Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

Googling the acts.

Lyra looks interesting. The Scratch could be the Riptide Movement. Camille O'Sullivan is a Lisa Hannigan sub.

But the 2 Johnies are a YouTube comedy act with a song about Coppers, another about Silage........and they are 3rd line from headliners. Again a live radio station broadcast makes their Top 15 acts over a 3 day multi stage festival....Bobbi Arlo has 1 song with 1.8k views.....True Tides have 5

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Im trying to put a positive spin on it.... but i really cant!! Like its a really poor lineup....

Gavin James & Divine Comedy will be good.... but ive had an issue with Basement Jaxx doing a dj set on the main stage as a headliner...

Last year had a much stronger lineup - Tom Odell, Le Galaxie, wild youth, riptide & BellX1 were great last year and there is very little to match this.
    Its still a festival at the end of the day - a music festival.... like come on - the reason were going is for kids first festival - not just a play and activity weekend! Can just go camping around the country if we wanted to do that!

They are really trying to push a family festival but its actually a disgrace of a lineup so far imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

12yo daughter just rang me in work to check the lineup
    I got "who? who? who? who?" after every act i named!
    she had only heard of Hamsandwich because of the name and i like them
    i had to feign excitement for her on the rest,
    i got a bit sick in my mouth after proclaiming
    "hudson taylor are great" lol

had a bit of a quick skelp on spotify...
    camille o sullivan is baroque funeral music, mostly covers,
    Lyra is good, not mad on her voice but decent enough, will see her
    Ryan McMullen - formulaic garbage
    The Scratch are just odd but may be fun
    Bird on a wire dont exist on spotify apart from the L cohen song
    Lisa mcHugh is horrendous slackjaw shag your sister redneck country music
    Stephanie Rainey is singer/songwriter with the odd upbeat dull song
    True Tides are pure pop, wild youth-esque, kids will enjoy them i reckon
    Lavengro - as above
    Aimee is half decent pop/r&b, dua lipa-ish sound, not bad
    Bobbi Arlo - one song on spotify, more pop/rnb, not bad
    Luz Corrigan - one cover on spotify, very dull singer/songwriter stuff

Id imagine block rockin beats will go down well with the kids too
    and might whip the crowd up a bit
    is it some sort of live band or percussionists or something?
    or just yer man bashing out cafe del mar, 3 drives, sandstorm etc etc on decks?

there you go, im bearing my daughter in mind with any positivity,
    I'm there to have fun with them and i will grin and bear the acts,
    but if it was a normal festival id be raging!

Having said all that, we had a great time last year and
    the vibe was really nice so still looking forward to it

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

12yo daughter just rang me in work to check the lineup
    I got "who? who? who? who?" after every act i named!
    she had only heard of Hamsandwich because of the name and i like them
    i had to feign excitement for her on the rest,
    i got a bit sick in my mouth after proclaiming
    "hudson taylor are great" lol

had a bit of a quick skelp on spotify...
    camille o sullivan is baroque funeral music, mostly covers,
    Lyra is good, not mad on her voice but decent enough, will see her
    Ryan McMullen - formulaic garbage
    The Scratch are just odd but may be fun
    Bird on a wire dont exist on spotify apart from the L cohen song
    Lisa mcHugh is horrendous slackjaw shag your sister redneck country music
    Stephanie Rainey is singer/songwriter with the odd upbeat dull song
    True Tides are pure pop, wild youth-esque, kids will enjoy them i reckon
    Lavengro - as above
    Aimee is half decent pop/r&b, dua lipa-ish sound, not bad
    Bobbi Arlo - one song on spotify, more pop/rnb, not bad
    Luz Corrigan - one cover on spotify, very dull singer/songwriter stuff

Id imagine block rockin beats will go down well with the kids too
    and might whip the crowd up a bit
    is it some sort of live band or percussionists or something?
    or just yer man bashing out cafe del mar, 3 drives, sandstorm etc etc on decks?

there you go, im bearing my daughter in mind with any positivity,
    I'm there to have fun with them and i will grin and bear the acts,
    but if it was a normal festival id be raging!

Having said all that, we had a great time last year and
    the vibe was really nice so still looking forward to it

cheers

Is that a no on Lisa then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Basement Jaxx would want to cop the **** on and play live once in a while.

• Advertisement

Tbf Gavin James is a good call, just played the 3 Arena as a sell out last weekend

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Is that a no on Lisa then?

Be jaysus, I'd both listen to her and give her one.

Gavin James though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The scratch are good, and a decent live act. Hopefully will see more of them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Has anyone bought a campervan ticket for this? I went to buy one and they want to charge €18 postage with no print at home option. I assumed this was a mistake and queried with Ticketmaster and they said its because they will be sent by courier closer to the date. Like what the actual f***?! They're saying it's the same story for EP. Can anyone explain why they do this for campervan tickets but no other kind of ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Has anyone bought a campervan ticket for this? I went to buy one and they want to charge €18 postage with no print at home option. I assumed this was a mistake and queried with Ticketmaster and they said its because they will be sent by courier closer to the date. Like what the actual f***?! They're saying it's the same story for EP. Can anyone explain why they do this for campervan tickets but no other kind of ticket?

