Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Did you see my post? By no means an extensive test, but it's my latest theory to test. Won't be charging until Saturday though, so little mid week driving to get the battery down.

I'd prefer if it just worked! Hah, when I went to the settings this morning home was revived as a charging location. I've added it in and set a departure time without air conditioning for the end of night rate every day. Will see what that does!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The scheduled charging really is a lottery. No charge at all last night so still on 20% this morning and now the app won't communicate with the car, I keep getting an error message.

When I plugged in last night at 20% it started charging immediately so I stopped it with the app because we're on night rate. I went to start it charging at around 11 last night in the app but got the same the error that I'm getting this morning. So still on 21% this morning which is a bit disappointing. Must get onto the dealer and report the issue.

Try signing out and back into the app if it won't connect. That seems to help whenever I've had that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Saw one of these operating as a taxi around Carrickmines over the weekend, seeing quite a good few of them on the roads in Dublin too. Actually I also saw a model 3 taxi charging up in Sandyford industrial estate over the weekend which was a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Depends on your electricity costs and whether you have night rate or not but lets say you paid the same as me at night which is 7.4 Cent per Kwh.

Who is your supplier? My night rate is 9.2c (exVAT) with Electric Ireland..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

gear_ie wrote: »

Cheapest remains Energia at 5.2c/night

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

80sDiesel wrote: »
    343 Wltp. 20% less in winter and 20% motorway.
    Combined worst case scenario = 205
    200-250km would be my estimate

Is your journey 100km each way or total. If it's total then you'll probably get away with charging every second day in summer

Thanks,

Its a 50km journey each way so 100km total in a day,
    In this situation , then 52kwh battery might benefit from the heat pump in winter?

Would charging every night be bad for the 55kwh battery after a number of years ?

Energia, but we aware that after your contract they will try screw you as they make existing customers pay more so they can offer new customers to the cheap rate they offer which you get only for the year. Then you cancel and set up in Wife/Partner name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

baby fish wrote: »
    Thanks,

In this situation , then 52kwh battery might benefit from the heat pump in winter?

Would charging every night be bad for the 55kwh battery after a number of years ?

The heat pump will get your winter range closer to summer range, but don't worry, if you're doing 100km a day then you'll still have 50% battery for any unexpected journeys (shops, doctor, ran out of wine, etc)

No issues charging every night, in fact it'll let you set the charge limit to 80% which will preserve the battery much better than charging to 100% every 2 days

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

baby fish wrote: »
    Thanks,

The battery will gradually reduce in capacity over the years regardless, just don't leave it sitting above 80% all day every day and certainly don't charge 100% then drive 5 kms to the shop, come home and plug in again to have it always at 100%.

You won't benefit spending 1400 on a heat pump as it's only going to give you 20-30 kms more range when the temperature is optimum for the heat pump. You have plenty of range for most of your needs so in my opinion why pay more for a heat pump ?

In the days of 100 Km cars it might have made sense where every km counted but today with 300-400 kms range I don't think it's of any real benefit especially at the price.

Spotted this comment by user 'Pilot andthecity' in one of Bjørn Nyland youtube reviews....

"I can confirm you that the ID4 will go to a charging speed of 150 kW end of June, and by the end of 2021 it will give you 170 kW charging speed. It was yesterday confirmed at me by VW in Germany."

Will be enabled by OTA update it seems... anyone else hear of this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Spotted this comment by user 'Pilot andthecity' in one of Bjørn Nyland youtube reviews....

"I can confirm you that the ID4 will go to a charging speed of 150 kW end of June, and by the end of 2021 it will give you 170 kW charging speed. It was yesterday confirmed at me by VW in Germany."

