Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deed Poll

Options
  • 24-08-2019 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

This isn't a question. I just thought I'd put this here in case anyone was looking to change their name by deed poll because the instructions on the website are misleading and when you're there it can feel a little overwhelming. I would've appreciated these instructions.

The deed poll office is in the four courts to the far right just beside the side exit. The security guys are pretty sound so just ask them where to go as you check your bag at the front entrance. The office is only open on tues+thurs for a couple hours in the morning.

You will need:
    Passport
    Birth cert
    A4 self addressed envelope with 2e stamp

Because it's only open for a couple of hours I suggest aiming for when it first opens to avoid disappointment as it can get quite busy. Arrive in town for 9.30am and go directly to Orca Print beside the four courts on Chancery Place. Say you're going to the deed poll office to change your name and you would like them to get you the correct documents. (I had originally gone to my own solicitor and paid them to sort me out only to find out that they'd done it wrong... Orca is right beside the side exit beside the deed poll office so they KNOW what they're doing)

This is going to cost you 75 yoyos. They'll ask you to come back in 30 minutes while they draw it up for you. Do a lap and come back. They'll ask you to check over the documents and make sure everything is in order. You'll have to sign in your new signature (so best practice this beforehand) and the commissioner will come in with her bible to swear it in.

Ok this is the part that tripped me up. They will then ask if you want them to stamp it for you. The answer is YES. The stamp costs 60e generally but Orca will also charge an extra 2.50. Just say yes. If you say no you will save 2.50 getting it stamped in the four courts but you will have to do A LOT of back and forth and wondering around there. (the stamping office is in the depths of nowhere in the four courts and you will only have to come right back to the deed poll office to hand in your stamped docs anyway) Just say yes and they'll stamp it right there and then so you only have to do the trip once. This process will take approximately four seconds.

Now you have all your stuff you can go to the deed poll office (which you can see from Orca but you gotta go the whole way around to the front to get in)

It's a little after 10am so the office has just opened and you're the first one to get seen. Deed poll is only at DESK ONE and you don't need to take a ticket (which becomes very very annoying if you're there at noon with a bunch of other crazies trying to get seen before the office closes...) Now you just hand in your stamped deed poll with your passport and your birth cert and they'll ask you to sign a few more things.

Then they'll ask you to go out to the post office and get an a4 envelope and 2e worth of stamps so that they can send all your stuff back to you when it's all done and this is when you say VOILA and pull out your prepared SAE and they'll say well well wellll.

AND THAT'S YOU DONE.

You're welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LazyClouds wrote: »
    You'll have to sign in your new signature (so best practice this beforehand)
    Not everyone's signature is their (old) name. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I haven’t read the need for a €2 stamp anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They are closed atm with the pandemic

Advertisement