Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

With a 500km range and at that price point I really can’t see why anyone shouldn’t buy an ID.4 next year over any Tiguan/Passat or the likes. It just doesn’t make sense.

I can see a massive, massive change towards electric next year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

L-M wrote: »
    With a 500km range and at that price point I really can’t see why anyone shouldn’t buy an ID.4 next year over any Tiguan/Passat or the likes. It just doesn’t make sense.

I can see a massive, massive change towards electric next year

To be fair, the range is probably closer to 350km, but yes, can't see why anyone would bother buying an ICE suv now

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »
    https://electrek.co/2020/10/01/leaked-vw-id-4-dealer-document/

"A dealer cheat sheet for the upcoming VW ID.4 electric SUV has been leaked, and it shows that the company considers gas SUVs, rather than electric SUVs like the Mustang Mach-E, Tesla Model Y, and upcoming Nissan Ariya, as its direct competitors."

Is the "pro" in the US like the Max here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

To be fair, the range is probably closer to 350km, but yes, can't see why anyone would bother buying an ICE suv now

I doubt it would be 350km for “most”’ people’s driving. On a week to week basis very few would do more than 500 a week, never mind in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There's one simple reason: price.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

No one I know is in any way shape or form interested in buying an EV.

Diesel is too cheap so why would anyone inconvenience themselves with public chargers even if they only need them occasionally. Most People are willing to shell out 50+ euro's a week for Diesel.

And some people won't charge energy provider year on year, or don't see a mortgage cash back offer as being worse value than a lower interest rate. Initial cost/savings is what most people see, not longer term.

I've been "inconvenienced" by public charging once in the last 8 months. A 16 minute inconvenience, which has saved me 100s over that time. As I say to anyone half interested in EVs, do the math. It's unbiased.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

No one I know is in any way shape or form interested in buying an EV.

Given your general negative attitude to EVs without REXs I'm not surprised, you seem to have a warped view of the inconvenience of the rapid charging network, no doubt this view has impacted the opinions of people in your circle.

Most people I know are of the opinion that their next car will be an EV, but they are not ready to make the change yet. Models like the ID.4 and Enyaq are going a long way towards resolving the EV choice problem, I suspect we'll see high demand for them in 3 years when they come off their initial PCPs.

liamog wrote: »
    Given your general negative attitude to EVs without REXs I'm not surprised, you seem to have a warped view of the inconvenience of the rapid charging network, no doubt this view has impacted the opinions of people in your circle.

Most people I know are of the opinion that their next car will be an EV, but they are not ready to make the change yet. Models like the ID.4 and Enyaq are going a long way towards resolving the EV choice problem, I suspect we'll see high demand for them in 3 years when they come off their initial PCPs.

On the contrary, I'm always promoting electric cars. I do not lie to People if they ask me a question though if that's being negative then I couldn't care less.

Fact charging for 30+ mins is very inconvenient in the minds of many People, just because it's unimaginable to some BEV owners here doesn't mean those People haven't got a clue, if it doesn't work for them it doesn't work.

One visitor to work this week, he couldn't be convinced no matter what I would have said. He can get 700 Kms in his Diesel and he went to Kerry a couple of weeks ago and drove non stop so what can I do about it ? try convince him EV is great and charging is brilliant ? I couldn't care less any more all I can do is just explain how I live with an EV and that's it, I'm not going to push it down their throats that it's great just because I drive EV or whatever you want to call it.

There's no denying that charging is inconvenient when you need it, no matter how ofter or not you need it if the charger is busy etc etc. It's just ridiculous saying otherwise, if there were a lot more chargers around I may say otherwise. Now add to this cold battery charging is also inconveniently adding more time onto charging.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's a balance thing, if we take ev-database's real world estimate of 380km for the ID.4, then charging for 30 mins is something you'll do after 3 hours of driving. Let's face it, there just aren't that many people doing regular >300km journeys to make that an insufferable delay.
    If your man is doing a trip to Kerry once a year, and has to charge once on the way down and again on the way up, he's lost an hour of time, but gained many more than that by never having to go to a petrol station.

• Advertisement

It's a balance thing, if we take ev-database's real world estimate of 380km for the ID.4, then charging for 30 mins is something you'll do after 3 hours of driving. Let's face it, there just aren't that many people doing regular >300km journeys to make that an insufferable delay.
    If your man is doing a trip to Kerry once a year, and has to charge once on the way down and again on the way up, he's lost an hour of time, but gained many more than that by never having to go to a petrol station.

In fairness, he couldn't care less about going to a Petrol station, most drivers have been doing this all their lives.

300 kms is grand and all that but when you need the network it's either in use, queue or no chargers. When you're away from home is when you need it the most.

In fairness, he couldn't care less about going to a Petrol station, most drivers have been doing this all their lives.

300 kms is grand and all that but when you need the network it's either in use, queue or no chargers. When you're away from home is when you need it the most.

But can you guarantee that?

But can you guarantee that?

Guarantee what ?

Guarantee what ?

That when I need the network it'll be in use or broken.

I must have clicked into the eCars thread by accident ;)

Just kidding of course, we're getting a tad off topic

Out of interest, are you capturing snapshots of which chargers are occupied when you scrape the data. I know it's anecdotal but whenever I look at the eCars map these days there seems to be lots of availability on the ComboCCS chargers.
    I must have clicked into the eCars thread by accident ;)

Just kidding of course, we're getting a tad off topic

Didn't you hear, the ID.4 is going to be a massive fail because of that one time a year yer man needs to drive to Kerry.

