Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What went wrong?

Options
  • 24-08-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I grew two courgette plants from seed this year. Quite a lot of the first batch of courgettes rotted before getting big. I got a fair amount of good courgettes in between but they are nearly all rotting now again - from the blossom end.

See pic also - a lot of one plant’s leaves have gone brown.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Could it be lack of pollination?
    I grew winter squash this year and the only 2 female flowers that turned into fruit are the 2 I hand pollinated. The rest rotted
    No idea if that helps or not

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Looks like they were down too long in the midnight sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like inadequate pollination. You really have to hand pollinate them to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

They seemed to pollinate alright. Fruit rotted after growing to 2-3 inches

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

endacl wrote: »
    Looks like they were down too long in the midnight sea.
    That took me a few seconds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That took me a few seconds!

I'm still at a loss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

looksee wrote: »
    I'm still at a loss :D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Souness

Its pollination issue I would say. Unpollinated fruit will grow to a certain extent. Had same issue a few weeks back when courgettes only had female flowers. As srameen says hand pollination is only way to be sure, I use an artist brush for this. The brown leaves looks like might be fungus, courgettes are prone to this. Remove any infected leaves to curtail it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kilmeaney 1

I got tomato plants, Pepper plants , Cucumber plants and courgette plants earlier this year in a Garden Centre . I put them in a greenhouse and only the tomato and pepper plants survived , they were all sowed in grow bags. The tomato plants gave very few tomatos and the peppers are only growing now, but are small.
    I asked in the Garden centre a few weeks ago about this and was told that because there has not been enough constant heat this year is why anything sowed in a greenhouse suffered.
    The cucumbers died almost straight away. The courgettes looked like they were growing ok and got to a few inches long but then died.
    This is the first year that I have not got very much tomatos, I normally get lots of them.

Advertisement