Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta a Espana 2019 - Stage 1 - Salinas de Torrevieja - Torrevieja

Options
  • 24-08-2019 5:11pm

13.4km TTT to get things underway. I've actually been to this town about 15 odd years ago. I've little memory of it other than walking along the pier on what was a miserable September morning for that part of Spain.

vuelta2019_stage_01_map_670.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Wiggo looks like a lad who's ready to hit Benidorm for the night for a few beers & punch up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bloody weird start location. Excellent.

Bloody weird start location. Excellent.

Salt mine

neris wrote: »
    Salt mine

Definitely not snow no? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Bora could go very well ...

• Advertisement

Remember a few years back ( 2013 I think) the TTT started from a boat and crossed glass with cameras in the sea below...

Was very slippy by all accounts

Always doing something strange those guys !!!

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Remember a few years back ( 2013 I think) the TTT started from a boat and crossed glass with cameras in the sea below...

Jaysus yeah I remember that. I look forward to the year they parachute in from a helicopter for the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Yea, that was different. I was waiting for a rider to mis step and fall into the water when disembarking the boat!

Salt mine

Either that or global warming has taken a sudden and major turn!

• Advertisement

Tis only a scratch. Hope the bikes are ok

Tis only a scratch. Hope the bikes are ok

"All of our riders got around ok. Our DS, however..."

That could have been a lot worse. With spectators etc.

Guess it's not something I really though about before but if the lads are riding 50kmph then the car has to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That could have been a lot worse. With spectators etc.

Guess it's not something I really though about before but if the lads are riding 50kmph then the car has to keep up.

I'm amazed that team cars don't crash more often given that the DS is usually the person who is driving. And he uses the CB radio, hands out bidons and gives instructions to the riders.

Whole Jumbo team down :eek:

The Vuelta never disappoints for drama

And dont forget the TTT a few years ago when they were riding thru cafes on a beach path that was so slippy they had to neutralise GC

Those Vuelta organisers !!!!

Puerto Banus start a few years back.
    And dont forget the TTT a few years ago when they were riding thru cafes on a beach path that was so slippy they had to neutralise GC

Those Vuelta organisers !!!!

Something I didn't pick up on earlier but noticed in the highlights when I flicked over to ITV 4 there was Tony Martin doesn't have a national champs skin suit, they opted to give him helmet with a German flag. Or do they wear nationals kit in the TTT :confused:

Also that section of road the crashes happened on was bone dry when Astana and Bora rode it.

EDIT: ITV said it was a "rose garden hose pipe" likely set to water the flowers every evening.

• Advertisement

Something I didn't pick up on earlier but noticed in the highlights when I flicked over to ITV 4 there was Tony Martin doesn't have a national champs skin suit, they opted to give him helmet with a German flag. Or do they wear nationals kit in the TTT :confused:

Maybe riders don't wear the Nationals kit in the TTT.
    Daniel Martinez (EF) is the Colombian ITT champion and Patrick Bevin (CCC) is the New Zealand ITT champion. I don't think they were wearing National Champions jerseys?

Maybe riders don't wear the Nationals kit in the TTT.
    Daniel Martinez (EF) is the Colombian ITT champion and Patrick Bevin (CCC) is the New Zealand ITT champion. I don't think they were wearing National Champions jerseys?

Yeah that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Probably the one and only time I've ever been, or ever will be, top of the Velogames league :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

According to Andy Engels, Jumbo team manager the water came from a kids paddling pool that burst 500 metres up the hill.
    They went to the house where the water came from. That is five hundred metres from the course, on a steep slope that goes straight onto the roundabout. There was a child playing in a inflatable plastic swimming pool that broke. As a result, according to the organisation, all of that water flooded down onto the road all of a sudden

cunavalos wrote: »
    According to Andy Engels, Jumbo team manager the water came from a kids paddling pool that burst 500 metres up the hill.

It must have been some size

S6E1-Bart-Of-Darkness-the-simpsons-3834236-720-576.jpg

Also that section of road the crashes happened on was bone dry when Astana and Bora rode it.

EDIT: ITV said it was a "rose garden hose pipe" likely set to water the flowers every evening.

I believe it's because it's a TTT and not an ITT that the jersey can't be worn.

Advertisement