Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Charged yesterday using the granny cable from about 6pm until 8am this morning. Range went from about 86KM up to about 280km. So looking at over 24 hours to charge using the granny cable.

There's a 50KW ESB charger close by me. I'll give that a go soon. Anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge?

Granny cable provides about 2kW, so 2kWh in an hours charge. The ID.4 has a 77kWh battery, so from 0% to 100% would take ~39 hours.

The ESB units provide 50kW (some provide more) up to about 85% and it tapers off after that (hence why you'll see lots of charging times which quote going from 0-80%). To go from 0-85% (about 65kWh) that'd take approximately 90 minutes, and cost €20 in energy + a €5 overstay fee (overstay fee kicks in after 45 minutes).
    The final 15% would cost a further €7, and maybe another 30 minutes of time (i'm guessing here).

If you can install a home charger, do so. It's worth it.

KCross wrote: »

Disable the timers and start it manually. Then it works! :)

I'm aware charging off the schedule works no problem. I'm only curious to see can I figure out some more reliable way to schedule a charge. If I need the range, i'll just kick off a charge late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Should be fine with HPC. Ionity at Kill, the new Monesterevin hub (opening this summer I believe), Portlaoise (though I might be right in thinking the HPC is limited to 50kW still), and Ionity Cashel. Sadly no HPC in Cork yet, though I think 1 is on the cards in the future. Race is on between VW and Ecars as to who can deliver useful updates first.

I just went by what ABRP came up with, I could probably outsmart it with some effort

I'd imagine anyone with the smaller battery wouldn't be driving to Cork for a commute, it'd be a weekend trip whch opens up the possibility of destination charging, thus reducing the fast charges down to 2

Monasterevin would help a lot, it's reasonably well placed for a 200km range EV, a HPC closer to Cork would be ideal for going the other way

As regards who'll update first, that'll probably be the slowest race in human history :rolleyes:

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭terenurebob

Charged yesterday using the granny cable from about 6pm until 8am this morning. Range went from about 86KM up to about 280km. So looking at over 24 hours to charge using the granny cable.

There's a 50KW ESB charger close by me. I'll give that a go soon. Anyone know roughly how long it would take to charge?

The below is what I got from a 22KW Esb charger at the weekend:

"Your charging session has ended. The duration was 06:20:58 and the energy consumed was 71.194.

The cost for the energy was €19.08."

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Just received an email from the dealer to say my 1st Max is on the boat arriving this Wednesday. Fingers crosssed for no long clearance delays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Hi All,

I notice the city trim appears to be available to order now. This puts the ID4 in my price bracket. I am going to book a test drive.

Has anyone ordered a non 1st/Max trim yet? Is there much variance in on the 'on the road' price? Current lead time on order of a city trim?

Jumpa

We ordered the Style trim about 2 weeks ago, with the smaller battery. Dealer suggested it would get here maybe middle of May.

Any ID.4 1st Max in the country at all ?

Any ID.4 1st Max in the country at all ?

I heard Frank Keane VW in Liffey valley has one, but haven't confirmed

Don't think any customer ones have arrived yet

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

An ev charger company have an Instagram post today with what looks to be an 1ST Max in the background

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkNKLVnXMM/?igshid=1hrfio0k8vjdj

My 1ST is supposed to be going to production this week, is there a ‘usual’ time from this stage to getting on a boat/landing here?

dave oc wrote: »
    An ev charger company have an Instagram post today with what looks to be an 1ST Max in the background

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkNKLVnXMM/?igshid=1hrfio0k8vjdj

My 1ST is supposed to be going to production this week, is there a ‘usual’ time from this stage to getting on a boat/landing here?

Physically the max and the 1st are pretty identical. Nothing at that distance you could identify one over the other. Pano roof is the biggest difference, maybe more cameras on the windscreen too. Do the headlights look different since there matrix led?

My point is, there's no way to identify that as a max from that image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

My cost was €18 for 67 kWh. 22kWh charger but took 6 hours.

8.50 for 28kWh using 50kWh charger. Took 45 minutes.

Battery was 65% and probably wasn't that hot. Cold outside but I drove average 105km per hour for 1 hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

How do I schedule charging for ID4?

I have a charger at home. What I do in plug it in and it starts to charge straight away. I cancel it on my app.

At midnight, I start the charging from my app. I Don't have to go outside in the cold and wet but it's a pain to have to wait up to start charging from the app.

Be great to schedule charging from car or app.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Physically the max and the 1st are pretty identical. Nothing at that distance you could identify one over the other. Pano roof is the biggest difference, maybe more cameras on the windscreen too. Do the headlights look different since there matrix led?

It's got the Max 21" alloys. Although I guess they could have been optioned on a 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

It was the alloy design that I picked up on, they look like the wheels from the Max and I don’t think there is a way to spec them for the 1ST.

Summer8181 wrote: »
    How do I schedule charging for ID4?

I have a charger at home. What I do in plug it in and it starts to charge straight away. I cancel it on my app.

At midnight, I start the charging from my app. I Don't have to go outside in the cold and wet but it's a pain to have to wait up to start charging from the app.

Be great to schedule charging from car or app.

