Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On contract and getting a mortgage

Options
  • 24-08-2019 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently started a job that's described on the contract as a part time consultancy. I have a one year contract. The hours aren't fixed but I generally make between 500-600 per week. The company I work for aren't Irish. My partner works in a full time, permanent job that pays 50k per year. We're hoping to get a mortgage in the future, what are the chances of my earnings being counted towards being granted one? What do I have to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Try KBC our main earner was on contract and they were willing to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Go and see a mortgage broker .
    Keep your bank statements , save x amount every month in 1 bank account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Tobecontinu

Try KBC our main earner was on contract and they were willing to accept it.

Thanks for the reply. Did your main earner have a fixed income? And were you given a mortgage of 3.5 times your combined earnings?

riclad wrote: »
    Go and see a mortgage broker .
    Keep your bank statements , save x amount every month in 1 bank account.

You mean a joined account?

Thanks for the reply. Did your main earner have a fixed income? And were you given a mortgage of 3.5 times your combined earnings?

Fixed income in an industry that typically works on contract. AFAIK we got an exemption over the 3.5 limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

I'm on contract and Ulster Bank were willing to take a portion of my income into account (we weren't looking for 3.5x of combined income).

To help build the case, they asked for history of past earnings and a CV to show potential for future earnings.

Any extra info you can provide to strengthen your case will help.

Fixed income in an industry that typically works on contract. AFAIK we got an exemption over the 3.5 limit.

The fixed income was key I'd say. Did they need a lot of past records can you remember?

KylieWyley wrote: »
    I'm on contract and Ulster Bank were willing to take a portion of my income into account (we weren't looking for 3.5x of combined income).

To help build the case, they asked for history of past earnings and a CV to show potential for future earnings.

Any extra info you can provide to strengthen your case will help.

By a portion do you mean something very small? Below 50% of your income?

The fixed income was key I'd say. Did they need a lot of past records can you remember?

No but they could see a fairly good career progression and no gaps etc.

No but they could see a fairly good career progression and no gaps etc.

I haven't got that. :( So your CV is very important? Do you have to verify all past employment?

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, I should have said, with this being an overseas company, I'll be paying tax through self assessment. Will that have any effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I'm a contractor too and the banks just wanted my CV. The 3.5 multiple was based off the average of my last 3 P60s

I'm a contractor too and the banks just wanted my CV. The 3.5 multiple was based off the average of my last 3 P60s

But like I said, I've just started this job. Before this, I returned to education and before that I was working abroad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh yeah, I should have said, with this being an overseas company, I'll be paying tax through self assessment. Will that have any effect?

They may look for three years accounts

Stheno wrote: »
    They may look for three years accounts

What if my accounts show I've not made much money in the past 3 years?

I haven't got that. :( So your CV is very important? Do you have to verify all past employment?

As the post above I think they'd look at you as self employed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What if my accounts show I've not made much money in the past 3 years?

If you are currently self employed and you have three years accounts for your company they will probably take the lower figure

If you are currently self employed and you have three years accounts for your company they will probably take the lower figure

I've already stated that I just started this job and I was in education prior to this.

As the post above I think they'd look at you as self employed.

Will having little in my accounts for the past few years but having 600 per week from here on count for much? I mean, how long will I have to be earning decent money for a bank to even consider me for a mortgage? I understand if you don't know the answers to these questions. Thanks for you help.

Will having little in my accounts for the past few years but having 600 per week from here on count for much? I mean, how long will I have to be earning decent money for a bank to even consider me for a mortgage? I understand if you don't know the answers to these questions. Thanks for you help.

No idea I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

So to give you a comparison I was self employed as a contractor for several years.

I applied for a car loan and had to supply three years accounts to show consistent income for that time.

If you can't do that you may struggle. Go talk to a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Your best bet would be to talk to a mortgage broker to understand what exactly you need to do going forward to be a good candidate for a mortgage.

How long are you in your current job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

As a sole applicant who was contracting, I got a mortgage with bank of Ireland in 2017. I had a letter from my employer stating I had been working with them 18 months and would be working for them for the foreseeable future. I'm still working for them, but now a permanent staff member

So to give you a comparison I was self employed as a contractor for several years.

I applied for a car loan and had to supply three years accounts to show consistent income for that time.

If you can't do that you may struggle. Go talk to a broker.

I'll need to talk to a broker but I think going in for this mortgage with someone in full time, permanent employment should help. I hope anyway.

As a sole applicant who was contracting, I got a mortgage with bank of Ireland in 2017. I had a letter from my employer stating I had been working with them 18 months and would be working for them for the foreseeable future. I'm still working for them, but now a permanent staff member

Good to hear.

But like I said, I've just started this job. Before this, I returned to education and before that I was working abroad.

I was only a contractor for less than a year too... As I said, 3 X P60s is what's important. Didn't have to provide any company accounts. Sole applicant too btw. EBS

I was only a contractor for less than a year too... As I said, 3 X P60s is what's important. Didn't have to provide any company accounts. Sole applicant too btw. EBS

What if I don't have 3 x p60's? What if I don't have any?

What if I don't have 3 x p60's? What if I don't have any?

Then you haven't a hope.

• Advertisement

I know people have said I should go to a broker but it's Sunday and I'm impatient. No one here will probably know the answers but I'll ask anyway. How would this look if applying for a mortgage?

Weekly earnings of 600 euro
    200 of this into joint savings account

Partner does the same and has a permanent, full time job earning 50k.

Would that stand up?

Advertisement