Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Bit of an unexpected trip today so used the local fast charger (a loose term, as I'll explain). About 50% battery, cold battery, but only 39kW coming from the 50kW unit. ~36 kW into the car. Got what I needed but 39kW was depressing. Given the 350V battery pack I think 44kW is the max I can expect from the 50kW unit.

What's the current rating on those chargers? If the pack voltage is low then you might get limited by the maximum current on the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What's the current rating on those chargers? If the pack voltage is low then you might get limited by the maximum current on the charger

125A on the circontrol raption 50 units anyways. Didn't check the spec of the triplets but I'd assume it's the same.

Car at 22% charge now and evnotify says 346V battery pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

forestgirl wrote: »
    I was behind an id3 in traffic the other day was great to be so close to get a look.I have had a good look at the id4 a couple of weeks ago in a garage where they seem to be plentiful and I was amazed because I have yet to see one on the road but I suppose that will happen over the next few weeks.
    Will the id6 be coming to Ireland and when does anyone know
    The id4 looks like a decent size car definitely roomy

Lots of ID3s around there's a good few locally. I've seen a few ID4s on the road and in car parks. Seem similar to a Tiguan.

I'd say the 1.9% is really helping VW shift those cars, that and they look more like normal cars and with good range and charge times, if you can find a high power charger that is.

Bit of an unexpected trip today so used the local fast charger (a loose term, as I'll explain). About 50% battery, cold battery, but only 39kW coming from the 50kW unit. ~36 kW into the car. Got what I needed but 39kW was depressing. Given the 350V battery pack I think 44kW is the max I can expect from the 50kW unit.

Get the app Bjorn uses for checking battery temp and the battery heater.

A cold battery will be a limiting factor.

• Advertisement

Get the app Bjorn uses for checking battery temp and the battery heater.

A cold battery will be a limiting factor.

Have it, but sure as I say I only left the house and went to the local charger to add a few kWh before a spin down west (ish) Cork. 11kWh to be precise. Barely needed it in the end tbh, but better have it than need it. Clonality unit was in use on our spin back home. Did the weekly shop at lidl when we got home and sure enough 2 squatters (ie. Park, plug in and walk away) grabbing as much free juice as they could. Busy day on the charging front. Must check the stats

125A on the circontrol raption 50 units anyways. Didn't check the spec of the triplets but I'd assume it's the same.

Car at 22% charge now and evnotify says 346V battery pack

Yeah 44kW sounds like the max we'll be getting out of a 50kW unit, coupled with the high SoC and colder battery at the start then that'll probably bring you down below 40kW

Yeah 44kW sounds like the max we'll be getting out of a 50kW unit, coupled with the high SoC and colder battery at the start then that'll probably bring you down below 40kW

Sure look, 400km range. Be grand with the odd public charge. Curious to try out the 150kW unit next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

KCross wrote: »
    Just to clarify, basic self driving would usually be considered active cruise control and lane keep assist.

Travel assist enhances lane keep assist to lane following assist where it will stay in the centre of the lane but every model should have the basic ACC and LKAS... at least the ID.3s do.

So, paying the extra for LFA is down to how much you value that enhancement. Travel Assist adds some other extras too.

It appears from descriptions of the ID3 and my experiences in the ID.4 1st that the ID4 has even less basic lane keeping functionality than the ID3. I would need to check with an ID.3 owner to be sure.

My ID.4 does not self steer at all, it will (I believe via the brakes) jerk me back from the edge of the lane or road if I am drifting off, but if I left my hands off the wheel there would be no real reason to believe I would not drive straight on even if the motorway only very gently curved.

This is not the absence of lane centering, to me this is the absence of any lane following at all.

Are others experiencing the same? Is the ID.3 the same? I was led to believe the ID.3 had what I would describe as LKAS if not LFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

catharsis wrote: »
    .... jerk me back from the edge of the lane or road if I am drifting off,

That’s VWs LKAS. It just gives you a nudge if you cross the white line. If you want LFA you need VWs Travel Assist.

ID3 and ID4 are the same.

