Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭kirving

VW have of course tested the powertrain beyond all it's limits in every scenario they can think of, and probably little reason why it couldn't go from 0-100% via towing, but it just adds in way too many variables to say with certainty that it's okay in all circumstances.

Automatics traditionally had problems due to gearbox cooling or lubrication, but obviously not the case with electric. Probably more to do with the car being turned off when being towed, and so it may have no ability to control the rate of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Update from the dealer this morning and I can see my car is on the boat arriving tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

kirving wrote: »
    VW have of course tested the powertrain beyond all it's limits in every scenario they can think of, and probably little reason why it couldn't go from 0-100% via towing, but it just adds in way too many variables to say with certainty that it's okay in all circumstances.

Automatics traditionally had problems due to gearbox cooling or lubrication, but obviously not the case with electric. Probably more to do with the car being turned off when being towed, and so it may have no ability to control the rate of charge.

I'd say given the id4 is rear wheel drive, I don't think it should be towed. Common advise on bmw i3 is never tow, always flatbed. A few tow companies have found out the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

dave oc wrote: »
    Update from the dealer this morning and I can see my car is on the boat arriving tomorrow :)

As is mine :D

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

vicM wrote: »
    I'd say given the id4 is rear wheel drive, I don't think it should be towed. Common advise on bmw i3 is never tow, always flatbed. A few tow companies have found out the hard way

From the manual:

The vehicle can be towed with a tow-bar ora tow-rope:
    — The maximum permitted towing speed is50 km/h (30 mph).
    — The maximum permitted towing distanceis 50 km (30 miles)

However it does say in multiple places the car should only be towed in an emergency and it's better to use a recovery truck

There's also a note on when the vehicle cannot be towed

In which situations may the vehicle not be towed?
    In the following situations, the vehicle maynot be towed for a long distance on its own tyres:
    — A red warning lamp and text message areshown on the instrument cluster display. Towing damages electric drive. Owner's manual!
    — The power supply for the 12-volt vehicleelectrical system cannot be guaranteed.
    — The 12-volt vehicle battery is discharged.The steering remains locked and the parking brake and steering column lock cannot be released if they have been applied previously.
    — The instrument cluster display does notwork properly.
    — The gearbox cannot be shifted to neutral(N).
    — If the steering function or the operatingclearance of the wheels cannot be ensured after an accident.

In this case you have to use a recovery truck and the car can only be moved at walking pace for 100m or less. Basically enough to get it onto a recovery truck

So yes, general advice is to use a recovery vehicle if possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

pad199207 wrote: »
    ID 4 GTX Business €53,240 after subsidies
    ID 4 GTX Max €67,765 no subsidies

Add 1k onto each for delivery.

That’s an expensive car!!

tom1ie wrote: »
    That’s an expensive car!!

Shows the difference the subsidies make, almost €100 per extra horsepower over the normal ID.4 Max :eek:

Still, it's the top end trim, it was always going to be expensive :(

EDIT: I forgot the Max will probably lose the SEAI grant as well, so 'only' €50 per extra horsepower for the GTX :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shows the difference the subsidies make, almost €100 per extra horsepower over the normal ID.4 Max :eek:

Still, it's the top end trim, it was always going to be expensive :(

EDIT: I forgot the Max will probably lose the SEAI grant as well, so 'only' €50 per extra horsepower for the GTX :)

New brochure is out including the GTX. While the GTX Max is a stretch, the GTX Business is, frankly, not a bad deal at all if you were eying up a standard Business anyway - ~€4250 extra for an extra ~100bhp, four wheel drive and also includes metallic paint......if you were lining up €50k to buy a Business, you'd be mad not to stretch the extra few bob for the GTX IMHO.

New brochure is out including the GTX. While the GTX Max is a stretch, the GTX Business is, frankly, not a bad deal at all if you were eying up a standard Business anyway - ~€4250 extra for an extra ~100bhp, four wheel drive and also includes metallic paint......if you were lining up €50k to buy a Business, you'd be mad not to stretch the extra few bob for the GTX IMHO.

