the app. When you're heading to bed then just restart the charge with the app.

• Advertisement

deravarra wrote: »
    And what's your solar PV set-up?
    Also, do you have a solar diverter for heating water?

4.2kw array
    4.8kw battery and a diverter.

Zappi pulls from solar if it is generating more than 500kw (although I think you can play with this setting)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Interesting I have the Zappi new one too
    I had a schedule setup on the Zappi, Eco++ and then Boost from midnight to utilise the night rate but it never worked properly and I was nearly caught out when I needed the car early one morning.
    So I have scrapped that and now I'm using the one built into the Vehicle/Location/Timer to see if that works for me..... Ill keep you updated.

I noted that the car, when turned off, is using 0.2kw of electric. Heating is off, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

Did my first long drive in the iD4 this week, 168km one direction of which 120km was motorway, averaged 90km/h for trip and got 22.6 kWh/100km consumption, 49% battery used.

I took a shorter route back, 145km (65km on motorway), averaged 79km/h for trip and got 22.2 kWh/100km consumption, 46% battery used. Outside temps where between 5 and 9c.

Battery was about 90% at the beginning of each trip. I wasn't driving conservatively so I was happy enough with that to be honest.

v10 wrote: »
    Did my first long drive in the iD4 this week, 168km one direction of which 120km was motorway, averaged 90km/h for trip and got 22.6 kWh/100km consumption, 49% battery used.

I took a shorter route back, 145km (65km on motorway), averaged 79km/h for trip and got 22.2 kWh/100km consumption, 46% battery used. Outside temps where between 5 and 9c.

Battery was about 90% at the beginning of each trip. I wasn't driving conservatively so I was happy enough with that to be honest.

About 313km for about 95% battery consumption?
    Seems quite poor. All this from an anticipated 500+Kms range doesn't seem to be as good as I would have hoped.
    Would this make anyone hold out a little bit longer for increased ranges and new battery tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Zappi pulls from solar if it is generating more than 500kw (although I think you can play with this setting)

TheWonderLlama's house:

crescent-dunes_solarreserve-900-1.jpg

:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Seems quite poor.

Seems plenty to me. Leave home, drive 300km/3 hours, stop for a charge/coffee/pee - 25 minutes & good to go another 200kms.

Would many ever need to that 500km here, on this tiny island?
    Nope.

We just need more chargers now, a few hubs.........as in more than 1x 150kW units..........eCars...........pull the finger out please :pac:.

Seems quite poor. All this from an anticipated 500+Kms range doesn't seem to be as good as I would have hoped.
    Would this make anyone hold out a little bit longer for increased ranges and new battery tech?

500km is lab conditions, 21C weather, 90km/hr speeds. I always take 20% off the WLTP rating to guess real world range, and then another 10-20% off for motorway driving. I would of hoped for 300km motorway driving, but perhaps that's asking a bit much.

As Kramer says, 300km is plenty of driving before you'd want a pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

The 2 guys you sent me on were actually the most helpful of all but unfortunately both of them have no more left. So thank you for that!
    I'll get back on the phone this morning and ring around again!
    Just to update this, got a deal done today in the end. Collecting in a couple of weeks.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Outside temperatures would have meant that the car spent a decent bit of energy heating the battery at the start of each trip.

Kramer wrote: »
    Seems plenty to me. Leave home, drive 300km/3 hours, stop for a charge/coffee/pee - 25 minutes & good to go another 200kms.

Would many ever need to that 500km here, on this tiny island?
    Nope.

We just need more chargers now, a few hubs.........as in more than 1x 150kW units..........eCars...........pull the finger out please :pac:.
    500km is lab conditions, 21C weather, 90km/hr speeds. I always take 20% off the WLTP rating to guess real world range, and then another 10-20% off for motorway driving. I would of hoped for 300km motorway driving, but perhaps that's asking a bit much.

As Kramer says, 300km is plenty of driving before you'd want a pitstop.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    Outside temperatures would have meant that the car spent a decent bit of energy heating the battery at the start of each trip.

