Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie [Netflix] - *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Todd is such a ****ing psychotic prick. I’d nearly watch the series finale with him getting murdered by Jessie.

In saying that, the best scene in the movie was him singing and trying to get the truck to honk it horn. Such a psycho.

Overall, I liked it. I’m not sure why it’s even a thing but I did like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

I enjoyed it but it kind of felt superfluous, which is what "BCS" felt like for the first few eps before it came into it's own. Which is why I wish this was a mini-series (6 eps or so) instead of just a two hour movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Better Call Saul set the pattern of explaining pointless things. I mean, Jesse driving away from the Nazi camp was all we needed to see. Everything in El Camino was essentially some combination of what we probably assumed would have happened.
    Really well done but nothing we needed to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mousewar wrote: »
    Better Call Saul set the pattern of explaining pointless things. I mean, Jesse driving away from the Nazi camp was all we needed to see. Everything in El Camino was essentially some combination of what we probably assumed would have happened.
    Really well done but nothing we needed to see.

What’s the point of any epilogue though?

What’s the point of any epilogue though?

Well, when you return to something after such a gap, i'd've thought it would be because there was some part of the story untold, or some theme unexplored or some part of a character left to discover. But none of that seemed to apply.
    When Jesse was driving away at the end of Breaking Bad, I thought "Great, he's free". When he was driving away at the end of El Camino, I though "Great, he's free". Nothing in between changed or added to that. Again, it was well made but there was no point to it. The story had already been fully told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well, when you return to something after such a gap, i'd've thought it would be because there was some part of the story untold, or some theme unexplored or some part of a character left to discover. But none of that seemed to apply.
    When Jesse was driving away at the end of Breaking Bad, I thought "Great, he's free". When he was driving away at the end of El Camino, I though "Great, he's free". Nothing in between changed or added to that. Again, it was well made but there was no point to it. The story had already been fully told.

That's pretty much it, it's fan service plain and simple. Well made, acted but totally pointless to the overall BB story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

2smiggy wrote: »
    people's impressions ?, obviously please use the spoiler tag if mentioning any. Will watch it tonight all going well

TBH I was disappointed with it.Found it quite underwhelming.

Well, there were parts untold. Jesse wasn’t just going to drive away at the end of Breaking Bad. This shows how he disentangled himself. Every other loose end was neatly tied up. Why not this? It also dealt with his PTSD or depicted it at least. As someone who had big problems with the BB finale (and a lot of the back half of series 5), I preferred El Camino.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Stopped with 20 mins left to go toilet. Sad there is only 20 mins left.

Well, there were parts untold. Jesse wasn’t just going to drive away at the end of Breaking Bad. This shows how he disentangled himself. Every other loose end was neatly tied up. Why not this? It also dealt with his PTSD or depicted it at least. As someone who had big problems with the BB finale (and a lot of the back half of series 5), I preferred El Camino.

Well by that logic, there are still parts untold. Why not make another film next year showing what happens when he makes it to Haines? Does he buy a house in the woods. Become a lumberjack? Enrol in college and get that Business and Marketing degree? If any of it was important it would have been in Breaking Bad. He was free at the end of BB, that's all we needed to know. Nothing in El Camino added to his character or signficantly to his story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Loved it, but would I watch it again? Probably not.

Well by that logic, there are still parts untold. Why not make another film next year showing what happens when he makes it to Haines? Does he buy a house in the woods. Become a lumberjack? Enrol in college and get that Business and Marketing degree? If any of it was important it would have been in Breaking Bad. He was free at the end of BB, that's all we needed to know. Nothing in El Camino added to his character or signficantly to his story.

Speak for yourself. :)

I wasn’t anticipating this film and only heard about it very recently but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. Much more than the BB finale actually. Does his character need to be “added to” for it to be enjoyable? It’s an epilogue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

There were many parts of BB that were also pointless, this just sits alongside them. Why must there be a point, or why does it have to be something that we "need to know"? Can't something just be a self-contained story or an extension of one for the purpose of entertainment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Could take it or leave it to be honest, wasn't as mighty as I hoped. Nice to see cranston though

There were many parts of BB that were also pointless, this just sits alongside them. Why must there be a point, or why does it have to be something that we "need to know"? Can't something just be a self-contained story or an extension of one for the purpose of entertainment?

Yes, as Martin Scorsese might say, those things are theme parks. Enjoyable but pointless like a Marvel film.
    BB was never that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

A very long episode of BB but all the same it was brilliant to watch, camera work was the same as the series which was cool and made it breaking bad. If you never seen BB this would look like an indie flick on low budget. *spoiler* bringing walt back in the flashbacks at the end was pretty cool. I felt this was the right amount Walt that needed to be in it. All in all, 7.5 out of 10 but at the same time how do you make a movie out of an already brilliant series. Gilligan done a good job. Not much he could do here to be honest and glad he didn’t ruin it. Probably a money making racket for Netflix (pessimist much)

My only gripe was skinny and badger should have been in it more. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nothing is a one off these days. Bet it leaves more loose ends than it ties up

Well...what do you reckon? Charity bet still on? Leave it up to the rest of the contributors on the thread?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I really enjoyed it. A solid 8/10 for me.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Was grand, good I suppose but only for fans as a standalone movie it wouldn’t be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished it. I enjoyed it and wouldn't give it a rating as a movie because it's just a breaking bad episode, a long one. As per all his stuff, it was tight storytelling, great acting and tense scenes.

