Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Accommodation Requirements

Options
  • 24-08-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a nephew of mine renting a room in Dublin while in college.

The property is not in great condition and a little neglected. The rooms are partitioned to be very small, and as many beds as possible squeezed into the one property. I believe the landlord has a number of these rented properties on the go.

Im wondering could anyone advise on legal regulations landlords must meet, in terms of number of rooms, toilets, number of people, size, air vents etc. As i would like to take this further, provided i have the right information.

Ive read some of the legal act documents, but a bit overwhelmed by the information. I just want some of the main requirements.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. What do you expect to do here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Minimum standards information can be found here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

What are you hoping to achieve by pursuing this? Does your nephew have alternative accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Tell him to move out and find somewhere better, it's basically what he'd have to do anyway if the LL is forced to do substantial works. While I'm not advocating anything that is a fire risk, lower-end high density basic accommodation is needed by some, especially students. Force the LL to upgrade the dwelling and expect him to upgrade the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

superd1978 wrote: »
    I have a nephew of mine renting a room in Dublin while in college
    Will you help fund his accommodation should the LL upgrade the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Caranica wrote: »
    Minimum standards information can be found here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

What are you hoping to achieve by pursuing this? Does your nephew have alternative accommodation?

That's for a whole house/apartment. The OP's nephew is most likely a licencee in the property if the landlord is doing it right and they have no rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Del2005 wrote: »
    That's for a whole house/apartment. The OP's nephew is most likely a licencee in the property if the landlord is doing it right and they have no rights.

The accommodation still has to be of a certain standard if the landlord is not resident. I don't know any student house with live in landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Del2005 wrote: »

There is no restriction on the occupier’s rights unless they reside in the same dwelling with the landlord or a member of the landlord’s family. While the word licensee is often used on this forum it is almost always used erroneously. Being a licensee doesn’t erode a tenant’s rights entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

superd1978 wrote: »
    I have a nephew of mine renting a room in Dublin while in college.

Would you prefer him to be on the streets? Because that's what probably will happen if you "take this further"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bring back the bedsits. Many of them were fine, cheap and served a purpose providing accommodation for low income people. So what if you shared a bathroom.
    Students shouldnt be expectng upmarket apartments unless they are willing to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Marcusm wrote: »
    Being a licensee doesn’t erode a tenant’s rights entirely.
    What rights does a licensee have? As a licensee is not a tenant, they don't have tenant rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭superd1978

Thanks for the responses guys. Currently im just trying to gather information, ive no clear plan or objective.

I will review some of the resources provided above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

TBH if you want a good illustration of the market failures in rental accommodation in Dublin this thread is it.

Which doesn't mean I disagree with the general sentiment of the posters above - that your nephew should keep his head down and suck it up, but it is a shame that is the reality of students renting in Dublin - that he is fortunate to have substandard accommodation and should count his blessings.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mc25

You mean like their own room, no mould, maybe a window? Because 700-800 a month would just about cover that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Fian wrote: »
    TBH if you want a good illustration of the market failures in rental accommodation in Dublin this thread is it.

Which doesn't mean I disagree with the general sentiment of the posters above - that your nephew should keep his head down and suck it up, but it is a shame that is the reality of students renting in Dublin - that he is fortunate to have substandard accommodation and should count his blessings.

This is nothing new, it has always been that way for students in Dublin.Its nothing to do with the housing issue at the moment.

Advertisement