Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I Love that my musical **** term has become a thing. Lol.

Debated A LOT about which Carpenters track to submit but it was always gonna be one from them. Karen was a legend. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Well done Kolido, great reveal chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Ah I wouldn't say controversy. And you can argue that any great artist is taken before their time while they're still recording good music.

I just personally wanted to go for someone who hadn't realised their potential. But I've no problem with Bowie placing where he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Don't worry, I'll be getting proper ousted out in the dance round anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Speaking of which it's me back hosting for our next round.

I'll be in touch with a date and time following discussions with my co-judge :D

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I Love that my musical **** term has become a thing. Lol.

Debated A LOT about which Carpenters track to submit but it was always gonna be one from them. Karen was a legend. Ah well.

Is that were Necro got it from? It's a classic in the guitar world, I lolled when I saw Necro write it...as much as I disagreed in this particular instance :D

Carpenters were a great choice for this round, I just have tunes of theirs which resonate with me more than others...same as all of us. Superstar is another great tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

15th: Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana

Stu:
    I never really liked Pennyroyal Tea, least of all the Unplugged version. That acoustic sound of Kurt's on Unplugged doesn't agree with me. It's perfect for 'The Man Who Sold The World', but not a full gig of tunes…not for my listening. Not crazy about his vocal in this performance either. That coupled with me just never liking the song leaves Pennyroyal Tea near the bottom. Unfortunate, because Cobain is one of those artists this round was made for and I very much like Nirvana.

Necro:
    Let me caveat this by saying that I love Nirvana. Nevermind is one of my fave albums of all time. That being said I just didn't get into this like I expected to, and if I'm honest I was kinda glad it was over. Loved the unplugged sessions but this was one I would usually skip if I'm honest. So it pains me to do it, but I've gotta score this one relatively low despite loving the band.

Scores

Stu: 15th
    Necro: 12th

Overall:
    3 points to
    Electric Nitwit

Well at least I didn't have to scroll far to find mine! You're both dead to me :p

We're just totally at odds, I love this song. I love this version of this song. I picked it though, because it's Kurt solo. Obviously Nirvana have much, much better, but for this round I wanted it to be about him

I'll have to catch up on all the rest tomorrow :)
    I'm going to resist scrolling on to see who won for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Tammy! wrote: »
    I have to admit I was just thinking someone who had died and a song from their prime :o and I think I recall that round was added later so just thought quickly. I don't mind if ye want to deduct points...but I would argue Bowie was always in his prime :)

It is a great song though. The lyrics are so harsh and it takes a few listens to get into so I didn't think it would do well at all :)

Well done Kolido!

You picked someone worthy of the high ranking - if I had thought less quickly there are many (John Martyn already mentioned) Fogelberg, Nillsson, Lennon, Etc but for some reason the category immediately made me think of younger artists - thought I was pushing it with Phil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Ha, I was thinking of Changes instead of Ghetto Gospel but I do like the Elton John bits of Ghetto Gospel. Really like them both though. Fair play Kolido.

I knew that Mac Miller song wouldn't do well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

quickbeam wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone picked what I’d have picked if I was to pick.

Answer: No, they did not :P

Congrats Kolido!

What would you have picked QB?

Possibly something by someone who'll appear in my entry to Molly and ALC's Walrus, so I'll leave you hanging until then :)

Is that were Necro got it from? It's a classic in the guitar world, I lolled when I saw Necro write it...as much as I disagreed in this particular instance :D

Carpenters were a great choice for this round, I just have tunes of theirs which resonate with me more than others...same as all of us. Superstar is another great tune.

I mentioned it in my walrus as being something I despise. It's only vaguely acceptable in a live gig as far as I'm concerned. And it's mostly why I hate jazz. It's all ****. I just want them to get to the point. :o

I almost entered Masquerede or Close To You. I just couldn't decide. I changed the entry about 4 times. Her voice is so amazing and it's right in my register so their songs are always a shower favourite for me.