How much though? I'd be very surprised if it's free. If it costs, I don't think it's worth it. The ESB 150kW units at best will deliver 140kW to the ID.4 (350V pack, 400Amp supply from the CCS socket on the unit), so Ionity would be the only place you could maximise the 150/170kW power VW is rumouring to offer.
    Now if the 150kW/170kW improves the charging curve overall it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I can't see why they would charge existing owners money to unlock this. Has any other EV maker specifically done this with charging speed upgrades - Tesla? Totally agree that changing the curve would make the difference, looking at the iX3 curve probably gives some indication of what to expect (150kW up to 25%, 125kW to 40% and around 50kW from 80% to 95%)

Surely this would be seen as a new big feature coming through the first/second OTA update for owners from VW and not something to take in more euro but I suppose it remains to be seen. TBH there's a lot riding on the OTA and the app update so you would think VW will need to deliver something decent to keep the ID brand in the news in a positive light.

Unlocking features is something that has been mentioned already. It's a pity that only the ID.4 2022 models will get the Park Assist remote parking app, I'm sure this will come with some form of unlock cost when it does get released. Strange that the 2021 ID.4 max models should have the cameras and sensors for this but VW has stated only the 2022 models will be compatible. Has anyone seen a Touareg with this?

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34677297/2022-vw-id4-driver-free-remote-parking-app/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

cannco253 wrote: »
    I can't see why they would charge existing owners money to unlock this. Has any other EV maker specifically done this with charging speed upgrades - Tesla?

Tesla have never charged for upgraded charging speeds, yes they have charged for Supercharger support (v early days) extra battery capacity release, AP/EAP/FSD, performance boost and rear heated seats, all of which are via the App and OTA

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I've heard reports both ways, saying it's for definite and others saying it won't happen for existing cars

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it

I've heard reports both ways, saying it's for definite and others saying it won't happen for existing cars

Basically, I'll believe it when I see it

Kick in the teeth for "1st" owners taking a punt on the car if they do.

Kick in the teeth for "1st" owners taking a punt on the car if they do.

Sure what else is new? I was supposed to have my car back in January :rolleyes:

Sure what else is new? I was supposed to have my car back in January :rolleyes:

Any idea on when you'll get it?

Oh he'll have it by January alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Down South wrote: »
    Anyone having issue with android auto?
    Fine up until yesterday. Now seems paired but both phone and car seem to be stuck connecting Android auto. I can play music via Bluetooth

The infortainment system is also turning off and on

Went back in for a software upgrade today. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Oh he'll have it by January!

:D

I'm beginning to have my doubts

No, although I noticed the MV Parana is en route to Dublin from Emden

I spoke to the dealership last week and they say they can only see "Internal transfer" without any more details

Some of the other dealerships seem to have better insight into things, so if anyone knows their 1st Max is on a boat then please let me know, hopefully mine is on the same boat :)

The id4 at 55 K was more than I was prepared to pay to get travel assist, had it been an option on the lower trims I probably would have bought it, so I chose the id3 tour 5.

The id3 is popular enough too, some People like smaller cars but had travel assist been an option I would have chose the id4.

I spoke to the dealership last week and they say they can only see "Internal transfer" without any more details

I was told mine was at Emden Port on the 26th of April... no further updates since so was hoping it was on the ship that arrived from Emden into Dublin on Friday last.. hopefully it makes the next one...

The id4 at 55 K was more than I was prepared to pay to get travel assist, had it been an option on the lower trims I probably would have bought it, so I chose the id3 tour 5.

The id3 is popular enough too, some People like smaller cars but had travel assist been an option I would have chose the id4.

I'm guessing the ID.4 must be a lot cheaper in Sweden, or has a much better spec. Sweden has a €6k purchase incentive and vehicle import taxes are much lower

1st Max is €52k in Sweden for example, and I think includes the heat pump as standard

Went back in for a software upgrade today. Fingers crossed

What software were you running before? I thought all the ID.4s had the latest software to enable OTA updates

I was told mine was at Emden Port on the 26th of April... no further updates since so was hoping it was on the ship that arrived from Emden into Dublin on Friday last.. hopefully it makes the next one...

I think yours, mine and dave oc's were all in the same batch and are probably going to arrive at the same time

Hopefully they're all parked together on the same boat at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

What software were you running before? I thought all the ID.4s had the latest software to enable OTA updates
    Interested also as I thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

No idea but was told it would be up to date before collection. Seems to be working now though

• Advertisement

No idea but was told it would be up to date before collection. Seems to be working now though

What software version are you running now so?

Advertisement