Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I feel like the car has some weird algorithm where it tries to optimise the charging speed so it'll hit the required amount of charge at the end of the charging timer

Whatever it is, it's clearly not working very well

Really don't see what the issue is - it's a bloody charge timer. How difficult can it be to set it up properly?!

Anyway, just wondering whether I'm losing the plot, or has anyone else noticed something......odd. The safety gubbins include a feature to nudge the steering wheel away from lane markings if you start to drift - quite a common system these days. So, if I approach the broken line indicating the hard shoulder (on the left), the ID4 gently pushes the steering to the right. Fair enough. When you approach the centre line (on your right), or at least a solid one anyway, the car similarly nudges the steering.....unless I'm mistaken......to the right as well - i.e. in the direction of oncoming traffic! Seriously, am I imagining this?! It would seem a very strange system.......unless they forgot to swap the direction around from left hand drive countries! I mean I haven't done a scientific study on this, but I'm noticing it several times a day (I drive on some narrow roads) - and I don't recall it pushing the steering in the correct (left) direction when hitting the centre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oh mine added 3% battery during the "preheating". App even said adding 10km/hr or something like that.

Yes because your car is drawing 7kw I'd imagine and heating the cabin and battery probably isn't using a 1:1 as the charger is providing.

Really don't see what the issue is - it's a bloody charge timer. How difficult can it be to set it up properly?!

Anyway, just wondering whether I'm losing the plot, or has anyone else noticed something......odd. The safety gubbins include a feature to nudge the steering wheel away from lane markings if you start to drift - quite a common system these days. So, if I approach the broken line indicating the hard shoulder (on the left), the ID4 gently pushes the steering to the right. Fair enough. When you approach the centre line (on your right), or at least a solid one anyway, the car similarly nudges the steering.....unless I'm mistaken......to the right as well - i.e. in the direction of oncoming traffic! Seriously, am I imagining this?! It would seem a very strange system.......unless they forgot to swap the direction around from left hand drive countries! I mean I haven't done a scientific study on this, but I'm noticing it several times a day (I drive on some narrow roads) - and I don't recall it pushing the steering in the correct (left) direction when hitting the centre line.

Should keep you in your lane. What do the lights on the dash say? Is the left line always flashing orange? If so you might have an issue with your camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Hi All,

I notice the city trim appears to be available to order now. This puts the ID4 in my price bracket. I am going to book a test drive.

Has anyone ordered a non 1st/Max trim yet? Is there much variance in on the 'on the road' price? Current lead time on order of a city trim?

Jumpa

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yes because your car is drawing 7kw I'd imagine and heating the cabin and battery probably isn't using a 1:1 as the charger is providing.

That's not how it works. The car doesn't pull 7kW or nothing. It pulls up to 7kW. As I said in my earlier post, it was pulling 3.5kW for about 15 minutes at 5.30am when it started charging. Stop digging a hole, the software for charging is buggy, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well the car can draw varying current from the charger, for example if it only needs 3kW the car will signal the charger to supply 3kW of power

So why does it pull the full 7kW when it only needs 2kW or something like that?

Unless the heaters combined pulled more than 7kW, the car might charge again to backfill what it lost from the battery

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

That's not how it works. The car doesn't pull 7kW or nothing. It pulls up to 7kW. As I said in my earlier post, it was pulling 3.5kW for about 15 minutes at 5.30am when it started charging. Stop digging a hole, the software for charging is buggy, nothing else.

You seem like a very angry man. Have you had your Weetabix this morning?

So in Germany you can get the lowest trim ID.4 for just over €100 per month (needs translation)

https://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/duitsers-rijden-vw-id-4-voor-maar-103-euro-per-maand-883211&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjjjqOnmfjvAhWjoXEKHdCdBqYQxfQBMAZ6BAgCEAE&usg=AOvVaw2nqlhIYZLPutSxGfQw4gqa

€6k deposit and the lease is for 2 years, only grey is available otherwise you pay more

Doesn't include insurance or electricity, not sure about maintenance

It'll be interesting to see how the pricing here goes. I'd say a fair few people would be interested in a family mover for €100 per month

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I see the ID4 is available with a 52kW battery, surely the range is going to be very low with it? I was speccing up an ID3 and had a look at an ID4, the ID4 i looked at it 2K cheaper than the ID3!!

(Apologies if it is covered already - 131 pages and search didn't show anything)

You seem like a very angry man. Have you had your Weetabix this morning?