Yes I paid it - absolute robbery the price of the ticket and thren the €18 deliery on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Disappointed with the line up. A lot of decent Irish acts not on it - even ones from last year. No mention of Jerry Fish either, kinda banked on him saving the day for the mam's and dads.

The two johnnies went down well with my tweens. And I think Dec Pierce will be alright - again my tweens well introduced to Block Rockin Beats at this stage, but I'll be there anyway!

No mention of decent beer either. "Artisan Food and Drink" - taking it that it'll still be commercial heino muck as the only option.

Vantastival might be the 2021 option for us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What time does this festivel close?Was there much drunk parents last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

sasta le wrote: »

Quiet time from 11pm at night, if i remeber correctly
    (we were "shushed" by security for talking quietly!)
    I heard other reports that people were up all night partying
    but certainly not where i was

Regarding drunk parents....
    its a very different vibe to an adult festival, very chilled
    no-one falling around the place that i saw

rgds

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Can you buy them at a ticketmaster outlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

never bought a campervan ticket, but I've seen people mention before for other festivals that they're sent out very close to the festival to reduce touting/fakes of the passes, as they're quite limited and sell out pretty quickly for most festivals, and there's no barcode on the pass, so anyone could make multiples.

They send them out by registered post/courier very close to the festival to reduce the time someone could make and sell fakes.

sasta le wrote: »

Gerry Fish stage was open till 11pm - then head back - quiet campsite from about midnight to 12.30pm

There was drunk people there but its an entirely different vibe to anything else - its not messy drunk - just people dancing around and singing! The addition of kids keeps people in line i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

never bought a campervan ticket, but I've seen people mention before for other festivals that they're sent out very close to the festival to reduce touting/fakes of the passes, as they're quite limited and sell out pretty quickly for most festivals, and there's no barcode on the pass, so anyone could make multiples.

They send them out by registered post/courier very close to the festival to reduce the time someone could make and sell fakes.

It's still a bit of a sickener. Why can't they barcode them like all other tickets to prevent this apparent fraud risk. Even if you only get your pass a few days before it's still plenty of time to copy it or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Basement Jaxx would want to cop the **** on and play live once in a while.

Their live shows were something special back in the mid noughties but there used to be about twenty performers for a live set.

It is very disheartening to see a dance band do a DJ set at a festival settings.
    Fair play to ATN for paying the money to get the real grove armada

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vulcan01

there was plenty of room on the campsite - obviously the earlier that you get there the better site and location you get.
    Last year we were there for 12 on the friday and got a great spot - loads of room - good car park close and done a couple of runs there and back. There was loads of high end big tents out so there is plenty of space there.

Your Joking Right? We were in the Campsite next to the Food outlets, It was pretty clear on the Friday but when we came back from the Arena on the Friday night we could not find our tent for the sea of tents that had been pitched all about us even on the fire break lines marked out. If there was a fire we would of been goosed.

Not going this year and did not fall for the buy early tickets lark why would I buy tickets for anything that I don't know who is playing and now we have the line up which is not remarkable by any form. If I miss out does not bother me.

Last year was an mediocre experience, My Kids had no interest in the Music acts, they were 9/10/13 y/o and it was an expensive weekend when you had to buy nosh on site. Its handy for the Dubs that don't get to see the country side that often.

Castlegregory instead water sporting!, better Craic.

Enjoy it though folks.

PS Seen Lyra last week in Cork, Pretty awesome singer live.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭tmabr

Very active on Facebook. Surely this will be cancelled

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭sabrewulf

Yeah, unlikely that any type of event with a crowd is going ahead this summer.

What is the opinion on this going ahead? I know concerts are down the list of priorities but still.... its looking unlikely in my opinion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Concerts and festivals are curiously slow to cancel, especially when compared to sporting events. Could it be an insurance angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Concerts and festivals are curiously slow to cancel, especially when compared to sporting events. Could it be an insurance angle?
    A lot* of the sporting events are cancelled because of trying to finish off seasons, not necessarily because they expect restrictions to last. Having said that, it's going to be a gradual rolling back of restrictions, and I believe they indicated they could roll back, and re-introduce, over coming weeks/ months depending on the evidence. So I'd have my doubts!

*I have seen a few cycling sportives cancelled, North and South well into June, but in terms of the high profile ones the news is reporting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Tabnabs wrote: »

Yeah, this is my guess. I reckon they're waiting on government guidance but that won't come until closer to the time. If the government shut down festivals over the summer then organisers should be able to claim on insurance. If organisers cancel before hearing from the government then maybe insurance won't pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Looks like this wont be going ahead now with the likely ban on gatherings till sept.

Wild camping with a speaker it is..

Tefral wrote: »
    Looks like this wont be going ahead now with the likely ban on gatherings till sept.

Wild camping with a speaker it is..

Put Bassment Jaxx on your spotify playlist and it'll be just the same as being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Formally cancelled. Option of a refund or tickets are good for Kaleidoscope 2021.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

In the crazy mixed up world we live in, I'll bank that €200 instead of trusting it to ticketmaster and a small events company. Who knows where we'll be in 12 months time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Formally cancelled. Option of a refund or tickets are good for Kaleidoscope 2021.

Did an email go out? I haven't received one yet.

Advertisement