Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

Ah it looks like the wife is home, the ol' ball and chain, the aul' trouble and strife.

Hello Tammy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Ah it looks like the wife is home, the ol' ball and chain, the aul' trouble and strife.

Hello Tammy :D

Sshhhh Stu :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I've enjoyed this so far, really do think the second judge is giving a great dynamic, not least because Stu is a musical fountain of knowledge.

Must try and expand my reviews a bit more for future rounds :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Banjo wrote: »
    Speed to my side! Haven't heard that in years!

I was on the national express once years ago with my Mrs. I ordered crisps and tea. I don't really drink tea but I liked the song. She still laughs at me for that.

My runner up (cause the frames are so good it's cheating)

we don't need nobody else

just u n me

just u n me

just u n me
    just u n me
    just u n me

My apologies, good sir.
    I've rectified this now, I hope to your satisfaction. ;)

Just saw that now, gas :pac:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111111036&postcount=260

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Necro wrote: »
    I've enjoyed this so far, really do think the second judge is giving a great dynamic, not least because Stu is a musical fountain of knowledge.

When it's your turn putting up the posts just swap whatever you say say with what stu says :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Tammy & Stu sound like an American country double act. :)

Not looking forward to the Eurovision category, I admit I was a little lost here.

It's been great with two judges, just to offer two completely different perspectives on something which can be so subjective anyway. Music critics and criticism is something I'm a bit precarious about. I mean, I would let a critic's opinion decide if I would go to see a movie in the cinema or wait until it was streaming, but it seems that I never let a critic's opinion decide whether I listen to an album/song/artist or not. So I do this with utmost respect for the songs I'm 'judging'.

I know 'a little about a lot' when it comes to music rather than being anywhere near all-knowing. Just been kinda living music and heavily involved with it for the past 15-20 years full-time. Very lucky that I get to do what I love for a living, even if as a self-employed worker I'm dirt on the souls of the government's shoes :D

That was top craic tonight anyway, really enjoyed the participation with everyone. I'm approaching Eurovision with an open mind btw. Of course, I was raised in a family who ran Eurovision pools for the craic, they still do and enter me out of habit. It's just...it's not my strong point at all these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,270 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Surprised not to see

Or even more surprising...

In the ballad section!

osh wrote: »
    So you gonna post the video then? :D

Oh god I managed to find it rather quickly. I can't bring myself to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You don't have to watch it PJ, just post it here so we can watch it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

3rd: The Streets Of New York - The Wolfe Tones

Stu:
    A song I was put off listening to until later in life, due to a similarly named song 'The Streets of London' bringing about memories of torture in music class at secondary school. "Fúck all that, the only streets I care about are the ones which have no name" was my foolish attitude for a while. Maybe it's good that The Streets of New York came to me in later life, because I instantly liked it and although I haven't emigrated, I related to themes and certain lyrics within the song, and I have been lost and lonely in NYC a couple of times before. Have a few of my own NYC stories and scribblings, and I love songs from all genres about the Big Apple. This one seems to be a coming of age story, a life story, a love letter to home, so many things in there for a listener to relate to.

Trad ballads can have a tendency to go on...and on...and on, like some of my WW posts, without adding much except more verses of lyrics. Not this though, it doesn't outstay its welcome. A nice sing-along outro to send us warmly on our way despite the song's bittersweet tales, The Streets of New York is a wonderful Irish song.

Necro:
    This is such a beautiful song told in the form of a story, I was going to submit it myself for Ecto's but deigned against it. It's a sad story of emigration, adaptation and loss and just really resonates with me. Top marks!

Scores

Stu: 5th
    Necro: 1st

Overall: 3rd
    15 points to
    Green&Red

I f**king love this song, as Stu says just long enough. It reminds me of a million great nites in Flannery’s when the DJ used to be in that little box

G&R's post of Dublin memories is reminding me of a good song, and a band, we didn't see in the Irish round...

I've started listening to the the Eurovision entries at this stage...not as bad overall as I thought, but I am nearly begging for Jamie Lawson with a few of them :D

Among the submissions are...

- A song I consider one of the very finest.

- A song I had completely forgotten about in life that my mother sang to me as a child :(.....I wasn't expecting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Among the submissions are...

- A song I consider one of the very finest.

You're welcome. But save it for the reveal, it's not fair on the others.

You're welcome. But save it for the reveal, it's not fair on the others.

Yeah, good shout Banjo, plus as we can all guess anyway...Tammy likely submitted it :pac:

Yeah, good shout Banjo, plus as we can all guess anyway...Tammy likely submitted it :pac:

(Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be good advice, it was supposed to be an hilarious "my song was clearly the best" which we both know is not the case. Continue dropping cryptic hints by all means, all hype is good hype)

:D

I highly doubt it! Eurovision and Dance Music are
    definitely not my strongpoint :)

(Sorry, that wasn't supposed to be good advice, it was supposed to be an hilarious "my song was clearly the best" which we both know is not the case. Continue dropping cryptic hints by all means, all hype is good hype)

No no, I was there with you Banjo and got that, but I made a complete balls of it with my reply, and now I'm probably making you regret opening your mouth in the first place :o

Anyway...next round is Necro's to host, I better pipe down a bit and get back to my duties here. I'm not saying that Necro hits me, but he doesn't not hit me..

Round 3 of Necro and Stu's Walrus begins tonight at circa 6pm.

I'm not sure how this round is going to go, I noticed in the sign up thread that some were really struggling with this one. One of the judges is very glad it's over too :pac::pac::pac:

The Eurovision is kind of an enigma in terms of music.

You have the brilliant:

Ok.... not technically an entry but...

You have the bizarre:

And the absolute turkeys... sometimes literally

So what entries have you submitted to us?

Or... did you use (or even notice) the loophole I left for you all if actual Eurovision entries are just not your thing.....

Well we'll all find out together this evening :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I presume actual Eurovision entries will score higher than loophole entries by default ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

What? There was a loophole? :o feck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Loopholes are for the weak!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,557 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I played my better half my choice and the response was "I mean - wow!", pretty sure I've got this in the bag ;)

It wasn't a loophole it was a stated term of requirement! What next, banning all entries from Azerbaijan just because they're the best at Eurovision?

And on an entirely unrelated note, come on loophole Azerbaijani song, bring daddy home the gold!

It wasn't a loophole it was a stated term of requirement! What next, banning all entries from Azerbaijan just because they're the best at Eurovision?

And on an entirely unrelated note, come on loophole Azerbaijani song, bring daddy home the gold!

If your haven't entered Music's Still Alive by Ell & Nikki I will never trust you again

So, a few things about this round.

One song had three players submit the same entry.

Another had two players submit the same entry.

In light of this the scores will start with last place receiving 4 points, same as how the last round was scored with a duplicate.

Overall, I actually enjoyed most of the submissions. Just putting the final touches to the reveal now so only now properly discovering who submitted what, as I launched them all onto a playlist for both judges perusal and never looked again till now.

See you all at 6pm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

You gonna do the scoring in French?

Irlande - Douze Pointe

Er.... probably not :pac:

Woo hoo 4 points locked up

• Advertisement

I just want to make a quick statement here before we start:
    Rumours are just that...rumour, and the more we speak of them the more we lend credibility to them. With that said...the reason I will be scarce for today's prestigious round has nothing to do with Necro refusing to allow me to dress up as Theresa Lowe. Thank you for your understanding.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Loopholes are for the weak!

...and for those who didn't read the blurb correctly for this round. Would a judge do that? No siree, not at all, not me :)

Right I'm here and I have turned off the footie for you all.

Nothing to do with who is winning, no siree.

Getting ready to start in T minus 11 mins.

source.gif

So when doing out the categories for my version of Walrus, I jokingly mentioned in a previous game I would do a Eurovision round,

But the more I thought of it - the more I liked it. Can there possibly be some good music submitted from people based on this category?

How much does Stu hate agreeing to judge this?

Have I asked enough questions yet?

And so, the category was born:

A Song For Europe: Before the Eurovision became a political contest largely dominated by Eastern Bloc loyalties, it was a legitimately fun and novel contest each year. Submit us a song from an artist that contested the Eurovision at any stage in time.

Let's begin shall we?

As I said - we had

3 duplicate entries for 1 song

2 for another

So tonight we have 14 of Europe's finest songs... I think.

14th Place: Morena - Vodka (Malta 2008)

Necro: Europop EXPLOSION! Not for me, gonna say it right now. I just don’t like these songs that try and stick in your head without actually being slightly subtle about it. Vodka over and over again, is this a song or a horrific advertisement campaign? Also this sort of song imo has led to a loss of popularity in the contest in the last decade as there’s multiples of this type of song.. EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. Singer is smoking hot though, so there’s that :P

Stu Redman: Necro, why do you hate me?

Necro: 13th
    Stu: 14th

4 points for
    Tammy! ermagered

Last place??!!

Uh-oh, I hope the divorce isn't too messy

• Advertisement

Yeah, I did a doubletake myself. The brown envelopes must have ceased :pac:

13th Place: Gaitana - Be My Guest (Ukraine 2012)

Necro: This is kinda funky, typical Europop entry of the last 12 or so years. It’s ok I guess.. But it’s also pretty annoying if I’m honest. The chorus drives me mad, there’s something infuriating about her singing Guessssssst in elongated fashion, it’s the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard to me.

Stu Redman: You guys and Necro deserve a much better judge than me for this round, tunes like this are completely lost on me.