I was happy enough with it, can't see a situation where this wouldn't be enough in this country.

I would add that the heat was on in the car at 21 degrees and also I wouldn't have the lightest foot, my wife gets about 20% better economy than me in my ICE car!

• Advertisement

my wife gets about 20% better economy from my ICE car!

Where's the fun in that though :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where's the fun in that though :pac:

Exactly !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Hi folks,

If anyone is having timed charge problems with their car, can you please log the problem with your dealer so that they can log it in their system. VW are denying there is any problem with the ID car timers... but there is. They need to know how much of a problem. Then they might actually do something about it.

Cross posting this to both ID threads.

I was happy enough with it, can't see a situation where this wouldn't be enough in this country.

I would add that the heat was on in the car at 21 degrees and also I wouldn't have the lightest foot, my wife gets about 20% better economy than me in my ICE car!

I often have occasion to do 600+km in a day. Adding a possible 2 charges to my journey adds more than an hour to my day, assuming I can get high speed charging.

It might suit a large amount of folks, but 319 km wouldn't really be my cuppa tea at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Looks like the ID.4 doesn't pre heat the battery when plugged in, only when you start driving which is disappointing. Bjorn mentions it in one of his videos that he thinks it would use 5 or 6kW to heat a battery of that size. Hopefully something VW will fix soon with an OTA update.

It would be great to be able to compare the effect the heat pump has on the car, once it becomes available.

Kramer wrote: »
    TheWonderLlama's house:

:D.

LOL, yeah, even with that setup you'd never produce that in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Looks like the ID.4 doesn't pre heat the battery when plugged in, only when you start driving which is disappointing. Bjorn mentions it in one of his videos that he thinks it would use 5 or 6kW to heat a battery of that size. Hopefully something VW will fix soon with an OTA update.

It would be great to be able to compare the effect the heat pump has on the car, once it becomes available.

I think he is wrong.

The car uses upto 10kW when preconditioning. Thats not all going to cabin heating.

Hi folks,

If anyone is having timed charge problems with their car, can you please log the problem with your dealer so that they can log it in their system. VW are denying there is any problem with the ID car timers... but there is. They need to know how much of a problem. Then they might actually do something about it.

Cross posting this to both ID threads.

Taking notes today and sending my findings on to VW next week.

Home charging on schedule
    Home charging off schedule
    Public charging off schedule
    Public charging on schedule (if I've time)

Photos of my settings, and screenshots of my power usage at the house at the times of charge.

Be an effort for zero fix, but hopefully draws enough conclusion for VW that it's not the charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

I didn't get a welcome pack from Frank Keane Liffey Valley but the salesman did tell me after I collected that he had something for me if I was going by. I'll be there tomorrow so I'll post up what happens.

Picked up my ID 4 welcome pack from Frank Keane today. It's has socks, We Charge card, USB charger, a soft cloth and seed ball. I was also given a small boot divider and a Spring Car Care kit that has a rim brush, rim gel, insect remover, dashboard care and microfibre cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I often have occasion to do 600+km in a day. Adding a possible 2 charges to my journey adds more than an hour to my day, assuming I can get high speed charging.

It might suit a large amount of folks, but 319 km wouldn't really be my cuppa tea at the moment

I think you need to revisit your logic there slightly, even if you do without the luxuries of food, water, rest or bathroom breaks you're still going to have to refuel your car at least once.

Between parking, filling and paying that'll probably take around 10-15 mins

If you were going to do that same journey in an ID.4, you'd probably need two charging stops up to around 50% battery.

You wouldn't charge more because you don't need it and it's a lot more expensive than charging at home

Charging to 50% would take about 20 mins at a high power charger. So you're looking at two 20 mins stops versus a single 15 mins one

Time impact of an EV: 25 mins
    Cost savings of an EV: around €28 I reckon

I think a good rule of thumb that if you spend more time saving money than the hourly rate of your job then it's probably not worth the time

€28 for 25 mins equates to €67 per hour which is about €134,000 per year

If your salary is less than that amount, then buying an EV is a worthwhile money saver :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement