Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Eurocylinder Lock? What are my options?

• 25-08-2019 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks.

I've been searching for months for a WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth App controlled Euro Cylinder lock.
    Ideally something that integrates with either the Tuya/Smartlife or eWeLink App ecosystems.

I've found something that ticks almost all the boxes apart from just one.
    https://banggood.app.link/r7MnaMIyqZ
    This needs a mijia gateway and ideally I don't want to add a gateway for a single use.

So my question for the forum is this.
    Has anyone found a similar cylinder?
    That allows remote lock/unlock and integrates with the Smartlife/Tuya or eWeLink ecosystems?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I've been searching for months for a WiFi/NFC/Bluetooth App controlled Euro Cylinder lock.
    Ideally something that integrates with either the Tuya/Smartlife or eWeLink App ecosystems.

I've found something that ticks almost all the boxes apart from just one.
    https://banggood.app.link/r7MnaMIyqZ
    This needs a mijia gateway and ideally I don't want to add a gateway for a single use.

So my question for the forum is this.
    Has anyone found a similar cylinder?
    That allows remote lock/unlock and integrates with the Smartlife/Tuya or eWeLink ecosystems?

Answering my own question here.
    If anyone encounters similar.

The VIMA smart cylinder really isn't all that "smart"
    In that it can't/doesnt detect when the door is actually locked/engaged and can't be locked or opened remotely.

It basically is just a tagged key notifier, rather than an actual smart lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

forget the brand but there was some up on screwfix

eusap wrote: »
    forget the brand but there was some up on screwfix

Thanks for that.

I've come to the conclusion that the Danalock V3 is probably closest to what I am after but far too pricey IMO

Ideally a lock body similar to the Xiaomi Aqara and Vima cylinders with a WiFi connection to allow connection to app and Bluetooth for Comms/unlock.

Get an actuator/motor in to those Xiaomi models and I foresee a hell of a lot of them being sold.

I have no use for transponder keys, but remote locking and unlock is a gamechanger.

So googling around has led me to Nuki, Entr, Keymitt, August, Danalock, Sherlock and a few others.

All of which require a bridge to use via Wifi.
    There is a gap IMO for a cylinder based EuroCylinder with mechanical actuation and Wifi + Bluetooth connectivity alá Smartlink, Tuya, MiHome and EwElink.

To my mind given that those platforms all allow for direct wifi connection and control without a bridge, surely it would be feasible for a manufacturer to have all necessary hardware in the cylinder on the internal side of the door?

I'm holding out hope that Xiaomi upgrade the VIMA or Aqara cylinder to allow a cylinder of this type of functionality...

I may be waiting a while yet to try and smartlock up my Mancave :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

The reason for the gap is probably power consumption.
    The protocols used on those bridges is usually low power. e.g. zigbee

Comparatively speaking wifi uses alot more power - so battery changes will be more frequent.

Coupled with the fact that is difficult enough to hardwire a lock on the door (since the lock is on the leaf of the door and you would have to run a wire across the hinged fulcrom) means that application will usually be battery based.
    Edit: That said, you can obviously put the locking hardware on the frame side, but it rules out retrofitting a cylinder.

It is unusual to see any wifi battery based iot products. The ones you commonly see (lights and light switches) have easy access to mains power.

Another Edit: Have you thought about using an ordinary hardwired electronic lock (that uses eg a 12v signal to open/close and hook it up to a wifi relay, e.g. sonoff) - obviously not a clean cut solution, but its cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nest Protect have a battery wifi version - but if it can talk to a Thermostat using a lower power protocol it does to save battery life (the Thermostat has mains or permanent 12/24v normally) Its likely the only major exception to the rule.

And its large enough to take 4x lithium AAs whereas most smart eurocylinder locks even with the large protrusions use button cells.

Thanks for the input folks.
    An easy solution for the automation of the lock would a sonoff relay with an output to a lock rocker installed on the frame.
    Unfortunately the projected use is in a set of French doors and there's no viable cable route available.

The units available with battery compartments on the internal side are improving and those with ZigBee and similar can do exactly what I'm after but given the location, I'd need to buy 2 gateways and it's that expense in particular I'm trying to avoid if possible.

There are rumblings of new locks coming based on esp8266 chipsets so Tasmoto and Home Assistant are all available options aswell as Tuya/Smartlife.

I'm looking at some alarm equipment based on the Tuya/Smartlife protocols that can also be switched over to home assistant and while home assistant does cover all the integration needed.
    I'm just trying to avoid multiple platforms to make my troubleshooting easier if and when ;)

Advertisement