• Advertisement

catharsis wrote: »
    It appears from descriptions of the ID3 and my experiences in the ID.4 1st that the ID4 has even less basic lane keeping functionality than the ID3. I would need to check with an ID.3 owner to be sure.

My ID.4 does not self steer at all, it will (I believe via the brakes) jerk me back from the edge of the lane or road if I am drifting off, but if I left my hands off the wheel there would be no real reason to believe I would not drive straight on even if the motorway only very gently curved.

This is not the absence of lane centering, to me this is the absence of any lane following at all.

Are others experiencing the same? Is the ID.3 the same? I was led to believe the ID.3 had what I would describe as LKAS if not LFA.

My id4 has pulled me back to the middle of the road, and if I'm not mistaken it has broke and steered to avoid hitting a parked car in front of me (cars littered on the side of the road/footpaths in an estate with little room between them).
    Certainly didn't feel like the brakes were doing it, certainly felt like the steering wheel did it.

A guy on YouTube did a pretty good demo of lane assist versus travel assist

https://youtu.be/U_Iz0JJIISs

TLDR the lane assist will try to keep the car from crossing over the line, so it'll sit on top of the line. It won't autocorrect back to the center of the lane

Travel assist will try to keep the car in the center of the lane and is much smoother, however you will need to intervene at a sharp corner

I believe all ID cars have lane assist since it's required to get a 5 star NCAP rating these days. Travel assist is only on the higher spec cars

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Spotted a taxi ID.4 yesterday in Cork:)

A guy on YouTube did a pretty good demo of lane assist versus travel assist

https://youtu.be/U_Iz0JJIISs

TLDR the lane assist will try to keep the car from crossing over the line, so it'll sit on top of the line. It won't autocorrect back to the center of the lane

Travel assist will try to keep the car in the center of the lane and is much smoother, however you will need to intervene at a sharp corner

I believe all ID cars have lane assist since it's required to get a 5 star NCAP rating these days. Travel assist is only on the higher spec cars

Annoyingly, the car with lane assist will still complain at you if you're not in the middle of the lane, but won't correct your position for you. So it knows, but you didn't pay for travel assist so screw you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Have it, but sure as I say I only left the house and went to the local charger to add a few kWh before a spin down west (ish) Cork. 11kWh to be precise. Barely needed it in the end tbh, but better have it than need it. Clonality unit was in use on our spin back home. Did the weekly shop at lidl when we got home and sure enough 2 squatters (ie. Park, plug in and walk away) grabbing as much free juice as they could. Busy day on the charging front. Must check the stats

Hehe....first the car, then the Ooni.....and to add to the copy and paste we were down in Clonakilty yesterday too! Used to use that Clon unit when I had my 24kWh Leaf....no need these days! Cobh to Clon (via ferry, Fivemile, Ballinhassig) 11% battery used - not bad. Spin overall was ~15.5kWh/100km, average across ~1800km to date is ~18kWh/100km which includes a reasonable amount of high speed running.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

Spotted a taxi ID.4 yesterday in Cork:)

Spotted 2 in Dublin, a white one and a grey one

vicM wrote: »
    Spotted 2 in Dublin, a white one and a grey one

You're a lot more eagle eyes then me, I've only seen the one and that's the dealership car

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I've seen about 4 of them in the wild outside of my own, 1 white, 1 grey and at least 2 other blues. Seems to be a lot of them around Dublin South West.

Hehe....first the car, then the Ooni.....and to add to the copy and paste we were down in Clonakilty yesterday too! Used to use that Clon unit when I had my 24kWh Leaf....no need these days! Cobh to Clon (via ferry, Fivemile, Ballinhassig) 11% battery used - not bad. Spin overall was ~15.5kWh/100km, average across ~1800km to date is ~18kWh/100km which includes a reasonable amount of high speed running.

giphy.gif

Actually went down to union hall.... rineen woods. Fairly good on consumption, but no 15.5kWh. Think our long term consumption is ~20kWh/100km.

