Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

Charging to 50% would take about 20 mins at a high power charger. So you're looking at two 20 mins stops versus a single 15 mins one

Time impact of an EV: 25 mins
    Cost savings of an EV: around €28 I reckon

That's if a Hight power charger can be found the rest are single 50 Kw chargers and you could very well find yourself in a 2-3 car queue with a potential 2 hr 30 min wait excluding your own charging time. + The ESB so called high power chargers have to split the load with a ChaDeMo car.

This is the real disadvantage of electric cars, the Public charging network which is absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That's if a Hight power charger can be found the rest are single 50 Kw chargers and you could very well find yourself in a 2-3 car queue with a potential 2 hr 30 min wait excluding your own charging time. + The ESB so called high power chargers have to split the load with a ChaDeMo car.

This is the real disadvantage of electric cars, the Public charging network which is absolute crap.

Depends on the route, Dublin-Cork for example is well served by Ionity in Cashel and the upcoming ESB hub at Monasterevin

Ideally if there was a high powered charger near Cork you could do the roundtrip on a single charge

This is all on the assumption that you have no opportunity to destination charge, you could knock out any fast charging potentially if you can plug into an 11kW charger

Now, if all you've got along your route is 50kW chargers then it's a different situation and I'll agree in that case there's a fairly big time impact from charging. It could fit into a lunch break of you're willing to stop for a while

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Depends on the route, Dublin-Cork for example is well served by Ionity in Cashel and the upcoming ESB hub at Monasterevin

Ideally if there was a high powered charger near Cork you could do the roundtrip on a single charge

This is all on the assumption that you have no opportunity to destination charge, you could knock out any fast charging potentially if you can plug into an 11kW charger

Now, if all you've got along your route is 50kW chargers then it's a different situation and I'll agree in that case there's a fairly big time impact from charging. It could fit into a lunch break of you're willing to stop for a while

On routes well served is fine but once you reach your destination you might need to fast charge again, the AC points are much busier today and the ESB have removed several AC units which could charge 2 cars at the one time to 1 single DC point, while I think DC is fine they should have added 2 at least.

I would suggest People study their route carefully and think that if a DC charger is in use or there might be a queue that they could have significant time added to their journey, it would be a good idea to take their ICE if they have one until the charging network greatly improves which at this rate could be years.

On routes well served is fine but once you reach your destination you might need to fast charge again, the AC points are much busier today and the ESB have removed several AC units which could charge 2 cars at the one time to 1 single DC point, while I think DC is fine they should have added 2 at least.

I would suggest People study their route carefully and think that if a DC charger is in use or there might be a queue that they could have significant time added to their journey, it would be a good idea to take their ICE if they have one until the charging network greatly improves which at this rate could be years.

Oh I agree, until charger hubs are as ubiquitous as petrol stations you need to do your homework and see what chargers are available along routes you normally take

As I said Dublin to Cork and back would be easier if there was a HPC closer to Cork, as it is now it's quicker to do a quick charge at Ionity Cashel both ways

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Ah here, we've been a single EV household with an Ioniq since 2017. I once got stuck at a charger waiting for another car to move on for 1hr 40mins and a broken charger at Roscrea meant I had to nurse it to ballysimon road but after 4 years that's about it. I had an alternator go in my previous car and that was about an hour waiting on the M7 for a tow to Roscrea and got collected from there so I suppose you can be unlucky in any car.

In 2018 I drove Dublin to Kerry return in a day once every 2 weeks and in 2019 it was every week for an overnight. Most of the time I did 1 fast charge each way to 80% and destination charging while there. When I fast charged I'd generally go to the jack's and grab a coffee, if I had food then normally the car was finished charging before me. We did a 2 week road trip in Scotland without issue but I didn't think the network was great over there.

We can all imagine worst case scenarios but if you're living in Dublin you can reach pretty much anywhere in the country without charging on route provided you have destination charging available. It's a lovely car to drive too, delighted with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

deravarra wrote: »
    I often have occasion to do 600+km in a day. Adding a possible 2 charges to my journey adds more than an hour to my day, assuming I can get high speed charging.

It might suit a large amount of folks, but 319 km wouldn't really be my cuppa tea at the moment

To be honest, if I was doing 600+km in a day I wouldn't consider an EV myself yet, too much stress and range anxiety. But I don't and I'm confident the iD4 can do any trip I'll be asking of it and will probably mostly get away with home charging only which is my goal.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Taking notes today and sending my findings on to VW next week.

Home charging on schedule
    Home charging off schedule
    Public charging off schedule
    Public charging on schedule (if I've time)

Photos of my settings, and screenshots of my power usage at the house at the times of charge.

Be an effort for zero fix, but hopefully draws enough conclusion for VW that it's not the charge point.

Midnight to 6am charging schedule kicked in and the car pulled ~300W until 1am at which point it stopped pulling anything. No idea what this was for. Just went out (pulsing green light on the charge port door, display suggested it was in scheduled charge mode but --km/hr being added) and unplugged and plugged back in the cable to the car and immediately it started charging. Let's see how long that lasts.

Midnight to 6am charging schedule kicked in and the car pulled ~300W until 1am at which point it stopped pulling anything. No idea what this was for. Just went out (pulsing green light on the charge port door, display suggested it was in scheduled charge mode but --km/hr being added) and unplugged and plugged back in the cable to the car and immediately it started charging. Let's see how long that lasts.

