Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

So DJ set means the 2 main lads just playing music, with minimal show around them? Like a DJ in any nightclub. Whereas normally they'd have some live musicians to mix into tunes, dancers and other stuff on stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Do we not think that it will be somewhat sad to have the main stage with just DJ set, I loved Le Galaxie last year in the tent - and that made it better imo but cannot imagine with no dancers or stage set up that it would appeal to the family side at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The "Named Act" DJ Set is just a cheap way to get a big name on the poster.

But yeah, it'll be a bit pointless to have them on the main stage for a family-centric festival. Fair enough in one of the smaller tents, but then what's the point in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Patser wrote: »
    So DJ set means the 2 main lads just playing music, with minimal show around them? Like a DJ in any nightclub. Whereas normally they'd have some live musicians to mix into tunes, dancers and other stuff on stage?

yes, mostly other people's music:

Cannot imagine this working in blessington - like either that or the need a much better set! That will hardly keep kids attention - not that I care -I went with my wife last year with no kids and had a great weekend - Le Galaxie done a set like this last year - much better set imo - but i dont think this will work on the main stage

• Advertisement

Cannot imagine this working in blessington - like either that or the need a much better set! That will hardly keep kids attention - not that I care -I went with my wife last year with no kids and had a great weekend - Le Galaxie done a set like this last year - much better set imo - but i dont think this will work on the main stage

Maybe they'll be doing a later night set - after the main acts are finished and kids are heading to bed. Somewhere away from the campsites. 1 thing I did notice last year was the big crushes going back to campsites as the last acts finished, and for those without kids nothing else to do but come back to campsites to drink on/party on.

Actually worked a bit counter active to the idea that the early finish would make it family friendlier as everyone could go fo a sleep - not if everyone including those that want to stay up all have to head back.

MAybe a silent disco or tented secluded late night stage would actually make for a quieter campsite for little kids to sleep in

yeah i think something on til about 1am would have suited more - everyone kinda headed back to jerry fish tent after main stage ended for the last 30 mins! Food trucks were crazy busy after the main stage too!

Im not complaining that there is a bigger name announced like Basement Jaxx - but seems odd its only the dj set as it really wouldnt go with the family friendly headliners!

I will be looking forward to seeing who else they add as they really do need to get some nice bands/acts in this year cos it was a great weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Greatly appreciated if anyone can point me in the direction of a caravan ticket.

So who do we think that they are gonna add to the lineup? the social media channels saying announcements over the next week or 2 - think the lineup could be interesting because when you look at Saltwater Festival in Galway i would have thought most of them would play at Kaleidoscope but with No where we would rather be in Bray, there is a few there that wont be playing in Blessington too.

Anyone that you would like?

Current Wishlist - maybe Snow Patrol and Haim aint realistic!!!
    Kodaline
    Haim
    Snow Patrol
    Robyn
    two door cinema club
    Newton Faulkner
    Freya Ridings
    Thanks Brother

Not much by way of line up, but this article from last week suggests Zip lines, climbing walls, archery, zorbing etc to be added (hopefully not just what is in Avon Ri as a way of headline generating).

But yeah, a combination of zipline archery to the sounds Basement Jaxx after a free pints does sound really, really appealing to me.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/entertainment/roundup/articles/2020/01/30/4185057-sports-and-wellness-all-part-of-the-kaleidoscope-experience/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

I am planning to go with two young kids - one nearly 4 at the time and one will be 1 and a bit. Will need to bring a fair bit of stuff and have a big family tent - is there plenty of room in the campsite?

It was all fairly friendly last year, and the car park was nearby (if you got there early ish) - so we could go back and forth to car easily.

Some tents last year were huge, but it was never too crowded.

