Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yup. When I registered I picked the free plan and then the next time I logged into the app I was on the top one.

When you say "top one" do you mean the top by best price or top by location on screen?

ie. when you logged back into the app are you on the We Charge Free plan or something better (for 0 monthly payments)?

Saves me trying those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I was literally about to post that video, you beat me to it :)

Bit of waffle from Bob in a few places, but I like how he immediately went after the whole "batteries can't be recycled" myth with the footage from the VW recycling plant

I think he's pretty much spot on regarding public charging, it's coming on a long way but there's still a level of hassle which needs to be gotten rid of before it's as easy as filling a petrol car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

The send location to vehicle from the map in the app just won't work for me at all

Got in the car this afternoon and a message flashed up saying a destination had been sent. Hours and 2 trips after I sent it ha :pac:

Still a few bugs to sort out but that will be an extremely useful feature for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Bit of waffle from Bob in a few places

Totally unlike him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not a fan of his videos but i have to say its a fine looking motor the ID4

surely must attract a lot of drivers of other cross overs if they can get their head around driving an EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

I was literally about to post that video, you beat me to it :)

Bit of waffle from Bob in a few places, but I like how he immediately went after the whole "batteries can't be recycled" myth with the footage from the VW recycling plant

I think he's pretty much spot on regarding public charging, it's coming on a long way but there's still a level of hassle which needs to be gotten rid of before it's as easy as filling a petrol car

Nice filming Bob, I think he has just discovered the Perpetual Motion Machine when he says he puts back in the energy when descending that he used ascending..:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

eagerv wrote: »
    Nice filming Bob, I think he has just discovered the Perpetual Motion Machine when he says he puts back in the energy when descending that he used ascending..:pac:

his EV knowledge is pretty scant for a car journalist.

Cyrus wrote: »
    his EV knowledge is pretty scant for a car journalist.

Annoyingly as general car journalists go he's actually fairly knowledgable, most of them don't seem to bother charging the cars they review and complain they have no battery

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »

He'd do well in the Toyota marketing department :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Latest response from We Connect Support

Dear xyz,
    Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

First of all, we would like to apologise for any inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.

As we have mentioned in our previous reply the price for charging may differ from country to country based on its legally added VAT. In each country the regulations for charging stations vary, and thus may affect the price.

For more information about the charging prices please check the link bellow:

volkswagen.ie/en/electric-cars/charging/we-charge.html

Scroll down to the We Charge charging plans where you can find public charging stations, special prices and offers exclusive for Volkswagen ID owners. In We Charge Free, We Charge Go and We Charge Plus there are three charging plans.

Please note that in IONITY stations there is a fixed charging fee per charging session.

Furthermore, for charging on the go, you can find price information in the charging station details.

We would like to thank you for your kind cooperation and immense patience.

For further clarifications, we remain at your disposal by replying to this e-mail, or by calling our direct line 0800 – 279 750 8 (around the clock, 7 days a week). If you choose to call us, please indicate your case reference 0000704140, for a quick follow-up.

We wish you always safe and pleasant journeys with your ID.4!

Yours faithfully,
    Your Digital Service Team

I have to say I never saw the website they mention before, it ties in with the prices in the app...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

When ye go into your app and go to plan overview what shows up there? Did ye have to pick a plan?

gods, no, that would be great but I see the following

9xmeqzq
    https://imgur.com/a/9xmeqzq

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

https://web.archive.org/web/20200925084526/https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/electric-cars/charging/we-charge.html

TL:DR Volkswagen Ireland website included an explicit reference to the free We Charge GO subscription in September 2020 but this was taken down sometime before 5 Dec 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

That might be what happened to the We charge website, but those changes were not made to some of the dealer websites.
    The website of the dealer I bought my car from is still showing the reduced rates and there are some other examples of dealers showing the same info.