Well that worked. Still charging away now. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Well that worked. Still charging away now. Not sure what conclusion to draw from that though.

If you just plug the car in to charge without any timers does it stop after a few minutes?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If you just plug the car in to charge without any timers does it stop after a few minutes?

Not from what I've experienced so far. That's on my list of scenarios to test over the next few days

• Advertisement

Not from what I've experienced so far. That's on my list of scenarios to test over the next few days

Test that first. My ID3 used to start charging no problem but stopped after about 30 minutes. The installer came back out and changed the ALM on the wall and since then it's been fine.

Test that first. My ID3 used to start charging no problem but stopped after about 30 minutes. The installer came back out and changed the ALM on the wall and since then it's been fine.

But it charged for like 7 hours no bother last night after I unplugged and plugged it in at 1am. So the charge point I have had no problem supplying it

But it charged for like 7 hours no bother last night after I unplugged and plugged it in at 1am. So the charge point I have had no problem supplying it

Was it charging? Didn't you say it was pulling only 300W?

Does your Rolec have any load balancing or a priority switch?

The issue with the Zappi was that if the Zappi stopped supplying power then the car would go into a sort of deep sleep mode and wouldn't wake up

I wonder is something similar happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I often have occasion to do 600+km in a day. Adding a possible 2 charges to my journey adds more than an hour to my day, assuming I can get high speed charging.

It might suit a large amount of folks, but 319 km wouldn't really be my cuppa tea at the moment

That's fair enough but you are in the 1%. Stick with diesel. In the future there will be 800 and 1000km range cars for such specific use cases.

Was it charging? Didn't you say it was pulling only 300W?

Does your Rolec have any load balancing or a priority switch?

The issue with the Zappi was that if the Zappi stopped supplying power then the car would go into a sort of deep sleep mode and wouldn't wake up

I wonder is something similar happening here?

Oh I should of clarified, at 12am it started pulling 300W, at 1am it stopped pulling anything, at 1.15am I went out and unplugged and plugged the cable into the car and immediately it started pulling 7kW. (Kids had a bad night, I wasn't babysitting the charger all night).

Rolec has no balancing, it's a simple dumb unit.

No undersupply, Rolec just gives what the car requests up to its 32amp limit.

Lantus wrote: »
    That's fair enough but you are in the 1%. Stick with diesel. In the future there will be 800 and 1000km range cars for such specific use cases.

Yup, agreed. If you're regularly going outside your cars range, get a bigger range car, or stick to ice, whichever is more economical and livable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Tried an overnight charge to see if any issues with timer (previous time stopped after a couple of hours). Started fine anyway but am unsure if it charged the full time, or is a bit 'slow' or something but it only gave me 28% in 8 hours so ~21.5kWh, or ~2.7kW per hour, which would definitely be less than the Leaf (which seems to get even more than the rated 3.3kW). Or maybe it stopped early, I dunno.

Tried an overnight charge to see if any issues with timer (previous time stopped after a couple of hours). Started fine anyway but am unsure if it charged the full time, or is a bit 'slow' or something but it only gave me 28% in 8 hours so ~21.5kWh, or ~2.7kW per hour, which would definitely be less than the Leaf (which seems to get even more than the rated 3.3kW). Or maybe it stopped early, I dunno.

I feel like the car has some weird algorithm where it tries to optimise the charging speed so it'll hit the required amount of charge at the end of the charging timer

Whatever it is, it's clearly not working very well

I feel like the car has some weird algorithm where it tries to optimise the charging speed so it'll hit the required amount of charge at the end of the charging timer

Whatever it is, it's clearly not working very well

Ah yes, a feature no one has asked for.

What they are trying to do is have the battery finish charging just before you set off and have it warm so it uses less energy early in the journey.

• Advertisement

What they are trying to do is have the battery finish charging just before you set off and have it warm so it uses less energy early in the journey.

There are departure times for that, charging time is separate. I charge between midnight and 6am, but I depart at 7.45. My ioniq did this effectively for years.

If they wanted the battery to be warm for departure, add it to the departure time options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

There are departure times for that, charging time is separate. I charge between midnight and 6am, but I depart at 7.45. My ioniq did this effectively for years.

If they wanted the battery to be warm for departure, add it to the departure time options.

Should be fixable with an OTA update?

"It's not a bug, it's a feature" :D

"It's not a bug, it's a feature" :D

It's not a bug is an Easter egg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I bet it doesn't do fart sounds, like Elon's cars :pac:.

Kramer wrote: »
    I bet it doesn't do fart sounds, like Elon's cars :pac:.

I dunno, VW have had a few issues in the past with unexpected emissions :)

Probably better than the jokes from the voice control anyway

Should be fixable with an OTA update?

Should be, it's just some scheduling weirdness. We need to get VW to admit something is wrong first, they seem to be insisting it's the charger is at fault

Should be, it's just some scheduling weirdness. We need to get VW to admit something is wrong first, they seem to be insisting it's the charger is at fault

The onboard charger I assume, since the unit on your house is a glorified socket. .
    Alas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Just wondering, has anyone been able to get the ID Connect app to work with pre-heating the car? Every time I try to set it, change the temperature in the car, it fails to connect when trying to update the car. Can't figure it out at all.

Advertisement