Didn't you hear, the ID.4 is going to be a massive fail because of that one time a year yer man needs to drive to Kerry.

He'll have to get the Haely Rae's to come help him push his EV the last bit of the way :D

Unfortunately there's a sizeable chunk of the population who believe that a vehicle which caters to 99% of their needs is insufficient because of a fairly minor inconvenience during the other 1% of their driving.

I do agree with Mad_lad to an extent that the fast charging network needs to be improved before I'd be happy relying on it every day, we've talked the topic to death multiple times on boards.

But I don't think it's totally useless, there's only been one time when I had to wait for a significant amount of time for the charger to become available. 50% of the time the chargers are free and the rest of the times I was waiting about 10 mins Max

Part of the problem I think is people's attitude towards driving. There's a lot of folks who seem to treat every road trip as a race and try to arrive at their destination as quickly as possible. I can understand that viewpoint if you're a mobile worker or delivery man or something, but why stress yourself for weekend journeys?

That's one of the reasons I prefer driving long distance with an EV. I think the quieter ride removes some of the stress and let's you appreciate the journey more.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that the ID.4 could probably make it to Kerry on a single charge from most of Ireland. Certainly it'd make it from Dublin in one go :D

Out of interest, are you capturing snapshots of which chargers are occupied when you scrape the data. I know it's anecdotal but whenever I look at the eCars map these days there seems to be lots of availability on the ComboCCS chargers.

No. I didn't want to go hammering their API unannounced. I query their API for every charger (somewhat dumbly) a few times a day. If someone wanted I'll gladly query a single (or handful) charge point every 5 minutes and put some data together for a few months.

I do agree with Mad_lad to an extent that the fast charging network needs to be improved before I'd be happy relying on it every day, we've talked the topic to death multiple times on boards.

It's not good enough for me yet and I don't rely on it Daily or weekly or any time really with the Rex but it's when I'm away on that weekend trip that I need it the most and it's unreliable with only 1-2 DC charger in most towns that have a charger outside of Dublin.

Limerick has only 2 x 50 Kw chargers ffs, ridiculous, 1x 50 KW for all of Kerry, Cork has 3 x 50 Kw, Galway has 2, then there is the West in General with very few chargers especially along the coast and they're all 50 Kw not great for cars that can charge at higher rates.

Naas 1x 50 Kw

Kildare, the most Populated county outside Dublin has a total of 4 X DC chargers......

I'm not trying to be funny but we got a very long way to go and it will be a long way with the ESB in charge of the national network.

I will say though that at this point in time if I do go back to BEV only with the extra range of a modern EV I will live without the Rex and just take the Diesel Outlander for the rest as I expect most People will do with 2 cars at home.

No. I didn't want to go hammering their API unannounced. I query their API for every charger (somewhat dumbly) a few times a day. If someone wanted I'll gladly query a single (or handful) charge point every 5 minutes and put some data together for a few months.

I'm not sure I'd worry about that, presumably querying every chargers status is what the app does. Checking every few minutes would be equivalent to someone sitting on the app all day

I wonder is there a 'get all available' api call that could be useful?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I'd worry about that, presumably querying every chargers status is what the app does. Checking every few minutes would be equivalent to someone sitting on the app all day

I wonder is there a 'get all available' api call that could be useful?

If I get time I'll take another look, or see what calls the app is making using Charles proxy or something.

If I get time I'll take another look, or see what calls the app is making using Charles proxy or something.

Had a look. Got the data, just need to think about how to gather it so I can get the best out of it and visualise it

Well, just took the plunge and put down a deposit on the ID.4 1st Max
    Decided not to risk the yellow in the end and went for the dark blue :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Best of luck with it. Probably a good idea if you are set on it. They have sold out in the USA, and that's before MKBHD review is even out

Well done, can't wait for some pics. PCP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

What kind of deposit are Volkswagen.ie looking for - anything like the EUR 1,000 refundable reservation fee for the ID.3 ?

Well done, can't wait for some pics. PCP ?

Yeah, PCP with max deposit. It's still not in their finance system, nor is the series model ID.3, but they know the rates and everything so can work out the monthly payment by hand.

I've been told that changes can be made up to the point where the car starts being built. So I can downgrade to a base 1st in the next couple of weeks if the rates don't look good.

I'll be sure to post some pics before I cover the car in scratches :D

cannco253 wrote: »
    What kind of deposit are Volkswagen.ie looking for - anything like the EUR 1,000 refundable reservation fee for the ID.3 ?

So it's build to order, so the deposit isn't refundable as VW are effectively building the car for me. This is basically the same as when all the ID.3 owners ordered their cars and transferred over their booking deposits

I brought up the topic with the salesman of what happens if I cancel and he said they'd try to sort something out where the deposit could be transferred to a new order or something.

Davy wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. Probably a good idea if you are set on it. They have sold out in the USA, and that's before MKBHD review is even out

True, it's the car I definitely want, and it's in high demand, which is the absolute worst combination for my finances.

I think it sold out in a day in the US. To be fair, the allocation for the US was something like 1500 units, so quite easy to see how it sold out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

How did you do this - I registered on the VW website ages ago but have heard nothing back... did you deal direct with a dealer?

Advertisement