Made myself a bacon and egg mcmuffin this morning. Delish.
    Not angry, just tired of illogical ideas being use to justify broken software.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    I see the ID4 is available with a 52kW battery, surely the range is going to be very low with it? I was speccing up an ID3 and had a look at an ID4, the ID4 i looked at it 2K cheaper than the ID3!!

(Apologies if it is covered already - 131 pages and search didn't show anything)

It's aptly named "City" for a reason I guess. With the 1st, i've used the 20% 20% rule. Take 20% off for regular driving, and another 20% off for motorway driving. So the City and Style models would have more like 200km range on the motorway, less again in the rain i'd imagine.

Bjorns range test somewhat agrees. 25.1kW/100km at 120km/hr so basically 200km from a 52kWh battery.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It's aptly named "City" for a reason I guess. With the 1st, i've used the 20% 20% rule. Take 20% off for regular driving, and another 20% off for motorway driving. So the City and Style models would have more like 200km range on the motorway, less again in the rain i'd imagine.

Bjorns range test somewhat agrees. 25.1kW/100km at 120km/hr so basically 200km from a 52kWh battery.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit#gid=735351678

cheers for that.

VW website is claiming 341kms WLTP but we all know that to be absolute baulderdash. I want something closer to 400kms if i can so either larger battery ID3 or ID4. Will wait and see what the garage come back with later on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Should keep you in your lane. What do the lights on the dash say? Is the left line always flashing orange? If so you might have an issue with your camera.

Nope, the correct line flashes each time - i.e. the right hand line will flash orange, but car steers that direction.

Nope, the correct line flashes each time - i.e. the right hand line will flash orange, but car steers that direction.

That's really odd. Does it happen on main roads as well?

Might be worth ringing the dealer either way because it sounds pretty dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 omgapuppy

It's the robot uprising! :D

Considering pulling the plug on my 1st order. Getting fed up with the delays (was told a week a month ago - car's been physically somewhere in Dublin all this time) at this stage, and the charging and overall software issues reported are putting me off. Concerning given the price-point. Funny Tesla can't get paint / panel gaps right but nail the software while VW, a legacy automaker, builds solid vehicles but develops poor software.

cheers for that.

VW website is claiming 341kms WLTP but we all know that to be absolute baulderdash. I want something closer to 400kms if i can so either larger battery ID3 or ID4. Will wait and see what the garage come back with later on today.

1st edition is the best value big battery ID.4 from what I see. The other models seem to cost more money for less features.

There are other 400km+ cars coming this year, but they'll likely be very similarly priced or more; Skoda Enyaq, Nissan Aryia, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Kia 6, Ford Mach E.

If a very large boot isn't a requirement, check out the Kia e-niro. I wouldn't buy one new (for a little more money the id4 1st is better value IMO), but a second hand eNiro for low-mid 30s money would be a great buy, and does 300-400km. Bjorn doesnt have a 120km/hr test, but it'd be similar to the Kona, which is -13C wet weather is had a range of 250km. That's pretty much worst case scenarios imo.

Is it not a 58kw battery? I thought VW had 77 and 58 at the moment and a lower 48 (or was it 46?) coming? Maybe they have increased the small battery capacity to 52?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Is it not a 58kw battery? I thought VW had 77 and 58 at the moment and a lower 48 (or was it 46?) coming? Maybe they have increased the small battery capacity to 52?

IIRC the ID.4 small battery is actually smaller than the ID.3's - 52 versus 58 kWh available.

Id.3 has a small battery (4x?) a medium (58) and a large (77)
    ID.4 to date has announced a medium (52) and a large (77) only.

catharsis wrote: »
    IIRC the ID.4 small battery is actually smaller than the ID.3's - 52 versus 58 kWh available.

Id.3 has a small battery (4x?) a medium (58) and a large (77)
    ID.4 to date has announced a medium (52) and a large (77) only.

Seems mad they wouldn't just keep the battery sizes standard. Just makes everything a little more confusing.

Seems mad they wouldn't just keep the battery sizes standard. Just makes everything a little more confusing.

yeah, odd. Not like the ID4 can't fit it. Those extra 6kWh could of added another 25km - 35km, and with less battery variants it would of kept costs down.

yeah, odd. Not like the ID4 can't fit it. Those extra 6kWh could of added another 25km - 35km, and with less battery variants it would of kept costs down.