Little update on charging. I noticed when I connect up evnotify the car, I assume, wakes up and starts charging again. Had to do it 2-3 times this morning to get the car charging again (pretty much a complete failure of a charge overnight). Thinking of setting evnotify up on an old phone and leaving it in the car overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

My id4 has pulled me back to the middle of the road, and if I'm not mistaken it has broke and steered to avoid hitting a parked car in front of me (cars littered on the side of the road/footpaths in an estate with little room between them).
    Certainly didn't feel like the brakes were doing it, certainly felt like the steering wheel did it.

I was thinking of a similar scenario the other day. I'd put on my indicator to go round the parked cars and wondered what would have happened if I didn't, as the lane assist had a lock on the markings in the middle of the road

• Advertisement

Looks like we've got our buddy Chris on the charging timers issue.

https://youtu.be/d8mugXE0SoY

VW seem to be paying attention to what the YouTubers are saying so hopefully it'll get sorted out soon enough

It'd be nice if there was a log file somewhere on the car we could access and even send to VW for review, it'd make their lives easier debugging the issue

You know, like every other software company out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Just wondering how much it costs to charge ID 4 at home please?

I would like to compare running costs of ID 4 to my current diesel per 100km if possible? I drive just over 500 km per week.

Service costs are less over life of EV?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Have seen a couple of ID 4’s around Naas lately. One today had very impressive large alloys. Probably a costly option.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

baby fish wrote: »

I would like to compare running costs of ID 4 to my current diesel per 100km if possible? I drive just over 500 km per week.

Thanks

About €6 from 0-100%.

77KW * €0.07 * 1.1 to allow for charging losses.

Thanks

Depends on your electricity costs and whether you have night rate or not but lets say you paid the same as me at night which is 7.4 Cent per Kwh. The id.4 has 78 usable Kwh so from completely empty to full would cost around 5 Euro 77 cent + 10% for charging losses = around 6 Euro 34 Cent.

That would take you around 300-400 Kms. So no question, diesel doesn't come close to this.

Thanks

I've a calculator over here if you want to do some estimation

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058147000

But to give some quick answers, at cheapest night rate (5.23c/kWh) it'll cost about €4 to fill the 77kWh battery from empty to full

Another way of looking at it, assuming an average consumption of 22.5kWh/100km, that gives a cost of €1.17 per 100km, or €0.0117 per km

Compared to a diesel car using 4l/100km, at €1.36 per litre that'll cost €5.44 per 100km, or €0.0544 per km

Service costs are dramatically lower, there are no consumables to change every year in an EV. ID cars have a service interval of 2 years, unlimited mileage

Another way to look at the cost of charging with real life example is this, I consumed, according to the BMW app in April 666 Kwh, Night time charging would mean this would cost me 54 Euro's to drive from Carlow to Dublin 5days a week + pottering around mileage, roughly 840 Kms a week sometimes more sometimes less.

Work charging means with the BMW i3 that is cut in half roughly because I have to charge at home, but when I get the id.3 with 77 Kwh storage this means it will be a lot less than half or close to 0 because I won't need to charge at home at all depending on which site I go to, one site I can charge at 11 Kw, the other site I only have 3 pin plug.

Any time could either site managers prevent me from charging as we don't own it but for now it's nice to have. Depends, they get into hissy fits from time to time.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Have seen a couple of ID 4’s around Naas lately. One today had very impressive large alloys. Probably a costly option.

Might have been a 1st Max, they've got the 21 inch alloys

I'm going to have a heart attack if I ever hit the kerb in mine

Any time could either site managers prevent me from charging as we don't own it but for now it's nice to have. Depends, they get into hissy fits from time to time.

I wonder to they get annoyed about the charging whenever the electricity bill comes in :)

• Advertisement

Might have been a 1st Max, they've got the 21 inch alloys

I'm going to have a heart attack if I ever hit the kerb in mine

I found the ride on the 20 inch too firm on back roads, fun but I wouldn't like it all the time, 21 inch ? no way, unless I had Dynamic Chassis Control then it might be fine. :D

Advertisement