Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

You're dead to me Stu

I know, I know :o

On another day, Bed of Roses, Don't Stop Believing and another tune yet to come are the Top 3 in this category for me. It's just...it's like giving my siblings all the top jobs at my new company while ignoring other candidates who are equally as good but just not as familiar to me.

Also, I've been gigging some of them rock songs for 20 years now and that unfortunately takes its toll on the grá too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ha ha, I love GLC! Seen them live loads, you will not have more fun at any other gig!

fixxxer wrote: »
    Interesting disparity between write up and score there Stu, to me at least. Reads much better than the score.

Thanks for noticing that Fixxxer. Absolutely, this round was really tough to score because I genuinely love many songs in this category, even ones which aren't in the Top 10.

Edit: With Bed of Roses, I just rated it as my least favourite out of 3 similar songs which were submitted in this round which I all love. Plus, although we didn't talk about it, I had a feeling Necro's score would help Bed of Roses find its more rightful final placing ;)

quickbeam wrote: »
    I told you, Necro!!! You accused me of editing quoted posts! :confused:

Wait...did I uncover something here? Is there drama coming??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

IllegalAromaticCicada-size_restricted.gif

On its way!

4th Place - Seal - Kiss From A Rose

Necro: Ah Seal - one I was actually thinking of when compiling the categories. It really is a great little love song. The only thing about this is that I feel I need to be in a specific type of mood to listen to it. So for that reason it doesn’t score as high for me as maybe it should.

Stu Redman: I just love this song, and Seal's voice is a gift from the cosmos. I was a complete Batman freak when those original Batman movies were released and by the time Batman Forever was released I was really falling in love with music. That (shyte, let's be fair) movie had two chooooons which hooked me - This song, plus U2's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me. Kiss From A Rose has such grandeur, the lyrics tell a love story, the music adds that tinge of melancholy and mystery. Plus it has a riffing fcuking oboe. Pure class.

Scores:
    Necro: 8th
    Stu: 3rd

14 points to
    Barney92

A STU TOP 3!!

HYPE!!

• Advertisement

I know, I know :o

On another day, Bed of Roses, Don't Stop Believing and another tune yet to come are the Top 3 in this category for me. It's just...it's like giving my siblings all the top jobs at my new company while ignoring other candidates who are equally as good but just not as familiar to me.

Also, I've been gigging some of them rock songs for 20 years now and that unfortunately takes its toll on the grá too.

OK, OK, you can make it up to me on the next category ;)

Still have songs from 4 left to go...

Including two first time entrants.

Standard is just going up, I might have to retire from submitting :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Wait...did I uncover something here? Is there drama coming??

Nah, all good. Just glad to be proved right :P

Ha ha, I love GLC! Seen them live loads, you will not have more fun at any other gig!

Discovery of the round for me, really ended up loving that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Discovery of the round for me, really ended up loving that.
    But not enough to place it first :pac:

• Advertisement

Ooops.

I missed one scrolling through my document.

:o

sullivlo wrote: »
    But not enough to place it first :pac:

Well, it was a really good round with much enjoyment to be had in the listening.

I won't have that difficulty in the next round though :(

Ok so I'm going to edit the others but apologies sully...

6th Place - Rent - Seasons of Love

Necro: This song suffers probably undeservedly simply because the ones above it are just on another level for me. I like this tune a lot, love the start and the way the groups voices work so well together. Unfortunately I just can’t move one of the ones above down for it.

Stu Redman: Didn't recognize the song by name and Rent is a musical which has so far eluded me. Listening to that syncopated piano/org intro, I instantly love it. Fcuk, gospel choir too? Yeah bring this on. Oh wait, I know this song well but just never knew the name. It was used in Scrubs or something similar on TV? Anyway, pure happy vibes from this. Yeah, the chorus is a bit too 'Broadway Encore', and is the weaker part of the song for me, but that '525600' hook over the descending chords, this song's got my number. <<<< That was my reaction while listening for the first time. Ever since, it has been a pure pleasure to hear this spin on the playlist.

Scores:
    Necro: 11th
    Stu: 2nd

12 points to
    sullivlo

Another discrepancy, this time my side :o

Was always gonna happen.

Stu's number 3 and 2 have dropped though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I’m happy with that. It was a risky pick for me!

So after some minor silliness by Necro, normal programming has resumed

TOP 3 HYPE for

Kolido
    Tammy!
    fixxxer

3rd Place - Queen - The Show Must Go On

Necro: Queen and Necro are a funny combination. On one hand, I absolutely love Freddy Mercury and his voice. Along with that my mum is a massive fan and went to see Queen live more than any other band, so it’s kind of part of my musical DNA if that’s a thing. On the other hand… I find myself turning off early cos Queen is massively overplayed in my house. Show Must Go On is not among my fave ones either. Great song, but there are better submissions imo.

Stu Redman: An anthem and a mantra in my life. I've missed too much just because the show must go on, most recently the latest FG beers! Unfortunately though, this was written because Freddie Mercury was soon to miss life due to illness. Between the likes of this song, Barcelona, the Made in Heaven album, it's just astounding and inspiring what Freddie achieved and pushed himself through in order to work his craft until the very end. Dramatic, epic, right there in your face, The Show Must Go On is Queen at their anthemic best.

Scores:
    Necro: 7th
    Stu: 4th

15 points to
    fixxxer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great choice Fixxer

2nd Place - Guns’N’Roses - November Rain

Necro: I mean this is one of my favourite songs ever. Absolute belter of a tune and I don’t give a damn how long it is! Dat guitar solo… Ah I’m just gonna let you listen to this great great track, no review required. But for a few more words - purple monkey dishwasher I guess? I just love Guns’N’Roses and November Rain in particular.