Could be to save weight either but not sure why they'd need to do that when they have one with a bigger battery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So this delayed charging is driving me nuts now.
    I tried it via the Zappi but no dice.

So I clear the Zappi schedule, and I set it up via Vehicle and the timer slots, there are 4 there.
    I ticked only one, I set the timer to charge between 12am and 8am (night rate) and when I plugged in the car the Zappi said "Delayed charge" which was fine as it was 9pm, so I expected for the charger to click in and work.
    Came out this morning, Zappi said "Charge complete", but checked the car and it didn't charge.

I've googled for the dummies guide but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

I don't have departure times set, as I'm not departing at any time.

Anything I'm missing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

The id4 isn't the quickest off they line, it's a big heavy suv at the end of the day, but it's no slouch.

Lights today I seen some audi, I think a TT, beside me and could feel he wanted to beat me off the line (2 lanes merge into 1 in a few hundred metres). No joy though, id4 blew him away. Pretty sure the gear change was what swung it.

BMW 440i had me the other day though. Wasn't much in it (in sure the car would have no bother) and he was creeping at the lights when they changed green, but still fun.

Bjorn ID.4 acceleration and noise test
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3ocqUYOEw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

yop wrote: »

So I clear the Zappi schedule, and I set it up via Vehicle and the timer slots, there are 4 there.
    I ticked only one, I set the timer to charge between 12am and 8am (night rate) and when I plugged in the car the Zappi said "Delayed charge" which was fine as it was 9pm, so I expected for the charger to click in and work.
    Came out this morning, Zappi said "Charge complete", but checked the car and it didn't charge.

I've googled for the dummies guide but for the life of me I can't get it to work.

Anything I'm missing

I gave up with timers on my ID.3, which I presume uses the same software. Cleared all my car charging schedules and just plug in when home from work (Usually after 11pm). Set limit at 80% or whatever and never had any charging problems (Until charge point packed up..:mad:) Preheat in morning if needed from App, which uses mains power if still plugged in. Simple and I am not going to think about timers until VW have it sorted which I am sure they will. Have put in complaint to VW..

Anything I'm missing

Nah, the scheduled charging is hit or miss on the id4. I'm trying to systematically figure out what makes it work, if there's a set of criteria which do work at all.

If you can program the zappi to charge the car, use that and delete the home charging location you've set in the car.

Yeah it's definitely a city hopper and not a long range driver. Considering most family SUVs seem to travel less than 50km a day then I still think it's worthwhile for the school runs

Dublin to Cork and back would be a bit of a pain, 3 charges instead of 2 and with the placement of HPCs en route you'd be relying on 50kW units :(

Yeah it's definitely a city hopper and not a long range driver. Considering most family SUVs seem to travel less than 50km a day then I still think it's worthwhile for the school runs

Dublin to Cork and back would be a bit of a pain, 3 charges instead of 2 and with the placement of HPCs en route you'd be relying on 50kW units :(

Should be fine with HPC. Ionity at Kill, the new Monesterevin hub (opening this summer I believe), Portlaoise (though I might be right in thinking the HPC is limited to 50kW still), and Ionity Cashel. Sadly no HPC in Cork yet, though I think 1 is on the cards in the future. Race is on between VW and Ecars as to who can deliver useful updates first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Looks like there might be an ID.4 GTX available from the Summer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Charged yesterday using the granny cable from about 6pm until 8am this morning. Range went from about 86KM up to about 280km. So looking at over 24 hours to charge using the granny cable.

There's a 50KW ESB charger close by me. I'll give that a go soon. Anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

I was on one of those fast chargers last week.
    i got 27kwh in 40 mins appx.
    So a full charge, from 20% to 100%, would take you around 2 hours.
    On the ESB pay as you go tariff, that would cost around €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anything I'm missing

As others have said, the VW timers dont work reliably. Disable them.

Start the charge process manually by plugging the car in when you want it to start or plug it in, stop the charge session and then later on remotely start the session via the VW app. That process will work reliably.

Nah, the scheduled charging is hit or miss on the id4. I'm trying to systematically figure out what makes it work, if there's a set of criteria which do work at all.

Disable the timers and start it manually. Then it works! :)

If you can program the zappi to charge the car, use that and delete the home charging location you've set in the car.

One caveat to that is you will need the Zappi set to "Fast" mode. If you are using "Eco+" mode the car will go to sleep and wont wake up when the Zappi tells it to start charging. Thats another bug in the code.

Advertisement