You can set a scheduled charge in the car. Vehicle - locations - add charging location. It's very much broken though and very much unreliable. Try it out, then make a complaint to VW so they're more and more aware it's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Summer8181 wrote: »
    My cost was €18 for 67 kWh. 22kWh charger but took 6 hours.

8.50 for 28kWh using 50kWh charger. Took 45 minutes.

Battery was 65% and probably wasn't that hot. Cold outside but I drove average 105km per hour for 1 hour.

Why were you charging for 6 hours at a 22kW charger?

cannco253 wrote: »
    Why were you charging for 6 hours at a 22kW charger?

To increase his range? :confused:

Why not? Those AC units are there to be used for hours and hours. Like while you work, or go around the shops, or spend an eternity in IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

To increase his range? :confused:

Why not? Those AC units are there to be used for hours and hours. Like while you work, or go around the shops, or spend an eternity in IKEA.

Surely other people want to use them too? I was going to ask the question earlier as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Surely other people want to use them too? I was going to ask the question earlier as well

That's why there are normally 2 ports on them.

Black Knight is right. That's what they're there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

That's why there are normally 2 ports on them.

Black Knight is right. That's what they're there for.

Is it not the case that most only have different types of ports? There's 3 on one near me but I think I can only use one of them

• Advertisement

Is it not the case that most only have different types of ports? There's 3 on one near me but I think I can only use one of them

The triple head units are high power units. You can use the CCS plug on it, and technically the AC43 plug, but you'll only get 11kW from it, and an overstay fee after 45 minutes, so just use the CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

You're confusing AC and DC charge points.

The 22kW units are AC (no cables on them) and are meant to be used for hours at a time.
    a.k.a Destination charge points.

The 50kW+ DC units (triple heads with cables hanging off them) are meant to be used for "short" blasts primarily for when you are on the road and cant be hanging around for hours to get a charge to get to your destination.

6 hours of potentially free parking as well depending on where it is, though not all 22kW chargers are near shops/work/train stations or have free parking attached.

If you were regularly spending 6 hours on ecars you'd be better off signing up to the membership option.

Will ecars ever think about increasing the overstay fee, so say you get charged the initial Eur4.60 for the first hour or two, and then an additional overstay fee after 2+ subsequent hours? If everyone stayed 6 hours at these charge points it would seriously decrease availability for those who need them. It sounds like the current overstay fee isn't having the impact it was meant to have, ecars don't really care as they are getting paid for power consumption and not by number of users.

I guess there's no right answer to this apart from more fast and high power chargers especially for people who can't charge at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Down South wrote: »
    Just received an email from the dealer to say my 1st Max is on the boat arriving this Wednesday. Fingers crosssed for no long clearance delays.

When did you order yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

6 hours of potentially free parking as well depending on where it is, though not all 22kW chargers are near shops/work/train stations or have free parking attached.

If you were regularly spending 6 hours on ecars you'd be better off signing up to the membership option.

Will ecars ever think about increasing the overstay fee, so say you get charged the initial Eur4.60 for the first hour or two, and then an additional overstay fee after 2+ subsequent hours? If everyone stayed 6 hours at these charge points it would seriously decrease availability for those who need them. It sounds like the current overstay fee isn't having the impact it was meant to have, ecars don't really care as they are getting paid for power consumption and not by number of users.

I guess there's no right answer to this apart from more fast and high power chargers especially for people who can't charge at home.

AC chargers often called standard chargers or destination chargers are chargers where there is no overstay and it is acceptable to be charging for hours. You have to be careful with the parking rules though and if possible to move when full. (sometimes this won't be practical. Hotels/ park & ride facilities etc).

There is one exception to the AC and that is the AC43kW which is on the triple chargers from ecars. They are considered Rapid chargers (a small fraction of Zoes can charge at that speed)
    Another rule which is valid almost all the time is that if the cable is provided then it is a rapid and overstay is applied.

The truth is that you can install multiple 22kW units for the price of a single 50kW one, espically if you load balance them to fit within a smaller grid connection

In numbers, AC units are likely always going to vastly outnumber DC ones as they're suited to destination/work/shared parking

So I don't see an issue with someone using one for 6 hours if they're charging. There were instances of people plugging in and not charging to get some free parking, I think there needs to be more supervision of that or simply remove free parking to discourage it

I agree that the AC units will outnumber DC ones, but the problem is there aren't enough AC units in certain parts of the country never mind 50kW. I know ecars are upgrading older units, but I don't see many new units being installed. Maybe things will speed up now that some Level 5 restrictions are being lifted.

I agree that the AC units will outnumber DC ones, but the problem is there aren't enough AC units in certain parts of the country never mind 50kW. I know ecars are upgrading older units, but I don't see many new units being installed. Maybe things will speed up now that some Level 5 restrictions are being lifted.

Ecars have said they have no plans to add any more AC units in Ireland.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116290428&postcount=3202

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

gear_ie wrote: »
    When did you order yours?

Early December I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Son of Flicka

Does anyone know if the brake lights come on when you are slowing down using regenerative braking in one pedal driving? I am presuming they do.

Advertisement