Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

4th: Don't Believe A Word - Thin Lizzy

Stu:
    Pure, distinctive Lizzy. The twin guitar harmonies, the driving momentum of the tune, that simplistic but very effective end to the tune. I've been gigging this as long as Dancing in the Moonlight, but I haven't gotten that same fatigue from it yet. Both these songs however are from a group of Lizzy songs which I don't listen to so much these days. Something like Still In Love With You off Live and Dangerous, or like Emerald, would have scored even better with me as I do still spin them for enjoyment. As overplayed as it is, I think Boys Are Back In Town would have done quite well in this category too. Its international reach and acclaim as a song cannot be denied, much like Thin Lizzy's as a band.

Necro: I love the guitar in this, I just want to jam along with it all night. It's short, sweet but is all kinds of what I like about music. Loving this entry!

Scores

Stu: 6th
    Necro: 3rd
    Overall:
    14 points to
    Sheridan

Wow, helluva comeback for this player in this round, well done! I honestly don't know who submitted the songs until a few minutes before I make a reveal post.

Pretzill wrote: »
    My favourite U2 track is Running to stand still - "I see seven towers but I only see one way out..." gives me chills.

Anything off that album would have rated highly with me, even something like I Still Haven't Found...which I never really listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yay, more Thin Lizzy :)
    Enjoying this too, I really must educate myself

Ha ha, "extended version", 2:46

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

We have so many great musicians in this country past and present.

Top 3 coming up. Just looking at the remaining contestants, we have...
    Tammy
    Green and Red
    Electric Nitwit

Recap so far...

16th: The Button Pusher - Dubliners. Fixxer

15th: The Sick Note - Dubliners/Sean Cannon. Barney.

14th: Saints and Angels - Waterboys and Sharon Shannon. Sully.

13th: Saints and Sinners - Paddy Casey. Kitten.

12th: Guiding Light - Foy Vance. Molly.

11th: Amie - Damien Rice. Micks.

10th: Dancing In The Moonlight - Thin Lizzy. Osh.

9th: She Scattered Crumbs - Ger Wolfe. Pretzil.

8th: To The Bright And Shining Sun - The Walls. Rikand.

7th: Winesong - The Mary Janes. Banjo.

6th: Troy - Sinead O'Connor. Homer J.

5th: With Or Without You - U2. Kolido and PJ.

4th: Don't Believe A Word - Thin Lizzy. Sheridan.

tumblr_nqrzo5HYRa1u3fjbgo1_500.gif

3rd: The Streets Of New York - The Wolfe Tones

Stu:
    A song I was put off listening to until later in life, due to a similarly named song 'The Streets of London' bringing about memories of torture in music class at secondary school. "Fúck all that, the only streets I care about are the ones which have no name" was my foolish attitude for a while. Maybe it's good that The Streets of New York came to me in later life, because I instantly liked it and although I haven't emigrated, I related to themes and certain lyrics within the song, and I have been lost and lonely in NYC a couple of times before. Have a few of my own NYC stories and scribblings, and I love songs from all genres about the Big Apple. This one seems to be a coming of age story, a life story, a love letter to home, so many things in there for a listener to relate to.

Trad ballads can have a tendency to go on...and on...and on, like some of my WW posts, without adding much except more verses of lyrics. Not this though, it doesn't outstay its welcome. A nice sing-along outro to send us warmly on our way despite the song's bittersweet tales, The Streets of New York is a wonderful Irish song.

Necro:
    This is such a beautiful song told in the form of a story, I was going to submit it myself for Ecto's but deigned against it. It's a sad story of emigration, adaptation and loss and just really resonates with me. Top marks!

Scores

Stu: 5th
    Necro: 1st

Overall: 3rd
    15 points to
    Green&Red

Top 2 spoiler...

Much like Christy Moore, Van Morrison will not be making an appearance here tonight...yis heathens :eek:

Whatever one's thoughts on U2 (and Bono in particular), With Or Without You is a classic. Considered choosing it myself but figured I wouldn't be the only one if I did!

Sowwy to the person submitting it - it's genuinely not you, it's me :(
    Pretzill wrote: »
    I'm with Necro on this one. And I love Cloudbustung and anything (particularly the entire Kick inside album) by Kate Bush but I just don't get Sinead O Connor.

Hmph. :mad:

N2MPhV5.png

I'm just gonna pretend Necro doesn't count and thank Stu for giving me 3rd place. :D

Troy is certainly not the most accessible Sinéad O'Connor song but for me it is her best. Has an epic feel to it, and like Stu discussed it's incredible to think she wrote it at such a young age.

Top 2 spoiler...

Much like Christy Moore, Van Morrison will not be making an appearance here tonight...yis heathens :eek:

Still time for Jedward though, right?

• Advertisement

Whatever one's thoughts on U2 (and Bono in particular), With Or Without You is a classic. Considered choosing it myself but figured I wouldn't be the only one if I did!

Hmph. :mad:

N2MPhV5.png

I'm just gonna pretend Necro doesn't count and thank Stu for giving me 3rd place. :D

Troy is certainly not the most accessible Sinéad O'Connor song but for me it is her best. Has an epic feel to it, and like Stu discussed it's incredible to think she wrote it at such a young age.

Any chance you could change that quote to 'Necro' who actually said it? :D jk

Much like Kate Bush when she wrote some of her hits, Sinead was so young when she hit her prime.

Still time for Jedward though, right?

Ah feck it, if I had have been clever enough I would have had a reveal post and spiels written for Jedward :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Some Walrus debut for Tammy!

Top 3 in both of the categories so far.... but will it be two No. 1s in a row....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

If she gets No. 1 again I'm going to question whether she's married to Stu or Necro.:D

Any chance you could change that quote to 'Necro' who actually said it? :D jk
    My apologies, good sir.
    I've rectified this now, I hope to your satisfaction. ;)

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    If she gets No. 1 again I'm going to question whether she's married to Stu or Necro.:D

*Checks wife's phone*

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2nd: Shadow Play - Rory Gallagher

Stu:
    Someone once asked Jimi Hendrix how did it feel to be the best guitarist in the world. You wanna know what Jimi answered? He said "It feels pretty fúcking great, thanks very much, are you skinning up?" :D

But there was a young guy, Donegal-born and Cork-raised, who some say could wipe the floor with Jimi, and even if none of that shít matters to you, just know that Rory Gallagher is ranked and rated very highly by guitarists the world over. Well, what does all that flashiness mean if you can't write a song? As Rory demonstrates here with Shadow Play, that's not something he had to worry about. Probably my favorite Gallagher song, this is number 1 here.

For a live performance full of energy and talent, check out Rory and his band playing Shadow Play live at Montreux in 1979. I get exhausted just from watching it.

Necro:
    This is great, I really like it. I'm not very versed in Irish artists tbh but this is a real belter without being too overblown. Love the guitar riffs and the solo in the middle - *kisses fingers*

Scores

Stu: 1st
    Necro: 4th

Overall: 2nd
    16 points to
    ***Tammy***

Holy shít
    Tammy
    , I dig your taste.

Sheridan81 wrote: »

I swear...

I am NOT Ron Swanson.

(Reference could be lost if you never watched Parks and Recreation)

Quick guesses for the winner while I do up the final reveal post?

It's obvious enough, or at least will be when you know.

• Advertisement

Confession time: I don't think I've ever actually listened to Rory Gallagher. :o Tonight is as good a night as any to remedy this. (And I'm from Cork!)

EDIT: Ok, am only 90 seconds in but I like! Thank you Tammy. :)

Quick guesses for the winner while I do up the final reveal post?

It's obvious enough, or at least will be when you know.

Electric Nitwit?

:pac::pac::pac:

2nd: Shadow Play - Rory Gallagher

That's awesome!

1st: Zombie - The Cranberries

Stu:
    Like I joked with November Rain in that last round, Zombie could be the cheat code for this round. Nearly everyone universally agrees that Zombie is a classic, whereas with something like With or Without You, Bono can be just way too off-putting for all to get on board with his music. A very important song in our recent history, a stark and powerful reminder that we can't go back there. I love Delores' voice in general, but the Cranberries songs can be very hit or miss with me. No denying the power of this one though.

Necro:
    How to aptly describe a song revered by many? None required, I'd be doing it a disservice tbh. Love it love it love it.

Scores

Stu: 2nd
    Necro: 2nd

Overall: 1st and winner!
    17 points to
    Electric Nitwit

Congratulations to our winner!!!

582337.gif

Necro wrote: »
    Electric Nitwit?