Loved the Todd stuff with him singing and looking for the toot from the truck. Great actor that guy. Totally nuts
    Great shootout scene in the welders.

. Great stuff that couldn't have been any better really.

• Advertisement

Yeah shootout scene was quality, what a real handgun shootout would look like

BDI wrote: »
    Yeah shootout scene was quality, what a real handgun shootout would look like

Had to laugh at the guy hiding behind the steel column with the tray of coke

De Bhál wrote: »
    Had to laugh at the guy hiding behind the steel column with the tray of coke

Absolutely, and it shows if you have been around the mad stuff in real life there is always one or two mad chaps then a load of lads who pretend to be mad by association. Fellas working 40 hour weeks but bragging how they hang around with a drug dealer on weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

What happened to Todd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What happened to Todd

He died in BB

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

I had to Google Brock Cantillo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I enjoyed it, probably 7.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

robwen wrote: »

I was just about to and then it clicked !

I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I really enjoyed it. My main gripe as many others have said is that there was just no need for it. What could have made it more worthwhile was if instead of the shootout at the end, Jesse had a real Heisenberg-esque plan, showing how much he learnt from Walt and how he's his true successor, but without the ego Walt had which allows Jesse to actually be free. Instead we just got the shootout which, while decent, was a bit of a damp squib to end on.

Also I was sure the diner waiter in the flashback was the actor who played Brock, as he could have been old enough to play that role by now. Thought it was a nice Easter egg. Turns out it's not him at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Thargor wrote: »

That review itself is quite poor. Bang of #metoo off it

Penn wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. My main gripe as many others have said is that there was just no need for it. What could have made it more worthwhile was if instead of the shootout at the end, Jesse had a real Heisenberg-esque plan, showing how much he learnt from Walt.

I thought having the bigger handgun hidden was a pretty smart idea

Was he the Hoover salesman that made people
    disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Very good epilogue to the show. I’m glad Gilligan resisted temptation to stick with his OG ending. while also avoiding unnecessary cameos from Skyler, Hank, Saul etc.
    I’d say it was very tempting to change the fate of one of the central characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Maybe breaking bad just wasn’t as good as I remember..? I was a big fan of the show but thought El Camino was absolute pants!

Jesus christ. Reviews like that must be written to incite a reaction surely. Apparently you're from a by gone era if you don't have a female anti hero. Anything else is misogynistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    What happened to Todd
    robwen wrote: »
    Anybody here actually watch Breaking Bad? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Anybody here actually watch Breaking Bad? :pac:

Many years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I liked it. As for the necessity of it, the entertainment value is enough. I'm looking forward now to seeing what happens to Saul when he gets tired of his Cinnabon career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Maybe breaking bad just wasn’t as good as I remember..? I was a big fan of the show but thought El Camino was absolute pants!

Haven’t seen the film but BB is definitely overrated.

I’ve always thought they should do something with Gustavo Fring though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s... fine! The good side of fine... but fine nonetheless. It is absolutely fundamentally redundant, and it’s fan servicey in a way that’d give anime a run for its money. But it’s Vince Gilligan making more Breaking Bad, and inevitably it’s packed with style, lovingly drawn out set pieces, and plenty of neat character moments. It dives deeper into the western genre influences that were always there - a straight-up shootout feels a natural fit for this fictional universe. It wasn’t by any stretch necessary to fit almost every possible character in there, dead or alive - heavy flashback structures like this almost invariably come across as clunky to me. It falls short of peak Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but it does no harm to the series either.

In conclusion: Ozymandias is still the real finale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

I thought it was great tbh. Not needed maybe, who knows but it was great 2 hours. Like catching up with an old friend. No need to read too much into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Well that review completely missed the point of the film.

El Camino had a lot of expectations to live up to, and I honestly think it could never match the audience expectations. At times I found myself thinking the pace and direction were off, but then I couldn't think of an alternative given the final events of Breaking Bad.

Even having Jessie just go through his PTSD and find comfort with Skinny Pete and Badger would have felt too small for a film.

I think we needed to see Jessie have a happy ending, especially given what he went through in the show. Hence why the film went through the events it did, it was about him coming to terms with past events, and moving in with his second chance at a new life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭golfball37

Small things like hearing about the Houston businesswoman in a critical condition on radio are things Gilligan does very well. Jesse knew straight away what and who it was.
    Thought Todd’s appearance took from it somewhat if I’m being honest but they all aged, Mike and Forster (rip) too very noticeable, even Walter looked older.
    I enjoyed it anyway but probably won’t watch again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Walt was wearing a very large and obvious bald cap.... I thought that was way worse then Todd’s weight gain... Walt head looked ridiculous, like an SNL skit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Todd is at least 2 stone heavier in the movie. And looks about 10 years older.
    Vacuum repair man Ed aka Robert Forster RIP. Great actor.

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Whoever wrote that was determined to not like it. 1 star out of 5?

Agree with this sentiment, what an absolutely horrible, ****ty and petty review.

I liked this, watched it almost as soon as it became available and enjoyed it (for the most part). It did come across as being unnecessary but it was an enjoyable couple of hours in the company of some characters I had watched over the course of 5 seasons in BB. A solid 7 out of 10 from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I got to here in that BBC review and realised they didn't even watch the film.

" with Pinkman driving through the fences of the Nazi compound White had rescued him from in White’s titular El Camino car, "

If you had watched it you would very clearly know that was Todd's El Camino. I mean they spent a good portion of the movie to flashbacks with Todd driving it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement