Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three €20 Prepay Plan (28 days)

Options
  • 24-08-2019 7:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭

I've a few questions about the three prepay plan (€20 for 28 days) which I'm currently on. For anyone who's on this plan and understands it, what I'd like to know is how much you get charged for internet use once the 20 days has expired? I presume the trick is to make sure that you spare your credit as much as possible before you buy your next €20.

Lately with me I got a text that read "you have spent €5.45 on internet services since 09/08/2019". I didn't really think anything of it. It wasn't until the next day when I got a text that read "you have spent €10.06 on internet services since 09/08/2019" that I began to think it might be a pattern. I turned off "cellular services" and "internet services" on my phone for the time being in case it was anything to do with that, and it has stopped since. The only thing that I can think of is that it might be something to do with the fact that I erased my phone recently, and therefore it went back to it's factory settings. But I'd probably have had those switched on before I erased the phone, so I don't really know.

I'm out of credit now, but I fear that I'll get deducted that value (€10.06) the next time I top up credit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If it's over 28 days since last top up then 3 charge one euro per MB so any remaining credit will be gone in a few minutes if the phone is using data.

Those alerts about charges aren't sent in real time so by the time the first one arrived your credit was probably already gone.
    I fear that I'll get deducted that value (€10.06) the next time I top up credit.
    That won't happen. They have already taken the credit that you had, that's gone. Your balance can't go negative so you'll never "owe" them anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Ten Pin wrote: »
    If it's over 28 days since last top up then 3 charge one euro per MB so any remaining credit will be gone in a few minutes if the phone is using data.
    Thanks, so the trick is to turn off the internet settings the moment the 28 days is up?

And how do they determine how much MB you use? Is it based on how often you have things like safari and whatsapp in use? And what is the flat amount they charge (after the 28 days) for internet if you don't use the internet but have the internet switch on?

Yes turn off data 10 minutes before the 28 days expires.

All data is through their server so they know how much is downloaded.

There is no way to avoid charges without turning data off. Even if no webpages are opened, the phone might still download small amounts of data in the background. To prevent this, data must be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I've a few questions about the three prepay plan (€20 for 28 days) which I'm currently on. For anyone who's on this plan and understands it, what I'd like to know is how much you get charged for internet use once the 20 days has expired? I presume the trick is to make sure that you spare your credit as much as possible before you buy your next €20.

The trick is to top up in time. You can set an auto top up so that it tops up automatically every 28 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Buy several 500 MB data add-ons. Use your 28 days of data, then the data-add ons and then top up again.

• Advertisement

Gooser14 wrote: »
    The trick is to top up in time. You can set an auto top up so that it tops up automatically every 28 days.
    But can't you use up what remaining credit you have after the 28 days expire? So shouldn't you wait to see how long that takes before topping up again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

But can't you use up what remaining credit you have after the 28 days expire? So shouldn't you wait to see how long that takes before topping up again?

Once you go over the 28 days and still have data turned on you can kiss your credit goodbye basically!! They charge a fortune. One YouTube video and your credit would more than likely be gone. Also your phone downloads stuff in the background so credit will be gone in an instant even if you don’t use the phone!!

Use your remaining credit for buying films, games, apps, play music etc. from the play store after you top up again

knockers84 wrote: »
    Once you go over the 28 days and still have data turned on you can kiss your credit goodbye basically!! They charge a fortune. One YouTube video and your credit would more than likely be gone. Also your phone downloads stuff in the background so credit will be gone in an instant even if you don’t use the phone!!

Use your remaining credit for buying films, games, apps, play music etc. from the play store after you top up again
    Yes but I don;t use internet a lot so other than that, does what I said make logical sense?

Yes but I don;t use internet a lot so other than that, does what I said make logical sense?

1) top up your phone and use the internet on it as much as you want for 28 days.
    2) Just before the 28 days is up turn off your data or you will lose all remaining credit on your phone in a matter of minutes as Android uses Internet in the background, apps such as WhatsApp, messenger or always using internet along with other apps Three charge a fortune if your out of the 28 day and will take all your credit with little to no use.
    3) Handiest way is to setup an auto top up every 28 days.

I can’t make it any clearer than that

Yes turn off data 10 minutes before the 28 days expires.

All data is through their server so they know how much is downloaded.

There is no way to avoid charges without turning data off. Even if no webpages are opened, the phone might still download small amounts of data in the background. To prevent this, data must be off.
    Could I ask another question?

This is a screen shot of when I last topped up. It was only 2 days ago, but I got a text today telling me that nearly all my credit is gone.

I guess just because you pay €20, doesn't mean that you're on the "€20/28 day" plan

• Advertisement

Could I ask another question?

This is a screen shot of when I last topped up. It was only 2 days ago, but I got a text today telling me that nearly all my credit is gone.

I guess just because you pay €20, doesn't mean that you're on the "€20/28 day" plan

Dial 1744 and check your balance

Dial 1744 and check your balance
    That wasn't what I was asking.

Did you make any non 3-to-3 calls? If not then credit is gone on data charges which should not happen if on the standard prepay plan (AYCE data, 3 to 3 calls, all text). Is this a SIM from 3 or was it a former O2 SIM?

Check how much data you've used in the last month (settings>data usage). If you're using small amounts (less than 1GB) then 3 isn't a great option. How many text and voice calls do you make? There's cheaper options for low usage.

Did you get a text from 3 confirming that your last top-up was successfully applied. The picture provided does not confirm it was applied. If you go through the options on 1744 you can find out the expiry date of your current subscription.

You can also get the expiry information via the 3 app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Likewise I have never been able to keep that 20 credit on this plan. It's gone feels like instantly the plan expires, and I'm not a big user of data. I found it so annoying I switched to a different plan and network.

Did you make any non 3-to-3 calls? If not then credit is gone on data charges which should not happen if on the standard prepay plan (AYCE data, 3 to 3 calls, all text). Is this a SIM from 3 or was it a former O2 SIM?

Check how much data you've used in the last month (settings>data usage). If you're using small amounts (less than 1GB) then 3 isn't a great option. How many text and voice calls do you make? There's cheaper options for low usage.
    I had my data turned off since I topped up that time (screen shot). I made a few calls to chill insurance, but I just thought that I was on the unlimited calls plan (the €20 for 28 day thing), so thought it wouldn't matter. And if I was on that plan it shouldn't matter if it is 3 to 3 or not, as long as it's inside Ireland.

How can you be sure when topping up online, that you're paying for the €20/day deal? That's what I want to know. I topped up, but I was obviously put on a different rate/plan.

Yes, I don't make a lot of calls. What would be a better option for me?

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Did you get a text from 3 confirming that your last top-up was successfully applied. The picture provided does not confirm it was applied. If you go through the options on 1744 you can find out the expiry date of your current subscription.
    No, it was applied. I got a text to tell me that it was applied. I have a different screen shot of it showing up as applied.

Well spotted. I actually made that mistake of not hitting 'continue', the first time I tried topping up.

1) top up your phone and use the internet on it as much as you want for 28 days.
    2) Just before the 28 days is up turn off your data or you will lose all remaining credit on your phone in a matter of minutes as Android uses Internet in the background, apps such as WhatsApp, messenger or always using internet along with other apps Three charge a fortune if your out of the 28 day and will take all your credit with little to no use.
    3) Handiest way is to setup an auto top up every 28 days.

I can’t make it any clearer than that
    Thank you,

That's very clear. I get all that. What I'm curious about is the use of that word "remaining". How is it determined how much credit is remaining after the 28 days? Is it based on how much credit you would have used during that 28 days if you were on three's flat rate?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

I'm on a 'Three Plan', for my €20 I have 'unlimited' data, free texts to any network and free calls to other Three users. However, if I call a Vodafone customer I get charged, if I call a landline I get charged. So at the end of the 28 days I might have €12.58 remaining but that gets eaten up within a few hours if I forget to turn off my data. If you want to talk to Chill, or whoever, try and arrange a callback to save your credit.....

I made a few calls to chill insurance, but I just thought that I was on the unlimited calls plan

3 don't have unlimited calls to any network on the prepay plan. It's unlimited data and calls to 3 network users. Calls to other networks cost 35c per minute.

48 would probably suit you better. For 10 euro per month you get...

3GB Data
    300 Mobile Minutes
    All Text
    60 Landline Minutes
    https://www.48months.ie/membership-plans
    Also note that calls to 1890, 1850, 0818 etc are charged extra by all networks.

Tesco and Lyca have slightly different plans at 15. Vodafone and eir's plans are 20 but 3 are least suitable for low usage, their main selling point is unlimited data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm on a 'Three Plan', for my €20 I have 'unlimited' data, free texts to any network and free calls to other Three users. However, if I call a Vodafone customer I get charged, if I call a landline I get charged. So at the end of the 28 days I might have €12.58 remaining but that gets eaten up within a few hours if I forget to turn off my data. If you want to talk to Chill, or whoever, try and arrange a callback to save your credit.....

I'm on the exact same plan, top up every 28 days, on day 29 my internet just stops working, I've never had it charge me rip off data rates, it just stops working.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Did you receive the text telling you you have "All You Can Eat Data, Unlimited texts % Unlimited calls to Three network"?

That's the 28 day plan. It doesn't have unlimited calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thargor wrote: »
    I'm on the exact same plan, top up every 28 days, on day 29 my internet just stops working, I've never had it charge me rip off data rates, it just stops working.

Mine only stops working if they've taken my credit.

3 don't have unlimited calls to any network on the prepay plan. It's unlimited data and calls to 3 network users. Calls to other networks cost 35c per minute.

48 would probably suit you better. For 10 euro per month you get...

3GB Data
    300 Mobile Minutes
    All Text
    60 Landline Minutes
    https://www.48months.ie/membership-plans
    Also note that calls to 1890, 1850, 0818 etc are charged extra by all networks.

Tesco and Lyca have slightly different plans at 15. Vodafone and eir's plans are 20 but 3 are least suitable for low usage, their main selling point is unlimited data.
    Thanks,

Come to think of it, the very moment I actually ran out of credit when I was on a phone call to another 3 customer! Why would that be?!

Thanks,

Come to think of it, the very moment I actually ran out of credit when I was on a phone call to another 3 customer! Why would that be?!

Go onto the three website, go onto the chat feature would be your best bet and ask if you have the free internet and free three calls

Go onto the three website, go onto the chat feature would be your best bet and ask if you have the free internet and free three calls
    Yeah, maybe I should. Are they Indians that Three hire for the chat feature? They're very hard to explain things to!

Did you see the screen shot I posted of when I topped up?

Yeah, maybe I should. Are they Indians that Three hire for the chat feature? They're very difficult to understand me?

Did you see the screen shot I posted of when I topped up?

I give up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I signed up to this about a month ago.

I haven't topped up just yet. My balance is around the 17eu mark, but interestingly my "Internet in Republic of Ireland & EU" states I have over 8gb and it expires on 24/09/2019. Bit confusing, as I thought after the 28 days (which has passed) it would eat into my remaining credit.

If you register for My3, log in and go to 'Mobile Plan', then 'more details' to see what plan you're on.

• Advertisement

Thanks,

Are you sure it was a Three account you were calling? Just because it is a Three number doesn't mean it's a Three account. It could be a Three number which has been ported to another service provider.

Advertisement