Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underwent Total Knee Replacement January 2019, now have Arthrofibrosis

• 24-08-2019 1:01pm

Had left TKR on 11th January In a Dublin private hospital but have had nothing but problems since. There was enormous swelling and intraday-joint bleeding immediately after surgery, drain not used. 7 weeks lost-op I was in trouble with a joint that was getting stiffer, and had a patella dislocation. Consultation went really badly with my own surgeon totally losing his rag because he was in disagreement of what Emergency Consultant had suggested and ended up by saying he personally could no longer continue with my care. He had suggested a colleague, but there were reasons I declined that, and I had trouble in finding a surgeon who would take me on.

The new surgeon, a pleasant guy operating in another private Dublin hospital, e retrained me but didn’t seem sure what was wrong g and suggested he might or might not do something after a year post-op. Shortly after my second consultation with him my knee suddenly got much worse and I became very lame, with my physiotherapist very concerned about my regression rather than progress. One morning I was in excruciating pain and went to Swiftcare. I was able to see yet a third consultant surgeon there who was trained abroad. He said that I have Arthrofibrosis and only delicate surgery will help me, and the sooner the better. I was to approach my own surgeon to convince him to do this. He believes the undrained blood after surgery probably gave rise to it.

I have emailed my second surgeon tactfully, but he hasn’t responded. I get the feeling he won’t have been pleased being told what to do, and kind of don’t expect a response or only one that says let the next January appointment remain as is and we’ll decide things then. In meantime my physiotherapist tells me of another case exactly like mine who eventually got a surgeon to remove the fibrotic tissue but that it was too late and they are permanently lame.

I am wondering what other boardsies would do in my position. Should I go and seek an appointment with that Swiftcare foreign-trained surgeon in yet another Dublin private hospital, where he operates. Has anybody here been in a similar position?

Advertisement