I mentioned it in my walrus as being something I despise. It's only vaguely acceptable in a live gig as far as I'm concerned. And it's mostly why I hate jazz. It's all ****. I just want them to get to the point. :o

The other side of that, all members of a band have a voice and something to say, they just express it through different instruments. Except bass players (*runs away from the Burtonites*). So in many of these cases, they may well have gotten to their point, it's just a case of you being open to accept it

Banjo wrote: »
    The other side of that, all members of a band have a voice and something to say, they just express it through different instruments. Except bass players (*runs away from the Burtonites*)

Yeah but the beauty of a band is that all the individual voices are better together. I don't need a 10 minute drum solo to show me how wonderful a drum player so and so is. That fact will shine out through the song regardless.

And the bass guitar is the sexiest instrument.

Yeah but the beauty of a band is that all the individual voices are better together. I don't need a 10 minute drum solo to show me how wonderful a drum player so and so is. That fact will shine out through the song regardless.

And the bass guitar is the sexiest instrument.

That, I'm afraid, like the idea that you invented a term that predates your birth, is an opinion Mollyb60, not a fact. But one which you are entitled to hold close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Oh lordy. Necro may I interest you in a few pints before the last category? If 8 minute Orion didn't do it for you then the 8 minute song i picked for that might need some help :D

fixxxer wrote: »
    Oh lordy. Necro may I interest you in a few pints before the last category? If 8 minute Orion didn't do it for you then the 8 minute song i picked for that might need some help :D

Depends. Does it have lyrics :D

I've honestly mostly forgotten what everyone has submitted (as is evident from our muck up re kitten/Banjo last night), I check the day of to compile the reveal.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Depends. Does it have lyrics :D

I've honestly mostly forgotten what everyone has submitted (as is evident from our muck up re kitten/Banjo last night), I check the day of to compile the reveal.

It has the best lyrics. It is the best song. In the World. Ever.

It has the best lyrics. It is the best song. In the World. Ever.

Can't believe you picked the same song as me!

That, I'm afraid, like the idea that you invented a term that predates your birth, is an opinion Mollyb60, not a fact. But one which you are entitled to hold close.

Well that it's my opinion I thought went without saying. :rolleyes: Apparently not.

Can't believe you picked the same song as me!

He didn't. Yours I remember for reasons I will explain at the reveal :cool:

Not saying if good or bad, obviously :P

Mollyb60 wrote:
    Well that it's my opinion I thought went without saying. Apparently not.

Well tbf it was definitely your thread that sparked me to use that term, so there's that :pac:

Clearly good - as I said with my entry, that song was a gift to you :p

• Advertisement

Well that it's my opinion I thought went without saying. :rolleyes: Apparently not.

Because the factual answer for sexiest instrument is a theramin, if being played by Alison Goldfrapp ;)

Ominous :pac:

I must have misunderstood what you meant when you said it was a fact. Is this another of those terms that you invented that has a pre-existing meaning?
    Anyway, we can throw sick burns at eachother all day (but let's take that offline) or just never speak of it again. Let me know which boosts my chances in your Walrus!

What would you have picked QB?

Or, if I'd known this secret rule, I might have submitted a Leonard Cohen track, as he was still producing music up until his death.

Or, if I'd known this secret rule, I might have submitted a Leonard Cohen track, as he was still producing music up until his death.

There was a secret rule? I didn't make any secret rules....

• Advertisement

There was a secret rule? I didn't make any secret rules....

That you didn’t have to have died young in the Forever Young category so long as you were still making new music.

That you didn’t have to have died young in the Forever Young category so long as you were still making new music.

I didn't make any rules, the players decided that themselves. :p

Technically you didn't have to have died at all.
    It said "Taken from us". If Chris Cornell was alive, but had continued working with Timbaland, I think he'd qualify as Taken From Us :D

Just reading through and I'm glad I'm not the only one questioning the rules :p

A fair number there I wouldn't have thought qualified

I'm surprised by the lack of Amy Winehouse, Jimi Hendrix and the Manics, and surprised no one else went for Nirvana

Actually my choice was not on the death of Bowie himself but the metaphorical death of Ziggy Stardust who Bowie killed off in his prime and Amsterdam was released in the wake of his death :P :D

