Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's staff not wearing gloves when handling food?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's not weird as they are handling different types of meat and products.

Vegetarian may want a salad but person serving has been handling meat and so on.

It's good practice as these foods are chilled but cooked already so more risk then chef handling uncooked as they will be cooking it and killing and burning off any contaminants.

No one changes gloves between handling meat and veg, unless they've been instructed to, in which case they should wash hands anyways.
    wonski wrote: »
    The problem is they have to wash hands after changing the gloves anyway, so what's the point???

Without gloves: Serve meat eater, wash hands, serve the vegan person.

With gloves: Serve meat eater, take off gloves, wash hands, wear another pair, serve the vegan. Rinse and repeat.

What actually happens they serve everything with the gloves which is no different than with bare hands ;)

You're right, I'd say it's just a perception thing. People preparing food in front of you, vs in a kitchen.

When you're watching someone buttering your roll (ooh matron) it probably looks better that they're wearing gloves, even though it makes next to no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that glove wearing can actually contribute to poor hygiene practices as people stick on a pair and think they're good to go and don't change them or wash their hands nearly as often as people who prep bare-handed. Will see if I can find a few links.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

How many of you dip your hand in the holy water font every week?
    #sceptic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

LenWoods wrote: »
    #sceptic

Not many I'd say :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

#sceptic

Is that a euphemism for getting drunk every week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure studies have shown that glove wearing can actually contribute to poor hygiene practices as people stick on a pair and think they're good to go and don't change them or wash their hands nearly as often as people who prep bare-handed. Will see if I can find a few links.

There are also studies of people who not only don't wash their hands as often, buy don't after visit to toilet :( Some places do regular swabs on workers hands to ensure compliance with basic hygiene. Some factories even have barriers with hand-wash Station and you won't get through until yo do ;)

Snotty wrote: »
    Is that a euphemism for getting drunk every week?
    euphemism hmm just let me Google that word and I'll get back to ya in a minute :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Swab staff and customers to ensure no bacteria enters the food preparation area ?

Swab staff and customers to ensure no bacteria enters the food preparation area ?

Perhaps possible if the eliminate the €2 menu from there list,
    Lowest quality for the highest possible price that's business

Perhaps possible if the eliminate the €2 menu from there list,
    Lowest quality for the highest possible price that's business

They were being facetious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

I used to work in a place where we washed the deli cooking trays in the cash wash... hot chicken rolls were savage every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

mrcheez wrote: »
    Any fresh uncooked food should be prepared hygienically... In this case the salad and buns were not cooked and will carry whatever bacteria the preparer passed on from rubbing their nose, ruffling their hair, scratching their arse..

But sure itll be grand.

Interesting to note.. this is banned in NYC but not Ireland

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/1334/

Bizarre

Not bizarre, gloves can get dirty as well, hands are easier washed and kept clean.

Danzy wrote: »
    Not bizarre, gloves can get dirty as well, hands are easier washed and kept clean.

Somebody already mention America, eg their eggs need to be kept refrigerated, so they can do dirty business all the way to the market without any care about cleanliness at any stage.

Same with their glove business.

American food safety business could learn a lot from their European counterparts ;)

If you keep your hands clean there is nothing wrong.

They have graded areas to prevent this,
    Grey area, yellow area, blue area etc. Make up a colour?
    Yeah that area too
    Means changing gloves between those areas which are tape markings on the floor; if you dont then the manager comes down on you
    But again the €2 menu,
    How can anyone expect to get a cow slaughtered, field harvested, cows milked, cheese made and crops picked in order to produce a cheese burger without cutting corners somewhere

Yeah that area too
    Means changing gloves between those areas which are tape markings on the floor; if you dont then the manager comes down on you
    But again the €2 menu,
    How can anyone expect to get a cow slaughtered, field harvested, cows milked, cheese made and crops picked in order to produce a cheese burger without cutting corners somewhere

I can do a burger for 2 euro, too ;)

So is it now about food safety, or about fair trade ideas???