Question is will last years success mean they try to get more in this year. That's what happened with All Together Now in Waterford last year. 2018 it was great, 2019 they sold thousands more tickets leading to traffic chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

budgemook wrote: »
    I am planning to go with two young kids - one nearly 4 at the time and one will be 1 and a bit. Will need to bring a fair bit of stuff and have a big family tent - is there plenty of room in the campsite?
    Yes, we had the family tent we go to France with! They had other fields that they opened later/ didn't open at all. It could be a bit of trek to the car though, so we borrowed a camping trolley...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

Thanks, was getting worried that a 21 sqm tent might not be cool! But it is needed for the travel cot.

I have a trolley

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

502635.jpg

there was plenty of room on the campsite - obviously the earlier that you get there the better site and location you get.
    Last year we were there for 12 on the friday and got a great spot - loads of room - good car park close and done a couple of runs there and back. There was loads of high end big tents out so there is plenty of space there.

Would really appreciate if they started to name some acts though. Sports, vintage carnivals, side shows are all fine and grand but so far we've some DJs and a single (good one though) headline act

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Basment Jaxx Dj set will be them just playing from a laptop prob only be one of them too

yeah they said last week that it would be announced in March - but then they put up a post yesterday saying more announcements this week - so prob will be like the bouncing castle coming back or something!

Hate this Festival Republic theme of not announcing any acts till very late - EP & Kaleidoscope just wreck my head with the delays - especially when you consider so many other Festivals running around the same time that have headliners at least confirmed!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

yeah they said last week that it would be announced in March - but then they put up a post yesterday saying more announcements this week - so prob will be like the bouncing castle coming back or something!

Hate this Festival Republic theme of not announcing any acts till very late - EP & Kaleidoscope just wreck my head with the delays - especially when you consider so many other Festivals running around the same time that have headliners at least confirmed!

Headliners for the fest confirmed already

• Advertisement

Headliners for the fest confirmed already

It would be a bit of a worry if the headliner was a dj set. I hope you are wrong

Exactly - i picture basement jazz to be the Le Galaxie set last year - which was awesome but its not a main stage headliner - esp if its only a DJ set!

Who would be on your (realistic) wish list for the headliners:

For my Fontaines DC, Mick Flannery in a tent (with cider and angry at the world), King Kong (for their brilliance last year), Wild Youth (again great last year, especially for kids), Sawdoctors (for the nostalgia of hay being thrown at Feile a long, long time ago), Stereo MCs (very polished festival act), Elbow (feck realistic ideas), The Prodigy (seriously feck realistic, I want a chance to remember Keith Flint).

I think kodaline could be a good shout cause the played EP last year. Think wild youth coming back would be a good shout! To be honest i wouldnt mind most of the acts coming back from last year - Riptide movement, ryan sheridan, thanks brother were all great last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

well, are we all ready for the line-up tomorrow?

trying to be optimistic here!

its all about the kids having a blast but
    I hope there's a few interesting acts and not just
    a slew of boring middle of the road irish acts!

I expect the line-up will be similar to Saltwater Festival, without the interesting acts like Johnny Marr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Gavin James... who???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

god, what a pile of sh*te, depressing!

last year there was three acts i kinda wanted to see, down to one this year!
    never heard of 85% of the lineup and im a music fan

Oh wow, that is poor. Ryan Sheridan was good last year, looking forward to Divine Comedy but can't see Neil being great for kids, Hamsandwich are always decent.....

But if that's the 3 headline acts on main stage, who the feck are the big names for the other stages. Bkick rocking beats is probably just Today FM broadcasting a DJ set live, Basement Jaxx more DJing. Where's the kid friendly, lively pop acts like Wild Youth (who my little one loved last year), King Kong Company (toned it down and were brilliant), even Kila last year brought a great tradition dance sound to main stage.

And JERRY FISH!! Can we not at least get his carnival tent back.

Comparing last years line up poster to today's shows how sparse this years is. Wonder if ticket sales will struggle and they'll announce more to boost, or will they just go full on 'shure it's a family day out, not a music festival'

• Advertisement

Wasn't expecting much but this is very poor.

Possibly the worst lineup I have ever seen for a festival outside of a village fete.

They keep saying 'it is not about the music' and they have just proved it

Advertisement