Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's staff not wearing gloves when handling food?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

wonski wrote: »

Different scale, McDonald's don't just sell 2 of those an hour ;)

They tend to make more than one burger from each cow too, which helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

the_syco wrote: »
    Letting the customer in would be unhygienic. The customer is rarely right.

The customer is always right me boys,
    The customer is always right,
    The son of a bitch might be rich so smile with all your might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i can.see how people.would be curious as to whether staff preparing food should be wearing gloves or not.

its lovely to think that everyone in a kitchen follows hand cleaning rules but tbh i doubt it.

ive seen staff standing outside restaurant back doors smoking, how do i really know each and everyone of them wash their hands properly when they go back in?
    after they use the toilet? ever?

it foesnt stop me eating out when i can but i try not to give it much thought or i think i never would:)

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Gloves aren't required when strict handwashing proceedures are in place. easy to Google this https://www.fsai.ie/faq/hand_washing.html#nine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

i can.see how people.would be curious as to whether staff preparing food should be wearing gloves or not.

its lovely to think that everyone in a kitchen follows hand cleaning rules but tbh i doubt it.

ive seen staff standing outside restaurant back doors smoking, how do i really know each and everyone of them wash their hands properly when they go back in?

it foesnt stop me eating out when i can but i try not to give it much thought or i think i never would:)

You don't know, you have to assume ;)

Speaking of McDonald's visit I kid you not when the first one opened in my City in Poland we went on a school trip and seen it all. All funded by them, we could do our own, got the balloons and all that. That was early 90's.

That wouldn't happen these days, still wondering what my School principle got for that ****e, probably a kettle and 50 euro voucher :)

Crazy days, like circle k giving stuff away now.

Wait a year and they will cover all roads. You will miss all other petrol stations. They are everywhere now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They tend to make more than one burger from each cow too, which helps.

Plus if they are like other restaurants its the drinks, desserts/treats, sides like fries where they look for big margins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So staff smoking out the back come back after finished cigarette put on gloves and don't wash hands. They use their bare hands to put on the gloves so whatever germs are on their hands go on the gloves think about it logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's one area you'll see a huge difference between well implement European approaches vs American approaches.

The European view is that you don't let the pathogens in due to having strong systems in place and controlling cross contamination. The Americans tend to go mad on gloves and chemicals, trying to kill or contain stuff that shouldn't have been allowed in in the first place.

Had to quote this.
    In one line about food hygenie, you've also managed to sum up the difference between European and US foreign policy and society in general! :pac:
    (great post btw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭inajock

Between hand washing sinks and and paper towels,disposable clean gloves it's very easy to keep your hands clean in any modern kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I will only eat in a McDonald’s where the kitchen is clearly visible.

So all of them then? you eat in all McDonald's :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Had to quote this.
    In one line about food hygenie, you've also managed to sum up the difference between European and US foreign policy and society in general! :pac:
    (great post btw!)

I've a speech to do soon about USA / Europe / brexit / food

I'll be incorporating that line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yelp should really have a symbol showing weather it’s a glove kitchen or glove free kitchen.... it’s fundamental information when selecting somewhere to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yelp should really have a symbol showing weather it’s a glove kitchen or glove free kitchen.... it’s fundamental information when selecting somewhere to eat

Your attempts at humour are not working. Do not post on this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,781 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

caff wrote: »
    Gloves aren't required when strict handwashing proceedures are in place. easy to Google this https://www.fsai.ie/faq/hand_washing.html#nine

Washing hands frequently is a major cause of dermatitis and will eventually cause the washer's hands to dry up and start cracking. Gloves are the way to go.

According to those guidelines, the person preparing the burger meat and salad/buns with their bare hands will need to wash their hands every couple of minutes through the day.

Anyway enjoy consuming pieces of adolescent skin flakes in your burger :)

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do you often see them removing the gloves to handle cash and then put on a fresh pair of gloves when handling food? You don't and that's more unhygienic than clean hands working on one station.