Stu Redman: Ah look, it's November Rain. This category could probably be called 'The November Rain Round', whoever submitted it has basically entered a cheat code Tbh though, I'm a little November Rained out of it at this point in my life. The song is objectively a masterpiece, that 'I'm coming to fcuk all your sh1t up' intro to the epic outro, it's absolutely one of my favorite GnR songs. However, there's nothing new for me to mine there. That's not the fault of whoever submitted this, so I will keep objectivity in mind when scoring this. In this category, I guess we were looking for the likes of Slash riffing in the desert in front of a church, Richie Sambora on top of a fcuking mountain So hair and rock ballads score well in my world for the most part, November Rain the best of them for this round.

Scores:
    Necro: 3rd
    Stu: 5th

16 points to
    Kolido

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Very pleased that got so high. Love Queen so much. My house would have been similar to yours so Necro, mum had them on all the time.

So that leaves just one.

And individually both of us came to the same conclusion on this song.

I hope you will all agree :pac:

• Advertisement

1st Place - Lynryd Skynyrd - Simple Man

Necro: Ok so I’ve never heard this song before - and it’s completely blown me away. I can’t stop listening to it. Initially I was considering it for around mid-table but man the song just sinks in and I love it. That guitar riff, that chorus - the lyrics, it’s just the whole package. Thank you so much for this entry.
    You know sometimes when a song just hits you right in 'that' spot and just becomes something you want to replay over and over and over and... well you get the point.

But that's how the entry was for me anyways.

Stu Redman: One of the greatest ever for me. This is a love song, but also a powerful anthem for many a man. I've seen some tough and stoic bastards shed tears and chant aloud to this as they fall into a world of their own once that chorus takes hold. It also seems to be a pillar of strength for some friends of mine who lost their mothers way too early in life. Can't deny that power and emotion, that's what music is all about for me and that is why Simple Man is my Number 1 in this category. I love the likes of November Rain, Bed of Roses, Kiss From a Rose, but I wholly relate to Simple Man.

Scores:
    Necro: 1st
    Stu: 1st

17 points to
    Tammy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Absolute choons tonight lads. Very good category. Congrats tammy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great first place choice Tammy and deserved the unanimous judgement.

Really enjoyable category overall, some brilliant choices. Thanks Stu and Necro great reveal.

Congrats Tammy!

Don't know it but I've lost control of the TV now, I'll have to catch up in a bit

Thanks Necro and Stu, great reveal :)

And for your easy perusal...

The Ballad of Chasey Lain

Hoping to be back on Wednesday with some Irish songs selected by you :D

Congrats to the top 3.

Tammy though - you stared into my soul with that pick :) Thanks again.

Thanks for all the entries!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Some great tunes and a worthy winner there. Well done tammy!

Necro wrote: »
    3rd Place - Queen - The Show Must Go On

Necro: Queen and Necro are a funny combination. On one hand, I absolutely love Freddy Mercury and his voice. Along with that my mum is a massive fan and went to see Queen live more than any other band, so it’s kind of part of my musical DNA if that’s a thing. On the other hand… I find myself turning off early cos Queen is massively overplayed in my house. Show Must Go On is not among my fave ones either. Great song, but there are better submissions imo.

Stu Redman: An anthem and a mantra in my life. I've missed too much just because the show must go on, most recently the latest FG beers! Unfortunately though, this was written because Freddie Mercury was soon to miss life due to illness. Between the likes of this song, Barcelona, the Made in Heaven album, it's just astounding and inspiring what Freddie achieved and pushed himself through in order to work his craft until the very end. Dramatic, epic, right there in your face, The Show Must Go On is Queen at their anthemic best.

Scores:
    Necro: 7th
    Stu: 4th

15 points to
    fixxxer

Bit confused how this works. How did this get 3rd if you both ranked it 4th and 7th individually?

After Category 1 the table looks like this:

Name Ballad of Chasey Lain
    Tammy! 17
    Kolido 16
    fixxxer 15
    Barney92 14
    Banjo 13
    sullivlo 12
    Electric Nitwit 11
    Mollyb60 10
    partyjungle 9
    osh 8
    Pretzill 7
    Green&Red 6
    kitten_k 5
    Homer J. Fong 4
    Rikand 3
    MicksJaguar 2
    Sheridan1 1

Still a long way to go yet though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ah well at least it wasn’t last. Was gonna submit everything I do but thought it might be over played and have scored lower

• Advertisement

Bit confused how this works. How did this get 3rd if you both ranked it 4th and 7th individually?

Ah I'm glad you asked - we both ranked them out of 17, and then combined the scores to give a top tier.

Ties are decided by who picked the category and where the song ranked for them.

So the combined score table looks like this

Entry Combined Score Walrus Score
    Simple Man 34 17
    November Rain 28 16
    Show Must Go On 25 15
    Kiss From A Rose 25 14
    You Knows I Love You 24 13
    Seasons Of Love 23 12
    Bed of Roses 22 11
    Raise Your Glass 22 10
    Don't Stop Believin 20 9
    I Wanna Know What Love Is 17 8
    Make It With You 14 7
    Butterflies 13 6
    Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman 13 5
    Grapefruit Moon 11 4
    Wasn't Expecting That 6 3
    Paul Brady 6 2
    It Can't Rain All The Time 3 1

And Show Must Go On was higher in my ratings than Kissed By A Rose so earned third place.
    Ditto with any other ties.

Advertisement