Necro: 12th
    Stu: 12th

5 points for
    Rikand... boy did I feel bad when I saw who submitted this

12th Place: France Gall - Poupee de Cire, Poupee de Son

Necro: Yeah this just wasn’t for me. It’s a nice tune but that’s about it. Probably the best thing about it for me is the fact it’s mercifully short. Sorry :( I have a thing about foreign language songs and black and white movies in that I really don’t get any enjoyment out of them. It’s quite a rare occasion when I’ll actually enjoy either so sending one is a risk. And this one just wasn’t for me.

Stu Redman: I'm lost for words now. After thirty-something years, this round has done it :eek:

Necro: 14th
    Stu: 9th

6 points for
    poor osh, I'm sorry

Not sure if video is loading, my laptop is being screwy with videos at the moment on Boards :mad:

Stu Redman: Necro, why do you hate me?
    Stu Redman: You guys and Necro deserve a much better judge than me for this round, tunes like this are completely lost on me
    Stu Redman: I'm lost for words now. After thirty-something years, this round has done it :eek:

It is entertaining watching the emotional breakdown. Sorry Stu :p

11th Place: Jedward - Pop Rocket

Necro: So yeah this happened. Less said about Jedward’s actual Eurovision entry the better if I’m honest. Had that been submitted it would be right near the bottom. But…. I love this bizarre song for tweeners with sexual innuendo absolutely exploding from it. Repetitive, cheesy, suggestive…. What’s not to love? Well ok, maybe not the suggestive part. Tbh in any other category this is bottom of the pile but in a Eurovision one it deserves better than that… in my opinion, at least.

Stu Redman: "Get on my Pop Rocket", is right, we really did stoop that low Nope, can't abide this, the goggles do nothing.

Necro: 7th
    Stu: 13th

7 points for
    Banjo, you absolute lunatic.. Jedward, Jesus

• Advertisement

Singer is smoking hot though, so there’s that :P

I had no clue what to pick for this so I saw that and thought maybe the lovely morena might distract from the song. Plus I do like vodka! I agree though, it is pretty awful :D

10th Place: ABBA - The Day Before You Came

Necro: I was wondering not just what ABBA song would be submitted when creating this category, but how many. As it turns out, just the one shockingly. Unfortunately - as an unashamed ABBA fan (never forget the quiz EN) this just didn’t do for me. It’s a bit… well.. dark exactly as the entrant described it tbh. Forgive me but I love my ABBA happy and dancing. It’s still infinitely better than what came before it though, so there is also that.

Stu Redman: Saw Abba coming up on the playlist and thought 'Ah finally a tune', but Waterloo this is not. I like Abba, they were a serious talent and could write quality pop songs with such ease, but this track isn't one for me right now.

Necro: 9th
    Stu: 10th

8 points for
    Homer J. Fong. Any other ABBA song probably top 3s

Necro: So yeah this happened. Less said about Jedward’s actual Eurovision entry the better if I’m honest. Had that been submitted it would be right near the bottom.

Which one? They blessed us not just once but twice at Eurovision, let us not forget! ;)

They what :eek:

9th Place: Pollaponk - No Prejudice

Necro: So the entrant asked me to look them in the eye and tell them this isn’t a proper Eurovision entry. Well it is, of that there is no doubt. Though is it actually that good? It’s ok I guess. Very colourful, I’ll give it that. But this is about as high as it goes, tbh.

Stu Redman: Yeah this is good as far as punk in Eurovision goes.

Necro: 11th
    Stu: 4th

9 points for
    Electric Punky Nitwit

First major discrepancy between the judges of this round. Will there be more.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Yay not 13th!!!

And there was me thinking everybody was gonna submit ABBA! :pac: Oh well, I think that song is their masterpiece (I love the theory that it's about a murder victim singing from beyond the grave) so no regrets about not picking a "safer" ABBA tune (of which there are many)

Anyway looking forward to seeing what comes out top here, I will be posting up a list of actual Eurovision songs I considered at some point after the reveal is over.

Lol your comments are hilarious Stu

It's crazy when I'm actually adding to the decorum of the round.

Poor Stu... LOL

8th Place: Amandine Bourgeois - L’Enfer Et Moi (France 2013)

Necro: This is sultry, sexy and I kinda love it to be honest. I have no clue what she’s saying but I want to hear more of it. I’m not really a fan of foreign language songs at all (see poor Poupee de Cire as an example), but this one I really did enjoy.

Stu Redman: Yeah, I'm moving to this, and I understand a word or two in it, sure I'm delighted with that. I like the chorus too and those dirty guitar stabs.

Necro: 8th
    Stu: 7th

10 points for
    P-P-P-P-P-Pick up a Pretzill!

• Advertisement
Advertisement