:pac::pac::pac:

Ya bollix :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

This is a playlist I could see on heavy rotation. Would probably have gone for Frames or Mundy myself :)

Whoo-hoo, my first win! :)

I kind of thought it was too obvious too and listened to loads more but just kept coming back, time and time again. I loved their first album and remember this coming out and blowing my mind. It still has that power over me, I love it so much

And to think, I almost picked Daffodil Lament :p

Discovery of the round for me was Shadowplay. I like Dancing In The Moonlight and Zombie too, but I've overplayed Zombie a bit at this stage.

Well that round in general was looking like it was going to be a tougher nut for me to crack than the 1st round, but I ended up really enjoying it and picking up a few new songs and artists to explore.

Thanks to all our entrants, a great mix of tunes there. Special thanks to all who have been present on the reveal nights so far, it'd be pretty shít if it were just Necro and I putting up reveal posts and WWE gifs.

Next round is Eurovision. I enjoyed hosting tonight, but am delighted to hand the mic back over to Necro for that round. Oh good gawd...I've to go and listen to those now, been putting it off until the last possible minute :D

Expect one-liners from me in the next round!

Favourite Irish Songs Playlist available for YouTube perusing right now :)

Scores coming shortly ;)

• Advertisement

Whoo-hoo, my first win! :)

I kind of thought it was too obvious too and listened to loads more but just kept coming back, time and time again. I loved their first album and remember this coming out and blowing my mind. It still has that power over me, I love it so much

And to think, I almost picked Daffodil Lament :p

:eek:

That would have scored even...well it would have done very well.

A tune I wasn't aware of until I met the OH, and it's fúcking brilliant.

If I may be permitted an indulgence, I usually like to go more obscure in these games but couldn't fight Zombie. However, if you've never heard this give it a try...

Well done EN great choice :D

This was the other song I hummed around, for whatever reason I'm a big fan of Damien Dempsey but most I know hate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Great win EN - brilliant track. Really enjoyed the reveal some fascinating musical insights and a few to catch up on. Thanks Necro & Stu

So here we go, it was very very tight between the top 3...

Song Name Combined Score Walrus Score Entrant
    Zombie 32 17 Electric Nitwit
    Shadow Play 31 16 Tammy!
    Streets of New York 30 15 Green&Red
    Don't Believe A Word 27 14 Sheridan81
    With Or Without You 25 13 Kolido/partyjungle
    Troy 21 12 Homer J. Fong
    Winesong 20 11 Banjo
    Bright And Shining Sun 20 10 Rikand
    She Scattered Crumbs 19 9 Pretzill
    Dancing In The Moonlight 19 8 osh
    Amie 17 7 MicksJaguar
    Guiding Light 12 6 Mollyb60
    Saints & Sinners 10 5 kitten_k
    Saints & Angels 10 4 sullivlo
    Sick Note 8 3 Barney92
    Button Pusher 4 2 fixxxer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭kitten_k

13th again - wonder will it be a running theme!!

And the scores over two rounds....

Name Ballad of Chasey Lain Irish Songs Total
    Tammy! 17 16 33
    Kolido 16 13 29
    fixxxer 15 2 17
    Barney92 14 3 17
    Banjo 13 11 24
    sullivlo 12 4 16
    Electric Nitwit 11 17 28
    Mollyb60 10 6 16
    partyjungle 9 13 22
    osh 8 8 16
    Pretzill 7 9 16
    Green&Red 6 15 21
    kitten_k 5 5 10
    Homer J. Fong 4 12 16
    Rikand 3 10 13
    MicksJaguar 2 7 9
    Sheridan1 1 14 15

And how that table looks when we rank it

Name Score
    Tammy! 33
    Kolido 29
    Electric Nitwit 28
    Banjo 24
    partyjungle 22
    Green&Red 21
    fixxxer 17
    Barney92 17
    osh 16
    sullivlo 16
    Mollyb60 16
    Pretzill 16
    Homer J. Fong 16
    Sheridan81 15
    Rikand 13
    kitten_k 10
    MicksJaguar 9

Meaning that Tammy! has a 4 point lead over Kolido after two categories.

Still 4 left to go though, and there's a myriad of players level in the midtable mire....

O no and My Eurovision song aint going to help matters I'd imagine :D

It's easy to not know or to forget just how huge the Cranberries were. Big in the US, in South America and in East Asia. When I spent a few months in China some years back, I remember hearing Zombie in a bar in Nanjing; seemed surreal at the time. I agree with Stu that they were very hit and miss but Zombie is an all-time classic and a very strong winner for this category. Good job EN. :)

While I'm here, just wanna give an honourable mention to some other songs that I almost chose for this category:

And since there was much less U2 than I had expected:

• Advertisement

I'm out of the relegation zone, that's good enough for me.