Still can do 2 euro burger at home with all fresh ingredients.

I also bought some fresh green beans from supermarket, origin Kenya, for 1 euro...

How do you post a pack of beans from Kenya for 1 euro including growing it, cutting and labelling and keeping it refrigerated all the way to Ireland ???

Different scale, McDonald's don't just sell 2 of those an hour ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But again the €2 menu,

They get more than one burger meal from all that. 🙂

Economies of scale make that kind of pricing eminently possible.

I can do a burger for 2 euro, too ;)

So is it now about food safety, or about fair trade ideas???

Still can do 2 euro burger at home with all fresh ingredients.

I also bought some fresh green beans from supermarket, origin Kenya, for 1 euro...

How do you post a pack of beans from Kenya for 1 euro including growing it, cutting and labelling and keeping it refrigerated all the way to Ireland ???

Different scale, McDonald's don't just sell 2 of those an hour ;)

Have you factored in the ESB there and your personal time :pac:
    Those Brioche baps in Aldi I'd pay €4 for one of those on a boarger

Have you factored in the ESB there and your personal time :pac:
    Those Brioche baps in Aldi I'd pay €4 for one of those on a boarger

My personal time doesn't count as I like to cook. I could do it for free at McDonald's.

And I would kill it. The cost of gloves scares me a bit as I probably have to buy hundred of them at one go. Don't do that many to accept cost of that :)

Yeah that area too
    But again the €2 menu,

It's easier, more practical and simply more sensible to make all of those glove changing triggers hand-washing ones instead. Which is essentially what McDonald's and pretty much every other professional foodservice operation does.

As to your second point, economies of scale. Do you honestly think McDonald's is saving a few bob by skimping on hygiene???

Seriously, when are the schools back?

corkboy38 wrote: »
    I used to work in a place where we washed the deli cooking trays in the cash wash... hot chicken rolls were savage every time.

What the hell is cash wash?

Is it some sort of Breaking Bad reference?

Because if you were washing cooking trays in car wash, you should not disclose it. ;) Not in public.

• Advertisement

Somebody already mention America, eg their eggs need to be kept refrigerated, so they can do dirty business all the way to the market without any care about cleanliness at any stage.

Same with their glove business.

American food safety business could learn a lot from their European counterparts ;)

If you keep your hands clean there is nothing wrong.

Food standards in America are brutal.

Food standards in America are brutal.

That's why I was surprised people were linking it here.

They are just wrong about everything.

No system is perfect, but what we have here is well balanced system with no shortcuts.

Production sites are as clean as can be. Sure it is pain, farms and growers don't like some of it, but it keeps us out of trouble long term.

There is an outbreak of listeriosis in Spain at this moment despite all of those regulations.

Imagine how many of those we would have with less strict control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The issue with gloves, is that it can lead to people being more lax with hygiene. Gloves can also increase the chance of cross contamination. Such as someone preps a meat burger and veggie burger with the same gloves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They wear gloves in my local Centra when working at the deli it's still a filthy kip

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

McDonald’s customers should be allowed to inspect the kitchen and if wanted, ask for their food to be prepared with gloves... the customer is always right.
    Letting the customer in would be unhygienic. The customer is rarely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

the_syco wrote: »

And when they stick they're finger in the deep fat fryer just wait for the claims to roll in

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They wear gloves in my local Centra when working at the deli it's still a filthy kip

Centra also have an aptitude test on application for the job
    Best way I can put it.

It is actually interesting that customers would question food safety somewhere and still eat there.

Not sure how staged Gordon Ramsey videos are, but I have seen some poor practices and some of those looked believable.

Letting some customers in and letting them eat would be an equivalent of feeding a troll in real life :)

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They were being facetious.

Traces of facetious matter is a major food contaminant.

Advertisement