I certainly do at any deli I've been to... where the hell have you been eating? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Worked in one many moons ago
    There were gloves for the meat freezer but that's it

I still eat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

mrcheez wrote: »
    Washing hands frequently is a major cause of dermatitis and will eventually cause the washer's hands to dry up and start cracking. Gloves are the way to go.

According to those guidelines, the person preparing the burger meat and salad/buns with their bare hands will need to wash their hands every couple of minutes through the day.

Anyway enjoy consuming pieces of adolescent skin flakes in your burger :)

Why every few minutes? Every 15 minutes maybe.
    What sort of chemicals are you washing your hands with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

I got a craving for McDonald's last night because of this thread;
    Noticed none of them had gloves on;
    And the lady handling the cash then packed my order in to a bag without washing atall,
    Possible taste of rasher weather you asked for bacon or not lol

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

LenWoods wrote: »
    I got a craving for McDonald's last night because of this thread;
    Noticed none of them had gloves on;
    And the lady handling the cash then packed my order in to a bag without washing atall,
    Possible taste of rasher weather you asked for bacon or not lol

The lady packing your order didn't touch your food. The food is in boxes and cartons.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

The lady packing your order didn't touch your food. The food is in boxes and cartons.

No her palm touched all the top chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

LenWoods wrote: »
    No her palm touched all the top chips

Sure.

L1011 wrote: »
    Because you were too far away

Someone working with cooked food and doing nothing else does not need gloves.
    Someone working with cooked food and non-cooked food does
    cooked and uncooked yes. Non-cooked like burger buns no.

Right. I forgot that salad is cooked these days :rolleyes:

Being 1 m away from me, I had no problem seeing her grab a bun, grab the beef, grab a handful of lettuce and pat it all down nice n secure. Then proceed to do the same for the next 10 or so burgers.

Not to mention the poor pescatarians / vegans that get a nice dollop of beef juice on their buns :)

Anyway I later realised the point of posting here was moot as someone who eats at McDonalds has a lot more to worry about than whatever's under Chantelle's fingernails.

They do make some damn nice coffee though :D

You still have a limited grasp on what the actual risks are here. Gloves would do nothing unless changed multiple times per burger assembly

You still have a limited grasp on what the actual risks are here. Gloves would do nothing unless changed multiple times per burger assembly

You still have a limited grasp on what the standard procedure is anywhere else.

Go to Supervalu and ask them to make a roll, and they put on a brand new set of gloves, then throw them away before making the next roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Go to Supervalu and ask them to make a roll, and they put on a brand new set of gloves, then throw them away before making the next roll.

That would be due to allergies though :rolleyes:

Because one person is doing all the stages. That is not the case in McDonalds

This is going around in circles. You are arguing against internationally accepted safe food handling practices because it appears you don't understand them.

Most people realise when an entire thread, one or two joke-posters aside, point out that they are misinterpreting the situation that maybe they actually are.

If there isn't some return to actual valid conversation here this thread is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

But they don't tho..

And if they did, they should wash hands before putting on the new gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

You don't seem to wish to accept the difference between a deli with limited staff doing multiple tasks and a place like McDonald's where one staff member does the same task continuously for a set period.

If you see a deli salad prep area, where one person is spending their time on a single task of prepping, it's unlikely they will be wearing gloves.

Whereas at the counter they are handling meat / salad / money / cleaning cloths etc.

Hence where it's not suitable for washing hands between each task, gloves do the job.

You are arguing against internationally accepted safe food handling practices because it appears you don't understand them.

You seem to have missed where I pointed out this isn't the accepted safe food handling practice in other countries.
    If there isn't some return to actual valid conversation here this thread is done.

your call, I was quite enjoying this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Being 1 m away from me, I had no problem seeing her grab a bun, grab the beef, grab a handful of lettuce and pat it all down nice n secure. Then proceed to do the same for the next 10 or so burgers.

The counter is about 1m wide, where were they making the food, on the till?

Advertisement