I was just looking at the brochure as well and I've noticed they can't seem to agree on the GTX pricing, in the price list it says €67k but lower down in the spec page it's €62k

Maybe it's €62k if you order now or something, before the grant is ended?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

From the manual:

The vehicle can be towed with a tow-bar ora tow-rope:
    — The maximum permitted towing speed is50 km/h (30 mph).
    — The maximum permitted towing distanceis 50 km (30 miles)

However it does say in multiple places the car should only be towed in an emergency and it's better to use a recovery truck

There's also a note on when the vehicle cannot be towed

In which situations may the vehicle not be towed?
    In the following situations, the vehicle maynot be towed for a long distance on its own tyres:
    — A red warning lamp and text message areshown on the instrument cluster display. Towing damages electric drive. Owner's manual!
    — The power supply for the 12-volt vehicleelectrical system cannot be guaranteed.
    — The 12-volt vehicle battery is discharged.The steering remains locked and the parking brake and steering column lock cannot be released if they have been applied previously.
    — The instrument cluster display does notwork properly.
    — The gearbox cannot be shifted to neutral(N).
    — If the steering function or the operatingclearance of the wheels cannot be ensured after an accident.

In this case you have to use a recovery truck and the car can only be moved at walking pace for 100m or less. Basically enough to get it onto a recovery truck

So yes, general advice is to use a recovery vehicle if possible

I'm struggling to see a situation where you would need to tow when you don't have a red warning light on the dash!
    Surely even turtle mode will come with a warning light

• Advertisement

vicM wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see a situation where you would need to tow when you don't have a red warning light on the dash!
    Surely even turtle mode will come with a warning light

It's actually an amber light :)

I guess it's in the case where you live in a remote area and the car runs out of battery a few km from home

Do you wait ages for a tow truck or call a family member or friend for a tow?

Personally I'd try for the tow truck, but if I was desperate then I might consider towing the car if the distance was short

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

Hey not sure if this is the right thread for this but anyhow, I ordered an ID4 last week and have a commision number, but other than the 12 weeks estimate from the dealer ive no other info.

Tried VW direct and got a response of there is no build date for this order. Is it just a matter of hunkering down for the long wait or is there any way to get more estimated info from VW? Anyone any experience with that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

crassusg wrote: »
    Hey not sure if this is the right thread for this but anyhow, I ordered an ID4 last week and have a commision number, but other than the 12 weeks estimate from the dealer ive no other info.

Tried VW direct and got a response of there is no build date for this order. Is it just a matter of hunkering down for the long wait or is there any way to get more estimated info from VW? Anyone any experience with that. Cheers

Your dealer should be able to provide you with updates. as Example:

552536.png

But mainly it will be hunker down and wait... some of us have been waiting since December last... and hopefully the long wait will be over in the next week or so...

gear_ie wrote: »
    Your dealer should be able to provide you with updates. as Example:

But mainly it will be hunker down and wait... some of us have been waiting since December last... and hopefully the long wait will be over in the next week or so...

Did it take a couple of weeks before you got some info on status from the dealer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gear_ie

Did it take a couple of weeks before you got some info on status from the dealer ?

It did. Took about 6weeks before they knew a build date. Once it went into production I got regular enough updates... did keep at the dealer on a regular basis so must have wrecked his head :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

What model did you order?

kop-end wrote: »
    What model did you order?

went for the tech trim

went for the tech trim

Nice, lots of the good toys on that one, heads-up display, sunroof, etc.... I was looking at the Style trim 52kw and the Business trim 77kwh, €10k difference for same spec car except for the battery range...... I’m a city driver so would probably be ok with smaller battery, still not 100% sure though.

Nice, lots of the good toys on that one, heads-up display, sunroof, etc.... I was looking at the Style trim 52kw and the Business trim 77kwh, €10k difference for same spec car except for the battery range...... I’m a city driver so would probably be ok with smaller battery, still not 100% sure though.

Yea was initially on for the family trim but in the end plumbed for the tech to get the electric tailgate and electric seats, if they had more granular options we prob wouldnt have gone for the extras like sunroof and the heads up (though i expect once we get used to having them we wont wasnt to do without :)).

First electric car though its as much the other bits, like getting the home charger thats all new. Bonus is i could nearly do a job on the charger installation ive watched that many vids !!

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

City range should be 300km handy enough. Pure motorway would be more like 200km. Mixed would be somewhere around 250km I'd imagine. I do limited long drives (one a month maybe) and have lived with a 160-220km range Hyundai ioniq for 2 years no problem. Had to charge miss way to go back to my parents, and spontaneous drives to the west of Cork were never an option really, but Cork is poorly supplied with chargers. My point is, 200km range on the motorway is very usable here. 250km on primary and rural roads is lots too.

• Advertisement

Yea was initially on for the family trim but in the end plumbed for the tech to get the electric tailgate and electric seats, if they had more granular options we prob wouldnt have gone for the extras like sunroof and the heads up (though i expect once we get used to having them we wont wasnt to do without :)).

First electric car though its as much the other bits, like getting the home charger thats all new. Bonus is i could nearly do a job on the charger installation ive watched that many vids !!

Great, thanks for all the info. I will be starting that journey myself very soon. The biggest issue I have is the minefield of card and accounts at charging stations....: ESB, EasyGO, Ionity, etc....

Great, thanks for all the info. I will be starting that journey myself very soon. The biggest issue I have is the minefield of card and accounts at charging stations....: ESB, EasyGO, Ionity, etc....

That's pretty much it for charging other than a few edge cases, unless you want to go down the rabbit hole of providers who support ionity for possibly cheaper rates.

Plugshare is a good app for checking "reviews" of charging stations. Abrp is handy for planning your route (if charging is required on route).

I see the MV Parana has docked without sinking :)

Anyone know how long it takes for the car to be transported to the dealership? I'm guessing unloading is fairly quick, but revenue need to check the car AFAIK and I suspect they don't do weekends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Picked up my 1st Max today.

Only had a short drive, but impressed so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

I see the MV Parana has docked without sinking :)

Anyone know how long it takes for the car to be transported to the dealership? I'm guessing unloading is fairly quick, but revenue need to check the car AFAIK and I suspect they don't do weekends :(

IIRC mine came in to Ireland on a Wednesday and I could have collected that Saturday am. Due to work commitments I waited till the following Monday.

ID.3

Charger installation is dead easy, just get the charge point, fix it to the wall where you want it and run the wire that's rated for the current back to the Consumer Unit, this save you some money and the electricians job will be dead easy and he'll still get a few hundred out of a very simple task.

Charger installation is dead easy, just get the charge point, fix it to the wall where you want it and run the wire that's rated for the current back to the Consumer Unit, this save you some money and the electricians job will be dead easy and he'll still get a few hundred out of a very simple task.

Careful, you'll get the RECI police on your tail ;)

Careful, you'll get the RECI police on your tail ;)

No one can stop you running the cable and mounting the charge point to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

OK I'm new to this ev stuff. I get all the battery power and range. Can someone please explain the wall box grant,can I get a box for my main home and a second installed in another house for charging. Can't find this information anywhere.

• Advertisement

Liam2021 wrote: »
    OK I'm new to this ev stuff. I get all the battery power and range. Can someone please explain the wall box grant,can I get a box for my main home and a second installed in another house for charging. Can't find this information anywhere.

Grant is per house per registered owner. Can't remember exactly what's required, but the car has to be registered to you and to the address you're installing the charger at. The grant can't be used on a house (mprn) which has previously received the grant.

Advertisement