And also shame on ye for taking the round seriously and not even a mention of Ian Curtis, Janis Joplin or Marc Bolan :D

Actually my choice was not on the death of Bowie himself but the metaphorical death of Ziggy Stardust who Bowie killed off in his prime and Amsterdam was released in the wake of his death :P :D
    Brilliant :pac:

...not even a mention of Ian Curtis, Janis Joplin or Marc Bolan :D
    I nearly went for Joy Division. I don't actually remember them from the time though, whereas I was 15 when Kurt Cobain died and it tore me apart

Just reading through and I'm glad I'm not the only one questioning the rules :p

A fair number there I wouldn't have thought qualified

I'm surprised by the lack of Amy Winehouse, Jimi Hendrix and the Manics, and surprised no one else went for Nirvana

Obvious choices but seeing as the connoisseur choice of Cliff Burton/Orion got called musical **** then I'm sure they would have done well.

No I'm not bitter but thanks for asking.

I nearly went for Joy Division. I don't actually remember them from the time though, whereas I was 15 when Kurt Cobain died and it tore me apart

Ye I was ten when Kurt Cobain died so dont really remember much and only got into them at a later stage.

Both tragic but amazing musicians.

Obvious choices but seeing as the connoisseur choice of Cliff Burton/Orion got called musical **** then I'm sure they would have done well.

No I'm not bitter but thanks for asking.

You still beat me :p

No I'm not bitter but thanks for asking

At least you weren't replaced at the last second by an imposter and all your points were given to KittenK!
    Bitter?
    Yes.
    Bit 'im too!

• Advertisement

And also shame on ye for taking the round seriously and not even a mention of Ian Curtis, Janis Joplin or Marc Bolan :D

Not the one I submitted to Molly's, but would have definitely been a contender for this one for me too.

Possibly something by someone who'll appear in my entry to Molly and ALC's Walrus, so I'll leave you hanging until then :)
    Not the one I submitted to Molly's, but would have definitely been a contender for this one for me too.

Feel free to suggest a song while you are taking swipes or promoting another game. :)

It should go without saying folks, but just in case...

We will be accepting non Michael Flatley-related material for the 'Lord of the Dance' category.

Lord/Lady of the Dance: One of Necro’s favourite things about music is how it makes people hit the floor and get their boogie on when they hear a certain song. Send us one that gets you on your feet and grooving everytime you hear it!!

Aiming to reveal this round from about 8pm tomorrow evening after discussions with my co-judge :)

At least you weren't replaced at the last second by an imposter and all your points were given to KittenK!
    Bitter?
    Yes.
    Bit 'im too!

Who said that? Is that you kitten?

:pac:

I just took the category as people who had died, who have made such amazing music they are immortalised by that music. Although doesnt seem to be what the mods intended either :pac: lets just say we are all right especially me just being a little righter then everyone.

I just took the category as people who had died, who have made such amazing music they are immortalised by that music. Although doesnt seem to be what the mods intended either :pac: lets just say we are all right especially me just being a little righter then everyone.

Nah that was my assumption too. Though to assume makes an... well you know the rest ;)

I think in every round of every walrus I've made my own rules which are quite restrictive, I then rigidly stick to them even though no one else knows what they are :p

I think in every round of every walrus I've made my own rules which are quite restrictive, I then rigidly stick to them even though no one else knows what they are :p

Its the only way to go about things, i employ a similar strategy, except my rules are very open so open when i look back ive no idea how i managed to land on songs sometimes :)

• Advertisement

If there was confusion with this round, it was solely my fúck up.

The main idea I had was in the description: So many artists have been taken from us in their prime or before their time, but not without leaving some treasure for us to sift through for the rest of our own days. Give us a song from one of those artists who means a lot to you.

'Forever Young' was just a title that came to mind after that, something not too serious to label the round, but in retrospect...milk was a bad choice.

Of course, we could then get into the debate of 'Was Bowie still in his prime?' and has been pointed out, Leonard Cohen could have been entered in this round.

However, that thankfully didn't happen and I'm happy with the mix of artists and tunes I got to hear in this round.

Advertisement