It could be that the dealers weren't told about the changes, or were just too lazy/don't know how to update their own websites. Either way I bought the car from a dealer displaying this information and you could argue that had some influence on my purchase decision. I'm sure there will be something about website errors but it's poor that the official line differs to the local dealers.

Given how high profile they made the ID.4 launch, you would think they would have all their ducks in a row...

I'll keep digging....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Just in case you really want to be annoyed by VW Ireland. Looks like in VW Germany they have much cheaper monthly rates for We Charge. (care of redcup342)
    It's only €9.99 per month for We Charge Plus instead of the €17.49 they charge here. They can't explain that away by quoting VAT rates.

https://www.volkswagen.de/de/konnektivitaet-und-mobilitaetsdienste/mobility-services/we-charge.html

liamog wrote: »
    Just in case you really want to be annoyed by VW Ireland. Looks like in VW Germany they have much cheaper monthly rates for We Charge. (care of redcup342)
    It's only €9.99 per month for We Charge Plus instead of the €17.49 they charge here. They can't explain that away by quoting VAT rates.

https://www.volkswagen.de/de/konnektivitaet-und-mobilitaetsdienste/mobility-services/we-charge.html

Yeah that's the same deal that was in Ireland until last year, it got removed without explanation, hence the current email war

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah that's the same deal that was in Ireland until last year, it got removed without explanation, hence the current email war

I wonder could you use the anti geo-blocking rules https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/geo-blocking

My interpretation is that VW Ireland are allowed to charge you a different price, however you cannot be blocked from purchasing the service from VW Germany. You may end up need to go to the European Consumer Centre for resolution https://www.eccireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

cannco253 wrote: »
    Anyone notice that when you connect to car play with an iphone and open google maps, the turn by turn instructions don't appear on the driver cockpit screen. Apple maps displays the directions no problem, as does Plugshare. ABRP is premium on car play so I can't try it as I don't have premium.

Is this a common 'feature' with car play/ios and google maps as I haven't had car play before?

On our Golf R and e-Golf, neither Google Maps nor Apple Maps displayed the directions on the Active Info display (while the in-built sat nav did), only on the main CarPlay screen. On our ID.3 (presuming similar or same for ID.4), Apple Maps (as you said) displays on both the cockpit screen and the HUD, but doesn't trigger the IQ light nor the augmented directional arrows that the in-built sat nav provides. For Google Maps, as you said, it doesn't display the directions anywhere but the main CarPlay screen.

forumdedum wrote: »
    Just saw that myself. I'm used to that now on my Tiguan

It's also why we went with the ID.4 Style - smaller battery but better basic kit. including the reversing camera. The equivalent with the 77kWh battery was the Business spec but it was 10k more. We're replacing the e-Golf with it and the range was fine for us on that, so we figured it'll be fine on this also.

• Advertisement

Can the car, and android auto be used without the in car mobile internet plan?

I'd like to be able to just use my phones hotspot as internet for the car, but wireless android auto means i've to use the in car wi-fi - can that in car wifi be using my phones hotspot? Does my phones hotspot just "repeat" the wifi it's connected to (ie. the cars wi-fi and thus the cars mobile broadband)?

I typically use my phones hotspot for the kids tablets etc, and the plans offered wouldn't last very long if they had to connect to the cars wifi.

liamog wrote: »
    I wonder could you use the anti geo-blocking rules https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/geo-blocking

My interpretation is that VW Ireland are allowed to charge you a different price, however you cannot be blocked from purchasing the service from VW Germany. You may end up need to go to the European Consumer Centre for resolution https://www.eccireland.ie/

Hmm, yeah I might look more into that

I tried changing my postal address to Germany (VW headquarters, just to confuse them) but the app still showed full price

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hmm, yeah I might look more into that

I tried changing my postal address to Germany (VW headquarters, just to confuse them) but the app still showed full price

Can you sign up on the website? Maybe try a VPN?

Can the car, and android auto be used without the in car mobile internet plan?