I am hoping to get the Eurovision category underway sometime Sunday, however I'm working at 12 midnight so it will likely have to be an earlier start time. I'm thinking maybe 6pm if that suits people.

Not gonna lie, Eurovision is the category I'm looking forward to most here. There have been some genuinely great Eurovision songs throughout the years (among all the terrible ones) and also some really great songs by artists who competed in Eurovision.

I actually had trouble picking a song for the Eurovision category because I felt like there were too many good options to go with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Well done EN and Tammy's second big score is slightly of concern :D

Here's two that I might have gone for if I'd remembered them in time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Speed to my side! Haven't heard that in years!

I was on the national express once years ago with my Mrs. I ordered crisps and tea. I don't really drink tea but I liked the song. She still laughs at me for that.

My runner up (cause the frames are so good it's cheating)

It's easy to not know or to forget just how huge the Cranberries were. Big in the US, in South America and in East Asia. When I spent a few months in China some years back, I remember hearing Zombie in a bar in Nanjing; seemed surreal at the time. I agree with Stu that they were very hit and miss but Zombie is an all-time classic and a very strong winner for this category. Good job EN. :)

While I'm here, just wanna give an honourable mention to some other songs that I almost chose for this category:

Great choices there Homer. There were a myriad of songs and artists missing tonight, even genres. We really have a very rich musical culture for such a small island.

Edit: As osh has also shown with his choices above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Confession time: I don't think I've ever actually listened to Rory Gallagher. :o Tonight is as good a night as any to remedy this. (And I'm from Cork!)

EDIT: Ok, am only 90 seconds in but I like! Thank you Tammy. :)

You should listen to Crest of a Wave Homer. That's actually my favourite by him but I was listening to Shadow Play the day I sent in my entries which I also love. He's so underrated.

Well done Electric!! and also love Daffodil Lament.

No Teenage Kicks mentioned?? I was thinking of it after...it's so irish....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PinCg7IGqHg

5th: With Or Without You - U2

Stu:
    Probably the song which first brought me to U2, a band I was a big fan of for much of the 90s, peaking with their two Slane concerts in 2001. Not too long after that, I hit my 20s, life got darker or a bit more complex, so did my tastes. I'll always have a love for U2's earlier music though, will never deny that, and the Joshua Tree is one of my favorite albums from anyone. I'm not gonna shíte on about it too much or try to break it down, it's With or Without You, you either love it or you don't. The song sold thousands of E-bows and the album millions of delay pedals, this song and the album its from were a gamechanger.

Necro:
    So I kind of mentioned before about Bono... we all know he's an insufferable arsehole. It doesn't take away from this being one of my favourite songs though tbh. Suffers a bit from the duplicate entry and being a tad overplayed but is always going to score well with me. It's a choon at the end of the day. WOAH OH OH OH!

Scores

Stu: 4th
    Necro: 7th
    Overall: 5th
    13 points EACH to
    Partyjungle
    and
    Kolido

Fun fact: I sang this at a wedding when plastered drunk. It was 3 or 4am, there was a microphone going around and people were singing whatever they felt like. I barely remember it. I cannot sing, let alone sing a song like this. I cleared the room. There's a video of it that I can barely watch without crawling into a ball of cringe. It's now become a thing at most weddings I've been at since, where someone on guitar will start playing it and I'll be egged on to sing it. I've since had to learn the words off by heart as its happened so frequently.

Tammy! wrote: »
    You should listen to Crest of a Wave Homer. That's actually my favourite by him but I was listening to Shadow Play the day I sent in my entries which I also love. He's so underrated.

Well done Electric!! and also love Daffodil Lament.

No Teenage Kicks mentioned?? I was thinking of it after...it's so irish....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PinCg7IGqHg

Never knew that was Irish actually

• Advertisement

Fun fact: I sang this at a wedding when plastered drunk. It was 3 or 4am, there was a microphone going around and people were singing whatever they felt like. I barely remember it. I cannot sing, let alone sing a song like this. I cleared the room. There's a video of it that I can barely watch without crawling into a ball of cringe. It's now become a thing at most weddings I've been at since, where someone on guitar will start playing it and I'll be egged on to sing it. I've since had to learn the words off by heart as its happened so frequently.

So you gonna post the video then? :D

Advertisement