Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's staff not wearing gloves when handling food?

Options
  • 25-08-2019 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭

I was in McDonald's at the Red Cow today, ordering a coffee and noticed the staff were making the burgers using their bare hands.

I.e. grabbing salad and meat and buns and putting them all together with their bare hands

I would have thought in this day and age staff wear disposable gloves even in places like McDonald's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

mrcheez wrote: »
    I was in McDonald's at the Red Cow today, ordering a coffee and noticed the staff were making the burgers using their bare hands.

I.e. grabbing salad and meat and buns and putting them all together with their bare hands

I would have thought in this day and age staff wear disposable gloves even in places like McDonald's?

Go and look in any restaurants in the kitchen this is how it's done, similar to how your ma done it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Go and look in any restaurants in the kitchen this is how it's done, similar to how your ma done it...

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 82,790 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Once they are not handling cash or interacting with other items that would be full of all sorts like mobile phones you should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If someone is working on one station doing one task they do not need to wear gloves in most cases. McDonalds have extremely high food safety standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭kirving

Not a good idea whatsoever to wear light rubber gloves around heat sources or deep fat fryers.

Gloves are mostly worn to protect the workers hands, as opposed to protecting the food. Hands are expected to be clean in a kitchen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Tamara tamara

Not wearing gloves is the least of your worries in Mc Donalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I have heard a guy I know that works there and he says they are very strict about hand washing. Sure look at most delis where the person behind the counter never changes their gloves even sometimes doing dirty tasks like handling money and cleaning wearing the same gloves.

Once they are not handling cash or interacting with other items that would be full of all sorts like mobile phones you should be grand.

Any fresh uncooked food should be prepared hygienically... In this case the salad and buns were not cooked and will carry whatever bacteria the preparer passed on from rubbing their nose, ruffling their hair, scratching their arse..

But sure itll be grand.

Interesting to note.. this is banned in NYC but not Ireland

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1334/

Bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Worked in one a long time ago and it was a rule to wear gloves handling the beef. It was actually the cleanest and most hygiene focused kitche i have ever been in
    Maybe things have changed or bad management in that particular one

Any fresh uncooked food should be prepared hygienically... In this case the salad and buns were not cooked and will carry whatever bacteria the preparer passed on from rubbing their nose, ruffling their hair, scratching their arse

In McDonalds they'll have a hairnet and hat on for starters. The other body contact things would be prohibited.

If you find McDonalds safety standards concerning - don't eat out. Ever. Anywhere. Because you'll find a normal restaurant kitchen terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Any fresh uncooked food should be prepared hygienically... In this case the salad and buns were not cooked and will carry whatever bacteria the preparer passed on from rubbing their nose, ruffling their hair, scratching their arse..

But sure itll be grand.

Bizarre

So don't go to McDonalds any more. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Can you explain how gloves would change the hygiene of the same process?

You'll never see gloves in any high end restaurant btw, unless it's for specific things like handling lots of chilli peppers or smelly things.

Gloves don't make anything more hygienic.

I just sneezed in the pan..... Ah sure

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

But sure itll be grand.

Bizarre

And you think they’re going to take off their gloves to pick their noses and put the gloves back on again?
    It’s contrary to health and safety to wear disposable gloves in an environment like that too.
    Look. I have a sister in law like you.
    You’re not suitable for eating out. Anywhere.
    Stay home and only eat food that you’ve prepared yourself or that’s been prepared by someone you trust.

I hope when you cook for yourself the place is like a microchip manufacturing plant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭mistersifter

McDonalds staff should wear plastic gloves when handling raw frozen meat only.

When working with cooked food, the safest thing is clean hands and NOT plastic gloves.

McDonalds staff are required to wash hands regularly and sanitize in between washes.

splinter65 wrote: »
    And you think they’re going to take off their gloves to pick their noses and put the gloves back on again?
    It’s contrary to health and safety to wear disposable gloves in an environment like that too.
    Look. I have a sister in law like you.
    You’re not suitable for eating out. Anywhere.
    Stay home and only eat food that you’ve prepared yourself or that’s been prepared by someone you trust.

I presume that's why it's generally places like deli counters where they prepare the food in front of the customer that use gloves. In order to please people like this OP and your sister in law and to make it seem like they are hygienic when really they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Worked in one a long time ago and it was a rule to wear gloves handling the beef. It was actually the cleanest and most hygiene focused kitche i have ever been in
    Maybe things have changed or bad management in that particular one

When putting frozen meat on the grill , yes. You wouldn't be handling cooked meat by hand generally. Tongs. Scoops for nuggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,790 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I recall being in a competitor Mc place before and a manager type was using his mobile and then handling chips, knackfest kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

When putting frozen meat on the grill , yes. You wouldn't be handling cooked meat by hand generally. Tongs. Scoops for nuggets.

Thats right

• Advertisement

Portsalon wrote: »
    So don't go to McDonalds any more. Problem solved.

I was getting a coffee

I just found it odd they don't follow the norm that is employed at practically any modern deli

The fact they have their food preparation on display makes this doubly weird as surely they are trying to show off how clean they are.

While I was waiting for my coffee the preparer made 10 burgers without washing hands between. Handling beef etc.

Didn't see any hairnet, just a cute lil hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I was getting a coffee

I just found it odd they don't follow the norm that is employed at practically any modern deli

The fact they have their food preparation on display makes this doubly weird as surely they are trying to show off how clean they are.

While I was waiting for my coffee the preparer made 10 burgers without washing hands between. Handling beef etc.

Your idea of the "norm" is stupid.

Lol has After Hours become so crowded ye are spilling into Consumer Issues now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It's not a deli. No gloves is the norm for kitchens.

Yes

Because you were too far away

Someone working with cooked food and doing nothing else does not need gloves.

That's it. Your issue is solved - you had the wrong impression.

L1011 wrote: »

Someone working with cooked food and doing nothing else does not need gloves.

Someone working with cooked food and non-cooked food does

Someone working with cooked food and non-cooked food does

cooked and uncooked yes. Non-cooked like burger buns no.

What do you think gloves are going to protect against here, precisely? They'd have the same pair on throughout.

Time for tougher immigration controls in after hours so :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

How often do we hear about outbreaks of food poisoning in Ireland? Thankfully very seldom. I think food safety standard and hygiene in restaurants/ takeaways/hotels are excellent here.

Inspections are regular and places do get shut down( if they have breached regulation) which is a great thing imo.Lived in UK and would have far less faith in their inspection systems. Not saying we are perfect here but very decent standards across the board, something to be very proud off and let’s keep standards high.

Advertisement