Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Liam2021

Grant is per house per registered owner. Can't remember exactly what's required, but the car has to be registered to you and to the address you're installing the charger at. The grant can't be used on a house (mprn) which has previously received the grant.

So if I needed a second charging point it would be at my own expense (no grant)
    Thanks

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Liam2021 wrote: »
    Thanks

Correct. Best route, imo, would be to get one in your main residence, get a bit used to the EV world, and then see about picking up a second hand unit. Eg. There's a Garo unit going second hand in the buying/selling thread here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

I see the MV Parana has docked without sinking :)

Anyone know how long it takes for the car to be transported to the dealership? I'm guessing unloading is fairly quick, but revenue need to check the car AFAIK and I suspect they don't do weekends :(

It depends on your dealer & wether they are on the ball in terms of applying for your grant & sorting out your finance (if going PCP) I got a call on 20th of April saying my ID3 was in the country and it was delivered to me yesterday so just over 2 weeks of torture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Liam2021 wrote: »
    Thanks

Short answer yes

Slightly longer answer, you need proof of address for the second address for the grant application

So if you have that, or can get that, then there's not much stopping you from claiming the grant for the second address

A couple of people have had success getting a very cheap charger and getting an electrician to install it for less than the grant amount

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭hold my beer

When charging at ESB 50kw, should I select the option to 'Reduce AC charg. Current' option in the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

When charging at ESB 50kw, should I select the option to 'Reduce AC charg. Current' option in the car?

50kW is DC so no:). I’m not sure what’s this function for as I never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It’s not applicable to DC chargers.

That option is primarily if you are plugging in somewhere that has old electrics or a low rated fuse or you’re just not sure of the quality of the electrics. Other than that you would not turn on that function.

That only affects AC charging and will reduce the charging current down to 8A (1.8kW)

At a DC charger the car will always request the maximum charging speed the car and charger can provide

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Test drove ID 4 today. Fabulous experience. Again I’m not 100% with the interior. But I think the driving experience makes up for it

pad199207 wrote: »
    Test drove ID 4 today. Fabulous experience. Again I’m not 100% with the interior. But I think the driving experience makes up for it

It's a dramatic improvement over the ID.3 interior which was very bland IMO

There's better interiors as you say but I think Volkswagen got it right in all the ways that count and the cars other features make up for any shortcomings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

There's better interiors as you say but I think Volkswagen got it right in all the ways that count and the cars other features make up for any shortcomings

Yep up I agree. I don’t like either interior but the ID4 is a bit better than the ID3.

If the travel assist turns out as good as I've seen in some videos then I'll be more than happy with the id3, The difference this will make to 700+ kms of Motorway driving a week will be huge for me so I can hopefully forgive some Caddy Van plastics.

I'll really miss the Harman Kardon in the BMW i3, the id3 basic with no rear speakers sounds crap with door trim rattle, or so was in the test car, that's the caddy plastic.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hey, wash your mouth out:D, I rather like the minimalist Ikea interior..

eagerv wrote: »
    Hey, wash your mouth out:D, I rather like the minimalist Ikea interior..

I like the minimalist design of the ID.3, just not a great fan of the colours, would it kill VW to have something other than grey :)

One thing I like about the ID cars over competitors is how different the interior looks. If you look at the inside of the Enyaq for example it could be any other car made in the last 3 years

At least the ID.3 and 4 are something new

• Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did anyone else notice there's two card holders at the front of the cup holder?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did anyone else notice there's two card holders at the front of the cup holder?

Yup. Weird placement though. I still just use the sun visor clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

I am thinking of VW ID 4 Style trim 52kw. Could someone tell me what does Battery charging capacity - max. 7.2kW AC, max. 100kW DC mean in simple terms. My question is how fast it can charge on public chargers? I am basically a city driver with 1-2 motorway trips in a year which are around 200 km one way. If the public infrastructure is enough, there is no point spending another 9K for extra range. would like to know views of someone who is in similar boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

aspasp1 wrote: »
    I am thinking of VW ID 4 Style trim 52kw. Could someone tell me what does Battery charging capacity - max. 7.2kW AC, max. 100kW DC mean in simple terms. My question is how fast it can charge on public chargers? I am basically a city driver with 1-2 motorway trips in a year which are around 200 km one way. If the public infrastructure is enough, there is no point spending another 9K for extra range. would like to know views of someone who is in similar boat.

AC is alternating current, what comes out of your 3 pin socket at home.
    The ID4 u reference above can charge at up to 7.2 KW AC.
    The time to charge from empty to full depends on how much charge you can pull.
    Just divide the battery size 52kwh pack by charging speed 7.2kw = change time in hours/minutes!

DC is direct current, this would be all the fast chargers around the country. The ID4 u reference above can charge at up to 100 KW DC.
    Same sum to work out charge time -> Pack size divided by charge speed.

Plenty of charging videos online so you can see real world usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

I like the minimalist design of the ID.3, just not a great fan of the colours, would it kill VW to have something other than grey :)

One thing I like about the ID cars over competitors is how different the interior looks. If you look at the inside of the Enyaq for example it could be any other car made in the last 3 years

At least the ID.3 and 4 are something new

I wouldn't say new. Heavily inspired by the bmwi3 actually.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

jusmeig wrote: »
    AC is alternating current, what comes out of your 3 pin socket at home.
    The ID4 u reference above can charge at up to 7.2 KW AC.
    The time to charge from empty to full depends on how much charge you can pull.
    Just divide the battery size 52kwh pack by charging speed 7.2kw = change time in hours/minutes!

DC is direct current, this would be all the fast chargers around the country. The ID4 u reference above can charge at up to 100 KW DC.

The car has a 55kWh battery so the reserved element will also require charging so if car on 0% there is likely 1.5kWh buffer at the bottom that will not require charging so you are left with 52kWh plus say 1.5kWh buffer to charge = 53.5kWh.
    Charging losses (heat/efficiency losses) are likely ~8% so this will need to be added too.
    53.5kWh/7.2kW*1.08= Just over 8 hours.
    It will likely take more than this as the final percent or two take elongated time as this top charging will be used to balance the cells.
    Layman's terms, 8hrs

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Way over simplifying DC charging times. DC charging is on a curve. You'll get those high rates of charge (100kW) at low % battery, assuming a warm battery. It'll taper downwards as the battery % increases. A 10-80% charge on a 150kW DC unit would probably take 30 minutes. Note that most DC units in Ireland are 50kW max, so they'll be slower to charge.

If the posters driving is mainly City with the odd motorway trip, their charging should be at home, an thus 8 hours for a 0-100% charge. Motorway range will not be the 350km quoted. More like 200km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Way over simplifying DC charging times.

The poster asked for it in layman's terms, they were as lay as I could make it.

The poster asked for it in layman's terms, they were as lay as I could make it.

100kW will charge faster than 50kW, but not twice as fast over the full range of the battery.

VW garage depreciating my Tiguan by 11k and it’s not even a year old yet. 5K km on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,079 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

VW garage depreciating my Tiguan by 11k and it’s not even a year old yet. 5K km on the clock.

Biggest deprecation hit is always in year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cripes that’s bad though. How much new? You’d hope the EVs will do better in near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aspasp1

Many thanks for your replies guys. I am slightly wiser. Will check YouTube

fits wrote: »
    Cripes that’s bad though. How much new? You’d hope the EVs will do better in near future.

It was 47k new. If these are the numbers I’ll be getting, I certainly won’t be giving them another 20k for an ID 4

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Down South wrote: »

Same problem back again infotainment system turning off and on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭crassusg

It was 47k new. If these are the numbers I’ll be getting, I certainly won’t be giving them another 20k for an ID 4

I'd imagine the dealer holding onto a nice margin at that price

Advertisement