I'd like to be able to just use my phones hotspot as internet for the car, but wireless android auto means i've to use the in car wi-fi - can that in car wifi be using my phones hotspot? Does my phones hotspot just "repeat" the wifi it's connected to (ie. the cars wi-fi and thus the cars mobile broadband)?

I typically use my phones hotspot for the kids tablets etc, and the plans offered wouldn't last very long if they had to connect to the cars wifi.

Hmm.... not too sure about Android Auto - for Wireless CarPlay, it seems to hook via Bluetooth (that's all I connected the phone with to the car headunit, just a Bluetooth pairing) and I am sure I am using my iPhone's mobile data while using CarPlay for navigation, music etc. So, from that perspective, it doesn't seem to be using the car's data connection (I am on the free data plan with Cubic Telecom and hardly used any of the 1GB so far).

Wait, misread your second bit, sorry. :)

If Wireless Android Auto is using a wifi connection (and Bluetooth it seems) to display on the car main screen, I guess it also means that the car's data connection is being used, as you cannot have wifi connected to the phone AND mobile data at the same time. :( I'll give it a try with my Android phone this weekend, will report back here what I find if you don't already find out beforehand.

Can you sign up on the website? Maybe try a VPN?

Tried a VPN to Germany but no luck :(

I'm trying to remember if I set my country when signing up for a VW account, doesn't seem to be an easy way to change region

I got a support email for Elli, the parent company of We Charge, I might try emailing them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

eko wrote: »
    It's also why we went with the ID.4 Style - smaller battery but better basic kit. including the reversing camera. The equivalent with the 77kWh battery was the Business spec but it was 10k more. We're replacing the e-Golf with it and the range was fine for us on that, so we figured it'll be fine on this also.

Been looking at the style too. 10k for the extra battery size and horsepower is very saucey and hard to justify. It's also a pity you can't add the electric tailgate as an extra.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Been looking at the style too. 10k for the extra battery size and horsepower is very saucey and hard to justify. It's also a pity you can't add the electric tailgate as an extra.

Better to have the range than want it, get the largest battery you can afford.

You still get up to 100 Kw charging but the car is very heavy so I suggest you test drive one of the 148 Hp cars first especially on the motorway, for pottering around or off the motorway mostly then I'm sure 148 Hp is fine.

Yeah it's a pity VW don't allow you pick options only trims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Better to have the range than want it, get the largest battery you can afford.

You still get up to 100 Kw charging but the car is very heavy so I suggest you test drive one of the 148 Hp cars first especially on the motorway, for pottering around or off the motorway mostly then I'm sure 148 Hp is fine.

Yeah it's a pity VW don't allow you pick options only trims.

It's my father having the look at it. He would definitely prefer a bigger battery although not essential for his needs. A nicer spec would probably be more important to him than a large battery. He usually buys high spec automatics, and his drive to work is 6km round trip. If the 77 wasn't 10k more he'd definitely go for it though. They have a second car which is a diesel in the household already so have long distance covered.

He enquired about a test drive and was told not during restrictions.

• Advertisement

Jofspring wrote: »
    It's my father having the look at it. He would definitely prefer a bigger battery although not essential for his needs. A nicer spec would probably be more important to him than a large battery. He usually buys high spec automatics, and his drive to work is 6km round trip. If the 77 wasn't 10k more he'd definitely go for it though. They have a second car which is a diesel in the household already so have long distance covered.

He enquired about a test drive and was told not during restrictions.

Well that's just wrong. Go to a different dealer if that one isn't interest. I had my test drive about 3 weeks ago, no bother, can sanitised, test drove it alone. It was lovely.

If he doesn't need the range then yeah, it's a nice spec. The city and style specs are for just that. The city, and for showing a bit of style. Not for long distances.

The skoda enyaq will allow more customisation, though I'd be confident it doesn't have as much value at the id4.

Advertisement